Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Saw Streets of Rogue was on gamepass, been giving it a try. I am having difficulty learning not to pick so many drat fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Saw Streets of Rogue was on gamepass, been giving it a try. I am having difficulty learning not to pick so many drat fights

*cough* (if you want a small class guide)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

streets of rogue manages to be the best zombie apocalypse simulator out there without that even being the main focus of the game. i love playing as the zombie.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

juggalo baby coffin posted:

streets of rogue manages to be the best zombie apocalypse simulator out there without that even being the main focus of the game. i love playing as the zombie.
I released a zombie in some nerd's lab. Then that floor died. A+, would do again

Turin Turambar posted:

*cough* (if you want a small class guide)
Thanks, will look over it

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Tendales posted:

Golden Krone Hotel just a new update. There's a few new possible side branches, some balance tweaks, and a bunch more possible opening floors. I thought the game was basically done, so it's nice to see it getting a bit of love.

This is another one that just wholly eludes me. I love the ambiance of the game. Just can't get anything in it. Lol.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Duderclese posted:

This is another one that just wholly eludes me. I love the ambiance of the game. Just can't get anything in it. Lol.

It's weird, but I beat that one on my very first try--I must have gotten crazy lucky. But then I've never been motivated to go back and play it again because of that.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's weird, but I beat that one on my very first try--I must have gotten crazy lucky. But then I've never been motivated to go back and play it again because of that.

A man who knows when to go out on top. Sometimes I wish I knew to do this instead of chasing that the dream of topping my best win in a game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

golden krone hotel trims away a lot of the extraneous stuff to focus wholly on the strategy of managing your space and your various tools, with the gimmick of the shifting sunbeams streaming in through the windows as time passes being a really fun thing to work with/around depending on whether or not you're a vampire

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I just like it because Golden Krone Hotel is the least threatening, least evocative name I can think of for a roguelike or a vampire game

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

man i suck at skul the hero slayer

i cant beat the drat ent because his second phase just has so much health

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

man i suck at skul the hero slayer

i cant beat the drat ent because his second phase just has so much health

The first... dozen times I fought the Ent I either got my rear end kicked or barely won.

The next ten I won, but still barely.

Then I learned his pattern and rarely lost. He very much punishes you for trying to maximize DPS. If you take your time and just pluck away at him a couple times between his attacks you'll whittle him down.

Then the next boss is two people at once and the same thing started again and I stopped playing for awhile.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Mithross posted:

The first... dozen times I fought the Ent I either got my rear end kicked or barely won.

The next ten I won, but still barely.

Then I learned his pattern and rarely lost. He very much punishes you for trying to maximize DPS. If you take your time and just pluck away at him a couple times between his attacks you'll whittle him down.

Then the next boss is two people at once and the same thing started again and I stopped playing for awhile.

i finally beat the end and managed to get all the way to the next boss and yeah.. idk how to even start handling that. i even got enough skull shards to upgrade the ghost rider skull and even that couldnt help me

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

my first win was getting elected as mayor because i'd zombified so many people

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

i finally beat the end and managed to get all the way to the next boss and yeah.. idk how to even start handling that. i even got enough skull shards to upgrade the ghost rider skull and even that couldnt help me

Skul bosses are all about safe play- it's only gonna get worse after the sisters (and I mean almost immediately, since the adventurer fight mid-stage 3 is still very, very rough, even after being nerfed multiple times.) Your first couple attempts are gonna be about simply learning the pattern

That said, a big help is learning synergies, especially ones that increase damage or have inscriptions that boost your offensive oomph. Since avoidance is kinda king in Skul, that means the faster you end fights the less chances you have to screw up dodging. Defense and sustain are good and useful tools, but it's no replacement for just not being there. Likewise, Skulls that let you deal damage while staying pretty mobile tend to be among the strongest Skulls in the game- despite being a common Skull, the Skeleton Pike fully-upgraded is arguably the strongest and easiest way to get your first win in the game, especially if you can find enough jumping/dashing synergies.

Early in the run, I would prioritize room rewards in order of Skulls -> Money -> Equipment. Skull rooms mean 1) Chances at strong skulls, which is the biggest run changer, and 2) Bone chips from bad skulls, letting you make good skulls you do have better. Money is useful because safe zone shopping is real strong in this game, especially once you've unlock all the functions of the rest stop, s it's likely more valuable to have a little extra cash on hand to buy something you actually need then a piece of random equipment unless you're already rolling in bank. Later on, you can move up equipment if you're finding yourself particularly item-starved as you enter the later chapters (or need to hunt down one last item or insignia to complete a build) and move down Skulls depending on if the ones you're using are fine with just being Rare upgrades or really, really want to reach their legendary form.

Also, don't feel bad about failing a lot early. Skul is unfortunately kind of ruled by it's metaprogression- the Skul at the start of the game is embarrassingly weak and would struggle to beat the game even in an experienced player's hands, while the Skul at the end of the skill tree... honestly feels like the character they intend you to finally beat the game with.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Also, there's a Giant Assed/Boned Skul update coming out any day now unto likely next week that will overhaul most key aspects of the game with extra finery and polish, Yet Again, so woes up to now may well soon come to be rendered moot with only jubilant spectacle and escalation awaiting~

Some of the best post-release support outright as far as games in this spirit could hope to manifest.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Anybody here play Astronarch? It's kind of an autobattler take on a Roguelike and kinda fun.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I like that game, yeah. Though I’m just at ascension level 4 or 5.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I got to like Ascension 3 and figured I'd seen basically everything the game had to offer, didn't find it very interesting.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Steam roguelike sale is going on

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/roguelikecelebration2021

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

The actual Roguelike Celebration conference is going on too, you can see it on Twitch https://twitch.tv/roguelike_con

oh the forums have twitch embeds

anyways, the actual conference is happening on a custom website https://roguelike.club/ - tickets are free.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lord help me im diving into Qud

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Huge thanks for posting this, my steam store wasn't pushing it at all and it prompted me to finally grab Dungeonmans in addition to Duskers, which I hadn't seen much of but looks sick as hell.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is ADOM worth picking up?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

ADOM is good if you like 1v1ing the dev via the medium of a broken game but Ultimate ADOM is actually just kind of underbaked.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ill pass then, Qud will keep me busy for a while im sure

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

anyways, the actual conference is happening on a custom website https://roguelike.club/ - tickets are free.

The conference space is a MUD with the Twitch stream embedded in the "theater"

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

i like it but you can just try the free version to find out if you can't stand Ancient Gaming dressed up with tiles so hey

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I do not recommend ADOM but it was in a recent humble bundle so there are probably cheap keys floating around, if you really want it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

If you hate yourself.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Picked up Vault of the Void after seeing some chatter in here a while ago. Seems pretty fun. Beat Normal mode my first run, which wasn't particularly difficult (by design obviously) but the Void fight was still pretty down to the wire. Would have lost if I didn't draw the exact bleed cards I needed on the last turn. Pretty unique game, I think people who just say it's a straight up StS clone are doing it a disservice even if it's obviously inspired by it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Sab Sabbington posted:

Huge thanks for posting this, my steam store wasn't pushing it at all and it prompted me to finally grab Dungeonmans in addition to Duskers, which I hadn't seen much of but looks sick as hell.

Is Duskers worth picking up? In terms of "horror" roguelikes I'm a fan of Infra Arcana, and I like Duskers Aliens-like vibe.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The Demoncrawl Halloween event has begun. New goals this year, all of last year's cosmetics are in prize box rotation* now, and there's a new stage/unlock, The Basement, with its own boss who spawns if you find a hidden key and open a Trapdoor in stages.

I've also accidentally become immortal due to a weird quirk with Ectoplasm and the endless mode, so that's odd to watch. Expect a hotfix or two as always. edit: and there's that one fixed

* before someone thinks it's some monetization poo poo: clearing the infinite quests or post-game modes just gives you a roll of loot, including avatars, paint, and a chance at the toggle for alternate versions of items. Which are a selectable on/off, so it's not just clogging the drop pool.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 16, 2021

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

if you haven't gotten 868-HACK for whatever reason by now, then now's the time to do it, that game is superb

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i bought demoncrawl but it turns out im insanely stupid and bad at minesweeper

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

EightFlyingCars posted:

if you haven't gotten 868-HACK for whatever reason by now, then now's the time to do it, that game is superb

Really? The look of it always threw me off. I'll have to look up some youtube videos.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is Duskers worth picking up? In terms of "horror" roguelikes I'm a fan of Infra Arcana, and I like Duskers Aliens-like vibe.

I haven't gotten far into it but I've enjoyed it. Keep in mind that I like games that have a terminal-style input control setup. (I blame playing too much Zork as a kid)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

TitusGroen posted:

I haven't gotten far into it but I've enjoyed it. Keep in mind that I like games that have a terminal-style input control setup. (I blame playing too much Zork as a kid)

Thanks man.

Picked up Golden Krone Hotel. The gameplay between Vampire and Human is interesting. What I did not expect was a great soundtrack. I'm really impressed so far.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

WarpedLichen posted:

Anybody here play Astronarch? It's kind of an autobattler take on a Roguelike and kinda fun.

I put a lot of time into it and beat ascension 20 before the patches that changed it, added omens, nerfed speed buffs a lot, and added the screwy final boss

I had a lot of fun with it, still don’t know how to use some of the classes optimally!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

If you actually want to play it, yes.
Lol I just remembered I never ascended that healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Children of Morta is on sale on Switch. What's the goon opinion?