Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

seiferguy posted:

It ain't gonna take that long to rebuild even with a missing 1st round pick.

Russ won't be a Hawk next season. There's a long road ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1449964689316724738?t=b0Kngbyo7B9yk7aeHDNUkQ&s=19

Man, I guess it was a lot worse than it looked.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Illegal Hen

Gonz posted:

Geno Smith would be the perfect Lions QB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08i9kvCJvJ0

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Manoueverable posted:

Russ is under contract and while I'm pretty sure he won't want to play for Seattle next year, he's still an asset that can be traded for picks. Focus on 2022 being a rebuild, grab some journeyman QB as a stopgap and draft a QB in 2023.

I'm not saying they'll get it right but because drafting a QB is a toss-up but it's a plan forward. It's basically what they did in 2011.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Manoueverable posted:

Murray running off another has been.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

The basic NFL offense in 1922 wouldn't look too far different from what Detroit ran in this video (in 1943). No T formation, just the old single wing (which got reborn as the Wildcat.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og5irky-J48

This is cool. especially when you put it at 1.25 speed

some hilarious QB mechanics in this vid

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

seiferguy posted:

Russ is under contract and while I'm pretty sure he won't want to play for Seattle next year, he's still an asset that can be traded for picks. Focus on 2022 being a rebuild, grab some journeyman QB as a stopgap and draft a QB in 2023.

I'm not saying they'll get it right but because drafting a QB is a toss-up but it's a plan forward. It's basically what they did in 2011.

You’ve also got to hire a new coach and GM at that point. Get any of those decisions wrong and you’re doing it all again in a few years.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
In what should shock no one the Browns are once again in last place in the AFCN despite preseason hype

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Illegal Hen

Ches Neckbeard posted:

In what should shock no one the Browns are once again in last place in the AFCN despite preseason hype

Wait that can't b-

(Checks AFCN standings)

:stare:

(Checks AFCW standings)

:catstare:

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

Wait that can't b-

(Checks AFCN standings)

:stare:

(Checks AFCW standings)

:catstare:

Oh. It’s right.

Yeeeeeeeah, SUCK IT BROWNIES! :getin:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I'm so glad it looks like he's gonna be ok taht was scary

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

5 of the top 10 picks in next year’s draft are currently held by the Eagles and Jets.

https://twitter.com/tankathon/status/1449949934938099715

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Darth Brooks posted:

The basic NFL offense in 1922 wouldn't look too far different from what Detroit ran in this video (in 1943). No T formation, just the old single wing (which got reborn as the Wildcat.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og5irky-J48

AndrewP posted:

Sammy Baugh was considered perhaps the premier passer of his day. Quarterbacking Detroit is Frank Sinkwich, who had won the Heisman and had been the first overall pick that year in the Draft. Sinkwich almost was one of the first players to don a metal facemask in college. He'd broken his jaw and was too valuable not to play. There's a photo or two with Sinkwich wearing a metal facemask on a leather helmet, but all the game photos I've seen show him with a massive bandage around his jaw and no front protection at all.

The hilarious thing for me is that nobody has the recognition or thought process to end a play. They'd rather run backwards 15 yards before giving up on a run and both Baugh and Sinkwich are flinging up desperation passes into all kinds of traffic instead of throwing it away or at a receiver's feet. Baugh's passes have a lot more zip and accuracy than Sinkwich's, which bails him out a few times.

1943's leaderboard is really something. This wasn't the cream of the crop because of the war, but the numbers are very much of their era. Sinkwich was 5th in passing yards, but led in returning punts*. Baugh was the best punter in the league.

* Sinkwich's return at about 17:15 was apparently the NFL long for the year.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

shirts and skins posted:

So playing well enough to have a chance to win and then blowing it disastrously at the critical moment...I guess this is Geno's whole "thing"?

It is. I'm a little biased as a WVU fan, so I don't think he's as bad as people treat him as being, but he has a knack of ending up in those situations. Even when the mistake isn't wholly his fault, it just seems like it's just natural that it happens when he's on the field.

He's a very unlucky dude who has neither the skill to overcome that luck nor the personal likability for people to overlook it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

AndrewP posted:

Which football were they using at the time? I vaguely remember some video where some modern QB was shown balls of the different eras, and the early ones were heavy and more rotund than they are these days. Did some searching and found the start of the supposed transition from the original round ball:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/how-did-the-pigskin-get-its-shape-63180450/

quote:

Well, it turns out that the football was never truly designed, it just sort of happened. According to Henry Duffield, a man who witnessed a game between Princeton and Rutgers in 1869, largely considered to be the first intercollegiate game:

“The ball was not an oval but was supposed to be completely round. It never was, though — it was too hard to blow up right. The game was stopped several times that day while the teams called for a little key from the sidelines. They used it to unlock the small nozzle which was tucked into the ball, and then took turns blowing it up. The last man generally got tired and they put it back in play somewhat lopsided.”

So according to that story, the football that bounces erratically all over a field and can fly through air in a perfect spiral is not, in fact, the product of high design. At least not initially. Rather, it’s the result of a leaky sphere and some lazy inflaters.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they should go back to the white football

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Belichick coached worse than Mike McCarthy lol

Or he's just checked out and is letting his Joe Dirt looking failson genetic mistake do whatever.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Alaois posted:

they should go back to the white football

Gruden account found

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Weebly posted:

Gruden account found

*Insert obnoxious joke about "inflated" football here*

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

dingo with a joint posted:

They're as beat up as the '18 and '19 Eagles, but you wouldn't know it from aforementioned piledriving. They've pulled W after W out of their feathered butts, but it can't be sustainable with all those injuries.

I mean I'd be as happy as Larry's even happier brother Clive if we got a Ravens vs Cardinals all-birb-all-the-time super bowl, but I think the Ravens have just taken too much HP damage to make it that far. Fuckin' hope I'm wrong though.

Yeah the Ravens match up great against the Chargers which is why you saw that. But really we have only had two dominant wins. And three were improbable comeback types. Eventually these games will come out as losses. But still a great effort for the Ravens to be where they are.

Like I said there's part of me that was sad watching the Chargers game because if we had Edwards/Dobbins we'd be right up there with Buffalo. Averett aside from the Colts game has been an excellent sub for Peters, who himself would have like 2-3 abysmal games per year.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Diva Cupcake posted:

5 of the top 10 picks in next year’s draft are currently held by the Eagles and Jets.

Ertz trade making even more sense now

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The Packers had an 82 yard punt yesterday

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Diva Cupcake posted:

It feels like Carson Wentz is playing well enough the last few weeks that the Eagles are getting a first for him

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

japtor posted:

Which football were they using at the time? I vaguely remember some video where some modern QB was shown balls of the different eras, and the early ones were heavy and more rotund than they are these days. Did some searching and found the start of the supposed transition from the original round ball:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/how-did-the-pigskin-get-its-shape-63180450/

So football really WAS soccer (sorry, football) but then lazy Americans happened so here we are.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/marlon_humphrey/status/1449885207390265344?t=eTFZJAPCLGneur-rLbpBEw&s=19

https://twitter.com/marlon_humphrey/status/1449888156480856066?t=4hBrTFIUb9LU6BFgahPzgQ&s=19

lol

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I finally got my younger brother to watch some games with me and he was asking why Geno Smith was a backup when he was doing okay and then well that happened.

Things he got to see as basically his first introduction to football:
-Big Ben being poo poo
-Geno Smith being shittier
-a man dead on the field
-a ball literally bouncing off the face of a man paid millions to catch handeggs
-the run has been established
-field goals (he loves field goals)
-time running out then somehow the seahawks get THREE seconds (we thought 2 at most lol)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there a list of remaining non-fraud teams on the league?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there a list of remaining non-fraud teams on the league?

Bills
Bengals
Cards
Tom Brady

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Mystic Stylez posted:

Bills
Bengals
Cards
Tom Brady
Bengals lost to the noted fraud Chicago Bears

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

hughesta posted:

Bengals lost to the noted fraud Chicago Bears

Are the Bears actually frauds though? Did anyone expect them to be good? Like the Jets and Texans are not frauds, for instance. We knew they were going to be poo poo.

I kind of imagined WFT and the Eagles to be about where they are. That sort of below average squad that could look like a slightly above average squad if things bounced their way more often.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Bills
Ravens
Bucs
Cards

Rams and Cowboys are a maybe at this point but if they stay healthy anything can happen.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm not ready to burry the Chiefs. All they need to do is make the playoffs in a 7 seed system then have Patrick Mahomes play like Patrick Mahomes 4 consecutive games. D can stay bottom of the league so long as they have one or two stops/turnovers.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Agreed. Saw a lot of Ravens fans rooting for the Chiefs to beat the Bills a few weeks ago. Fools. The Chiefs are always the enemy.

The rest of the AFC can sort its poo poo out but you can't invite them to the party

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I will say the Ravens going to Buffalo for the playoffs is kind of a nightmare scenario. Those north New York winds were a big part of the Bills divisional round win last season.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Quiet Feet posted:

Are the Bears actually frauds though? Did anyone expect them to be good? Like the Jets and Texans are not frauds, for instance. We knew they were going to be poo poo.

I kind of imagined WFT and the Eagles to be about where they are. That sort of below average squad that could look like a slightly above average squad if things bounced their way more often.

The Bears are who we thought they were

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I will say the Ravens going to Buffalo for the playoffs is kind of a nightmare scenario. Those north New York winds were a big part of the Bills divisional round win last season.

I think if that same thing happened this year we'd win. Look at the Denver game. In previous years we would have lost that in some dumb 17-7 but our passing scheme is actually NFL-caliber at the moment.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
3-4 here we come!

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1450129053898395652?s=20

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Packers seem as real as they always are too. Week 1 was definitely a fluke/Rodgers rust game. They're a legit NFCCG contender.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This seems less than ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

latinotwink1997 posted:

So football really WAS soccer (sorry, football) but then lazy Americans happened so here we are.

I think there's ba theory that "football" became the term to describe any sport played on foot with a ball in the he middle ages, resulting in a diverse and varied family of "football".