Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

SettingSun posted:

Another game where you deal with Chozo allies like the Luminoth in Prime 2 would be pretty rad.

I know they said the Prime series isn't canon but i couldn't help but notice that the chozo guys wore armor with striking similarities to the Dark Suit from Prime 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
"Prime isn't canon" was never said. It was more like "the events of Prime are irrelevant to Other M" since that was its own story arc that wasn't referenced in that game.

Samus Returns pretty much enforced that the events of Prime did happen with the Proteus Ridley fight.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

RBA Starblade posted:

I tried to get the shinespark kill on the Experiment in Cataris but the first time I got it, it didn't register I hit him, and the second time it didn't register AND I took damage from a swipe. The third time it wouldn't stop screw attacking so I gave up and just shot it to death. gently caress you too I guess.

Also lol the storm missile phase is just "can you sweep this before the aoe pulse hurts you"

I'm doing a hard mode run and I thought "hey I'll try the Shinespark quick kill" and failed miserably at it twice. Did it the normal way spamming storm missiles and ripped through the fight

That being said shinesparking Escue was glorious

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

When Other M was released, a lot of things Sakamoto never said somehow got attributed to him. The Prime series not being canon being one of them. Not sure if it's due to a mistranslation or just bitter fans making poo poo up, but all he said is that the events of the Prime series is irrelevant to Other M which is more concerned with being a sequel to Super and prequel to Fusion. The Prime series still happened.

I feel like "Metroid Dread is the last Metroid game!" is another thing that is either a mistranslation or just folk making poo poo up. It's the last game about Metroids as the focus but there's still eventually gonna be a Metroid 6.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Raxivace posted:

The sequel will be called something like Dread 2: Samus Returns Again.

Dread vs Dredd

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Computer posted:

finally the claw grip returns

I already do this because in order to run, jump then aim my gun, toggle Grapple and fire I'm holding a direction on the stick+B+L+ZR+Y. It's on some classic input code poo poo. ZL and ZR should have been fire and jump, R Missile, L Grapple, use the C-Stick to aim, Y Dodge, B could be another Jump and A is your Shift ability. This way you can basically always aim when you need to.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

sigher posted:

I already do this because in order to run, jump then aim my gun, toggle Grapple and fire I'm holding a direction on the stick+B+L+ZR+Y. It's on some classic input code poo poo. ZL and ZR should have been fire and jump, R Missile, L Grapple, use the C-Stick to aim, Y Dodge, B could be another Jump and A is your Shift ability. This way you can basically always aim when you need to.

That sounds awful. Let's not do that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TaurusOxford posted:

That sounds awful. Let's not do that.

And Stick+B+L+ZR+Y isn't? It's a pretty standardized control scheme among FPS titles now, it allows you to jump, aim, move and fire without having to claw grip.

FromSoft titles put all of your attacks on the shoulder triggers and movement/items on face buttons because it allows you to always be attacking and moving the camera or having your finger at the ready to dodge. This game doesn't need a toggle to aim button, just put that on the right stick.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Finally finished at 10:25 / 82%, what a return to grace for the series. I could definitely see a few scars from the reported development trouble in the repeated miniboss encounters towards the end and the Metroid Suit round of the final boss being cinematic only but the exploration and unique boss fights absolutely nailed it, it really does feel like Samus Returns walked so this game could run

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thinking back on it I don't really mind the repetitive minibosses towards the end. The multicoloured Chozo were fun to fight and got progressively more challenging. The game's real weak spot in terms of bosses for me is the Central Units. You fight them five times and I honestly didn't notice any difference at all each time - except it probably had more health to compensate for your weapons getting stronger, and maybe fired a few more projectiles at you.

By the third or fourth encounter they feel like brief, irritating speedbumps. If there'd been some payoff - like the final one turning out to be something closer to the walking Mother Brain or something - I'd be a lot more satisfied with them. As they are though I don't really understand why they're even there.

I was also kind of disappointed that the EMMI didn't really end up leading to anything more interesting given that they were so central to the marketing. I liked that they used the last one to show off Samus' cray powers but that could have been a great boss fight.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sigher posted:

And Stick+B+L+ZR+Y isn't? It's a pretty standardized control scheme among FPS titles now, it allows you to jump, aim, move and fire without having to claw grip.

FromSoft titles put all of your attacks on the shoulder triggers and movement/items on face buttons because it allows you to always be attacking and moving the camera or having your finger at the ready to dodge. This game doesn't need a toggle to aim button, just put that on the right stick.
mashing the shoulder buttons with your index fingers to shoot is considerably more taxing than the face button/thumb combination and i would hate it

the *real* solution is that the game should have control options instead of going with their One True Control Scheme like nintendo always does

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Amppelix posted:

mashing the shoulder buttons with your index fingers to shoot is considerably more taxing than the face button/thumb combination and i would hate it

the *real* solution is that the game should have control options instead of going with their One True Control Scheme like nintendo always does

This. Every single game should have control remapping options.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
i thought the grapple beam was crappy, especially the one place that you go from one grapple block on the ceiling to another. make it autoaim or something, i'm moving too fast to aim it. or i'm missing a way to preaim

e: oh, i dont like the control stick for shinesparking, but w/e

Quotey fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 17, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I can't believe how much hate there is for the controls of one of the smoothest controlling games I've ever played.

I get that everyone has their own tastes, but this game was like the control equivalent of butter

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a decent map for the collectibles yet? I've got some areas that have no flashing icons left and the map looks 100% filled but I'm sitting at like 95% collection or something, so there's an item i simply can't make out on the map because the colouring/highlighting is pretty poo poo.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

ikanreed posted:

I get that everyone has their own tastes, but this game was like the control equivalent of butter

the inputs were all responsive but the actual layout was clunky to me

it also took me a while to get used to walljump not being super's walljump and i'm still not 100% sure how you use the control stick during the boosted walljump rebounds because of it even though I 100%ed the game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Is there a decent map for the collectibles yet? I've got some areas that have no flashing icons left and the map looks 100% filled but I'm sitting at like 95% collection or something, so there's an item i simply can't make out on the map because the colouring/highlighting is pretty poo poo.

there are actually hidden rooms in each area that the game never tells you about with flashing. you can mostly guess where they are by looking at the map layout :ssh:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Quotey posted:

i thought the grapple beam was crappy, especially the one place that you go from one grapple block on the ceiling to another. make it autoaim or something, i'm moving too fast to aim it. or i'm missing a way to preaim

e: oh, i dont like the control stick for shinesparking, but w/e

Grapple is actually an area that took a step back from Returns.

In Returns you would automatically swap to grapple if you pointed at a grapple block while in free aim, which had a very obvious tell in your aiming beam going from red to blue. Here, you have to hold the grapple button the entire time, and have to tell the difference between two shades of blue while in motion.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

ikanreed posted:

I can't believe how much hate there is for the controls of one of the smoothest controlling games I've ever played.

this

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BisbyWorl posted:

Grapple is actually an area that took a step back from Returns.

In Returns you would automatically swap to grapple if you pointed at a grapple block while in free aim, which had a very obvious tell in your aiming beam going from red to blue. Here, you have to hold the grapple button the entire time, and have to tell the difference between two shades of blue while in motion.
i really liked the automatic grapple in returns, but i'm like 99% sure the reason they didn't go with it in dread is because of the spider magnet walls and how grapple interacts with them

the walls are everywhere and take up much more space than a simple grapple point, so if it automatically turned off your gun and switched to grapple every time you looked in the direction of one it would really mess with your regular ol' shootin'

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

i really liked the automatic grapple in returns, but i'm like 99% sure the reason they didn't go with it in dread is because of the spider magnet walls and how grapple interacts with them

the walls are everywhere and take up much more space than a simple grapple point, so if it automatically turned off your gun and switched to grapple every time you looked in the direction of one it would really mess with your regular ol' shootin'

The solution there would be to only have that functionality happen at the small individual grapple points. But then that would defeat the purpose of having the grappling "puzzles" leading to an item, of which there's maybe 2 or 3. Also signposting to the player that their grapple beam works differently for these vertical blocks vs grapple doors/blocks/walls would add another layer of explanation/confusion.

I see why they did it, and it's definitely frustrating to use, but it's one of the few control mechanics that didn't start clicking after a few minutes, and fortunately, wasn't required for 100% at least. Speedrunners will probably figure out something cool to do with it though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i played Super to get hype for Dread so the grappling felt like a brand new sports car lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don’t know what y’all mean by claw grip. I struggled a bit with the controls to start, but that was mostly because I kept hitting super metroid buttons.

I don’t really have beef with the control scheme once I got used to it.

About the only issue I had was with initiating shinespark while running to the right and that’s probably an issue with my joycon.

Speedboosted walljumps are the same as standard wall jumps.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that being said the grappling button was the only one i kept having problems with because you didn't really use it often enough for it to become second nature like the aiming/missile toggles.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The most trouble I had with the controls was simply not knowing all of the capabilities of shinesparking in this game, like being able to maintain it through a slide or resume sprinting out of an activation, and wondering how on earth you were supposed to clear the puzzle.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

multijoe posted:

The most trouble I had with the controls was simply not knowing all of the capabilities of shinesparking in this game, like being able to maintain it through a slide or resume sprinting out of an activation, and wondering how on earth you were supposed to clear the puzzle.

shinesparking to me is like Triple Triad in Final Fantasy or koi-koi in Yakuza where it's like this entirely adjacent game within the game that weirdos are really into

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don’t know what y’all mean by claw grip. I struggled a bit with the controls to start, but that was mostly because I kept hitting super metroid buttons.

I don’t really have beef with the control scheme once I got used to it.

fwiw i was only making a joke, i really like the control scheme in dread

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Kin posted:

It's probably powerbombs. Double check all the barely noticable power bomb upgrades on the map to see if you got them. I swore I explored all of the maps, and I did, but completely passed over those icons

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the actual map part of the map isn't bad but my god are the icons terrible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Was I supposed to get screw attack before or after thawing Artaria? Was that the vital upgrade the game meant or something else? I have like five power bomb upgrades now and no bombs lol

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the actual map part of the map isn't bad but my god are the icons terrible.

Yeah pretty much

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

Was I supposed to get screw attack before or after thawing Artaria?

After.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Man the emmi who can electricute you in the room with loads of water is such a prick.

Love the game so far, even though its much more linear than i hoped: in reality this isnt a problem because the pacing is so nice and it feels wonderful to control. But it does feel a little like riding a metroidvania themed rollercoaster. Like im 6 hours in and I havent really ever felt like I had to choose where to go.

But this bit is the first time where i feel like the pacing is coming to a halt because my progress is halted by an emmi encounter. I could go back and explore older zones, but i would have to backtrack through emmi town and thats no fun.

Edit: spells

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ayy lol

Thanks, just needed to know if I should look harder around there

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Science_enthusiast posted:

Man the emmi who can electricute you in the room with loads of water is such a prick.

Love the game so far, even though its much more linear than i hoped: in reality this isnt a problem because the pacing is so nice and it feels wonderful to control. But it does feel a little like riding a metroidvania themed rollercoaster. Like im 6 hours in and I havent really ever felt like I had to choose where to go.

But this bit is the first time where i feel like the pacing is coming to a halt because my progress is halted by an emmi encounter. I could go back and explore older zones, but i would have to backtrack through emmi town and thats no fun.

Edit: spells

Once you have a few abilities, you can go off the rails. Depending on how much you’ve died and reset through various things, 6 hours might mean that you’re still in the first third of the game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's weird that I love how this game looks despite it being a 2d/3d platformer which I usually hate. Like people keep trying to tell me to play DKR Tropical Freeze and I'm sure it's great but I can't stand how games like that and NSMB look

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The game is more open than you think, but it requires you to pay attention to the environments and take advantage of Samus' insane mobility options. It's very Zero Mission in its approach to being non-linear.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

It is way less linear than at first glance

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 17, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's weird that I love how this game looks despite it being a 2d/3d platformer which I usually hate. Like people keep trying to tell me to play DKR Tropical Freeze and I'm sure it's great but I can't stand how games like that and NSMB look

Those two series are uniquely ugly. Nintendo's studios have never really gotten the hang of 2.5D until Dread imo.

stev fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 17, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the problem with 2.5D is that it is much easier for it to look worse than traditional 2D. Like with sprites a lot of the time at worst you'll get an ugly art style, with bad 2.5D you get muddy messes with indistinct depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How did this post twice?