Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best one of these is the Warehouse 13 finale. They wrapped up the main story one episode early, so they could goof off with the last having everyone show their favourite/defining moments as a Warehouse Agent.

All of them events that never actually occurred during the series, and are just fun little vignettes for their own sake. Including an amazing tap-dance musical number :allears:.

42nd STREEEEET!

Warehouse 13 was just an absolute gem of a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Warehouse 13 was just an absolute gem of a show.

They knew hey had only a handful of episodes for that last season so BOY do they pour some love into them.

*trumpet blares, wind swirls* Olé!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Eimi posted:

But then how did the Naked Now work when that's explicitly reference the Naked Time?

There's obviously an exception for getting really horny.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

A.o.D. posted:

There's obviously an exception for getting really horny.

"I don't want this to be at all like TOS"
"Data will gently caress"
*roddenberry scrambles to comission the episode*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Quinton posted:

It's compressed, but Rutherford's memories that flash past as he's purging redundant copies has a bit of that...

Why would his memories be from this 3rd person perspective?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

The_Doctor posted:

Those were his triple redundant backups so of course they'd be from a third person perspective. That's how it works.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i think one reason i dug this episode so much is that it kinda feels like "star trek does apollo 13" - in that there's a lot of rapid improvisation to avert (space) disaster

what other trek episodes were even like this one? i'm struggling to think, but i'm also on coffee cup number one

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crusader posted:

i think one reason i dug this episode so much is that it kinda feels like "star trek does apollo 13" - in that there's a lot of rapid improvisation to avert (space) disaster

what other trek episodes were even like this one? i'm struggling to think, but i'm also on coffee cup number one

Nothing quite as good

Shuttlepod One and the Radishes episode both had some of the same feel imo

Should have been most of Voyager, but :effort:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

The Bloop posted:

Nothing quite as good

Shuttlepod One and the Radishes episode both had some of the same feel imo

Should have been most of Voyager, but :effort:

Booby Trap and Disaster in TNG and Starship Down and Civil Defense from DS9 have a similar feel too imo

The scenes of navigating through the debris by hand and the concept of running on minimal power to avoid a space mystery are cribbed from Booby Trap, for example

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 17, 2021

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

oh right, disaster was the one i think was on the tip of my brain

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Chairman posted:

Booby Trap and Disaster in TNG and Starship Down and Civil Defense from DS9 have a similar feel too imo

The scenes of navigating through the debris by hand and the concept of running on minimal power to avoid a space mystery are cribbed from Booby Trap, for example

Disaster is the Radishes episode, I was just being a bit silly

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

The Bloop posted:

Disaster is the Radishes episode, I was just being a bit silly

for some reason I had it in my brain that the kid grew potatoes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Chairman posted:

for some reason I had it in my brain that the kid grew potatoes

That was the weird part!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Before lower decks ends we will see the Executive Officer In Charge Of Radishes once again

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The_Doctor posted:

Mirror universe

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

This is somehow the perfect title card.

Poor, long-suffering Miles.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bloop posted:

Before lower decks ends we will see the Executive Officer In Charge Of Radishes once again
They need to bring back at least one of those kids that had dead parents on TNG like the one Worf 'adopted' and was never heard from again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Nah, I think there's at least one background Vulcan in Farpoint, plus there's Dr. Selar in second season's The Schizoid Man, plus Sarek and his attendant Vulcan assistant in third season's Sarek.
I guess they must have changed some things when the show aired, because I went into the show bible and sure enough it says on page 11 - 'No Stories About Warfare with Klingons or Romulans and No Stories with Vulcans'

Then a few paragraphs down it says 'No Stories in which our technology breaks down in order to create a jeopardy' which I find amusing considering all of the times something like that happens with just the holodeck

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Star_Trek/2_The_Next_Generation/Star_Trek_-_The_Next_Generation_Bible.pdf

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess they must have changed some things when the show aired, because I went into the show bible and sure enough it says on page 11 - 'No Stories About Warfare with Klingons or Romulans and No Stories with Vulcans'

Then a few paragraphs down it says 'No Stories in which our technology breaks down in order to create a jeopardy' which I find amusing considering all of the times something like that happens with just the holodeck

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Star_Trek/2_The_Next_Generation/Star_Trek_-_The_Next_Generation_Bible.pdf

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Looks good to me.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

Looks good to me.

i couldn’t sum up star trek better if i tried

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tut tut the TOS one is wrong

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’ve begun watching TNG, and honestly the amount of all powerful entities going around the universe testing the moral character of random passerby is frankly concerning.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I’ve begun watching TNG, and honestly the amount of all powerful entities going around the universe testing the moral character of random passerby is frankly concerning.

Did like the Klingons get different tests though?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Powered Descent posted:

Clerks did it even better.

They did the clip show on the second episode and kept flashing back to last week as a running gag in between flashing back to things we never saw.
I remember watching this when I was 16 and it confused the everloving poo poo out of me because I wasn't smart enough to get the joke.
Clerks was truly amazing and I'm glad Lower Decks didn't suffer the same fate.

Also note the number of times the crew is exposed to faster-than-warp-10 tech, have an exchange of information with the entity that introduced it, and then never use it.

It's at least three times and the only long-running warp change we get is everyone putting on the brakes because of one specific system having an allergic reaction to warp bubbles.
(Unless you count the fake future in the finale where they go Warp 14 but we've all seen Picard, we know that poo poo's fake)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 17, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Killer robot posted:

When the Continuum wants to prank a Q they give them a mission to get a Klingon captain to accidentally wipe out his own race by scanning an anomaly too hard.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is this grey weird pajamas alien in love with Wesley?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Did a Star Trek character just say she was being chased by a “rape gang”? And I thought Disco was the dark trek.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Did a Star Trek character just say she was being chased by a “rape gang”? And I thought Disco was the dark trek.
yep

there's an 80s/90s Crime Wave Planet, one which makes Wesley ask why people do drugs

I think it only gets mentioned in one or two episodes, though

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Killer robot posted:

The Klingons killed their gods. The various godlike beings took that as a lesson and don't gently caress with the Klingons.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

galenanorth posted:

yep

there's an 80s/90s Crime Wave Planet, one which makes Wesley ask why people do drugs

I think it only gets mentioned in one or two episodes, though

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yar, for instance, is hooked on black tar

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I get and praise what the they were going for, but the dress uniforms for dudes are some of the most hilarious poo poo I have ever seen.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Killer robot posted:

There's a lot of questions like this. Like why did that one alien in conondrum go to the trouble of brainwashing the enterprise so they would blow up the enemy aliens, instead of just trading his brain washing technology to the ferengi for some WMDs?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Erulisse posted:

This all boils down to "Theres no spock it aint a trek!", whilst DIS has every other notion of trek, just poo poo.
Hell, even Seth McF's fan trek is more trek. And Orville is even more.
Even Picard, for how shite it is, is closer to trek than DIS.

This seems a little extreme! I thought there were some really good episodes in Season 2, and for all its flaws, it does have lots of moments that feel like Star Trek (Saru I think is the best thing about the series). If it wasn't for the trifecta of galactically important missions, being secretly instrumental in too many preexsisting stories* and season 3's solving every ep through a teary speech - I think people would be as ok as they'd ever be with Discovery. It's hard, because so much online chatter about the show is polluted by alt-right weirdo's complaining that the cast is Black and Asian led and whatever else.

That said, the one progressive thing they could have handled better was the character coming out as trans. It's framed as a big deal in Disco because obviously it's a big deal in 2021, but it ends up making it feel like it's somehow still a potential issue in the world of the show. If that makes sense.

*I honestly really enjoyed the 'Previously on...' bit just being footage from The Cage, though.

edit:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've never read this before and it truly is horny AF. I enjoyed the description of Picard as being at peak attractiveness to women, and the insistence that men are sexually irresistable to all women up until their 70's. Sure, Gene.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 17, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I get and praise what the they were going for, but the dress uniforms for dudes are some of the most hilarious poo poo I have ever seen.

Too wishy washy with the design imo. Either give them a tunic length tunic, or go down to the floor.

Also not waist tight enough, they look like they just hang straight down

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

This seems a little extreme! I thought there were some really good episodes in Season 2, and for all its flaws, it does have lots of moments that feel like Star Trek (Saru I think is the best thing about the series). If it wasn't for the trifecta of galactically important missions, being secretly instrumental in too many preexsisting stories* and season 3's solving every ep through a teary speech - I think people would be as ok as they'd ever be with Discovery. It's hard, because so much online chatter about the show is polluted by alt-right weirdo's complaining that the cast is Black and Asian led and whatever else.

That said, the one progressive thing they could have handled better was the character coming out as trans. It's framed as a big deal in Disco because obviously it's a big deal in 2021, but it ends up making it feel like it's somehow still a potential issue in the world of the show. If that makes sense.

*I honestly really enjoyed the 'Previously on...' bit just being footage from The Cage, though.

edit:

I've never read this before and it truly is horny AF. I enjoyed the description of Picard as being at peak attractiveness to women, and the insistence that men are sexually irresistable to all women up until their 70's. Sure, Gene.

At one point Patrick Stewart was voted sexiest man alive while he was in TNG.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/drerinmac/status/1449420168199819274?s=20

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I know exactly what scene that is, I played it over multiple times to try to understand what anyone was saying but I just couldn't isolate a single line (an issue I have at bars, too.) Nice to know what Shax says, now if only I knew what everyone else said!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Lol are Tasha and Worf just there to be shat upon in an endless series of “violence is never the right choice” scenarios?