Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh god please get this poo poo out of my baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1446640083298406403?s=21

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Maybe this looks worse because the NBA put out a really cool video the other day in contrast. But I have no idea who this is aimed at.
Theater nerds
This is nowhere in the same galaxy as AAAAAAAAAAG

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

This is nowhere in the same galaxy as AAAAAAAAAAG

Truth.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/effragedaviswx/status/1447060998125408258?s=21

Absolutely love when stuff like this happens

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
:3:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
SBJ says Bally Sports could go bankrupt!

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Edward Mass posted:

Not the paragon of sports, gambling and right wing political news!

Any chance this drags Sinclair down with it?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Edward Mass posted:

lol

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Here is the article:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2021/10/11/Upfront/Media-landscape.aspx

Kind of interesting that Fanatics would be a player for this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fanatics has a lot of money but that would be really dumb of them since those networks are not profitable.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

sinclair was the only willing buyer for those channels

and then the pandemic hit

whoops

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the Portland Trail Blazers bringing in a local talent to assist with road broadcasts

https://twitter.com/CHold/status/1447600756782075908?s=20

still not 100% sure how this is going to work out but I'm glad he's going to be involved.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's good to see Neil getting work, I liked him.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Can anyone outside of the grips of Kabletown even watch any of the Bally's regionals?

They don't stream on any platform I'm aware of unless they have an al la carte option and even if they do, gently caress Bally's and gently caress Sinclair.

They want way too much :10bux: for the regional teams they do air.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Robnoxious posted:

Can anyone outside of the grips of Kabletown even watch any of the Bally's regionals?

They don't stream on any platform I'm aware of unless they have an al la carte option and even if they do, gently caress Bally's and gently caress Sinclair.

They want way too much :10bux: for the regional teams they do air.

I made the same complaint a page or two ago, and allegedly they are trying their own independent streaming service. I'm sure that will work out nicely.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

so who's ready for Gruden to get back in the booth

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Somewhere, nick castellanos hits a ball

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Somewhere, nick castellanos hits a ball

In the middle of bringing a dish of potatoes au gratin to the table, his arms involuntarily fling them across the room, mimicking the perfect home run swing of countless public relations disasters past. His wife looks at him with concern. "Should I turn on the TV?," she asks. "Sometimes I wish I did not know," he replies. "Turn it on."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hockles posted:

I made the same complaint a page or two ago, and allegedly they are trying their own independent streaming service. I'm sure that will work out nicely.

If you think things will get better for local sports if Bally Sports folds, I’d like to point you in the direction of the 85 streaming services that have launched in the past two years.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Edward Mass posted:

If you think things will get better for local sports if Bally Sports folds, I’d like to point you in the direction of the 85 streaming services that have launched in the past two years.

In a lot of ways we are already living in this world. Stuff that logically should be on RSNs has moved to like FUBO or TUBI or whatever. Even things that used to be staples like poker have moved somewhere else.

Now you have to pay $10 to see UMAS vs UCONN.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
After all the amusing ads for Hulu and its live sports, Dame and the Blazers seem to have no home for live broadcasts this season. Also sucks if you wanted to get in on the ground floor of Kraken fandom but live in the PNW.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2021/10/12/22723438/television-blazers-root-sports-directv-youtube-hulu

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

After all the amusing ads for Hulu and its live sports, Dame and the Blazers seem to have no home for live broadcasts this season. Also sucks if you wanted to get in on the ground floor of Kraken fandom but live in the PNW.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2021/10/12/22723438/television-blazers-root-sports-directv-youtube-hulu

what about cable? :v: specifically the host broadcaster, ROOT Sports, doesn't have a deal with DirecTV, YouTubeTV, or Hulu, or Dish Network on satellite.

would it be possible that getting a VPN and the NBA/NHL OTT platforms be cheaper and easier? it's loving ridiculous that it's gotten to this point in the streaming/broadcast wars.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

harperdc posted:

what about cable? :v: specifically the host broadcaster, ROOT Sports, doesn't have a deal with DirecTV, YouTubeTV, or Hulu, or Dish Network on satellite.

would it be possible that getting a VPN and the NBA/NHL OTT platforms be cheaper and easier? it's loving ridiculous that it's gotten to this point in the streaming/broadcast wars.

You can get very cheap international league pass with a VPN for NBA but apparently the quality is pretty bad although if you turn your vpn off at just the right time you get a high quality stream. I dunno if you're going to all that trouble I just don't see the moral difference between that and illegal streaming and at this point you can get some very high quality bootleg streams.

I'm at least toying with the opposite idea, getting cable league pass. It is hilariously cheaper than the full internet league pass at this point besides providing more Actually HD content.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

harperdc posted:

I am one of those lucky jerks who has access to a Spectrum login from a subscriber who I’m pretty sure gets ROOT Sports, unless it’s not part of the default plan. My parents don’t really do sports, and I’m not going to ask them to pay more for stuff I can stream off of pirate sites.

Mostly, I’m laughing that one of Hulu’s spokesmen for live sports is on a team that’s not shown on Hulu live sports at the moment.

Shout out again to Dorna for having had a mostly solid MotoGP video subscription option since before everyone did NordVPN ads on their YouTubes. And Willow.tv, who are impossible to cancel once you sign up, but will feed you all the high quality live cricket you can eat.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Where's the hope if Directv (with a sports package of $95/month) can't even reach a deal with those people? Hah

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

harperdc posted:

I don’t know how the VPN thing would work with ESPN+ (which is doing all the OOM games this year for the NHL as part of their basic sub), but you may want to give that a try

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1448428503142129675

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

harperdc posted:

Good news! Root Sports Northwest has been picked up by DirecTV and DirecTV Stream.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Time to begin year 3 of no avalanche or denver nuggets on Comcast or Dish.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

LionYeti posted:

Time to begin year 3 of no avalanche or denver nuggets on Comcast or Dish.

Bro, I haven't been able to watch the Astros since they were in the National League.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fanatics has a lot of money but that would be really dumb of them since those networks are not profitable.

Would that mean the betting lines on the scoring bug would be replaced by "2:51:05 LEFT TO ENTER CODE GOJACKETS42069 FOR 35% OFF ON MERCH"?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ClippelBoardy/status/1448819851078864906

:chloe:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/1449069948739805185

For the record, Walt Disney Company stock went up 2% after this report before an anonymous source refuted the claim.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Allison Williams is leaving ESPN over the COVID vaccine mandate

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have absolutely no sympathy for people who can write statements like that and just take at face value very clearly misleading or outright fraudulent reports of women having major side effects.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/1449069948739805185

For the record, Walt Disney Company stock went up 2% after this report before an anonymous source refuted the claim.

I always just kind of assumed ESPN was the equivalent of a loss leader for Disney in that they dump a lot of cash into them but it draws a lot of eyes to their products. But they do drop some pretty giant checks. I wonder without Disney how long ESPN could just own the sports world via their pocketbook.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think it would depend on whom would have control of ESPN post-Disney. Plus, the effect on ABC Sports would be important.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ESPN seems way too integrated into Disney for them to ever be spun off. Don’t they have ESPN stuff at the theme parks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

ESPN seems way too integrated into Disney for them to ever be spun off. Don’t they have ESPN stuff at the theme parks?

Not hugely in the parks themselves, but in assorted places elsewhere on the Disney property in Orlando. They have the ESPN Club restaurant and store on the boardwalk at Crescent Lake, the resort area between EPCOT and MGM Hollywood Studios, and the Wide World of Sports complex which they slapped the ESPN name on after Disney got it. Inside the parks themselves, they'd have some ESPN branded stuff in the big general merch stores at the front of the parks that'll sell a little bit of everything and in Downtown Disney, usually along side their own sports-ish stuff like jerseys for Mickey or whatever. However, even 20~ years ago when the Disney-ABC-ESPN thing was a lot more heavily promoted and utilized, back when shows like Mike & Mike would do a week at the ESPN Club or the 6 PM SportsCenter would be from Bay Lake next to Magic Kingdon, their stuff was never super prevalent. It wasn't like you were going to find ESPN shirts in the gift shop for Jungle Cruise or Star Tours.