Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
If your wanna get weird with it, Old and Cold, by Jim Nisbet. First person POV of a schizophrenic who kills people for just enough money to buy just enough martinis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

HIJK posted:

Any recommendations on crime oriented novels from the perspective of the criminal? I'm thinking of something that treats the matter with some gravity and the criminal reflects on what they're doing and why they're doing it. Inspired by real life stuff welcome too.

Richard Stark (Donald Westlake)'s Parker novels

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Another Donald Westlake recommendation that answers your question: The Ax.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

HIJK posted:

Any recommendations on crime oriented novels from the perspective of the criminal? I'm thinking of something that treats the matter with some gravity and the criminal reflects on what they're doing and why they're doing it. Inspired by real life stuff welcome too.

crime and punishment, temple of the golden pavilion

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I suppose The Stranger also fits but (like Crime and Punishment) it's more concerned with morality and philosophy than a more straightforward crime story like the Parker books.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Then there's that one Agatha Christie novel, the name of which I never remember.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Then there's that one Agatha Christie novel, the name of which I never remember.

One of my favorite reads ever and simultaneously incredibly difficult to recommend to people.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

A human heart posted:

General Vo Nguyen Giap wrote a war memoir book that is supposed to be pretty good, I don't think it's in print but there's a copy on archive.org/openlibrary: https://archive.org/details/unforgettableday0000unse_n1f0/mode/2up

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's fiction, but one of the best looks at the war from the Vietnamese side is Novel Without a Name.

Thanks, you two! I'll take a look - they both sound very interesting, from my brief check online

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Aardvark! posted:

One of my favorite reads ever and simultaneously incredibly difficult to recommend to people.

I can take it!

Love these suggestions, thank you guys!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

HIJK posted:

I can take it!

I've been staring at this comment, and its parent, for awhile trying to think of how to continue that discussion but I can't.

My suggestion is to drop the Agatha Christie book from your list and maybe one day just start reading her most famous books.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

I've been staring at this comment, and its parent, for awhile trying to think of how to continue that discussion but I can't.

My suggestion is to drop the Agatha Christie book from your list and maybe one day just start reading her most famous books.

drat, all of you talking about this as-yet-unnamed book is killing me! What's the title, if you don't mind me asking? Now I'm curious about it :D (which is probably not what you were intending, hahah)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm pretty sure they mean Endless Night.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

E: ^^^ I haven't read that and it's not the one I have in mind.

OP -- An analogy: if someone asked you to recommend a movie with the plot device of an unreliable narrator, Memento would be a good recommendation, because you know within the first few minutes that it has an unreliable narrator. Shutter Island would be a bad recommendation because learning that the main character is an unreliable narrator is the twist and knowing that ahead of time undermines it, even if the recommendation would technically qualify.

The book in question technically fits your request but knowing that undermines it. It's a bad recommendation.

If you still want to know, and intentionally undermine the book, PM me. But I'd suggest putting it out of you mind except for a vague notion to read the best of Agatha Christie at some point.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 18, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I guess I didn't remember the book too well :doh:

e: Joke recommendation, OR IS IT!!!?!??!: El Inocente by Mario Lacruz.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I was assuming they meant, um, _And Then There Were None_, given the repeated retitling

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

HIJK posted:

The psychology of murderers was a big theme for Patricia Highsmith. Try Strangers on a Train or The Talented Mr Ripley.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I forgot Graham Greene. He was big into GUILT in all caps.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was assuming they meant, um, _And Then There Were None_, given the repeated retitling

That was my guess too.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Interesting how there are several potential options. I was thinking of The Murder of Roger Akroyd

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I haven't noticed it before, but I was just looking at a BCA book from 2003 (P.D. James's The Murder Room), and it doesn't have an ISBN. Was this something book clubs in general did, or just a BCA thing? Why would you even do that - it's not like ISBNs cost anything - or do they in England/wherever BCA was based?

e: Ah, apparently it does cost money to get an ISBN in the UK and the US. Figures.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 19, 2021

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

regulargonzalez posted:

E: ^^^ I haven't read that and it's not the one I have in mind.

OP -- An analogy: if someone asked you to recommend a movie with the plot device of an unreliable narrator, Memento would be a good recommendation, because you know within the first few minutes that it has an unreliable narrator. Shutter Island would be a bad recommendation because learning that the main character is an unreliable narrator is the twist and knowing that ahead of time undermines it, even if the recommendation would technically qualify.

The book in question technically fits your request but knowing that undermines it. It's a bad recommendation.

If you still want to know, and intentionally undermine the book, PM me. But I'd suggest putting it out of you mind except for a vague notion to read the best of Agatha Christie at some point.

I've read some Agatha, I am aware of the controversy around And Then There Were None if it helps :v: Watching a recording of the play is actually what spurred my request :)

I've picked up some of the recommendations here and I really appreciate them! I've got a new puzzle now but it's more for my nephew than for me. I'm trying to find a children's book I read when I was a kid (so its pretty old now.)

The book had painted illustrations and it was about a boy whose father planted a pair of trees for him. The book subsquently has the boy dreaming about time travel and such following the trees while they grow. It ends with the boy dreaming about talking to his grandson or something and the pair of trees have grown huge. The grandson makes a comment about "my grandfather planted these trees before I was even born" and the book ends with the protagonist appreciating the passage of time. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is there a dune thread

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

is there a dune thread

Yes.No.

gently caress it was in GBS which is why I couldn't find it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843104

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 25, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1445728144544002048?s=20

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://twitter.com/VertebratePub/status/1451891305391575045

https://twitter.com/DowntownComics/status/1451641705032192000

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/eeberquist/status/1451010324325404678?s=20

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Is ‘This Is How You Lose The Time War’ any good? 99p on kindle daily deals

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Very good. Very weird.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
How come The Book Bran wasn't renamed to The Book Brain in keeping with the halloween theme for the rest of the forums?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Flaggy posted:

How come The Book Bran wasn't renamed to The Book Brain in keeping with the halloween theme for the rest of the forums?

Good digestive health is scary enough for the average goon?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Flaggy posted:

im not cool also im a bad mod

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Flaggy posted:

the good forums don’t have spooky names, op

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Good digestive health is scary enough for the average goon?

Fair enough.

im not cool also im a bad mod

Wicked not true.

buffalo all day posted:

the good forums don’t have spooky names, op

I will let my congressman know.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Flaggy posted:

I'd prefer it if the Book Barn was renamed to that instead of the ongoing typo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd prefer it if the Book Barn was renamed to that instead of the ongoing typo

I've been trying to think of something funny enough to justify a long term change for the past few years and haven't come up with anything I *really* like yet

it has to be long term because it takes an admin to change the forum titles and they tend to have poo poo to do

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been trying to think of something funny enough to justify a long term change for the past few years and haven't come up with anything I *really* like yet

it has to be long term because it takes an admin to change the forum titles and they tend to have poo poo to do

Sometimes something tried and true works and I'd prefer to have Book Barn instead of Bran, so.

Book Brain
Book Banjo
Book Boat
Book Bonkers
Book Breaders

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

The Buddenbrooks Barn

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Twelve Bored Bigots

Bilirubin