Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Lol are Tasha and Worf just there to be shat upon in an endless series of “violence is never the right choice” scenarios?
You got it in one!
But also to show "this enemy is powerful" because if they beat Tasha or Worf, they're powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The captain gets advice from everyone then decides

Them showing Picard reject the most violent option over and over was good, even if it made worf seem like a doof

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Oh, no, Riker has been turned into a God. Will be very disappointed if he does not become a giant floating head biting down on the Enterprise.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
loving lol at Geordi immediately creeping on Tasha as soon as he gets his sight back.

Edit: hahahaahah “Worf, is this your idea of sex?” “This is sex!”

Edit 2: what the gently caress, how did Q “lose” the bet, Riker absolutely went power crazy.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 18, 2021

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Evergreen comic.

Also

a pipe smoking dog posted:

There's a lot of questions like this. Like why did that one alien in conondrum go to the trouble of brainwashing the enterprise so they would blow up the enemy aliens, instead of just trading his brain washing technology to the ferengi for some WMDs?

The aliens in that episode were pretty primitive/weak compared to the Federation. It could be their tiny civilization was completely surrounded by the Federation and their warp 2 or whatever ships would take decades to reach Ferengi or Klingon space so they had to make do with who was nearby.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Oh, no, Riker has been turned into a God. Will be very disappointed if he does not become a giant floating head biting down on the Enterprise.

hah

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

The_Doctor posted:

Why would his memories be from this 3rd person perspective?

I brought this up as a pet hate in a thread about stuff in movies, and a few people jumped in to say this is a normal thing that people report. I've never had a third-person memory, but apparently it's a thing? Makes no sense to me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gromit posted:

I brought this up as a pet hate in a thread about stuff in movies, and a few people jumped in to say this is a normal thing that people report. I've never had a third-person memory, but apparently it's a thing? Makes no sense to me.

Certainly not the ones saved in his implant

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gromit posted:

storytelling isnt about literal representation all of the time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
LD finale was perfect. 6 or 7 (12 or 14 if they're all baby seasons like this) more seasons of this please and it'll be my favourite Trek series for sure.

Axe-man posted:

This is better than discovery which has 1 unlikable character and the rest just background characters saying rhubarb over and over to prevent them from being paid speaking actor rates

For all of Michael Burnham's faults and the various different characters she plays, I still think I like her. Noble Space Pirate was my favourite character for her, she didn't get to play it long enough really, but they still found ways to work it in once she picked up other roles. Presumably as captain she can order herself on dashing space rogue adventures whenever she wants so we'll still see that burnham again.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hmm... Sometimes when I recall events I will "place" myself in the scene where I would be, but I don't imagine my face or anything, I imagine my presence

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I feel like it's a reference to The Menagerie which incorporated clips from the pilot as security footage with scenes and angles it had no reason to include as such

or it just reminded me that least

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gnome de plume posted:

I feel like it's a reference to The Menagerie which incorporated clips from the pilot as security footage with scenes and angles it had no reason to include as such

or it just reminded me that least

It definitely has that energy

I hadn't thought of that and I'm not sure it's an intentional reference but lol all the same

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Khanstant posted:

For all of Michael Burnham's faults and the various different characters she plays, I still think I like her. Noble Space Pirate was my favourite character for her, she didn't get to play it long enough really, but they still found ways to work it in once she picked up other roles. Presumably as captain she can order herself on dashing space rogue adventures whenever she wants so we'll still see that burnham again.

Martin-Green is fairly fun to watch. The character writing is all over the shop and can’t be taken seriously but she doesn’t write the part. She can be kind of camp (this is a good thing imo). She looks good and is not what I would consider one of the show’s problems. They should find better stuff for Burnham to do so she can act it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Martin-Green is fairly fun to watch. The character writing is all over the shop and can’t be taken seriously but she doesn’t write the part. She can be kind of camp (this is a good thing imo). She looks good and is not what I would consider one of the show’s problems. They should find better stuff for Burnham to do so she can act it.

💯

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
She’s extremely funny. Give Burnham more comedy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HD DAD posted:

She’s extremely funny. Give Burnham more comedy.

That scene where she was on space drugs? That poo poo should be happening to her constantly, end-to-end, just every mind-altering behavior-modifying chemical and device the universe has to offer

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Brawnfire posted:

That scene where she was on space drugs? That poo poo should be happening to her constantly, end-to-end, just every mind-altering behavior-modifying chemical and device the universe has to offer

The rest of the season didn't happen, it was all in her head and she's still tripping

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Shyrka posted:

Evergreen comic.

Also

The aliens in that episode were pretty primitive/weak compared to the Federation. It could be their tiny civilization was completely surrounded by the Federation and their warp 2 or whatever ships would take decades to reach Ferengi or Klingon space so they had to make do with who was nearby.

Wonder how they handle situations where a species is inside Federation space but doesn't want to join. Would they also leave star systems around that planet empty so they have somewhere to expand to or is it just well ok enjoy being lonely in your one star system.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

Wonder how they handle situations where a species is inside Federation space but doesn't want to join. Would they also leave star systems around that planet empty so they have somewhere to expand to or is it just well ok enjoy being lonely in your one star system.

You have to apply for a galactic easement and right of way

It's a huge pain in the rear end

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

skasion posted:

The actress is fine. Can sell.emotion even if she cries a bit more than normal shows I can see the emotion. So she is fine but the character development just does not exist. There is no tension or ever worry. Discovery in danger is completely negated by her being on board. She isn't a Mary sue but god help me if I do not feel interested in her as a character. I genuinely just kinda dislike her and she comes off as kind of a prick and know it all with the added disadvantage of always being right on top of it.

Like her being demoted really made me hope they would do something to change that but then to promote her for the SAME REASON SHE WAS DEMOTED. I just threw up my hands and said I was done with it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I pretty much gave up on season three when they demoted her, since they were basically repeating the exact same storyline they'd done before and it was inevitable she'd be back up by the end of the season.

Martin-Green is fine, and yeah we see a lot of her emoting hard but that's just because the writing/directing tries to go for unearned emotion every second scene. She does it well, it just doesn't sell that great because of the amount the show abuses it. If she had decent arcs and buildup to the emotive scenes everyone would be praising her. (Well, not everyone, there's an unfortunate subset of the Trek fanbase that would never like her no matter what.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 18, 2021

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
the biggest problem with Discovery is that the writers either can't or won't write ensemble plots, everything is in service to this season's big mystery and how Burnham solves them so we see very little of the rest of the crew except when they are either directly standing in Burnham's way or there to carry her luggage

the strongest parts of Season 3 are the first couple episodes where she has to work with Book to survive and get her bearings, where she's out of her element and the stakes are much more immediate and she is in actual real danger she can't logic or punch away

and then of course we skip ahead a year to return to the Disco bridge status quo

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 18, 2021

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yes, you actually could root for her and her not being the smartest kid in the room helped. But they only had that last 3 episodes before they make her the future whisperer of the discovery.

I am still kinda pissed that she would think her 1000 year old math would be worth a drat when in comparison we would be using fractions and abacus the rest would be Greek secret societies to the various mathematical formula.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Quinton posted:

Related: Venture Bros features an episode (Escape to the House of Mummies Part II) that is a Part II for a Part I that does not exist.

I adored watching that premiere the first time on cable because my girlfriend and I were so confused at having missed an episode. And everything escalates so absurdly that it feels like there might have been convoluted part 1 to that episode that Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer never fully fleshed out but sorta kinda makes sense.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

punishedkissinger posted:

storytelling isnt about literal representation all of the time.

What I'm saying is that people claim this IS a literal representation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Brawnfire posted:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A.o.D. posted:

At one point Patrick Stewart was voted sexiest man alive while he was in TNG.

There are many who still think so

https://youtu.be/i_iIUP5vUg4

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah I mean if you are casting a dude who complies with Gene's dream of still being sexy well into his 70s, then Patrick Stewart was a good shout.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
She's a good actress acting bad scripts. It isn't her fault that half the episodes call for a well performed tearful monologue.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah there's nothing wrong with chewing the scenery if that's what the showrunner wants you to do. 'We need you to emote like crazy to distract everyone from how terrible the writing is'.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Burnham is a fun enough character when she's allowed to actually be enthusiastic about things. There were a couple of times when she was actually allowed to do regular Trek things like investigating some weird new phenomenon or making first contact where a much more enjoyable aspect of her character came through. But the show has her dialed in on "tortured but resolute" about 95% of the time, so you hardly ever get that.

That said, I will go to bat for the secondary characters on Discovery, even if they're criminally underused. Stamets going dadmode while bonding with Adira was :3: as all hell.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah I don't think anyone in this thread is suggesting that Sonequa Martin-Green is a bad actor. Especially in the earlier seasons, I thought her portrayal of a character who is biologically human but culturally Vulcan was really cool.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DISCO has a good cast and pretty good characters that are being let down by the writing and pacing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

Yeah there's nothing wrong with chewing the scenery if that's what the showrunner wants you to do. 'We need you to emote like crazy to distract everyone from how terrible the writing is'.

We need more neck-tilting to convey drama, Sonia! I SAID MORE DRAMATIC NECK-TILT SHOTS!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

DISCO has a good cast and pretty good characters that are being let down by the writing and pacing.

Yeah every time I've tried to watch disco I definitely feel like there is the potential of a good show, but it's not enough to get me through.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The best episode of Disco S3 is the one in which Michael is in it for 10 seconds at the end. When they were forced to write a story that didn't have her in it suddenly they got good.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I feel like Micheal is a stand in for a group of writers or producer in the show. Cause the writers minus Micheal can make an intwresting tech show. The thing is Micheal is that annoying creepy uncle that involves herself in every thing around her even if it is not her wheelhouse or business.

Then she figures it out for the person it is obvious it is the wheelhouse or business and recontextualizes as now part of her story.

The trill storyline is a perfect rep. Should have been another actors to shine.

Not be Micheal mind melding with all symbiotes and then convincing them to do what they character could have easily done themselves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Axe-man posted:

I feel like Micheal is a stand in for a group of writers or producer in the show. Cause the writers minus Micheal can make an intwresting tech show. The thing is Micheal is that annoying creepy uncle that involves herself in every thing around her even if it is not her wheelhouse or business.

Then she figures it out for the person it is obvious it is the wheelhouse or business and recontextualizes as now part of her story.

The trill storyline is a perfect rep. Should have been another actors to shine.

Not be Micheal mind melding with all symbiotes and then convincing them to do what they character could have easily done themselves.

In a "proper" Trek series, going down to Trill would've been a Stamets-centric episode to build on the whole family subplot and because he's the only one with anything remotely in the realm of symbiotic head-trip stuff due to the spore drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Discovery definitely feels like it's got the anchor of "MUST BE PRESTIGE TV" dragging it down. When it doesn't take itself seriously or is lighthearted it feels much better.

I'm not sure I'd ever be a fan, but when it's funny and light I don't hate it. When it's ~~FORCED DRAMA AND HIGH STAKES~~ it feels very put-on.

That's articulated horribly but I'm not sure I can explain it any better. I can't really tell you what forced drama is vs just properly written drama but it's a gut feeling.