Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Community did that and it was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A clip show of episodes that don't exist :science:

Always Sunny kinda did this anyway

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This show has already done the clip episode thing. It was one of the better S1 episodes.

e: and they did it again this season with the training pod episode. That's basically what those were.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I love watching a Trek set on a ship that isn’t lit like a nuclear sub in a movie

The funny thing is, Russian nuclear subs were painted beige inside.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arglebargle III posted:

That's so the zampolits don't see the tea.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

I didn't know they rented.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Community did that and it was great

Clerks did it even better.

They did the clip show on the second episode and kept flashing back to last week as a running gag in between flashing back to things we never saw.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

blastron posted:

I can't wait for fifteen years from now when people stop complaining that Discovery isn't "Trek", as has happened to literally every other show in the series that people didn't like or, to be real, as has happened to literally every other installment in a media franchise that people didn't like.

I am sorry, I even broke my slumberish read of last thousand posts since I've been here, so irritated I am and willing to ask.

Which "other show in the series" literally hosed up with writing, continuity, reimagining known races, relied on the first and most iconic character (from other show!!!111one), rewrote canon, then again, and again, dropped famous OST cues in favour of generic tik-tok beat and had the show center around a crying mary sue with penchant for drama? And hell, lasted for 3+ seasons?

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 17, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It felt like the characters calmed down a bit and Mariner went from being at a perpetual 10 to maybe an 8 or 9, plus Tendi and Rutherford are great.

It feels like Mariner and Boimler hit a turning point around the Kirk bar thing. That episode did a lot for both of their characters.

Hell Mariner's kind of matured from open rebellion to bending the rules (mostly) for the sake of the mission which is a big change. I think Boihmler's rubbed off on her and he's gained some of her confidence.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Erulisse posted:

I am sorry, I even broke my slumberish read of last thousand posts since I've been here, so irritated I am and willing to ask.

Which "other show in the series" literally hosed up with writing, continuity, reimagining known races, relied on the first and most iconic character (from other show!!!111one), rewrote canon, then again, and again, dropped famous OST cues in favour of generic tik-tok beat and had the show center around a crying mary sue with penchant for drama? And hell, lasted for 3+ seasons?

The series that seems to be in your head doesn’t match the one that actually exists, friend. Perhaps you might want to rewatch it? Most Trek is better on a rewatch, anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

blastron posted:

The series that seems to be in your head doesn’t match the one that actually exists, friend. Perhaps you might want to rewatch it? Most Trek is better on a rewatch, anyway.

No that’s a pretty accurate if somewhat over dramatic description of discover

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

CharlestheHammer posted:

The dramatization is the entire point. People massively over-exaggerate a series’s flaws, take that to be fact, and then declare it to be terrible based on those exaggerations. If you don’t like something? Fine. But dislike it on its own demerits, not the ones you tell yourself it has to justify how much you hate it.

e: Didn’t we just have the discussion where someone was all “Discovery thinks dilithium is fuel, way to ignore the canon you lazy hacks” and then we went over, with sources, how they were wrong, and had exaggerated their own misunderstanding to justify their presupposed belief that the writers don’t pay attention to continuity?

blastron fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 17, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I meant the over dramatic part was the way it was posted, like he was mad, nothing to do with the content. It’s a bad TV show it’s not that deep

I guess calling the music tic tok quality is debateable but honestly that is a pretty minor quibble

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Erulisse posted:

Is this satire, or did you actually not realize you're describing TNG

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blastron posted:

e: Didn’t we just have the discussion where someone was all “Discovery thinks dilithium is fuel, way to ignore the canon you lazy hacks” and then we went over, with sources, how they were wrong, and had exaggerated their own misunderstanding to justify their presupposed belief that the writers don’t pay attention to continuity?

No we just had the discussion where someone was all Dilithium isn't Warp Gas and then we had several pages of discussion about how yes, that's true there are actually lots of ways to go to warp

You may be remembering the multitude of people so excited to correct the record by pointing out that, yes Dilithium is a consumable resource, that they skipped ahead to post it even though several people already had, and even though that wasn't really the initial point

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

Over dramatic is the general characteristic of DIS, can't mention it without being overly dramatic

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Dilithium makes them go.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Erulisse posted:

I remember usenet nerds complaining DS9 wasn't trek because they didn't do any treking. Star-sit-in-a-space-station.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

I remember usenet nerds complaining DS9 wasn't trek because they didn't do any treking. Star-sit-in-a-space-station.

I remember my uncle complaining to my father that Next Generation wasn’t real Trek because “they’ve got a blind man flying the ship and a goddamned klingon as a security officer!”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

XboxPants posted:

Is this satire, or did you actually not realize you're describing TNG

TNG explicitly distanced itself from TOS, it didn't rely on and reimagine it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

All clips from Star Trek: The Animated Series

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Finally got around to the finale. How is Lower Decks so good. How does it keep getting better?

Also that John Eaves-esgue Excelsior class ship was probably one the best modern Trek ship designs. I love it!.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lower Decks is good. It's nice to have new Star Trek to look forward to. Less good that it's gone for a year. :argh:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grand Fromage posted:

Lower Decks is good. It's nice to have new Star Trek to look forward to. Less good that it's gone for a year. :argh:

Yeah this is where the 10 episode seasons really hurt. With a 22 episode season you get half a year of content. The longest wait was about 4 months, because those 22 episodes weren't always all in a row, sometimes there wasn't an episode for 2 or 3 weeks (specials, playoffs, etc.)

Now it's 2 months of content followed by 10 months of waiting. :(

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Discovery is Trek. It's just really bad Trek.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

TNG explicitly distanced itself from TOS, it didn't rely on and reimagine it.
Yeah I didn’t know until years later that in the show bible they talk about how they want to avoid TOS stuff. To the point where they don’t even want to show Vulcans on the ship. I don’t believe you see any Vulcans until after Roddenberry died.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

But then how did the Naked Now work when that's explicitly reference the Naked Time?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

There's a whole thing where Majel recorded a bunch of sounds but sounds do not a voice simulator make and it's extremely complex or we'd see a lot more deepVoicing around, also there may be money issues. I was just thinking they were going to snip the audio out of the TNG previously on.

To my recollection, the team that did the Android voice interface had a working prototype of this in the early days, (they really wanted to respond to "Computer" in the canonical voice) but it never made it to production due to inability to hammer out a reasonable licensing deal with the rights holders.

I was later shocked when Verizon did "Droid", but apparently Lucasfilm has very reasonable rates (at least vs the marketing & advertising budgets of major cellular carriers) for licensing Star Wars related names, art, etc...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's compressed, but Rutherford's memories that flash past as he's purging redundant copies has a bit of that...

Related: Venture Bros features an episode (Escape to the House of Mummies Part II) that is a Part II for a Part I that does not exist.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

I'm pretty sure Voyager had at least one episode where they did a "Previously on Star Trek Voyager" bit but showed a bunch of new stuff that wasn't actually "Previously on".

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Nullsmack posted:

I'm pretty sure Voyager had at least one episode where they did a "Previously on Star Trek Voyager" bit but showed a bunch of new stuff that wasn't actually "Previously on".

Yeah but like most things Voyager you were busy being assaulted by unlikable characters so much you couldn't understand the plot.

This is better than discovery which has 1 unlikable character and the rest just background characters saying rhubarb over and over to prevent them from being paid speaking actor rates

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ransom is very clearly naked in this shot, yet both Tendi and Rutherford have chosen to draw him wearing trousers and boots

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Keeping all three legs adequately covered

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I didn’t know until years later that in the show bible they talk about how they want to avoid TOS stuff. To the point where they don’t even want to show Vulcans on the ship. I don’t believe you see any Vulcans until after Roddenberry died.

Nah, I think there's at least one background Vulcan in Farpoint, plus there's Dr. Selar in second season's The Schizoid Man, plus Sarek and his attendant Vulcan assistant in third season's Sarek.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spock cast a long shadow. It makes sense to have minimized vulcans for a while and get some other stuff happening with the bridge crew than just Spock2.

:spock:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Facebook Aunt posted:

Spock cast a long shadow. It makes sense to have minimized vulcans for a while and get some other stuff happening with the bridge crew than just Spock2.

:spock:

Plus I’m not sure how they’d fit a giant Leonard Nimoy into the sets.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Plus I’m not sure how they’d fit a giant Leonard Nimoy into the sets.

Animation!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The best one of these is the Warehouse 13 finale. They wrapped up the main story one episode early, so they could goof off with the last having everyone show their favourite/defining moments as a Warehouse Agent.

All of them events that never actually occurred during the series, and are just fun little vignettes for their own sake. Including an amazing tap-dance musical number :allears:.

42nd STREEEEET!

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 17, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

This all boils down to "Theres no spock it aint a trek!", whilst DIS has every other notion of trek, just poo poo.
Hell, even Seth McF's fan trek is more trek. And Orville is even more.
Even Picard, for how shite it is, is closer to trek than DIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I love how Rutherford's image is more realistic as a drawing even outside the show, meanwhile Tendi's is more cartoonish with the real deal being in-between. Just a nice touch