Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I hope you get to bond with NPCs over booze like you do in Sekiro. That was such a fun way to get backstory out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Nuns with Guns posted:

I hope you get to bond with NPCs over booze like you do in Sekiro. That was such a fun way to get backstory out of them.

the mechanic where you could eavesdrop on them was so perfect, i hope it returns

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Not gonna lie, i hope for an eventual unlockable grappling hook but I don't know if it has a place outside of Sekiro :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Concurred posted:

Not gonna lie, i hope for an eventual unlockable grappling hook but I don't know if it has a place outside of Sekiro :(

I'm interested to see what the stealth mechanics amount to. If it's just creep through grass etc I'll be a bit disappointed, but if they implement some spells/tools that assist it might be really cool.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

JBP posted:

I'm interested to see what the stealth mechanics amount to. If it's just creep through grass etc I'll be a bit disappointed, but if they implement some spells/tools that assist it might be really cool.

There's definitely at least one thing like that, specifically sleep darts.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

i'm glad they've put music in because i've always wanted to hear a non-boss dark souls soundtrack. i hope it's not purely bland horns and strings but i'm kind of expecting that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

skasion posted:

If TES 6 isn’t based on Souls combat then what are they even doing

The elder scrolls having souls combat isnt going to sell gamepass subscriptions

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
TES6 is going to have bad controls.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Stealth in DS3 was already insanely overpowered with completely breaking enemy AI and 1hko backstabs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JBP posted:

TES6 is going to have bad controls.

Bet it takes place in some area that's really cool and interesting in the lore but Todd decrees must look like generic European fantasy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao gently caress the elder scrolls 5 skyrim came out 2 months after dark souls

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
The clip with the objective compass and the bit about raiding bandit camps for loot has me worried this will be a huge letdown. Of course it's also possible From finds whatever Ubi et al have been looking for in the open world poo poo pile all these years and blows us all away.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Item Getter posted:

Did the other games have any options to turn off HUD elements?

Yes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Phobophilia posted:

lmao gently caress the elder scrolls 5 skyrim came out 2 months after dark souls

and the series still hasn't caught up to DS1

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

and the series still hasn't caught up to DS1

Hard to catch up when you don’t do anything tbf

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Xenolalia posted:

the mechanic where you could eavesdrop on them was so perfect, i hope it returns

except for how hard it was to discover for dumb people...I beat the game twice before realizing you could do it (to friendly characters), and even then only because I read how to get other endings

heck, I'll probably miss 80% of elden ring by playing blind, oh well!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Xenolalia posted:

Being able to snoop on people was great, too. That feels like a particular "ninja" thing, but it would be awesome if that was there. Not only for the NPCs but it was a clever diagetic way to leave clues to upcoming boss weaknesses and facts scattered around when you snuck up on enemies idling.

roomtone posted:

i'm glad they've put music in because i've always wanted to hear a non-boss dark souls soundtrack. i hope it's not purely bland horns and strings but i'm kind of expecting that.

Sekiro also has background themes in each area. There's the normal one and the combat theme, as a way of signaling if enemies have spotted you or not. They're all great, but here's a couple examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfSm1XgeFgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E1dCgFPGUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vcP8v8pawc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2zS86kNCO8

Sekiro's music uses more traditional Japanese instruments, but it does a great job of keeping things low key while conveying a great tense mood. I'm sure we'll still get moments of overblown choral wailing and brass in boss fights but their composers know how to do background themes.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

cool av posted:

except for how hard it was to discover for dumb people...I beat the game twice before realizing you could do it (to friendly characters), and even then only because I read how to get other endings

heck, I'll probably miss 80% of elden ring by playing blind, oh well!

I found the hole in the back of the hub temple and figured you could eavesdrop on the sculptor. So went back there every now and then but never got the prompt to do it because I didn't realize you had to hug the wall first. Not until I read about it at least.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I hope Yui Tanimura is involved because the DS2 DLCs are the best Souls content and this seems more in the DS2 vibe than anything to me (which is good).

My one hope is that combat is at least as demanding as Sekiro but it seems like they're trying to make it slightly more forgiving.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That jump. Doesn't look right.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
The jump looked okay? I get that it's not the best animation ever created and watching it won't give you orgasmic joy. But it looked snappy and responsive, which is what you'd want in a Souls game. :shrug:

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Let's hope. But snap and response can't be gauged without inputs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

getting such huge shadow of the colossus vibes from everything in elden ring

will miyazaki and co be the first studio to make a horse as good as agro?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

honestly from the small amount of available stuff i've read about it so far it sounds like from's specifically trying to make their own breath of the wild to me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

honestly from the small amount of available stuff i've read about it so far it sounds like from's specifically trying to make their own breath of the wild to me

yeah but breath of the wild just rips off shadow of the colossus and shadow of the colossus just rips off old zelda games

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
BotW with the Fromsoft approach sounds like the perfect game to me

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I kind of get the impression that even though Elden Ring is open world it's going to be on a smaller scale than games like BoTW or RDR2 etc. A lot of the screenshots you can see in the background other areas that we have seen already so while it looks like a much bigger and more interconnected world than any previous Dark Souls game its probably won't be ginormous. Which isn't a bad thing, after all a lot of open world games have a lot of nothing to traverse through.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know what I'm going to miss now that Dark Souls 4 has a jump button? Lots of obscure little shortcuts and jumps off weird bits of level geometry will effectively be telegraphed. Like the spiral stairs jump on the path to O&S, or the tree jump to the roof of Firelink, or the jump onto the roof of the Corvian settlement. Or that jump near the first Adjudicator in Ringed City.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Bypass fighting the 4 lords in DS2 by just jumping over the pile of rubble next to the shrine of winter

the future is now

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
well it's delayed but only a month so that's probably fine

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1450100145689927683?s=20

edit also they are doing a beta?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsdnC3i0IPA

https://eldenring.com/cnt

edgar_ fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 18, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

consoles only boo

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Registered for PS5. I'm sure the pool for that console version is smaller so there's a better chance to get in. :getin:

I'll laugh if I, a casual enjoyer of From games, gets in and extreme souls fanboys don't.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Ok so the beta is console only, but the game is coming out on PC right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mesadoram posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1245620/ELDEN_RING/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No delay is acceptable.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

The netwerk test betas for previous From games were also console only.

A new screenshot I think? The pattern on the caster's staff looks neat.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Groovelord Neato posted:

No, delay! is acceptable.

Not an emptyquote

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I guess at this point if a game isn't delayed its exceptional.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Stop announcing release dates more than 1 day ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
They need more time to reuse more animations from their PS3 game