Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i like the aesthetic of the psx jitteriness but i know that's probably due some to nostalgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

American McGay posted:

Where's the lie?

some of the best sprite work in 2D games ever made, some of the best pre-rendered backgrounds in history? If you mean character models, then yeah, some games look bad, but stuff like FF9, RE2/3, Silent Hill, Ridge Racer 4, ect, look fantastic (especially on an emulator these days like Duckstation) where N64 can't even get emulation right

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Example: Chrono Cross

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mycophobia posted:

those arent real consoles

Obviously

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Durrr the worst console is this virtual boy I took a poo poo in.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

That Little Demon posted:

you mean unique games for 3DO? then yes, agreed

lol yeah. i spent a minute or two trying to think of something unique the 3DO had and couldnt come up with anything. even the jaguar had alien vs predator.

Wikipedia Article for the 3DO posted:

Best-selling game Gex, over 1 million

lmao

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I liked n64 better than psx back then but I haven't played an n64 game since the ps2 came out and i've played thousands of hours of psx games since then.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
n64 controller is better than psx controller too

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

scary ghost dog posted:

absolutely

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Can’t say anything about consoles I never played. The worst I owned was probably the Xbox if I had to rank them. 32X is definitely the worst if that counts.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
did psx have one of these babies you could jam in it and leave uncovered so your console looks like a hot rod? didnt think so

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
although this is the best controller from the PSX/N64 era

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

no way lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

*Thinks of a certain goldmined thread for no reason*

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
the original psx controller is a nightmare

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

being a n64 kid was fine, we just played mario 64 and ocarina for 300 hours each and never noticed that there werent other games

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I went snes -> psx growing up and I'm glad of it. Psx no contest.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
My friend introduced me to playstation by being like dude I have to show you the funniest game I've ever played and he brought over his psx and resident evil 1 and we spent the whole day laughing at the godlike voice acting. Then another friend introduced me to ffvii and rpgs and that was a wrap.

N64 is sick, but in the eternal words of Chad Warden, come on now!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i remember arguing with a psx kid about whether Zelda 64 or FF7 was going to be better. my first taste of the console wars..

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

mycophobia posted:

the crunchiness/jitteriness of the psx always looked way worse to me than the blurriness/muddiness of the n64. the early fully polygonal days were rough no matter what though, didnt really come into their own until the gc/ps2/xbo era

Dreamcast erasure smh

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

FF7 coming to the PSX was reason enough for me to buy it over the N64

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
always important to have an N64 for sleepovers as a kid - goldeneye, perfect dark, mario kart, smash

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Late night 4 player NFL blitz parties ftw

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
God drat I forgot about Blitz. N64 was such a party console.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Food Boner posted:

Dreamcast erasure smh

oh yeah oops

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i never asked my parents for any toys other than video games so i ended up eventually getting every major system during its generation. the only kid i was..... was a Gamer kid

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

always important to have an N64 for sleepovers as a kid - goldeneye, perfect dark, mario kart, smash

you're right that n64 had great sleepover games. which one was the really great pro wrestling game

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

if i had a gun to my head psx but n64 had some real killer poo poo too. imo wii is the worst nintendo console

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you're right that n64 had great sleepover games. which one was the really great pro wrestling game

all of them

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Fungah! posted:

all of them

well tbh all stars was pretty bad they were good starting with wcw nwo revenge

Wtf why did I say all stars I meant world tour that one was too slow

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fungah! posted:

all of them
*every old YCS poster coming in with everything for a HUGE empty quote*

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

mario golf, mario tennis, mario party, mario kart, and mario smash brothers stay winning

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
My mom bought me Gex: Enter the Gecko for N64 and I was reading the manual to her on the way home, but stopped when I came to "Mission Briefing" because I had a vague idea of what briefs were and thought it was a sexual term

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

we got an n64 for christmas with mario 64. then sometime later we got a playstation and my brother and i were looking at the games. we were gonna get FF7 but it was over our allotted budget so we picked FFT without knowing anything about it because hey it's also final fantasy. gotta be good right. and it was.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I played the tutorial and snow level of Gex 3 probably 500 times as a kid but never went further because the next one was a Vampire level and it scared me too much.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

My mom bought me Gex: Enter the Gecko for N64 and I was reading the manual to her on the way home, but stopped when I came to "Mission Briefing" because I had a vague idea of what briefs were and thought it was a sexual term

Well, just judging by the 90s it was probably made by perverts. So who’s to say

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Had a bachelor party a couple of months ago that was 100% playing n64 games while drinking and partaking in edibles. It was awesome.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

absolutely anything posted:

i never asked my parents for any toys other than video games so i ended up eventually getting every major system during its generation. the only kid i was..... was a Gamer kid

Yeah same here, but I only got games/consoles on Christmas so there were years gaps between me having certain consoles. I had an N64 before a Playstation. FF7 was what made me ask for a Playstation, my mom was pissed when I told her the characters swear in it lol. But everyone in my 5th grade class was playing it and we would swap tips and rumors about reviving Aeris and stuff. And no one believed me when I said I beat Emerald Weapon.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i never wanted a playstation because the first time i ever saw one it was in the waiting room at the dentist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

To my knowledge there were no games where you could play as TipTup on the PS1