Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Is today the day a 27" turbocharged M1 iMac with proper multiple external display support comes out so I can finally put my 3,1 out to pasture? Probably not!
Toes crossed, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Binary Badger posted:

Ok the latest tibdbit is that the new chips will be named "M1 Pro" or "M1 Max."

I kinda doubt they'd stick with M1X because they tend to use that last alphabet character for iOS devices..

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/17/m1-pro-and-m1-max-chip-names-app-log/

Apparently it could be both, which seems needlessly confusing so it must be true.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Original M1 will be renamed M1 Air

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Martytoof posted:

As if on cue my MBP's return key is acting up.

My wallet: :negative:

If it helps, you’re not the only one in that boat. My keyboard has multiple keys that have either gone out or are dead. I’ve been waiting for this day for quite awhile now.

My wallet however… :ohdear:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Crunchy Black posted:

Is today the day a 27" turbocharged M1 iMac with proper multiple external display support comes out so I can finally put my 3,1 out to pasture? Probably not!
Toes crossed, though...

Any 27” iMac would be appreciated.

Trying to do a hardware upgrade at work and this would decide the path that we go

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
big imacs won't be coming until next year

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

mediaphage posted:

big imacs won't be coming until next year

Is there any reason to this other than “rumors?” Like a lack of leaks or something?

It’s weird because in the past people would go “well that Mac has THIS intel chip, and the new one isn’t released yet, so there is no reason to upgrade the iMac because it wouldn’t be a significant upgrade”

Now Apple sort of has all that chip information kept private.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Initially I was excited about MBP refreshes, but now I'm excited about the drama in this thread. Am I the bad person?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Is there any reason to this other than “rumors?” Like a lack of leaks or something?

It’s weird because in the past people would go “well that Mac has THIS intel chip, and the new one isn’t released yet, so there is no reason to upgrade the iMac because it wouldn’t be a significant upgrade”

Now Apple sort of has all that chip information kept private.

there’s been no leaks or mentions of it at all, versus the fact that we even have the resolutions of the new macbooks out and about. there’s no way they’re not making the 27-inch bigger with a corresponding increase in resolution

like ok maybe somehow they’ve managed to keep a lid on this one product versus all the others but i don’t see it personally

imo they’ll release a 30-ish inch imac (pro?) in april or similar. maybe announce a new se at the same time.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I'd be surprised if they continue the iMac Pro line.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Penisaurus Sex posted:

i think it depends. if they’re stratifying non-pro/pro around their chip offerings, they’re not gonna put the base m1 in the big imac

even odds i’d say

it’s not like “iphone pro” makes any sense at all

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

agreed

if an Apple Silicon iMac Pro were to come out, it would be likelier that Apple name the large (27”/30”/whatever size it ends up being) iMac “iMac Pro” full-stop instead of there being two (Pro/non-Pro) models of that size

24” iMac, 27-32” iMac Pro

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
iMac Thicc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

if an Apple Silicon iMac Pro were to come out, it would be likelier that Apple name the large (27”/30”/whatever size it ends up being) iMac “iMac Pro” full-stop instead of there being two (Pro/non-Pro) models of that size

24” iMac, 27-32” iMac Pro

that was literally my conjecture yes

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I've heard lots of rumors about the new supposedly more compact Apple Silicon Mac Pro and exactly zippola regarding a new iMac Pro, I believe we may safely conclude that the iMac Pro is indeed dead.

The iMac Pro was only ever meant as a stopgap for people who wanted more power than an iMac but weren't willing to wait for Apple to crank out a new Pro or settle for the (cough) Trash Can Deluxe.

Making a new AS-based iMac Pro now would cannibalize potential compact AS Mac Pro sales, Apple wouldn't do that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Sorry if this question's been asked before, but around how long after new Macbooks are announced are they usually available for order on Amazon?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

I've heard lots of rumors about the new supposedly more compact Apple Silicon Mac Pro and exactly zippola regarding a new iMac Pro, I believe we may safely conclude that the iMac Pro is indeed dead.

The iMac Pro was only ever meant as a stopgap for people who wanted more power than an iMac but weren't willing to wait for Apple to crank out a new Pro or settle for the (cough) Trash Can Deluxe.

Making a new AS-based iMac Pro now would cannibalize potential compact AS Mac Pro sales, Apple wouldn't do that.

i don’t think that’s really that true. a new iteration of the imac pro with better apple silicon would just be the imac version of the macbook pro to the macbook air.

the new mac pro will easily have twice the performance. the first imac pro was because of apple being in a tight spot between intel and developing new workstations. the new one would just be a more powerful imac

trying to suggest they don’t reuse or change branding based on previous product offerings is funny

i’m not suggesting i know this is what’s happening, just that all the reasoning against it is pretty poor simply by looking at their recent trends in product marketing

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
We're in a brave new world w/r/t apple silicon. We figured the xServe was the end of rackmount yet here we are. I'd pay a 1k premium for fast-Mac guts in an iMac form factor, and I think a lot of people would. Whether Apple thinks a 32/64/128c version of the M1 is ready to go, OS optimized, and useful, well...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing about the iMac Pro is that the 2017 one was there to fill a gap in the pro desktop space left by the stagnation of the Trash Can. Currently, the desktop space looks quite different; the M1 Mini and the M1 iMac are identical silicon-wise but they're catering to two segments still; the people who would value a headless Mac and the people who would value an AIO but that's all largely outside the pro space. When you consider the pro space, a notional M1X iMac Pro would essentially be in competition with an M1X Mac Mini Pro or whatever you'd call it combined with the monitor you already have. Hell, the M1 Mini and M1 iMac are kinda in that situation too except there's a lot more people in the non-pro space who'd value not having to think about their monitor. You don't get this same division in the laptop space where the display is always a consideration, so the M1X Macbook Pro and the M1 Macbook Air won't be cannibalizing eachother this way.

Without knowing how the chip generations are going to break down, and therefore having to outright guess, I'd say if it were me I'd have an MN Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini and two sizes of iMac, and an MNX Macbook Pro and Mac Mini (Pro?). The Tower Mac Pro is anyone's guess but I don't imagine we'll be finding that one out today. WWDC '22 would be my guess.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what's MN?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Minnesota

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

qbert posted:

Sorry if this question's been asked before, but around how long after new Macbooks are announced are they usually available for order on Amazon?

I'd say about 2-4 weeks.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

One computer, please.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

presumably a variable standing for some integer

regardless people are reading way too much into product names.

“an imac pro was a specific point in time and apple doesn’t have a product niche anymore”

i don’t buy that at all, the big imac is going to have a much more powerful chip than the small imac which is the perfect opportunity to split the lineup. i also don’t think that a mac mini of whatever power is in competition with any of the imacs.

my point boils down essentially to the idea that an imac and imac pro make as much sense as a macbook air and macbook pro or iphone and iphone pro, imo. apple is surprisingly fluid wrt branding

secret comedy option: call it the imac maxx

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

New Mac Mini announcement today, please.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't wait for the new iBook

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This kid likes Apple way too much.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
MagSafe sfx, I guess it is true.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

How about making Music load faster on macOS, Tim

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Is there a event thread or are we just posting in here?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

When you want to shop privately for gifts online, there's a playlist for that too

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

the voice plan lmao

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
A playlist for hiking.

Modern life is truly rubbish.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
MOW YOUR GRASS TIM

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

AlternateAccount posted:

MOW YOUR GRASS TIM

I hope he put on some tick repellant

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I hope he put on some tick repellant

Literally was just getting the heebie jeebies thinking about this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
These are weird looking macs.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
"OK, let's see, we'll kick off as per usual: poo poo no one cares about."

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

HomePod socks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Why can't they just have people come up on stage and show slides with the info, like Steve intended?!?!