Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It looks like it'll be dead on arrival, but at least it's a new MMO in the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

do mmorpgs go to heaven? is tabula rasa, fallen earth, vanguard saga of heroes, star was galaxies, asherons call, wild star, the matrix online etc just hanging out up there somewhere, waiting for us?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
p sure most of those games went to the medium place

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Though I'm sure some are sleeping somewhere on someones hard drive.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’ve reinstalled and played SWG like 6 times since it died lol

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I have Asheron's Call, Warhammer Online, and City of Heroes installed on my computer right now and have played them, albeit briefly, in the past month.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

City of Heroes owns so much

It's not even nostalgia for me. I played the game for like two weeks when it first launched and never again until the Homecoming server came out, and I had an absolute blast with it. Definitely best when you have an active group playing though.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

City of Heroes is in my top 3, probably top 2 MMOs. Love it so drat much.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Harrow posted:

City of Heroes owns so much

It's not even nostalgia for me. I played the game for like two weeks when it first launched and never again until the Homecoming server came out, and I had an absolute blast with it. Definitely best when you have an active group playing though.

I didn’t play it live but hit up homecoming after it got revealed and I was blown away. Such a cool game that flew totally under my radar.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tabula rasa ruled

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kevin Bacon posted:

do mmorpgs go to heaven? is tabula rasa, fallen earth, vanguard saga of heroes, star was galaxies, asherons call, wild star, the matrix online etc just hanging out up there somewhere, waiting for us?

Wildstar is almost certainly in a different afterlife to the rest of them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wherever Wildstar is, it's forced to play Wildstar.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

jesus christ how terrifying

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If there was a Wildstar private server that made QoL tweaks and got rid of the endgame grindiness it'd probably be fun to mess around on. There were some fun features in that game that unfortunately got buried under an absolute avalanche of bad ideas.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i bought a elyon headstart pack just to see what it's like, even though i know it will be a terrible stereotypical kmmo already just due to the publisher and developer

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Harrow posted:

If there was a Wildstar private server that made QoL tweaks and got rid of the endgame grindiness it'd probably be fun to mess around on. There were some fun features in that game that unfortunately got buried under an absolute avalanche of bad ideas.

There is a server emulator but last I checked it was mostly focused on housing and you know what? Yeah. Focus on the good bit.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Poor EQ2 is so rarely mentioned when we all reminisce about past MMOs. I reinstall it for fun every couple of years, only to find out if somehow runs worse than it ever did.

There's an alternate reality where EQ2 becomes the top MMO instead of WoW in 2004.

duddits
Dec 22, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

Poor EQ2 is so rarely mentioned when we all reminisce about past MMOs. I reinstall it for fun every couple of years, only to find out if somehow runs worse than it ever did.

There's an alternate reality where EQ2 becomes the top MMO instead of WoW in 2004.

Fully agree with this one. EQ2 has my favorite AA setup of any MMO.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I want to enjoy playing EQ2 but holy dang the hotbar bloat is nutty

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kevin Bacon posted:

I'm holding out faith that one day Fallen Earth will return to us in it's full glory, as promised by Little Orbit!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Harrow posted:

I made a perfect Dr. Wily looking character completely on accident.

That was the highlight of my attempt at playing Wildstar.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

blatman posted:

8 hotbars of abilities and potions is a bit extreme I have to say. I want to like it, I really do, but the combat ability spamming is too much.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

blatman posted:

I agree. I have messed around in it off and on. Farthest I ever got was like level 25 and I recall having three or four hotbars full of abilities which was decidedly unappealing.

I'm also not at all a big fan of the spell effects or graphics. From a technical standpoint they're pretty good, but I think they're all aesthetically displeasing.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Wherever Wildstar is, it's forced to play Wildstar.

It levels a character, starts the raid attunement chain and once it gets to the last step the quest bugs out and they are forced to reroll a new character. Repeat for all eternity.

Cupcake.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

I'm also not at all a big fan of the spell effects or graphics. From a technical standpoint they're pretty good, but I think they're all aesthetically displeasing.

Yeah EQ2 is a weirdly ugly game. Obviously that's not the only reason WoW so thoroughly ate EQ2's lunch, but I imagine it would've done better than it did it if just looked and ran better.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

My fae in eq2 was very cute but the humans were pretty bad. I remember my computer almost melting in my first raid because of all the particle effects.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

EQ2 is the ugliest of the major MMOs I think. I had a coworker try to get me into it (she met her husband on EQ lol) and I could not get past the graphics and I am not a guy who cares much about graphics generally.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah there are plenty of great games with not very good graphics, but there are also games that are just actually unpleasant to look at in a way that does take away from the experience and I think EQ2 is at least nearing that line.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I tried it again a few weeks ago and as I've said many times, I just couldn't get past the graphics and the fact that by level 15 my Wizard had two and a half hotbars of abilities. The Dark Elf city and newbie zone look better than the vanilla Freeport stuff and it's still just unpleasant to look at.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

My personal main problem with EQ2's graphics was how plasticy everything looked. Like everything, characters/armor included, looked like they were made out of plastic that had been dipped in gloss.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It sucked a lot that EQ2 had terrible gear options wrt appearance. Every robe I got shared the same 3-4 designs until you got something from a raid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MH Knights posted:

My personal main problem with EQ2's graphics was how plasticy everything looked. Like everything, characters/armor included, looked like they were made out of plastic that had been dipped in gloss.

I described them as poser models when I tried it.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Freakazoid_ posted:

It sucked a lot that EQ2 had terrible gear options wrt appearance. Every robe I got shared the same 3-4 designs until you got something from a raid.

I remember showing my friend the Bloodfang raid set from WoW while he was still raiding in EQ2. Dude was wearing a fully fabled chain set that looked like the recolored level 20 quest set.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
EQ2 still had some of my favorite pvp.

Being able to target through allies without having to hit additional buttons ruled. You effectively had an offensive and defensive target which vanguard saga of heroes also did.

That and taunts / detaunts working in pvp was amazing.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

EQ2 looks less bad if you turn on anime mode, then you can pretend it's lovely mirror-universe ffxiv where instead of tightly tuned rotations with abilities that can fit onto a ps4 gamepad you get hundreds upon hundreds of strikingly similar abilities dumped haphazardly onto your ever increasing hotbar stack until it consumes 2/3 of your screen

with that said I thought some of the classes were rad, the one time I gave the game a serious try I rolled an inquisitor and quickly learned that I could kick the absolute poo poo out of everything with a huge mace and that was actually how you were supposed to play this healer class

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
EQ2 had a lot of cool ideas, but sadly they were trapped in an ugly, clunky, dreadfully optimized game that released around the same time as WoW.

The class and race diversity was great; I particularly appreciated how each class had a good and evil variant and how there were multiple support classes built around CC, buffs, and debuffs rather than WoW’s trinity. There were also some clever mechanics around class abilities lighting up in a certain order to execute combos (I think it was semi-random to keep you on your toes?), which was novel for the time. But unfortunately the devs didn’t seem to know what to do with the classes beyond adding dozens of barely distinguishable abilities to them, and they didn’t know what to do with the PvE encounter design other than endless, boring HP sponges.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Has anyone tried Dragon Quest X? The translation software is apparently pretty good now and Japan loves the game. I’m probably going to do the free trial later and would love to have some goonies to play with.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

sailormoon posted:

Has anyone tried Dragon Quest X? The translation software is apparently pretty good now and Japan loves the game. I’m probably going to do the free trial later and would love to have some goonies to play with.

I played it a little years ago and liked it a lot, so I'm intrigued by the prospect of a translation patch or w/e. In terms of how battle works it's kiiinda like FFXI in a way.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-reportedly-working-with-developer-mainframe-on-cloud-native-mmo/

this could obviously end up nothing, but it seems interesting. It sounds like they're making an mmo that you can not only play on a computer, but stream through the web as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elyon is available to everyone on Steam now. I am going to give this game a try, but I am sure I will uninstall it quickly.