Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
God hes still making eye contact with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bismuth posted:

God hes still making eye contact with me

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

This may come across as an odd thing too fixate on, but holy poo poo I'm so sick and tired of lovely creepy nerds and their obsession with "Lower back pain".
And yeah that is a legitimate issue for some women, but they don't care about that because they don't care about women.

It's just yet another excuse to do two of their favourite things, sexualize women and poo poo on women for being sexualized.

And this is a particularly infuriating example because this woman is literally just minding her own business, she wasn't being rude, she wasn't being flirty, she was just sitting there when our heroes decide to be awful too her for the crime of being what Mookie pictures when he thinks of jock dating cheerleaders.

And it speaks volumes of the kind of person Mookie was....is? that it didn't occur to him that this, and other things in this arc make his protagonists look like the worst kind of people.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

holy loving lol

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Oh my loving god

Edit:

Moola, I will happily buy you an avatar if you want one

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 16, 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

skeleton warrior posted:

Oh my loving god

Edit:

Moola, I will happily buy you an avatar if you want one

haha thank you but I already have one queued up x

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

:sbahj:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
lmfao goddamn

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

FINALLY caught up on this mammoth thread. I started reading the original mock thread around The Desert of Eldariat- to Die! storyline and became obsessed with this lovely comic. Mookie reminds me a lot of makers of famously lovely films, your Tommy Wiseaus, your Neil Breens and the like, in that he's utterly incapable of thinking he's wrong, devoid of curiosity, lacking in any loving sense of the perspective of others, belligerently gormless, stacked to the rafters with longstanding hangups any other adult would have grown out of, and just kind of an rear end all-around.

Beelzebufo, you're doing the lord's work in recapping OG Dominic Deegan for us like this. Trekking back through these turd-filled sewers with commentary has been wonderful. Please keep doing it for as long as it's fun.

I've a long-standing obsession with garbage- I love the aforementioned works of Wiseau, Breen, and so many others, and I've even spent several summers judging a recurring self-published novel contest (I was paid well for my time. I might have a masochistic glee for garbage but I'm not that masochistic).

With that in mind, I think The Legacy of Dominic Deegan is legitimately the worst piece of media I've ever consumed. For someone who has spent twenty loving years making comics to create a sequel series set in the world of his decade-and-a-half-long story and make it so unbelievably, spectacularly BORING... it absolutely boggles my mind. This story is as easy of a story to write as it gets and the Mookster's still loving it up. Incredible.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Beelzebufo posted:

Chapter 24: Around the World, Part 2: Faria

code:
[timg]https://i will.imgur.com/UDCMxT5.gif[/timg]
I think you got this URL wrong.

Also:

Beelzebufo posted:

....Is what I would be saying were not for a further twist coming at the end of this arc.

And, with Dominic and company drinking out of their enormous glasses of alcohol, we bid adieu until next time.
Also, people should keep this panel in mind for when the twist happens.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The best part about the twist is a while back a goon talked about how they found out how to see Mookie's comics early, posted the reveal unedited, and everyone thought it was an edit and demanded they post the real comic.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

holy poo poo

:aloom:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Zereth posted:

I think you got this URL wrong.

Oops, yep.

Here it is for people who don't want to go back. I think it's important to take in the, uh, "landscapes" that Mookie attempted with these locations. Each one is framed exactly the same way, and each one looks stupid in it's own unique way.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Holy poo poo, I just realized that if you put the hat on it, Snout's dick would look like Andy Capp.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Holy poo poo, I just realized that if you put the hat on it, Snout's dick would look like Andy Capp.

Andy Cack

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:five:

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

:five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five:

This entire thread has just been vindicated for existing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Holy poo poo it's perfect.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
What have we wrought??? :gonk:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

every day we stray further from gods light

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Are people's penises usually way smaller than their balls when flaccid?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

FINALLY caught up on this mammoth thread. I started reading the original mock thread around The Desert of Eldariat- to Die! storyline and became obsessed with this lovely comic. Mookie reminds me a lot of makers of famously lovely films, your Tommy Wiseaus, your Neil Breens and the like, in that he's utterly incapable of thinking he's wrong, devoid of curiosity, lacking in any loving sense of the perspective of others, belligerently gormless, stacked to the rafters with longstanding hangups any other adult would have grown out of, and just kind of an rear end all-around.

Beelzebufo, you're doing the lord's work in recapping OG Dominic Deegan for us like this. Trekking back through these turd-filled sewers with commentary has been wonderful. Please keep doing it for as long as it's fun.

I've a long-standing obsession with garbage- I love the aforementioned works of Wiseau, Breen, and so many others, and I've even spent several summers judging a recurring self-published novel contest (I was paid well for my time. I might have a masochistic glee for garbage but I'm not that masochistic).

With that in mind, I think The Legacy of Dominic Deegan is legitimately the worst piece of media I've ever consumed. For someone who has spent twenty loving years making comics to create a sequel series set in the world of his decade-and-a-half-long story and make it so unbelievably, spectacularly BORING... it absolutely boggles my mind. This story is as easy of a story to write as it gets and the Mookster's still loving it up. Incredible.

I legit believed that Dominic Deegan was the nadir of human creative endeavor but Legacy has blown it so clear out of the water it’s insane.
Legit love this comic. Mookie’s complete lack of anything resembling creative ability or storytelling skill has provided me more entertainment than many masterfully crafted stories have.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Beelzebufo posted:

Oops, yep.

Here it is for people who don't want to go back. I think it's important to take in the, uh, "landscapes" that Mookie attempted with these locations. Each one is framed exactly the same way, and each one looks stupid in it's own unique way.
and yet, this is still better than the stuff in Legacy because it's got a clear idea, that's being more or less communicated. If only because he's not tracing wildly out of place poo poo and not caring if the thing he's tracing for the exterior and interior of a library match up in the slightest, say.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Riot Bus posted:

Apparently Mookie's is lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Riot Bus posted:

Depends, but it's a fairly normal presentation.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Snout met a dwarf.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Riot Bus posted:

If your Michelangelo's David, I suppose...

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I know that we poo poo on this strip for how badly it tries to adhere to “NO DIALOGUE”, but what are some comics that you all would say actually handles a no/minimal dialogue gimmick well?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Regalingualius posted:

I know that we poo poo on this strip for how badly it tries to adhere to “NO DIALOGUE”, but what are some comics that you all would say actually handles a no/minimal dialogue gimmick well?

There was that Hawkeye issue where it's from pizza dogs perspective and also one where he's deaf I think?

One thing that has strongly stood out especially now in this cruise arc: Mookie loves his lovely purple prose, puns, and lazy fantasy means modern things spelled differently like mavpel.

Why would he suck everything he personally likes out of his comics? Is it so he can brag and give woe is me statements on Twitter? You know the tweets that get nearly 0 engagement

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

There's a manga called Gon, about a little yellow dinosaur and his misadventures/rampages through nature. No dialogue and no sound effects.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Regalingualius posted:

It's an entire thing in comics to intermittently do "no dialog" comics. In Marvel anyway. It's called Nuff Said, just like an issue where there's no dialog. They almost universally do it way better.

Also there's a rather famous GI Joe comic with Snake Eyes that's no dialog, Silent Interlude. It was the first appearance of Storm Shadow, and it manages to express roughly who Storm Shadow is without a shred of dialog.

"Oh poo poo, they're connected, and there's EMOTIONS involved in that!"

Legacy just reminds me of The Quiet Man, where it's handling its gimmick in the most inept way possible while thinking it's Art.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mutant Headcrab posted:

There's a manga called Gon, about a little yellow dinosaur and his misadventures/rampages through nature. No dialogue and no sound effects.

Is that the loving Tekken guy

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

There was this old, finished webcomic that was entirely dialog free, as a stylistic decision, but I can't remember the name of it. I remember liking it at the time though the exact memories are a little loose....
Opened with the main guy in some monster suit in a river trying to kill another monster, I think. Involved a snake implanting some snake power in a guy's head? There was this woman in it who always kept a bandage over HER forehead hiding a hole with something.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I used to do big no/almost no dialogue comics for events in deviantart clubs and they were still better than what mookie is producing which is such a low bar

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I think a dialogue-free comic works best either as an interlude in a longer story, or as a story involving characters who do not talk, either because they are animals, or aliens who the audience is not meant to be able to understand, or a character going through something alone, or something along those lines. It is limiting, because it forces the author/artist to work with showing emotional beats or action rather than explicitly telling the audience, but working within a tight framework sometimes lets you do something different. It's the same idea behind haiku, or a sonnet: the rules are strict so you have to really work your artistic muscles in order to make something good.

And it's very hard to keep that up for a long period of time unless your story is very narratively simple.

Mookie is attempting to tell a complex (not good, mind you, but complex) story with this limitation, with a plot that is probably impossible to communicate without dialogue, even for a good writer, so he's just having everybody write their dialogue down after saying it.

A story is shaped by the media you use to tell it. The rules of storytelling in a movie are different than a tv show, which are different from a novel, which are different from a video game. Mookie does not appear to understand this, and is using general comic rules without paying attention to the rules of a silent story. To continue my structured poetry comparison, he's trying to tell a novel in the form of haiku, but with footnotes between every few stanzas translating his metaphors. The result is... Bad. At best it's awkward and at worst it's incomprehensible. Even a really good writer would struggle with what he's trying to do, and he's not a good writer, so we get this disaster.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

rannum posted:

There was this old, finished webcomic that was entirely dialog free, as a stylistic decision, but I can't remember the name of it. I remember liking it at the time though the exact memories are a little loose....
Opened with the main guy in some monster suit in a river trying to kill another monster, I think. Involved a snake implanting some snake power in a guy's head? There was this woman in it who always kept a bandage over HER forehead hiding a hole with something.

I think that was Stupid Snake? The website is gone now unfortunately

e: still up on the wayback machine http://web.archive.org/web/20180115025413/http://www.iaviv.com/stupidsnake/

Van Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 17, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The manga Blame! has long stretches of the story with no dialogue at all. It's a master class in tone and atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Van Kraken posted:

I think that was Stupid Snake? The website is gone now unfortunately

e: still up on the wayback machine http://web.archive.org/web/20180115025413/http://www.iaviv.com/stupidsnake/

Just a few pages in, and I’ve already found one that seems… oddly pertinent