Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kevyn posted:

Yes. Putting Perfect Dark on the service would make the entire N64 app an M rated app. Kids with parental controls on their Switches wouldn’t even be able to open the app to play Kirby or whatever

Mister Facetious posted:

The esrb rates games submitted by a developer or publisher on an individual basis. A hosting service for games is not in itself a game that needs a rating.

That would be like rating the entire PSN store mature because of resident evil
:confused:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

Yes. Family plan is literally just a wink wink nudge that you can actually pay $10 a year if you have cool friends.

Crazy that all the people freaking out and whining about the price apparently don't have any.

I don't have any friends who play video games anymore. My brother in law does, and he has a Switch, but he doesn't use online ever. That's being an adult I guess.

Snake Maze posted:

Anyway, Dungeon Encounters is cool. Once you reach the floors in the mid 30s you get a couple of movement abilities that break the game wide open and let you start hopping around nonlinearly. It also does a great job making each biome feel distinct entirely through map design. The standout has been some impressively evocative ruins of a modern day city, communicated entirely through a biome name and the same grid-based map with no geometry as the rest of the game. Don't let that spoiler mislead you, it's still pure dungeon crawling with 0 story - but it's really cool dungeon crawling.

I don't think I'm the target audience for this game, but it does look interesting. Can you have just any monster in your party? How does that work? Is there a demo?

Spacebump posted:

The funny thing is Nintendo def could have gotten away with something like $25 a year for Nintendo Network (without VC) and sold old games for like $5, $8, and $10.

I think it's been mentioned but this sort of passive income is far more reliable. I never had disposable income in the age of the VC, but even now I still can get things on my 3DS and I don't really? I've bought a handful of games maybe totaling some 15 odd euro or so (quite a few GB games, nothing on the SNES as I have a mini). It's great for the consumer, as you can pick and choose, but here they just get 30 bucks extra for games you may not play.

I certainly haven't played every game on the NES/SNES list and you can argue that it's worth it for some of the big titles, but even then you only drop 8 bucks or so for a Super Metroid, LttP, or SMW, once for 24 euro, and here they've got annually. It's a fantastic business plan and far more lucrative than Virtual Console. I don't like it, but there's very little you can do about it. There's some games I'd love to see show up, which I may pay for, but at the moment I can wait.

Speaking of Online for NES/SNES/N64, there's no random match-making right? Like you need to get ahold of someone to play online with? I guess we have our discord, which I don't use very well because I'm out-of-touch, but Match-Making lobbies would get me to sign up as well, even if I'm just playing with random people, because as I said earlier, I don't have friends (aside from one in the UK) or are into this hobby.

otter posted:

Im lazy and didn't want to go back through 200 pages - does Skyward Sword get better than the initial segment before you go into the the cave and get the sword?
The dialogue is painful and the pace is slooow but the motion controls are abysmal. Tell me it gets better (and more responsive with the controls).

It does, but I also stopped at the 2nd Trial of the Sword and haven't gone back to it, mainly due to time, and being hooked on other games. I plan to get back to it hopefully during my next vacation (in one week!)

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I like the art and the multi level dungeon stuff.

I know lots of folks have played this game so much that it's like a whole thing for them but it's my first time seeing it so lay off okay jeezus

Nah, you're good. It's definitely the best 2D Zelda in my opinion. There's so much working for it and nothing against. Enjoy the ride.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think it's been mentioned but this sort of passive income is far more reliable. I never had disposable income in the age of the VC, but even now I still can get things on my 3DS and I don't really? I've bought a handful of games maybe totaling some 15 odd euro or so (quite a few GB games, nothing on the SNES as I have a mini). It's great for the consumer, as you can pick and choose, but here they just get 30 bucks extra for games you may not play.

This was literally one of the big problems with the Virtual Console, especially as some games were just never going to get bought outside of a very niche fanbase and stuff like Sin and Punishment getting new life (Nintendo keep trying to stack it up alongside all the big classic titles now, and rightfully so) was a real outlier. And that passive income, most likely, just goes right into a team adding more games over time as well as securing licensing. It's a nice little setup if so, because it just sustains itself instead of really hoping a lot of people want to buy at least one of the three mediocre SNES /Turbographx/Master System games they added in a mandatory-weekly release schedule.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it looks like the switch online version of Star Fox 64 is too dark, going by their video, famous emulation bug although i think muppen fixed it at laeast

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

gently caress you

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Unreal_One posted:

Jetpac and Donkey Kong arcade are great, what are you talking about. They're better than the actual game in DK64.

And you can buy one of those games on thee eShop right now so there's no need to play it ever again

I'm sure half these people can afford to drop $50 a year based off how much money they make on Youtube

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 18, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I never noticed this gimmick before the price announcement and I hate you all for pointing it out

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

"nintendo"? never heard of em

They make hanafuda cards, and some other stuff

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
They should go full disingenuous mode and use the family pricing to get mad about, i assume thats 100 dollars which at least sounds like a big amount of money

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Willo567 posted:

And you can buy one of those games on thee eShop right now so there's no need to play it ever again

I'm sure half these people can afford to drop $50 a year based off how much money they make on Youtube
oh i’m sure they will all subscribe, this is how they make their money

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Len posted:

I never noticed this gimmick before the price announcement and I hate you all for pointing it out

You have to work the Youtube algorithm in your favor by making stupid faces.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 18, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Video mashups are getting slow, I'm not the only one who's youtube searched a Metroid Dread video of Raven Beak with One Winged Angel

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Video mashups are getting slow, I'm not the only one who's youtube searched a Metroid Dread video of Raven Beak with One Winged Angel

Lol my kid was watching and the second that happened he shouted "One Winged Angel, I bet that's a reference!"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

stop posting

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

That seems like a lot of effort for a post with zero loving content in it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The United States posted:

That's the trick isn't it? The answer is no, it's not too expensive. And yet the inescapable truth is that the price increase is too high. It's a paradox.

no, Paradox is the studio that really DOES have insanely expensive DLC practices. we're talking about Nintendo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Nintendo Switch thread:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't think I'm the target audience for this game, but it does look interesting. Can you have just any monster in your party? How does that work? Is there a demo?

The party members are all premade (and in fact contain the literal only bit of story I’ve seen - each one has a short backstory you can read). You start off with about 8 people to choose from and have to find the others inside the dungeon. The majority of them are human but there’s a couple nonhumans (which mechanically just means they have gear restrictions - the robot can’t use magic but has some really powerful unique weapons only he can equip, for example). The cat’s the only one who can equip the cutlery set and eat the monsters, so clearly he’s the best party member.

There’s no demo, sadly.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

gently caress yes. I randomly woke up around 2 AM, decided that was as good a time as any to check around for SWOLED stock, and I managed to order one online from Target!

This’ll be a nice refresh from my launch model. Looking forward to that better battery life and a fresh pair of joycons.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Semper Nintendo

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

super nintendo chalmers

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I wanna play Kirby and the Forgotten Land NOW, not in 3-6 months. >:(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i woke up today and was like "i really want to see what you tubers think about the Nintendo pricing" thank you Twitter quote guy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i woke up today and was like "i really want to see what you tubers think about the Nintendo pricing"

Go back to sleep

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I wonder how long it's gonna take for extremerate to make aftermarket SWOLED backplates. I want to upgrade but my red box looks all SNESsy and I like it.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

People blame Facebook for a lot. But YouTube was really the biggest mistake on the internet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zurtilik posted:

People blame Facebook for a lot. But YouTube was really the biggest mistake on the internet.

lol no,, Twitter and fb are the worst sites on planet earth

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

YouTube is the host of all of this trash in the end.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I get on Facebook and I see my friend's dumb kids or whatever. I get on YouTube and I have to see this poo poo:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Click the dots and say “don’t show me this”

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

There's always more!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

I think YouTubes problems are a subset of "advertising ruins everything"

Everyone having to optimize for engagement/attention rather than quality

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i did white palace in hollow knight. It was cool but I think I'm one of those freaks who has issues holding a consistent direction on a stick or dpad because everything involving spike jumping got a million times easier when I used the joycon controls with the separate button for each direction

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What steps do I need to take to get all my saved data etc from my switch? I’m trading in my current model for an OLED and I wanna make sure the transition is as smooth as Nintendo will allow. I have Nintendo Online but don’t know what to do

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

man nurse posted:

gently caress yes. I randomly woke up around 2 AM, decided that was as good a time as any to check around for SWOLED stock, and I managed to order one online from Target!

This’ll be a nice refresh from my launch model. Looking forward to that better battery life and a fresh pair of joycons.

Same around 7am. Seems like they're a good bet along with a discord tracker for alerts.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i did white palace in hollow knight. It was cool but I think I'm one of those freaks who has issues holding a consistent direction on a stick or dpad because everything involving spike jumping got a million times easier when I used the joycon controls with the separate button for each direction

ALWAYS use digital controls for action games that don't require analog

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

b_d posted:

ALWAYS use digital controls for action games that don't require analog

i can barely pull it on a dpad lol. holding slight sideways pressure on the "down" arm of the dpad of the pro controller goes diagonal without even touching the sidways arms (you can tell if you hold down and then rock back and forth on it) . i think i just have lovely rear end thumbs

that said it wasn't that bad as far as platform challenge levels go. i think the only part which really hosed me was a part near the end where i completely misread what you were supposed to do and blew a life trying to jump through a narrow gap between a wall and blade, instead of the intended path

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 18, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Stux posted:

posting challenge: can you go one month without posting only youtube and twitter links and writing your own thoguhts down instead. if you manage it i will give you nothing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah it was this bit which got me. i kept trying to make the jump between the blade and the wall to the right, when you're supposed to go under the blades and dash/airjumping to a platform on the other side (more obvious when you stand on the lower platform)

actually that gap was handy later because you can use it to go back to that enemy and constantly hit it for soul/healing refills if you gently caress the next bit up too much (like i did a bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Welp, just one more week until we can finally stop complaining about the price and play N64 games on the Switch :toot: