Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

"Clown Prince of Crime" is a play on crown prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait til you find out how Harley Quinn got her name

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

When Cypress Hill were exhorting people to "throw their set in the air" they were not talking about TVs.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

tight aspirations posted:

When Cypress Hill were exhorting people to "throw their set in the air" they were not talking about TVs.

Did you figure that out when you listened to literally any of the other lyrics in that song?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

No.

E: I'm pretty sure you could wave a TV set around "like you just don't care" if you wanted to. Particularly a small one.

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Oct 9, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I don't even wave a tv around

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Even a small TV in 1995 was pretty heavy on account of having all those tubes and whatnot inside.

So unless it was a almost novelty sized tiny travel TV waving it in the air would require a lot of strength.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So what did it mean?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

set = crew

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Even a small TV in 1995 was pretty heavy on account of having all those tubes and whatnot inside.

So unless it was a almost novelty sized tiny travel TV waving it in the air would require a lot of strength.

So waving it around - if you could - would be an effective display of strength to your peers right? It would be even more impressive if you could do it in a nonchalant manner too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So what did it mean?

Street gangs like the Bloods and/or the Crips are more like umbrella organisations composed of several loosely aligned local groups*. These smaller units within a each gang are called sets. Each set has their own hand signal and the members of Cypress Hill, themselves associated with the Neighborhood Family Bloods, are asking the audience to raise their hands and display these often convoluted handsignals.

*The Sicilian Cosa Nostra and the Calibrian Ndrangheta actually have a very similar structure though somewhat more formalized and in the case of the Ndrangheta largely based on blood relations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Street gangs like the Bloods and/or the Crips are more like umbrella organisations composed of several loosely aligned local groups*. These smaller units within a each gang are called sets. Each set has their own hand signal and the members of Cypress Hill, themselves associated with the Neighborhood Family Bloods, are asking the audience to raise their hands and display these often convoluted handsignals.

*The Sicilian Cosa Nostra and the Calibrian Ndrangheta actually have a very similar structure though somewhat more formalized and in the case of the Ndrangheta largely based on blood relations.

Neat.

I guess this IS the thread to learn new tbjng!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Pocket Billiards posted:

You can't really trust what Australians to get the names of foods right, i.e. what the Boomers with Women's Weekly cookbooks interpretation of 'Chow Mein' is.

My grandma's version of Chow Mein was great. It came from somewhere in the '40s. It was a small amount of terrible beef cooked for a million years in a broth that was almost all soy sauce and cornstarch with sugar. Add way more canned bean sprouts than any normal person should even see on the shelf of a grocery store. Served over rice with extra soy sauce and chow mein noodles.

Feel free to add more soy sauce throughout the eating process. If you don't go into hypernatremia after eating it, you made it wrong. You just balance it out by eating more salt right from the container. When you're ODing on salt, you have to commit.

Seriously, that stuff was great. My grandma's been dead for years and I just can't make her Chow Mein right. I'm missing something.

It was not Chow Mein by any means though. Very church cook book.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is loving humiliating. I can't believe this.

Eliot Page announced his transition months ago and yet still I am just realizing Linda Cardellini was a different actor, and Page was never in Dead Like Me or Freaks and Geeks.

Im stupid and blind and shouldn't be allowed to watch media

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

This is loving humiliating. I can't believe this.

Eliot Page announced his transition months ago and yet still I am just realizing Linda Cardellini was a different actor, and Page was never in Dead Like Me or Freaks and Geeks.

Im stupid and blind and shouldn't be allowed to watch media

She’s 12 years older too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They do have kinda similar looks though. Less so now, but I see it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Failed Imagineer posted:

They do have kinda similar looks though. Less so now, but I see it

That was the part that got me, flipping between two GIS tabs like "I get it, I get it, but goddamn it I'm stupid"

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Zoe Kazan and Zosia Mamet are constantly throwing me thanks to their combination of thick eyebrows, Hollywood nepotism, and the letter 'Z.'

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I thought that the British word whinge was pronounced like whine and were different spellings of the same word. Not so! Whinging and whining cover different things apparently.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Oct 15, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I thought that the British word whinge was pronounced like whine and were different spellings of the same word. Not so! Whinging and whining cover different things apparently.

Wait, what? I know they're pronounced differently but I thought they meant effectively the same thing.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
From a blog post I found:

Grammarphobia posted:

They come from two Old English words: “whine” from hwinan (to make a whizzing or humming sound, like an arrow in flight), and “whinge” from hwinsian (to make a sound like a dog whimpering). We probably get “whinny,” or horse talk, from the same root.

Both words are very old; “whine” dates from 1275 and “whinge” from 1150. Originally, “whine” referred merely to the sound. But “whinge” implied a wailing or crying: the sound was one of distress. Eventually, to “whine” also came to mean complain or express discontent.

Though Americans use only one word, “whine,” the British use both: “whining” covers a variety of meanings, including sounds made by people, animals, or inanimate objects, and “whingeing” (also spelled “whinging”) is more specifically for peevish or fretful complaining. The British sometimes use the terms together for emphasis: “Stop your whingeing and whining!”

Perhaps actual Brits would consider the two interchangeable nowadays.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

is

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Kevin DuBrow posted:

From a blog post I found:

Perhaps actual Brits would consider the two interchangeable nowadays.

I'm Australian, but I'd both use them to mean "annoying complaining". But I wouldn't use "whinge" for a high pitched noise like a dog whimpering.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm Australian, but I'd both use them to mean "annoying complaining". But I wouldn't use "whinge" for a high pitched noise like a dog whimpering.

Ditto.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

There's also the Miami Vice version:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Also, I'd possibly describe the sound the motor makes at the end of this video as a "whine", but not a "whinge" though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6T5BojXc8

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser

Rascar Capac posted:

There's also the Miami Vice version:

If memory serves he played three different dudes in Miami Vice.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I first knew him as Yaphet Kotto's son on Homicide: Life on the Street. He was already approaching his Gus Fring look by then.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hold up. He's Yaphet kotos son?
Oh I misunderstood.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
I've just got flint knapping down, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the wheel. Keeping my chin up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm wondering which is a more powerful name, Giancarlo Koto or Yaphet Esposito.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Also the dude in Usual Suspects who interviews the burned Hungarian in the hospital

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
drat he really doesn't look it in that one

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Giancarlo Esposito was born in Copenhagen making him technically Danish.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Trading Places

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just realised that "leopard" probably means "lion-[something]". Googling says that 'pard' was a word for a male panther and the ancient Greeks thought that leopards were lion/panther hybrids
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/pard-big-cat-mythology-leopard-lion-taxonomy

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Panther cowboys???

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser

packetmantis posted:

Panther cowboys???

Cowboys From Hell in fact.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I thought 'Panthers' didn't exist as a species? Isn't it just a term for 'big-cat'? As in anything in the 'Panthera' family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Regarde Aduck posted:

I thought 'Panthers' didn't exist as a species? Isn't it just a term for 'big-cat'? As in anything in the 'Panthera' family?

In ancient/medieval times their knowledge of the various big cats mostly came secondhand descriptions in old bestiaries which were mostly fiction to start with

quote:

Illustration
Usually depicted as a type of cat, the panther was at times depicted in other forms. It was depicted as a donkey, as a composite creature with a horned head, long neck and a horse's body, and as a host of other forms.[1] (The word "panther", in Greek, could be interpreted as "every wild beast", supporting the idea of a composite creature.) This was mostly because those involved did not know what a panther should look like;[1] but, in some instances, this was due to cultural influences. In Germany in particular, the panther is often depicted in heraldry as a creature with four horns, cow's ears and a fiery red tongue. An example of the former is the flag and coat of arms of the city of Cres, Croatia.[3]

Heraldry
In heraldry the panther is commonly used in a form known as the panther incensed. In this form, the panther is depicted with flames coming from its mouth and ears, representing the panther's sweet odour.[1]
The heraldic panther is usually shown with coloured spots (semée of roundels), which are frequently blue and red. The arms of the Worshipful Company of Dyers, however, have as supporters two panthers "incensed Gules crowned Or and semée of Roundels Gules, Azure, Vert, Purpure and Sable" (with red flames, a gold crown and red, blue, green, purple and black spots). These colours are also seen on the badge of the National Crime Agency, which features a panther as one of its supporters. The panther was used by Henry VI of England as his badge and by other members of the House of Lancaster. A panther which is all silver (argent) is seen in the coat of arms of the Austrian province of Styria (Steiermark) on green (Vert) shield.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_(legendary_creature)