Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

People who don't understand the underlying technology will latch onto key words and phrases like they're magical spells. "My computer is slower than it was last year! Do I need to defrag? What about cleaning the registry? I got a CD for McAfee, should I install that along with Norton and Avast? What if I use 5G instead of 2G on my router?"

They don't know what the words mean, they just know someone on TV or in a store said them once or twice, and now it's all they can think about when something goes wrong.

Everything is a virus.

Medullah posted:

That said, I've been having some weird network issues. Are there any good network monitoring tools that will analyze what my PC is sending? I know Wireshark is the go to but easy to read it is not.

What sort of issues have you been having?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm in a really rural area of interconnected small towns, and I've basically been "the guy" for some time, as no computer shop is profitable enough to stay open. There are a few crooks around too offering services, including one old guy who will steal memory and poo poo out of peoples computers, talk you into trading your decent machine to him for some old piece of poo poo thats "working". He will load CCleaner and a pirated Office 2007 on every computer he does. Sent a lawyer after me for denouncing him on facebook. If CCleaner isn't a dead giveaway of "shouldn't be allowed to touch computers", the guy has a yahoo email address as well.

There actually is one store that stays open as its a telecom company dealer as well but I had someone bring their laptop to me and I suggested a SSD upgrade, they said they had one but the guy at that store said "their laptop couldn't make use of it" and traded them for a HDD. I loving hate humanity.

Then theres another guy who I dont know is malicious or just dumb, in his ads he will write out his whole process which to this day includes doing a defrag.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Toast Museum posted:

Everything is a virus.

Posted in Haus of Tech Support, but I was having constant issues with needing to flush DNS. Found my model of Netgear router had a vulnerability at one point so I reset everything. Mostly good now, no more constant attempts to access the network remotely, but still seeing this from my home PC IP.

[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [192.168.1.119], Tuesday, Oct 12,2021 12:34:59

Netgear forums have a lot of people complaining about the same thing with the recommendation being "Don't worry about it", but I'd still rather be sure.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Toast Museum posted:

Everything is a virus.

Every unauthorized access is a hack

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Posted in Haus of Tech Support, but I was having constant issues with needing to flush DNS. Found my model of Netgear router had a vulnerability at one point so I reset everything. Mostly good now, no more constant attempts to access the network remotely, but still seeing this from my home PC IP.

[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [192.168.1.119], Tuesday, Oct 12,2021 12:34:59

Netgear forums have a lot of people complaining about the same thing with the recommendation being "Don't worry about it", but I'd still rather be sure.

I'm not in tech at all but isn't a 192.168.x.xxx something on your own network?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'm not in tech at all but isn't a 192.168.x.xxx something on your own network?

Yeah, that's why I'm looking for something to get a better idea of what that traffic is. Searching brings a lot of "that's a Netgear false positive, don't worry about it" but like I said, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Medullah posted:

When I worked at Geek Squad we had a scanner that picked up the "evil registry entries" and we were supposed to use that as a means to sell a virus removal. I was as moral as I possibly could be there, only offering virus removal if there was something else there. I can't even imagine how hard it is to sell services now, though I guess there's still always people who click everything and anything.

There absolutely are still people who will download and install anything and everything. I worked student tech support in college during the ME era and the worst, most hosed machine I ever saw was my father in law’s Win 7 laptop in 2008 or so. I had just started dating my wife and was over for a holiday and when I came out that I “knew computers” (I don’t, I can just use one) I got roped into fixing it while everyone else played with a new Wii. It was just wall to wall malware and scam ware. Cleaners and optimizers and organizers and everything else. I half expected to find an old bonzai buddy install lurking in a corner.

He’s still that way today. These days we’ve got him on a Mac with a user account that is locked down hard enough that he can’t install anything or change many settings. Like twice a year I still field a call where I have to explain to my mother in law that no, he doesn’t need to install this program, the website was lying when it said it detected a billion viruses on his Mac and needs to install a system repair tool.

He’s not a dumb guy, either. Brilliant in his professional life. Smart, curious, but also completely loving willing to just click and download and believe any old scam program.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 15, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Medullah posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm looking for something to get a better idea of what that traffic is. Searching brings a lot of "that's a Netgear false positive, don't worry about it" but like I said, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'd be inclined to think this is a false positive from some ancient generic cheap to implement intrusion detection on the router that is tripping up on something completely different. I don't think smurf has been a thing since the 90s, it's like seeing Kazaa on a firewall rule set.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Do you run a torrent client on that device?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MikusR posted:

Do you run a torrent client on that device?

I did, but after I was having problems and I read it could cause some false positives so I didn't reinstall it when I wiped my machine.

It's a null point now, I ended up getting so frustrated with the internet issues I bought a new router to test it and everything is streets ahead now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
found some absolutely massive video files I took ages ago that aren't very high quality(640p x 480p) but nonetheless are gigantic AVI files(30 minute video = 3.8 gigs), what's the best program for quickly compressing or converting them to greatly reduce file size without losing quality? it should be doable to shrink them size-wise without losing a lot of quality in the video with such a small dimension size, right?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Invictus posted:

found some absolutely massive video files I took ages ago that aren't very high quality(640p x 480p) but nonetheless are gigantic AVI files(30 minute video = 3.8 gigs), what's the best program for quickly compressing or converting them to greatly reduce file size without losing quality? it should be doable to shrink them size-wise without losing a lot of quality in the video with such a small dimension size, right?

Handbrake

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

After spending a week away from home I'm locked out of my desktop; my muscle memory isn't working and I'm not sure what the password is exactly. I tried booting into the long-disused linux partition to see if I could tell if the password was changed at some point or if I could circumvent it, and all I got was a nice reminder why I don't mess around with Linux anymore. At the point I'm about to just reinstall, most of the files I care about aren't on the system drive and I could move whatever off using said linux partition. Part of me is concerned its been compromised but its a million times more likely I'm just loving up the entry. This is more a rant than anything, I'm just frustrated.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

After spending a week away from home I'm locked out of my desktop; my muscle memory isn't working and I'm not sure what the password is exactly. I tried booting into the long-disused linux partition to see if I could tell if the password was changed at some point or if I could circumvent it, and all I got was a nice reminder why I don't mess around with Linux anymore. At the point I'm about to just reinstall, most of the files I care about aren't on the system drive and I could move whatever off using said linux partition. Part of me is concerned its been compromised but its a million times more likely I'm just loving up the entry. This is more a rant than anything, I'm just frustrated.

if it's at all possible to just take a break and relax about the password, that will probably help a lot. i had a similar occasion once and my frustration and stress lead me to gently caress up my password all night long. slept on it and nailed it the next morning.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Whelp, couldn't get it to work in the morning either. Extracted the hashed PW and ran hashcat on what I'm 99% sure are the possible characters for each letter to with no luck. Either I changed it last week and forgot, there was always a typo, or it got compromised, regardless its borked. Fortunately this is only a gaming machine, though I'ma have to take out the NVMe drive to make sure windows doesn't do its multiple drive install weirdness.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Is this a Windows password, a Microsoft Account password, or a Bitlocker password?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got this, told me to download .NET, did so, it doesn't recognize I've downloaded .NET and still gives me this when I try to start it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

astral posted:

Is this a Windows password, a Microsoft Account password, or a Bitlocker password?

Windows (local account)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Windows (local account)

Pretty sure there's some dead simple way of getting back into a normal account if you forget the password. It's not intended to be high security.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

Pretty sure there's some dead simple way of getting back into a normal account if you forget the password. It's not intended to be high security.

There are security questions like the good old days, but the right answers aren't it and hell if I remember what I put. I don't remember ever setting them up.

Nothing of value will be lost in a re-install, 99% of my files are already on other drives, it would just be nice to know why it isn't working. I'd been thinking of changing it to something simpler for ages, mostly likely I did that and forgot as I've been giving hospice care to my dog all week.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

There are security questions like the good old days, but the right answers aren't it and hell if I remember what I put. I don't remember ever setting them up.

Nothing of value will be lost in a re-install, 99% of my files are already on other drives, it would just be nice to know why it isn't working. I'd been thinking of changing it to something simpler for ages, mostly likely I did that and forgot as I've been giving hospice care to my dog all week.

Something like https://adamtheautomator.com/reset-windows-10-password-command-prompt/#Resetting_a_Locked_Out_Windows_10_Password_Safe_Mode (one of the top search results)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ah, all my efforts (searches) had gone towards retrieving the password, which took me down said cracking rabbit hole. Being able to see if/when it was changed should be good enough to sleep easy. Thanks!

E: looks like passwords might be retrievable this way too. Whelp.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Top result but also totally bogus. Restarting into safe mode w/ command prompt doesn't bypass the password login, and you can't log into the generic Administrator account unless you've enabled it previously.

The utilman.exe trick further down the page still works, but with modification: you need to swap it to cmd.exe and then boot directly to safe mode, because Defender picks it up otherwise. But that's just according to internets, haven't tried it myself.

The overall story is:
1. A password you can't remember is a very silly idea. Muscle memory is, as just found out, way more fickle than real memory.
2. There's no shame in having a fairly simple, not-very-secure password for a machine that you're not locking down to be secure (whole disk bitlocker etc) and have RDP disabled.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That's what I get for skimming it up to where they reached the advanced recovery menu. I could've sworn the "Command Prompt" option from that menu ran as Administrator; did I misremember?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Invictus posted:

got this, told me to download .NET, did so, it doesn't recognize I've downloaded .NET and still gives me this when I try to start it.

I had 1.2.2 so I thought well let's see if I can replicate this so I went to help->check for updates. Updated to 1.4.2 and got this same error.

Maybe time to go to oldversion.com, which appears to be dead now.

I'm gonna do what I was gonna tell you to do and restart windows after installing .NET 5.0

e: nope

e2: but this works

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 18, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The utilman replace worked! And my password hadn't been changed since May of 2018, meaning I never knew what it was, only my fingers did. Thanks yall.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I had 1.2.2 so I thought well let's see if I can replicate this so I went to help->check for updates. Updated to 1.4.2 and got this same error.

Maybe time to go to oldversion.com, which appears to be dead now.

I'm gonna do what I was gonna tell you to do and restart windows after installing .NET 5.0

e: nope

e2: but this works
hell yeah, thanks! I was desperately trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and nothing was working. I guess the newest version is just bugged and they haven't fixed that yet? Anyways, that install works perfectly, thanks a ton!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wow, 12 gigantic .AVIs making up nearly 6 gigs, converted without almost any quality loss down to 1.10gb worth of MP4/M4V's in about 10 minutes. seriously, thanks a ton, I'm going to go rifle through my digital camera folders and see how much I can reduce that stuff down too, though it might be different due to being from a newer camera.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

wow, 12 gigantic .AVIs making up nearly 6 gigs, converted without almost any quality loss down to 1.10gb worth of MP4/M4V's in about 10 minutes. seriously, thanks a ton, I'm going to go rifle through my digital camera folders and see how much I can reduce that stuff down too, though it might be different due to being from a newer camera.

If it's stuff that's important to you I'd be careful because handbrake can do stuff like desync audio.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
don't worry, I'm paranoid about that sort of thing, so I make sure to check the resulting video before deleting the old one. thanks for the heads up though, I'll keep it in mind!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Invictus posted:

hell yeah, thanks! I was desperately trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and nothing was working. I guess the newest version is just bugged and they haven't fixed that yet? Anyways, that install works perfectly, thanks a ton!

Glad I could be of some help.

VelociBacon posted:

If it's stuff that's important to you I'd be careful because handbrake can do stuff like desync audio.

And I learned something new.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FWIW I used Handbrake to rip DVDs pretty frequently last couple years and never have desync issues. But as recently as maybe 5 years ago, it was IME a pretty unreliable piece of software.

Doing DVDs may not be the same as compressing your home videos, but with anything you care about, you'd want to preview the video and at least spot check each one at several places.

edit: *actually reads thread* so of course this version has bugs, lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Have any of you that use display fusion a lot been having a rough go of it the last year? I use it on multiple machines and I swear its less compatible with windows or nvidia (probably windows) than it used to be.

I'd be interested in any thoughts. on my gaming computer it seems to prevent a fair amount (but not all) games from opening correctly, this is solved by just terminating display fusion. it also has a lot more trouble succesfully switching monitor profiles, but this is the main issue it has on all my computers not just the gaming one. it will basically just fail and error on the profile/(in this case, changing which monitors are in use, i have a bank of 5 that alternate between different PCs)

I've done reformats/fresh window installs/nuked display drivers/etc (mainly just naturally, but any time i did that stuff i would do a brand new display fusion profile to go with it and same results so :shrug:)

I don't really mind the gaming problem compared to the profile switching one, tho i suspect thats probably the easier fix. i'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting the causes of the monitor profile changes. it feels like user error at this point, but idk why i've had it working just fine for years until semi recently and now its just poo poo everywhere :shrug:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

I reinstalled Handbrake 1.4.2 just recently and ran into this. You need to install .NET v5.0.0 rather than any of the newer versions for it to work.

I went here - https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/5.0 - scrolled down to "5.0.0" and expanded that section so I could download the 5.0.0 x64 Desktop Runtime (windowsdesktop-runtime-5.0.0-win-x64.exe)
The latest Handbrake then ran no problem.

Worf posted:

Have any of you that use display fusion a lot been having a rough go of it the last year? I use it on multiple machines and I swear its less compatible with windows or nvidia (probably windows) than it used to be.

I've run it for many years now under Nvidia but with only 2 monitors, and my use case seems way more primitive than yours. But it's not given me any problems at all. The dev is pretty reactive though - maybe reach out to them and see if they can help you troubleshoot it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

For great big nested folders and stuff, I find Handbrake Batch Beast to be really useful. https://github.com/HaveAGitGat/HBBatchBeast

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Hi all,
This isn't specific to Windows 11 but it has plagued me on Windows 10 for years, and the saga continues.

When my machine first starts up, windows has the System Properties> Advanced> Performance> Settings> Animate windows when minimising and maximising checked, and honours this setting. Within the time it takes to startup all the background stuff, at some point that setting gets changed to off, and those animations are no longer active.

The last time I had that setting deliberately switched off was in Windows 7 because there were a few missing animation frames with it activated, and it looked awful.

I'm not sure why this is happening - it occurs whether or not I have settings syncing to my Microsoft account. Initially I set this Windows 11 install up with a purely local account, but at some point in setting everything else up, this setting has been cleared again.

Is there some way I can view what's switching this off? Event Viewer? Pay a psychic?

Crossposting. Help me goons, you're my only hope.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Trying to set up a scheduled task to close MS Office programs and then robocopy /MIR a directory. Currently it has two actions:

code:
taskkill.exe /s localhost /F /IM winword.exe /T
And my robocopy line.

The problem is that this will just aggressively close Word without giving it any time to sync its changes to OneDrive. Is there a like, taskkill.exe tag to kill once saving is complete? I'm not worried about another user making changes and like, "locking" the document or anything.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

tuyop posted:

Trying to set up a scheduled task to close MS Office programs and then robocopy /MIR a directory. Currently it has two actions:

code:
taskkill.exe /s localhost /F /IM winword.exe /T
And my robocopy line.

The problem is that this will just aggressively close Word without giving it any time to sync its changes to OneDrive. Is there a like, taskkill.exe tag to kill once saving is complete? I'm not worried about another user making changes and like, "locking" the document or anything.

Try https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html with:
nircmd closeprocess winword.exe
ping -n 10 127.0.0.1>nul
robocopy /MIR blah blah

The ping command is just a cheap way to do a 10 second wait in a batch script, to give time for your onedrive sync to happen.

quote:

closeprocess [process]
Terminates the specified process, by closing its top level windows. As opposed to killprocess command, closeprocess doesn't force the process to be closed immediately. Instead, it send WM_CLOSE message to all top level windows of the specified process. However, be aware that this command will not work on process with no user interface.

I think that'll work on word, it fully exits once you close all the windows right?

edit: actually just using taskkill without the /F sends a termination signal that should allow graceful closure

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 20, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So my PC has started randomly (a couple times a week) freezing for a split second, then spontaneously rebooting - ie I get dumped back to the bios splash screen. So far there is no pattern I can tell as to why this is happening. Usually it happens when I’m away but a few times It’s happened during use when I was on the desktop or browsing the web. It’s never happened under load during gaming or anything like that.

Is there any chance this is software related or am I looking at the beginning of the end for the pc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It could be some kind of driver crash causing the issue. Perhaps the event viewer could shed more details on if anything is crashing preceding the restart? I also got similar symptoms once when one of my GPU power cables wasn't fully plugged in. It was coming loose, and at random points my computer would freeze and then reboot. It started at a couple times a week and got progressively worse. It may not be your gpu power cables specifically, but it may help to reseat your components and pull out and plug back in all of your power cables. I can already tell that the sporadic nature of the crashes is going to make troubleshooting this a pain, though.