Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Might be a rundundant tip but for necro savants nets are super helpful.

oh yeah I know, I'm just about as scared of them as I am lindwurms and barbarian chosen, anyway.
I have a mental checklist for fighting necro savants and it's like:
  1. Mace man with 85+ matk
  2. Someone with 45+ mdef and taunt - with an addendum from previous bad experience that they need like 60 health even if they're encased in a ball of metal.
  3. Someone with decent matk and a whip or triple flail, unless my company as a whole has high average matk. Bonus points if they're a duelist carrying a net.
Took forever to check that list off this run because cultists have lovely base stats, and having no one in the first like 60 days survive to level 7 aside from my designated Good Boy meant I could only take on fights that one greatsword could carry a bunch of baby mercs through.

Anyway closed out the second crisis (greenskins) by destroying a random hellish goblin hill fort. It dropped a disgusting bounty of two Vlad the impaler hats :v:

I usually turn permanent destruction off but I apparently forgot this time. I guess it's fitting for a cult run anyway. Can any city be destroyed in the crises, or is it only smaller ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What strategy do people generally use to get a group of half decent bros with peasant militia? I figure I'll never really have any godly individuals and can see some of the endgame stuff being next to impossible as a result, but I know it's a popular origin.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm trying a cultist run right now and by far the most annoying part is that in the random conversion events my guys keep converting the level 1 beggars and cripples I've hired as sacrifices instead of the high-level bros who've been fighting on the front lines for the last ten weeks, even though they're all equally lowborn.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What strategy do people generally use to get a group of half decent bros with peasant militia? I figure I'll never really have any godly individuals and can see some of the endgame stuff being next to impossible as a result, but I know it's a popular origin.

You can still get really good bros, but they'll never be quite as good as the expensive ones. The thing is that you have to go through a lot of hires to find the good ones. If you're willing to savescum recruits that makes it a lot easier, otherwise just expect to spend a lot of money on hiring and firing to get bros with good stars in the right places.

Especially look for bros with backgrounds like butcher, brawler, graverobber, houndmaster, lumberjack, manhunter, militia, thief, who can all have decent base attack and defence scores without significant drawbacks in other important areas.

Daytalers, farmhands, fishermen, gravediggers, millers, ratcatchers, and shepherds can all be fine with good stars and don't have any big drawbacks, but are more hit or miss because their key starting stat ranges are lower than the above.

Miners can make excellent polearm bros since they have good starting stats but low fatigue. They will usually get at least one event giving them some bonus fatigue after a while in your company.

For ranged unfortunately you're limited to poachers, so hire pretty much every one you see until you find ones with really good ranged attack stars.

The other options are pretty bad.

Honestly most of my militia runs end up full of brawlers and militia, who are excellent backgrounds while still being lowborn, cheap, and easy to find.

With good and lucky recruiting, a militia company can have mostly bros who would be endgame quality on any other kind of run, but with the added bonus of four extra bros, which has the added benefit of letting you carry a few bros who are a little lower quality. The thing is though that it will take a lot longer to reach that endgame quality level, for two reasons: one, relying on stars instead of starting stats means your bros only catch up to the skill levels of better backgrounds as they reach the higher levels, and two, your XP gains are spread out over more bros so they all level slower. If you're interested in playing hundreds of days and doing post-endgame content, however, the militia are probably the strongest of any company background.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Roll on militas, brawlers, and manhunters

vyelkin posted:

I'm trying a cultist run right now and by far the most annoying part is that in the random conversion events my guys keep converting the level 1 beggars and cripples I've hired as sacrifices instead of the high-level bros who've been fighting on the front lines for the last ten weeks, even though they're all equally lowborn.
I think indebted can't be converted so maybe get them as your sac fodder?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

vyelkin posted:

For ranged unfortunately you're limited to poachers, so hire pretty much every one you see until you find ones with really good ranged attack stars.

Shepherds have the same max ranged attack roll as poachers, though their minimum is much lower. Probably not worth hiring them unless you're just in the south and need some bros to fill your ranks, and just happen to be willing to gamble on a low chance to get a good archer.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Count Uvula posted:

I usually turn permanent destruction off but I apparently forgot this time. I guess it's fitting for a cult run anyway. Can any city be destroyed in the crises, or is it only smaller ones?

Any city can. Hell if you play long enough and sit on your thumbs enough, the whole map can technically get wiped out.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Lumberjacks are the crown jewel of the lowborn characters, as far as I can tell. Farmers are pretty good.

Shepherds, as said, can be a good archer, but basically anyone can be a good archer with the right stars, it's just rare to see them and you can't test for it, so you're stuck with scratch off tickets. One of my best archers was a miner, of all things.

Second place to Lumberjacks would probably be Manhunters, who also have bonuses nearly across the board. Hell, they might be first place. They have a tiny (less than one level) disadvantage to ranged defense, neutral ranged attack, and are otherwise better than neutral at everything.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Peasants can get squires can't they? They can be real gods once you get cash rolling, very random though.

Theives are pro tier backgrounds whatever your origin, as are brawlers.

Wildmen can also roll up as gods but are fairly random, I think they are roughly the same as manhunters.

The South also has a bunch of good ones too, nomads are a bit like squires.

Beggars and gamblers are also scratch off tickets, unlikely to find a winner but can be really good, and are super cheap.

Fishermen, grave diggers, farmhands etc are your usual early game hand holders till you find something good.

Criples are good filler, they cost next to nothing and if you don't give them any gear of value they do work. Adrenaline, 9 lives, fast adaptation and just use them for surround bonuses, to soak up hits, net dispencing devices and run around as distractions if they last long enough. They are trash but so cheap you don't care very early, sacrificing them for virtually anything of value is a good trade.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 10, 2021

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

squires
Wildmen
nomads
gamblers

These ones aren't recruitable by the peasant militia.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Count Uvula posted:

These ones aren't recruitable by the peasant militia.

Can you tell I don't play it very often?

Wow that's a weird list. Gamblers?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i guess it's a case of the peasants have no money to gamble and the gamblers are all kids of rich merchants or like 5th sons of a noble house or something

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I've finally picked this up and have been slowing playing it (when I can find the drat time!), just learning as I go pretty much, I did watch a bit of a let's play of it and noticed in the video the guy was able to move at like 5x the speed my game goes on his world map, how da fuk can I make my game do that?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It's a mod I think. I personally play with a few QOL mods and speeding up map travel with hotkeys is one of them

Take a peek at this instead of searching through Nexus or other mod sites

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
As a new player you may want to be careful about mods for faster over world travel without putting some other mod, I don't use these ones but I know there is one that auto pauses when you encounter an enemy party.

Things can happen pretty fast on the map as is and I can't count the number of times my company has beefed it because I looked down at my phone while traipsing through the woods or w/e

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

quote:

Favoriting - Adds the ability to favorite items with CTRL ALT right click. Favoriting prevents sales in shops, and sorts to top with both of the sorts from sort mod. Shows up in shop ui and combat ui.

drat that's a tempting mod.

The quartermaster one makes me wonder what the actual use case for the quartermaster is, modded or unmodded... I don't think I've ever run out of ammo or medicine outside of times I've just refused to buy any at a premium price for too long. Is it just good for like gimmick mods where you're rolling with 6 ranged mercs?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
5 Day caravan missions, where the idiot steering the wagons keeps timing it so every city between the two destinations is reached during the night.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

meanwhile, the caravaneer is like "who is this idiot merc who decided we should set out now, doesn't he know we'll hit every city in the middle of the night?"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
No, you stop if you're attacked. It's those drat bandits fault. They stood no chance of killing me and taking the goods..... It was all a ploy to make sure I didn't get to the cities.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

rideANDxORdie posted:

As a new player you may want to be careful about mods for faster over world travel without putting some other mod, I don't use these ones but I know there is one that auto pauses when you encounter an enemy party.
The mod for travel speed in that list comes with auto-pause on spotting enemies :eng101: Can't imagine to ever play without it again tbh

Also very fond of settlement tooltips so I don't have to memorize what each modifier does.

Veryslightlymad posted:

No, you stop if you're attacked. It's those drat bandits fault. They stood no chance of killing me and taking the goods..... It was all a ploy to make sure I didn't get to the cities.
Good name+avatar+post combo

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 12, 2021

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

let's talk about Werner here. poor bro got bonked by a Brigand Raider early and just hasn't been quite right since. he keeps diving in to save his brothers and living. all of the injuries really amount to him being very slow but still just as deadly :black101:

I'm on day 47 of a Band of Poachers campaign. in retrospect my biggest issue was not fighting enough. I've started having multiple backup pairs of armor and bros for injury replacement. I was wasting a bunch of time waiting for people to heal instead of placing fodder on the front line and rolling with it. I will say that dagger bros are good at taking out Brigands and Nomads

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

I always end up with a bro like that, give them 9 lives, throw them into the meat grinder and watch them come grinning out the other side missing an ear.

And to add a bit of content my fodder build.

9 lives or colossus if they happen to have a lot of HP
Gifted or rotation
Dodge or Shield mastery

They are usually dead by this point but you can also add underdog, lone wolf, nimble.

For offensive bros that won't amount to anything long term but have some MATK.

Adrenaline, fast adaptation, gifted, dodge, rotation works well.

A bunch of stuff you'd never take on a real bro but works really well at turning trash into something that can do some early work.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 14, 2021

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I've started internalizing the fact that it's ok to have early-mid game bros and to just let them go when the time comes. I had a bro I kept trying to throw into the grinder, partially collapsed lung, but kept living for another 20 days and even killed a Brigand Leader. I'll never forget you Sorrel :patriot:

also I hate serpents. really they're an armor, nimble, battleforged check when you're on equal footing. which is how Werner lost his ear; got chain pulled from the back line

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
It is wild how early the game throws serpent hunting contracts at you. The game seems to think they are equal in difficulty to direwolves and hyenas but even just four serpents can wipe an early company, you really don't want to deal with them at all until everyone is in mail or better

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Yeah the South is harder on early companies than the main body of the map. Even nomads are harder than their brigand counterparts.

And absolutely. The early game (lasting until between 7 days if your on it, good and lucky, to like 20) is all about getting your basics in place, gear, gold, and some bros good enough for the mid game.

Mid-game (I classify it as up to about day 150 which is where even with really good tactical play your mid game bros will start to die due to the games scaling) is all about getting better gear (Your first famed, t3 weapons, good if not the best armor), filling out your roster with mid game bros, searching for and finding the odd end game quality bro and leveling up for the crisis.

Late game is finding the rest of your god roster, replacing the last of your mid game guys and getting top of the line armor etc and then smashing out the hardest locations.

I find your mid game guys tend to be nimble, this works because the requirements are lower (can get to around 90-100 hp with colossus, about 100-105 stam, low 80s matk and low 20s mdef, mid 40s resolve is basically a perfect mid game nimble bro) and they come online with raider gear and the nimble feat. I build all of them with colossus, gifted and dodge as their first 3 feats.

Battleforged edge them out in the late game but require both a really good bro, more mdef and matk (for the end game) and the sheer cost in equipment so tend to underperform until you can full fit them out.

Weapon wise, top end weapons make a huge difference. I find maces and axes the best. Pair a guy with axe spec, quick hands and a longaxe works well and I combine a mace with polearm spec and a billhook (pathfinder helps here too).

Fight reaver barbarians for skull maces earlish, or buy a two handed winged if you see one under 2.5k. Long axes are on raiders alot. Billhook on mercs and noble armies, use raider pikes before that.

Axes the best drop from chosen but that's a hard fight, use what you find before.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 14, 2021

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

The advice on backgrounds for Peasants is pretty much spot on, and I highly suggest just save scumming/using a mod to see stats before hires because even for middling guys you're gonna need to go through a much larger pool of candidates than usual. There have been times where I've checked every city possible, with a Recruiter, and turned up nothing better than mediocre thrower Fisherman and disposable trash only good for shield and spear.

It's entirely likely you'll end up with a shitkicker frontline eventually and a workable backline is pretty easy to piece together for peasants.

I like to try to get some variety with my frontline when going peasant army, swap thrower/1h duelist middle front row ranks in particular can be deadly if you can find a few guys that can hit above 70 in melee (with a sword, 80+ melee attack with a mace) and ranged, and 20+ melee defense. A surprising amount of ratcatchers, poachers, shepherds and fisherman seem to be statted for it, and as long as you can hit thresholds for 60+ health and enough fatigue for battleforged armor or 90+ to go Nimble, you can mulch drat near everything before they become a problem. Those poachers that rolled too low for bow snipers and had useless melee stars can have a whole new purpose if you treat them like Roman legionaries.

Enough duelist throwers on top of your usual ranged line will break Barbarian and Orc heavies before they can hurt you, and some throwing axes will make even Ancient Dead a lot less threatening.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah quick hands is something I've been throwing on switch hitters. bros with a spear and shield that switch to a two-hander if they need to drop some pain. it also pairs nicely with javelins, forces those marksmen comps to come to you

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

By far the best best backline in my opinion is 4x throwers using heavy javs with quick hands and a two handed axe in the back pocket.

Their primary job is the high dps from throwing stuff (pathfinder is also good to rotate them where they are needed quickly) the axe is so you don't have to baby sit them, if something breaks through the lines who cares, quick hand out an axe and murder it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
lmao I'm glad you guys take the game seriously so I can read about it, I've sunk like a hundred hours into it and never seen a company last longer than 30 days because I like ironman mode and seeing what bullshit I'm going to stumble into this time

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I found a fun bug where I was attacked by brigands while I was waiting for an army battle during the noble war, so the brigands attacked my encampment, but it put me as the one outside the encampment (along with 20 noble army troops) sieging a bunch of bandits, who must have been really special thieves, because they stole my whole camp.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Picked this up a week ago on the Switch and have been going through the thread to get my bearings. My first three companies were all almost instantly annihilated. After reading a couple of guides my fourth one made it to day 80 and the first crisis but I realized along the way that I had built it rather poorly. People did not have the role best suited to their skills and I didn’t even have all of them in mail armor. So I retired it after the first battle versus the nobles. My fifth and latest company is going a lot better. I’m almost at day 30 and I got everyone in at least mail armor and helmet and I think I’ve picked better perks this time around. I know I’ve made lots of mistakes already and I doubt that I will win the first crisis but it’s nice to feel that I am learning and making progress.

Anyhow, game good. Game really good.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Bear in mind you don't have to "win" a crisis. The crises will end on their own eventually and it's fine to just survive. You don't even have to participate if you don't want to; you can just gently caress off into the wilderness and raid lairs or just take normal contracts.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I gathered as much from reading the thread. I just realized that I was so far behind that stuff would become really difficult fast and that it would be easier to restart with everything I’ve learnt so far.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

honestly I've never had anything but disastrous results from trying to be a full-on frontline player in my first crisis, my goal is to use it to scavenge for the boost I need to handle the second one. Still think it's a bit weird that the game posits surviving the first crisis as "winning" and basically encourages you to consider anything past that point "postgame"

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I feel like I'm not getting how you should play cultists to make them good. I'm a few sac events deep and while the extra morale and fatigue recovery is neat it doesn't really make up for the weak base stats of cultists even when they have a few stars in the right places :shrug:

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Are your characters not supposed to die when they go down from bleeding in a battle? I was grieving the loss of my best archer when he bled out in a battle, then noticed that he was still alive in my party afterwards, still with the “lacerated neck vein” status, and also with a new “weak heart” trait.

Playing in veteran on the switch if it matters

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
there is a chance they'll be struck down instead of outright killed. they gain a new permanent trait but as you can see from my recent posts they aren't all bad

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Characters are only guaranteed dead if they get eaten or decapitated.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
you can tell what happened to them if you check the combat log. it'll be struck down vs killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Characters are only guaranteed dead if they get eaten or decapitated.

Or if they die during the undead crisis and come back as a zombie before the end of the fight.