Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh no it's mirror universe zizek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My least favorite thing from these recent elections was people pointing at someone being wacky and quirky and going "oh, that means they're harmless and fine!" Sure worked out well for Trump. :v:

Please don't lionize the lady who convinced people to not take medication for their physical and mental illnesses.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Midnight Voyager posted:

My least favorite thing from these recent elections was people pointing at someone being wacky and quirky and going "oh, that means they're harmless and fine!" Sure worked out well for Trump. :v:

Please don't lionize the lady who convinced people to not take medication for their physical and mental illnesses.

My least favorite thing is people failing to point out how she's materially worse than what we got instead. No one is lionizing her. Just pointing out it's weird she's held to a different standard than the other politicians. The folks saying she got a bad wrap say "She advocated for actual good policies while campaigning, and those were never interfaced with" and in response you uh, don't talk about those policy positions.
Like itt the only defense of her has been two factually correct positions: Mayor Pete is no more qualified to head the DOT than her and she advocated for reparations and dismantling the department of defense.

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Oct 16, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I don’t really get the point of defending her that way considering that defense is a lovely rationalization.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

HMMM :thunk:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It can be true that mainstream politicians are bad and also Marianne Williamson is bad for different reasons. There are many many different ways to be bad.

My belief that Williamson is a disingenuous grifter should not be understood as my being in favor of the Department of Defense. I am also in favor of demilitarization, I just don’t have “replace it with prayer” as my plan.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Oct 16, 2021

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1449464678158118913?s=20

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

That is just.... :suicide101:

E: Ok, looks like I'm the idiot again. It seems that Russian bread and other lines were not as bad as my personal experience, which was bread lines in a freshly capitalist society (90s Croatia). It wasn't just distribution, but lines to get the cheapest, "black" (whole wheat?) bread, which is very different.

gbut has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Oct 17, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean it’s also weird in that America also has its own equivalent of bread lines and they don’t foster unity.

More like barely restrained hostility

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

And you can't even eat whatever you're camping out for.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
When there is a shortage in a Communist country, it is proof that Communism doesn't work. When there is a shortage in a Capitalist country, that is just the market working as intended. Ditto for things like corruption.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

gbut posted:

That is just.... :suicide101:

E: Ok, looks like I'm the idiot again. It seems that Russian bread and other lines were not as bad as my personal experience, which was bread lines in a freshly capitalist society (90s Croatia). It wasn't just distribution, but lines to get the cheapest, "black" (whole wheat?) bread, which is very different.

Yeah most of the nostalgia is because capitalism turbofucked nearly all former communist countries in the 90's. In many nothing got better and a ton of things got worse for the average person. I can see why someone who was alive before things started collapsing in the 70's and 80's would want stability and a society that at least owed you food, shelter, and medicine even if it didn't always deliver vs one that gives no shits if you die and has seen 10+ years shaved off the average lifespan in the decades following.
Though I'm just talking about Russia there, not every country has had as bad a post soviet run.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I mean, I’ve heard old Londoners talking about the wonderful friends they made in the air-raid shelters and how they miss the Blitz spirit, and various old people in the US talking about the beautiful communities that arose in response to the Depression/World War II/the criminalization of homosexuality/racial segregation.

Nostalgia in general is a hell of a drug.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean some of that is actually true, but like, I think most people would hopefully understand that this does not mean we should continue the bad things that caused that sense of camraderie.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My girlfriend's dad got deported by the USSR and still has nostalgia for it. She and her siblings do too, kind of, but it died when she was an infant so I trust dad more.

I think it's valid to miss the good bits even if there were also bad bits.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Coolness Averted posted:

My least favorite thing is people failing to point out how she's materially worse than what we got instead. No one is lionizing her. Just pointing out it's weird she's held to a different standard than the other politicians. The folks saying she got a bad wrap say "She advocated for actual good policies while campaigning, and those were never interfaced with" and in response you uh, don't talk about those policy positions.
Like itt the only defense of her has been two factually correct positions: Mayor Pete is no more qualified to head the DOT than her and she advocated for reparations and dismantling the department of defense.

She repeatedly advised AIDS patients to stop taking their meds and later denied doing so

So gently caress you and your lovely rationalizations. Pete might not be any better but she definitely is equally monstrous

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Improbable Lobster posted:

She repeatedly advised AIDS patients to stop taking their meds and later denied doing so

So gently caress you and your lovely rationalizations. Pete might not be any better but she definitely is equally monstrous

Personally I think Biden's vote to ban people with AIDS from entering the US in the 80's is a little worse. idk though, I'm just rationalizing something or at least that's a word goons keep dropping, maybe I don't know what that word means.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
elevate alternative sexual archetypes in the marketplace ('fastest mario')

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Coolness Averted posted:

Personally I think Biden's vote to ban people with AIDS from entering the US in the 80's is a little worse. idk though, I'm just rationalizing something or at least that's a word goons keep dropping, maybe I don't know what that word means.
Sorry, worse than actively convincing people to kill themselves?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
If one feels so inclined, a little reading.

Marianne Williamson is a controversial AIDS-crisis figure for gay men

The Gospel According to Marianne Williamson

Marianne Williamson Is Full of It

Into America's Spiritual Void With Marianne Williamson

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
She literally was delivering AIDS medications while the government (including Joe Biden) were saying we deserved to die of it, the quotes used are almost exclusively from her talking about extremely terminal cases from a 'it's best to make peace with reality and try to have a good quality of your last days' standpoint that's incredibly non-controversial and I'm absolutely willing to say her decades of work with AIDS medication and prevention charities has outweighed any woo woo poo poo she did.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

sexpig by night posted:

She literally was delivering AIDS medications while the government (including Joe Biden) were saying we deserved to die of it, the quotes used are almost exclusively from her talking about extremely terminal cases from a 'it's best to make peace with reality and try to have a good quality of your last days' standpoint that's incredibly non-controversial and I'm absolutely willing to say her decades of work with AIDS medication and prevention charities has outweighed any woo woo poo poo she did.
Okay, fair. I think I'm just annoyed at people trying to counter things with 'well x is worse' instead of... actually providing information that she didn't do the thing people are talking about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Why don’t you support a good candidate that has no chance to win rather than a poo poo meme candidate that has no chance of winning?

Like what are you accomplishing here?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1449416641687719937?t=arIlG1M-pwyd6j9CtWfqIw&s=19

Ok, dude who hasn't done anything of note since

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why don’t you support a good candidate that has no chance to win rather than a poo poo meme candidate that has no chance of winning?

Like what are you accomplishing here?

is anyone here 'supporting' her or are you just mad that someone's arguing with you

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dude do you not remember his opus of American Carol, where Frasier sees the ghost of Patton telling him to stop being a pussy or whatever

e: I'm sorry, I forgot, Frasier IS Patton leading a not-Michael Moore through a journey to stop being such a liberal pussy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

is anyone here 'supporting' her or are you just mad that someone's arguing with you

I have no idea what this means

Frankly i don’t think you do either

But you hope it’s clever

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OnlyBans posted:

When there is a shortage in a Communist country, it is proof that Communism doesn't work. When there is a shortage in a Capitalist country, that is just the market working as intended. Ditto for things like corruption.

This isn't actually true but I doubt anything will change your stupid mind. Stupid. Stupid!

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I, also, am angry about politics

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

From a tweet where some soldier is holding up a "I am under duress" sign while getting his vax shot. The conversation continues, with the original poster saying "I dunno, it always tasted funny to me" and so on. Neither of them seems aware that the warning label is there because canteen manufacturers have to solve for a volunteer army potentially stupid enough to try and boil water over a burner in their plastic canteens.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

then you'll love this!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Coolness Averted posted:

then you'll love this!

Maybe it's because I've been drinking but what exactly are they expecting social workers to do about carjackings? Unless that's why it's IOSM in the first place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The NFTs are all ugly interchangeable algorithm-generated pogs probably because A: that gives you a bunch of pictures with a recognisable style for cheap, and 2: For the same reason that stereotypical Nigeran prince scammers have bad spelling and grammar, because you're going for marks who are idiots and want to filter out people who'll actually ask questions. And also have the worst taste in everything- you go for the absolute minimum effort because it's not like you want to waste money on good art.

A lot also makes sense when you realise NFTs are very heavily astroturfed by Twitter bots and such, aimed at a particular crowd of twitchy idiots to make them think 'Everyone else is buying them, I need to get in on this before it's too late!' It's deliberately meant to be obnoxious and in your face, because a certain kind of nerd with too much free time and disposable income responds to that by throwing money at it.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

What else is worth getting angry about?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Anime

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

That thing where you can’t find your phone and you spend ages looking for your phone and then you realize that your phone is in your hand and that’s why you couldn’t find it

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This isn't actually true but I doubt anything will change your stupid mind. Stupid. Stupid!

I mean, America had and has massive food insecurity but Soviet Russia had bread lines!

American politicians get rich from Covid due to their market foreknowledge, but in Soviet Russia high ranking party members had access to better caviar! Clearly the former is acceptable and the latter is corruption.

OnlyBans has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Oct 17, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe it's because I've been drinking but what exactly are they expecting social workers to do about carjackings? Unless that's why it's IOSM in the first place.

They're just going "You claim to hate cops. Yet you don't call a social worker while being mugged. Curious! :smug:"
But they're not even talking to someone who said ACAB or something. Just quoting a sign saying
"Call the cops if you see a crime being committed," and chortling at a lib in their head.

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

christmas boots posted:

That thing where you can’t find your phone and you spend ages looking for your phone and then you realize that your phone is in your hand and that’s why you couldn’t find it

Me watching my friend turn on the torch function on their phone to look for the phone in their hand : sorry I don't know where your phone is, I shall just observe your search progress