Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah destiny 2 kind of has this extremely hostile new player onboarding experience right now given that the content available is absurdly disjointed and you're basically dropped in right in the middle of literally everything i guess

it sounds maddening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There’s an incredibly obvious starter quest line that I posted about 3 posts back that handholds you through everything

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Thatcher's Techbase reminded me that I like FPS games after not having played any in... ten, twelve years? And so I decided to pick up Amid Evil since it seemed to be what I wanted.

I've been pretty pleased so far. It's drat gorgeous for how "retro" it is, and Serious Sam by way of Lisa Frank is a solid vibe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dusk switch release so so soon

No more delays I beg :pray:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dusk switch release so so soon

No more delays I beg :pray:

Got mine preordered. Dusk with gyro aiming sounds kick rear end.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

E3M1 of Rekkr is wild. It starts with a fist fight against former humans coming out of the darkness, and then you have to wander around the level with no map and figure out how to leave. The next level had a map, but its cramped, and I still haven't found my shotgun.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
i don’t think our American posters (and foreign friend posters) in this thread remember exactly how hosed up culture was in the decade after 9/11

a significant fraction of the video game age cohort was actively in a war zone playing games that were effectively a recreation of the war zone they had been on or were presently in

24 was a popular show on television

everyone wanted to Go Tactical and the success of CS and the action oriented version was CoD and presented a specific big bad just as the US was spec-opsing around trying to kill bin Laden when they weren’t blowing up weddings and invading countries of tenuous or no relationship to 9/11

if you want to make the argument that the failure of arena based action multiplayer is at the hands of an acutely diseased society you wouldn’t find much argument from this corner

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
note that the prior post seems to imply that I, Tim Thomas/andrea dworkin for the weekend, think that culture is no longer diseased, and to that I say, lol

Lmao

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

9/11 probably hosed up fps games the same way it hosed up country music

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
A little late with posting this, but HG101 has been publishing articles on the Doom games. Last two articles posted were on the cancelled Doom 4 and the Doom RPGs for mobile devices.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there any way to play the Doom RPG games without having old iPhones? I see they’re still on the App Store but haven’t been updated for 64bit, which is a real shame.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there any way to play the Doom RPG games without having old iPhones? I see they’re still on the App Store but haven’t been updated for 64bit, which is a real shame.

The best way seems to be to grab a dump of the original Java versions and then use a phone emulator.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's a J2ME core in retroarch these days, you can run the featurephone version that way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Doom RPGs are 100% worth it, I am the Doom RPG fanatic

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
In other Doom news, an enhanced version of Doom for the 32X has been released:

https://twitter.com/vluchitz/status/1449736425566621709

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/

Looks like a lot of improvements. If I still had my 32X set up I'd try it out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Barudak posted:

The Doom RPGs are 100% worth it, I am the Doom RPG fanatic

I played it on iOS way back when it first came out there. I enjoyed it too. They really need to update it and Wolf RPG.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They do but they won’t. I loved the DOOM RPGs. Super buggy on iOS from what I remember though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I played the Wolfenstein RPG back in the day on my actual phone but my carrier didn't have the Doom ones. I've always wanted to play it but that last time I looked (albeit years ago) there wasn't a good way to play it emulated. Since that has changed I'll have to have a go at it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

John Carmack would have them updated in a weekend single handedly if Microsoft let him.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I finally finished Hexen's xpac - Deathkings of the Dark Citadel!

- Hot diggity drat it's a fair jump in difficulty, don't gently caress about
- I played Hexen + DoDC in one big playthrough, this time as a Cleric. It is 10000% more fun than playing as a Fighter (I only did Fighter for Hexen). I cannot imagine the misery and pain as playing Fighter in DoDC.
- The maps aren't as "explore-y" as Hexen; while there's certainly lots of "find x switch to unlock y door on z map", it's a little easier here.
- That said, it's set off by rear end in a top hat enemies and mean map makers. (in a good way, they're not being ultra-dicks for no reason)
- Alas, no real story.

I gave Hexen 2.5/5 stars, but after playing as a caster, it really is a completely different game. gently caress melee.
3.5/5 stars, make sure you play DoDC as well. I thought it would be some cheap, nasty 3rd party xpac - but it was surprisingly fun!

Next up - Hexen II

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I cannot imagine the misery and pain as playing Fighter in DoDC.

I recall punching lots of ettins and serpents before giving up

edit: so you're saying it's not as terrible as a mage? hmm

Convex fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 18, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I finally finished Hexen's xpac - Deathkings of the Dark Citadel!

- Hot diggity drat it's a fair jump in difficulty, don't gently caress about
- I played Hexen + DoDC in one big playthrough, this time as a Cleric. It is 10000% more fun than playing as a Fighter (I only did Fighter for Hexen). I cannot imagine the misery and pain as playing Fighter in DoDC.
- The maps aren't as "explore-y" as Hexen; while there's certainly lots of "find x switch to unlock y door on z map", it's a little easier here.
- That said, it's set off by rear end in a top hat enemies and mean map makers. (in a good way, they're not being ultra-dicks for no reason)
- Alas, no real story.

I gave Hexen 2.5/5 stars, but after playing as a caster, it really is a completely different game. gently caress melee.
3.5/5 stars, make sure you play DoDC as well. I thought it would be some cheap, nasty 3rd party xpac - but it was surprisingly fun!

Next up - Hexen II

You must find 15 more switches veggie ousting this review.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Next up - Hexen II

Have fun with the floor switch puzzle when you get to the Egyptian chapter.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I used to sneak away into a storage room at the YMCA to play the Doom RPG on my Motorola V195 when I was supposed to be exercising pre-wildfire deployment. Then I got my rear end absolutely wrecked when I showed up to the field station and was forced to run 6 miles every morning. Worth it, Doom RPG was sick. I can still taste the joy I felt watching credits roll while sitting on a pile of yoga pads in that dark closet. I have the sequel and the Wolfenstein RPG on my phone but it just isn't the same without real buttons to push.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Next up - Hexen II

If you manage to find a windows build of a source port that uses SDL2 please let me know, SDL12 causes this awful variable mouse sensitivity that I just can't abide and the only builds of uHeXen2 using SDL2 I was able to find were linux specific, or at least I couldn't figure out how to compile them because i am dumb, e.g. https://github.com/jpernst/uhexen2-sdl2

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

it's insane bullshit but i finally figured it out. hugely looking forward to seeing someone else run into it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wrath for only 6€ on EGS, if you get their coupon by subscribing to their email thingie

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hexen 2 is leagues better than 1. if hexen is a 2.5/5 (and i don't disagree) i'd give hexen 2 a 4/5. make sure you find the expansion too

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Halo 4 was kind of OK for a game I played for free, but I'm def glad I didn't pay for it when I was buying the other ones.

The positives:
+It's got a mech, mechs are cool
+It's the first(right?) time you actually get to fly a Pelican, even if the actual mission is a pale imitation of that Reach one with a similar structure
+Promethean Knight's death animation is cool looking
+It was probably really impressive looking for a 360 game
+The story is about a woman being bad at her job

Everything else:
-It's creatively bankrupt. The end of Halo 3 teases limitless possibilities but then lol it's UNSC v. Covvies again
-Halo levels are at their best when they're big, chaotic, sci-fi warzones with enemies and allies hopping into vehicles and bashing into rocks. There is practically none of this. Otherwise, Halo is all about its combat arenas, and the combat arenas in H4 are cramped and uninteresting and separated by far too many plodding corridor fights
-Wow, you weren't kidding about the Promethean weapons just being human ones with spinny bits. Ammo also seemed a little more restrictive for some reason?
-The new enemies were mostly a chore to fight against and there were hardly any new ones anyways. Every encounter was the same: kill the drone first and then deal with the rest. There's one section later on that's just those stupid dogs plinking at you from every direction that's just the worst. Strangely enough I thought the Knights themselves were the least annoying
-Did they slow you down again? I loaded up a Reach level and I'm pretty sure your base movement speed is considerably faster in that
-You are teh chosen one
-The last level reminded me of Halo 1 in terms of doing the same thing a bunch of times in barely different areas
-I'm sure its explained in great detail in some dogshit comic book or novelization but lmao that it is never explained ingame why the Covenant are suddenly baddies again and working with the Didact

Oh well, maybe Infinity's campaign will finally be good, c'mon 343.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, also I wrapped up the first Quake expansion, Armagon was such a pushover.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mordja posted:

-I'm sure its explained in great detail in some dogshit comic book or novelization but lmao that it is never explained ingame why the Covenant are suddenly baddies again and working with the Didact

Bingo. The base Halo games never paid much attention to the tie-in novels, which made some bits of Reach awkward for lore nerds but mostly it let both the games and the novels stick to their respective strengths, and after many years of this policy and of varying quality releases on both sides the two had diverged significantly. Halo 4 attempted to reconcile them into a single coherent narrative and, well, you saw the result

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

To be fair to 343, Reach had a pretty poo poo campaign too imo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SeANMcBAY posted:

To be fair to 343, Reach had a pretty poo poo campaign too imo.

:confused: Reach was easily my favourite.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Reach suffered like all Halo games from ending too late. I feel kinda weird when I never enjoyed Halo at all (Halo 1, 3, Reach and ODST the ones I played between PC and 360) but I liked Destiny's shooting part (not so much the grinding side tho).

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its pretty wild to go back and play Halo 1 and Modern Warfare and see a) all the great things they introduced to the genre and b) how the industry took exactly the wrong lessons from each and applied them as a "one size fits all" answer.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its pretty wild to go back and play Halo 1 and Modern Warfare and see a) all the great things they introduced to the genre and b) how the industry took exactly the wrong lessons from each and applied them as a "one size fits all" answer.

I'd also include Half-Life with these.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mordja posted:

Halo 4 was kind of OK for a game I played for free, but I'm def glad I didn't pay for it when I was buying the other ones.

The positives:
+It's got a mech, mechs are cool
+It's the first(right?) time you actually get to fly a Pelican, even if the actual mission is a pale imitation of that Reach one with a similar structure
+Promethean Knight's death animation is cool looking
+It was probably really impressive looking for a 360 game
+The story is about a woman being bad at her job

Everything else:
-It's creatively bankrupt. The end of Halo 3 teases limitless possibilities but then lol it's UNSC v. Covvies again
-Halo levels are at their best when they're big, chaotic, sci-fi warzones with enemies and allies hopping into vehicles and bashing into rocks. There is practically none of this. Otherwise, Halo is all about its combat arenas, and the combat arenas in H4 are cramped and uninteresting and separated by far too many plodding corridor fights
-Wow, you weren't kidding about the Promethean weapons just being human ones with spinny bits. Ammo also seemed a little more restrictive for some reason?
-The new enemies were mostly a chore to fight against and there were hardly any new ones anyways. Every encounter was the same: kill the drone first and then deal with the rest. There's one section later on that's just those stupid dogs plinking at you from every direction that's just the worst. Strangely enough I thought the Knights themselves were the least annoying
-Did they slow you down again? I loaded up a Reach level and I'm pretty sure your base movement speed is considerably faster in that
-You are teh chosen one
-The last level reminded me of Halo 1 in terms of doing the same thing a bunch of times in barely different areas

Oh well, maybe Infinity's campaign will finally be good, c'mon 343.

From my recollection the explanation is that the ones you fight in 4 are a splinter faction who broke off after Arbiter made peace with Humanity

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Mierenneuker posted:

I remember this breaking me as a child. I just cheated and skipped to the next level. Not this time!!

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

drrockso20 posted:

From my recollection the explanation is that the ones you fight in 4 are a splinter faction who broke off after Arbiter made peace with Humanity

That's pretty much it. They have a one-off line at the very start of the game, but they don't go into any detail at all making it feel as though you are missing a lot of details. Heck the Didact itself is a bigger mystery that just gets thrown at you and you're expected to just pretend you care.
Bungie made it a point of never relying on the books, or even contradicting them when it came to presenting the story in the games, and this and Halo5's Blue Team are very much why.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Reach suffered like all Halo games from ending too late. I feel kinda weird when I never enjoyed Halo at all (Halo 1, 3, Reach and ODST the ones I played between PC and 360) but I liked Destiny's shooting part (not so much the grinding side tho).

The end of Reach does come a little too late, but it's a hell of an ending and still the most memorable thing in a Bungie game to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Crowetron posted:

The end of Reach does come a little too late, but it's a hell of an ending and still the most memorable thing in a Bungie game to me.

It's only more memorable than Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap if we're not counting suppressed memories