Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

https://twitter.com/TurboJehtt/status/1449499315970314242

Unpopular opinion: speedrunners are creating a new pro-communist sexual archetype and that's the real reason that girls don't like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

https://twitter.com/TurboJehtt/status/1449499315970314242

Unpopular opinion: speedrunners are creating a new pro-communist sexual archetype and that's the real reason that girls don't like me

This video is a much better way to read that post than reading that post:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1449634335166959618

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

I finally bought Disco Elysium. Do you recommend a blind play through the first time?

No, the game will be really hard to play without the visual component.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I avoided Disco Elysium mainly due to the fact I couldn't stand how the main character looked. Not a fan of drunks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

I finally bought Disco Elysium. Do you recommend a blind play through the first time?

If you have it on PC, sure.

If you have it on console 100% no, there is a mandatory stat check to progress very late game. It is supposed to be beatable if you have low stats because quite a few quests if you finish them feed into it to give you bonuses until eventually you collect enough at its a breeze to pass.

Eeeeexcept hidden from the player there are endings you can select to those quests that give you no credit whatsoever despite finishing the quest. You probably aren't me, but until I looked it up I had finished every single quest available to me up to that point incorrectly according to the games logic and had accidentally permanently locked myself out from an item that could also help stat boost me in that stat so I was staring at a "reload this until you get lucky and pass a 3% chance".

This took Disco Elysium from "really good adventure game" to "bad game"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How does that change from Console to PC? Was it a bug in console that's not been patched, or is it more about hitting quickload is quicker on a PC?

edit: vv ouch.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 18, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

How does that change from Console to PC? Was it a bug in console that's not been patched, or is it more about hitting quickload is quicker on a PC?

You can cheat on PC to just pass that check

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Im considering buying the game but isn't it like fetch quest, the game, but with passable writing?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's currently the highest rated pc game in history on metacritic fwiw

It is very good, but be aware its slow and there is lots of writing so don't play it if those things bother you. I wouldn't call it fetch quest the game, no but it might not be your jam. I promise all the goons who like it aren't lying about it to trick you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

satanic splash-back posted:

Im considering buying the game but isn't it like fetch quest, the game

Not really, no. I mean I guess when you think about it most rpgs can be described as "fetch quest, the game", but no.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its easily the funniest game I've ever played, too. It made me laugh pretty hard a bunch of times and chuckle pretty often.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

Im considering buying the game but isn't it like fetch quest, the game, but with passable writing?

It is a visual novel with some poorly placed load screens and distances to talk to some characters. If the idea of "a visual novel where the primary narrative commentary voice is chosen by the player" appeals, its a solid choice. Its not as free form as people will imply and the game will make you indulge in the madness at different junctures which can be against how you want to be playing.

If not for the mandatory check I mentioned before its a solid 8/10 visual novel, 9/10 if you really jive with the writing. With that check its a 6 at best

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hector Delgado posted:

I avoided Disco Elysium mainly due to the fact I couldn't stand how the main character looked. Not a fan of drunks.

You don't have to drink or use drugs in the game at all. You can make it about finding a path back to sobriety.

Really, you aren't ever drunk unless you want to be. The game starts with you waking up from drinking, but you aren't drunk.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You can make him dress better and stop drinking, but you need to grind some levels if you want to get rid of The Expression

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well, for a given value of 'better'. Also, so much worse.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

tight aspirations posted:

I think Ghost of Tsushima did that, but I’ve not played it. Did RoTT do it? I dimly remember enemies surrendering and sometimes then shooting you, as a decoy.

Ghost of Tsushima definitely did that, it tracked with your level. It was a nice bit of realism... See a samurai slice five of your friends in half in under thirty seconds and nope right the gently caress out of there.

Edit for my controversial opinion: it's ok to enjoy Video games.

Clowner fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 18, 2021

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

would it be a controversial statement to say that gaming is probably the best it's ever been?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

would it be a controversial statement to say that gaming is probably the best it's ever been?

It's certainly improved a lot. Entire genres that were discarded by publishers have come back from the dead, it seems like. Still a ways to go to recover from the damage of the HD era though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lmao Disco Elysium faceplants at the very end.

Whatever, Kim got his photo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

It probably is but it also feels like too much of a good thing sometimes.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Imo multiplayer gaming is actually in one of the worst places I can remember

* No good battlefield
* They did a good CoD and then deprecated it
* No good battle royal
* No popular competitive RTS
* The less said about WoW the better

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mr Interweb posted:

Yes. It was better before. It's in a bit of a lull right now. Growing pains and all that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

abigserve posted:

* No good battlefield
* No good battle royal

Actually yeah that's true. multiplayer gaming is a dumpster fire atm. I feel like people forgot they were supposed to be fun and now it's a bunch of people who think it's some serious lifestyle thing and now everything sucks.

I'm pretty curious about BF2042 and hoping the final game is better than the beta but for the most part I think I am done with PVP games in general even though I love them. PVP gaming has just gotten weird and serious and not fun and I'm over it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mr Interweb posted:

No, it's booming and there's more good games than you can shake a stick at. But at the same time it now attracts investors so be prepared to see more exploitation of basically everything.

Also there are... gamers

Vic fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 18, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

abigserve posted:

* No good battlefield
* No good battle royal

There is always dota

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

abigserve posted:

* No good battlefield
* No good battle royal

Agreed on all points, tho as far as MMOs are concerned FF XIV is fun to play and has eclipsed WoW in all aspects. Which is really wild thing to have seen happen, when you remember how XIV started out.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I tried ff14 after hearing endless praise and its poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hector Delgado posted:

Lmao, just loving lmao

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Dota however.... :confused:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Lmao, just loving lmao

Calm down, the game's good, not "worth reliving scarring traumatic episodes in someone's life" good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

Dota however.... :confused:

Higher highs and lower lows than any other game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There are 3 categories or people that hate dota - people who havn't ever played it, people who have and enjoyed it but don't want to miss out on playing a range of games and "console gamers"

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i couldn't believe how boring it was

like 10 hours in wondering 'is this seriously the game?'

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There are 3 categories or people that hate dota - people who havn't ever played it, people who have and enjoyed it but don't want to miss out on playing a range of games and "console gamers"

I'm 2 of those categories

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

roomtone posted:

I didn't find it especially boring but the entire time i was just thinking "yeah but world of warcraft does this better and with more charm".

Wow had it right - oh you want to play an MMO? hit stuff and level up. Ff14 tried to put an endearing anime storyline on top and just no

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

roomtone posted:

The good stuff starts happening 40 hours in :rolleyes:

Yeah no story's worth the MMO thing for me. I also dislike the game's look.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

I'm 2 of those categories

oh god i would never fault a console gamer for disliking dota, i think the general layout of MOBA style game is a hard ask - a lot of people just don't want to play a game through that control method - never mind asking a console gamer to think about more than 4 buttons

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ff14 is both an mmo and a jrpg so of course it's going to be asking for a lot of your time but the music owns so at least it's a chill place to hang out while you're waiting for something to happen.

The gameplay is pretty fun when you're finally allowed to play it too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

With a MMO you gotta take all praise given with a significant asterisk of 'For a MMO' because they appeal to a particular kind of brainworms

Personally, City of Heroes still ruined all other MMOs for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

DOTA would be perfectly playable on a gamepad what are you talking about. It's on a loving 2d plane man.

Also DOTA and other team based games are bad because it requires teamplay. It's "highs" are "everybody played the game as they should" and lows are "everyone had sex with your mother and now refuse to play the game"

These games are like a daily commute. Nobody cuts you off and your day's not ruined. Yay.