Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hooah posted:

Win + F doesn't do anything for me either, on Windows 11. I didn't go out of my way to turn off extra telemetry stuff; not sure what all I left enabled when I installed 10 on this machine.

Try Alt+F4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

i vomit kittens posted:

fwiw, I manually installed on my incompatible CPU (a 7700k) and have had zero issues so far. some people were worried about not being able to receive updates via windows update but i've gotten those as well

Same. MS said that if you override the check you're not entitled to updates, and some people interpreted that as "you won't get updates, period." It seems what it actually meant was "we're not going to guarantee updates won't stop at some point, intentionally or otherwise."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
After I enabled fTPM to fix the complaint about my not having TPM, PC Health Check now returns... literally nothing. Windows Update screen tells me my PC is still not compatible.

The closest thing I could find about this is someone who couldn't update because their organization managed updates for their computer, but this is my computer. Anyone know what's going on?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Get the Media Creation Tool and update through that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm working through a Go course and using WSL2 to run my code on the command line. I've just created a web server, and every single time I start it up I get the Windows Firewall popping up to ask if I want to allow main to commmunicate on private or public networks. How can I tell it "Always allow"? That isn't an obvious option.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hooah posted:

I'm working through a Go course and using WSL2 to run my code on the command line. I've just created a web server, and every single time I start it up I get the Windows Firewall popping up to ask if I want to allow main to commmunicate on private or public networks. How can I tell it "Always allow"? That isn't an obvious option.

Normally allow is always allow. You're getting reset all the time, I'd suspect because every time you recompile it changes the signature. Or maybe it's WSL?

If you're at home and behind a half-decent router, you could just turn off firewall on private networks for the time being.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Klyith posted:

Normally allow is always allow. You're getting reset all the time, I'd suspect because every time you recompile it changes the signature. Or maybe it's WSL?

If you're at home and behind a half-decent router, you could just turn off firewall on private networks for the time being.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's the recompiling that's doing it. I'll look into turning off the firewall for a bit, thanks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Multi monitor people, try running a game on your main and then a video in VLC on your secondary. My second is portrait also btw. 2080.

Movies & TV app is still trash. Try to open an AVI, it wont play until I start moving the bar and then I get these god awful loud crackling noises, used to happen in w10 as well, so thats not fixed at all. But then VLC has the aforementioned issue. Video just chugs along and is a very slow slideshow. Comes back to itself when the game loses full screen focus.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I run 2 games at 1440p plus on two monitors and extra 1080p with Netflix or vlc. Runs very smoothly.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't have that issue, but I run everything in borderless windowed because fullscreen absolutely sucks to use with multiple monitors. I'm honestly not sure what the point of fullscreen in games is anymore, borderless windowed has worked just as well for over a decade at this point.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Klyith posted:

I tried that, but there's an easier way, as it turns out. At least for Go.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

codo27 posted:

Multi monitor people, try running a game on your main and then a video in VLC on your secondary. My second is portrait also btw. 2080.

Movies & TV app is still trash. Try to open an AVI, it wont play until I start moving the bar and then I get these god awful loud crackling noises, used to happen in w10 as well, so thats not fixed at all. But then VLC has the aforementioned issue. Video just chugs along and is a very slow slideshow. Comes back to itself when the game loses full screen focus.

Using VLC (and youtube if that counts), I've been playing 3 or 4 different games recently on my main monitor with videos on the other with no slowdown or issues. This is on a 1060. One of my monitors is portrait, still no issues. Sounds like you have something borked on your end somewhere.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Hi all,
This isn't specific to Windows 11 but it has plagued me on Windows 10 for years, and the saga continues.

When my machine first starts up, windows has the System Properties> Advanced> Performance> Settings> Animate windows when minimising and maximising checked, and honours this setting. Within the time it takes to startup all the background stuff, at some point that setting gets changed to off, and those animations are no longer active.

The last time I had that setting deliberately switched off was in Windows 7 because there were a few missing animation frames with it activated, and it looked awful.

I'm not sure why this is happening - it occurs whether or not I have settings syncing to my Microsoft account. Initially I set this Windows 11 install up with a purely local account, but at some point in setting everything else up, this setting has been cleared again.

Is there some way I can view what's switching this off? Event Viewer? Pay a psychic?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You probably have to take an experimental approach, disable some programs/services that start in the background on boot, until the problem goes away.
There could be something that prevents the animations from happening as long as it's running.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Fame Douglas posted:

Get the Media Creation Tool and update through that.

This is what I did for my 4 y/o processor. :corsair:

It helps to know you can just run setup on the removable media from windows 10 initially, rather than boot from it, if you want to update. You just have to rename, move or delete "appraiserres.dll" from the "sources" directory on the USB.

Finally figuring that out saved me a lot of time and trepidation about creating another dumb partition and not migrating apps/data.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

So one of my machines has got everything for win11 but a tpm module and there is no option to enable it in the bios (Gigabyte B365M-DS3H). I have to buy a physical add on card for ~$20, but its back ordered to hell. Thoughts on installing 11 anyway and then throwing the add on card in at some point in the next year or so after the rush has died down? I built the thing last year so it seems silly to declare it dead so soon.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Antillie posted:

So one of my machines has got everything for win11 but a tpm module and there is no option to enable it in the bios (Gigabyte B365M-DS3H). I have to buy a physical add on card for ~$20, but its back ordered to hell. Thoughts on installing 11 anyway and then throwing the add on card in at some point in the next year or so after the rush has died down? I built the thing last year so it seems silly to declare it dead so soon.

Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) -> Enabled

Hey barnold, can you put the 2 standard names for on-chip TPM in mobo bios (Intel PTT / Platform Trust Technology and AMD fTPM) in the OP or that 2nd post? The way that the intel version is named something totally different than TPM confuses a lot of people.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Klyith posted:

Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) -> Enabled

Hey barnold, can you put the 2 standard names for on-chip TPM in mobo bios (Intel PTT / Platform Trust Technology and AMD fTPM) in the OP or that 2nd post? The way that the intel version is named something totally different than TPM confuses a lot of people.

Thanks. I was looking for Intel PTT and just didn't see it somehow. Clearly I am getting too old for this poo poo.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-releases-the-first-preview-of-android-apps-on-windows

I'm not in the US, so someone else, tell us how it is!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Let me know when someone figures out how to get around the Amazon store only requirement. I'll give it another try if they do

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Klyith posted:

done!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I feel like the maximum sound volume is way quieter since I upgraded????? Is this a known thing to happen? Trying to avoid allowing the crab back into my windows install but am I just going to have to accept defeat here?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

site posted:

Let me know when someone figures out how to get around the Amazon store only requirement. I'll give it another try if they do

I see this: https://mspoweruser.com/how-to-sideload-any-android-app-apk-on-windows-11/

Looks like no Google Play services means bad bad things. I was looking forward to the Google apps at the very least.. Gmail, etc. Not happening. On the other hand maybe I can use Poweramp on Windows now. That could be fun.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

C'mon now. I dont think there is any sensible reason to bother with an android media player on your PC.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

C'mon now. I dont think there is any sensible reason to bother with an android media player on your PC.

I like it a lot is about the only reason. I use Foobar a lot but man, the interface is rough. Also Poweramp has great EQ which I enjoy using.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

I feel like the maximum sound volume is way quieter since I upgraded????? Is this a known thing to happen? Trying to avoid allowing the crab back into my windows install but am I just going to have to accept defeat here?

Sound got louder for me, actually. Do you have some random realtek sound control panel installed that had its gain setting reset, maybe?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Boo. I can't get into the insider channels since I don't have a qualifying system. Oh well. I'll just wait for it to fully release.

I have an android phone, though, so even if they block it from release, I'm not buying a new computer to run Android apps.

Also: IIRC, you could theoretically sideload the same apps you do on a Fire to get Google services if you can sideload. Most of them are generic without pixel densities, etc specified.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Sound got louder for me, actually. Do you have some random realtek sound control panel installed that had its gain setting reset, maybe?

I don't have any realtek drivers installed just yet.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Are Canadians able to get the android subsystem?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

redeyes posted:

I like it a lot is about the only reason. I use Foobar a lot but man, the interface is rough. Also Poweramp has great EQ which I enjoy using.

But neither of those really whip the llama's rear end?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So why exactly is everyone so hot for Windows Defender, anyway? Today I downloaded an ostensible crack for Far Cry 6 to see whether Denuvo is loving with my system or not. The thing is throwing me tons of notifications about the executables and I keep telling it to remove it. It's doing gently caress all (i.e. it doesn't quarantine nor delete the files) except bothering me. And I haven't even ran the files. It's just Defender being stupid. Nevermind the UI is atrocious, anyway.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

So why exactly is everyone so hot for Windows Defender, anyway? Today I downloaded an ostensible crack for Far Cry 6 to see whether Denuvo is loving with my system or not. The thing is throwing me tons of notifications about the executables and I keep telling it to remove it. It's doing gently caress all (i.e. it doesn't quarantine nor delete the files) except bothering me. And I haven't even ran the files. It's just Defender being stupid. Nevermind the UI is atrocious, anyway.

Welll because the other options are even worse?!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

redeyes posted:

Welll because the other options are even worse?!
Well, poo poo. :mad:

--edit:
At what point in time did NOD32 fall from grace, anyway? Everyone used to swoon for it back in the day.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 21, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

Are Canadians able to get the android subsystem?

US only for now: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/10/20/announcing-android-apps-on-windows-11-preview-for-windows-insiders-in-the-beta-channel/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

So why exactly is everyone so hot for Windows Defender, anyway?
because the alternatives are worse.

Defender is the first AV that I've felt was acceptable enough to be worth running at all. For all of the years I used 7 I just didn't have AV (other than some not-always-running anti-malware stuff) and was just very careful.

quote:

Today I downloaded an ostensible crack for Far Cry 6 to see whether Denuvo is loving with my system or not. The thing is throwing me tons of notifications about the executables and I keep telling it to remove it. It's doing gently caress all (i.e. it doesn't quarantine nor delete the files) except bothering me. And I haven't even ran the files. It's just Defender being stupid. Nevermind the UI is atrocious, anyway.

They've been doing bullshit with putting cracks and the like in the blacklist for a while now, it's annoying but MS gonna MS.

However if this was just flagging you with notifications rather than actually quarantining the files, it's probably the "reputation based protection". Turn off smartscreen & "potentially unwanted app blocking" if you like to run whatever stuff from the internet and only want protection from actual viruses.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Far Cry 6 hasn't been cracked yet, so weird behaviour aside Defender is probably correctly identifying something malicious masquerading as a crack

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I..... I don't know how I should reply to this and I dont even know why i typed the words. Just thank you for you and your kind keeping me employed forever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

repiv posted:

Far Cry 6 hasn't been cracked yet, so weird behaviour aside Defender is probably correctly identifying something malicious masquerading as a crack
I'm not disputing that it was a trojan. What is bothering me is that I have about 30 entries in the Defender protection log that it removed or quarantined the threat, yet I had to delete the executables myself to make it shut up about it.

Sickening posted:

I..... I don't know how I should reply to this and I dont even know why i typed the words. Just thank you for you and your kind keeping me employed forever.
I downloaded the "crack" and immediately sicced Defender onto it. :confused:

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

I've had a weird issue with Media Player Classic since upgrading. Now the audio on any videos is way quieter than normal but as soon as I toggle subtitles on and back off the volume goes straight back to normal and stays there. No idea where to even begin trying to figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Toast King posted:

I've had a weird issue with Media Player Classic since upgrading. Now the audio on any videos is way quieter than normal but as soon as I toggle subtitles on and back off the volume goes straight back to normal and stays there. No idea where to even begin trying to figure that out.

Is it related to the videos you're playing?

I have Animaniacs up on MPC-BE right now and it's loud af. Generally when I have a video that's just quiet I fiddle around in Options -> Audio -> Sound Processing and then check Boost Audio or something around there.

No audio issues for me on 22000.258