Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rust Martialis posted:

Garlic and onions hanging around your neck, smoking Gauloises and drinking 50?

Smoked Gauloises, it’s the best smoke you can find in Canada because we don’t have Luckies, and I can confirm it doesn’t help. But it’s still a really goddamn good cigarette. Their lack of availability in ROC probably contributed to my quitting smoking, because I don’t think I would’ve held the line if Gauloises, Petr I, RyJs, Ducados, or Luckies were easy to find here. Green Death has a great nic hit but the flavour is too light.

EDIT: But to make my page snipe into something other than my ode to strong cigarettes, I'll offer my perspective having lived in Montreal.

I think it probably was downtown. That's the only place I ever had a problem not speaking perfect French. I'd go all over, never had a problem even with my pure poo poo French that was the result of learning it in Alberta up to the point I could quit. Never had a problem speaking English either, when you're in a situation with a linguistic divide you just make it work. Downtown Montreal is literally the only place I've ever been in the world, from Cuba to Spain to Brazil to Germany, where I'd ever get laughed at for speaking the local language imperfectly, and not encouraged. It's also, roughly, the only place I've ever been where people weren't *too* eager to speak to me in English when I wanted to try.

The language politics are really toxic and the epicentre of the problem is downtown Montreal, because everywhere else doesn't really give a gently caress. Even other bits of Montreal. My French is pure poo poo, but I never had a problem outside downtown proper.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe they meant to say that's the direction they're going?

Angrignon is at the west end of the green line, that train was going east. The driver was probably drunk or winning a bet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Do you remember when the TTC operators first had to start calling out the stops? They used to pull all kinds of poo poo. I always figured it was some kind of work-to-rule protest.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
But... "próxima estación: Esperanza"

There's always hope.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think generally at worse I get that moment of confusion when I speak English to someone speaking French and they need a moment to switch to English; at my work all meetings switched to English since I'm the only one who doesn't speak any French. I think Montreal has generally been fine as a monolingual English speaker (I was born and raised in Quebec but never learned French).

I think the worst experience are actually in my rural hometown in Vaurdrail-Dorion whenever I try to order coffee at timmies and none of the cashiers speak English but they have english speakers right loving there in the back they could just send out to speak to them. Instead of being trying to figure out wtf "iced frappe cappuccino" is. So it takes literally five minutes to make my order before they give up and grab their manager to get my order.

In general growing up the largest issue was not being able to get any jobs that were customer facing but I never met anyone who was like "gently caress you anglo scum" but then again if they were I wouldn't understand them so I win.

Uh, the reasonable thing to do would be to at least learn enough to order at a Tim Hortons in the province that you were born, raised, and currently live. It's annoying enough that your entire work team has to switch for you but you can't even be bothered to do the minimum?

Like I used to live in Vancouver. It would be kind of annoying if someone didn't bother to learn the basics in english because there's probably someone in the store that speaks Cantonese you know?

I'm anglophone, born and raised on the west coast. I should not be more capable than you in French. The whole post kind of blows my mind because it makes you look exactly like the terrible, entitled anglophone that should legitimately be scorned. How did this happen? You even misspelled the name of your own hometown.

What in the heck.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
That made me laugh, because I always obsess over rehearsing my coffee order in french when in line in Quebec, and then inevitably give that dumb frozen stare when things go even slightly off script like them asking if I want a tray in French.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 18, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I once asked for a coffee with two milks in french and they gave me two coffees without milk :eng99:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just have trouble pronouncing creme according to my SO, who is francophone. Also according to people in Tims drivethroughs. I used to be able to but I can't do the Rs as well anymore.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Evis posted:

Any time I tried to speak French in Montreal the other person would just switch to English.

I've always considered being able to speak French in Montreal and not having the other person switch to English a measure of how well a person speaks French. It's a way better metric than having completed some sort of course in French at least.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
There was a time when I could pass as francophone but after a couple of decades living among les tête carrées, my english accent is grating on my own ears.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Embrace the hard 'r' of English, speak French freely with a thick accent! Liberate yourself from the shame of 'not speaking correctly' and enjoy the same courtesy you extend to people who have accents in English! Join the revolution

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Jordan7hm posted:

I just have trouble pronouncing creme according to my SO, who is francophone. Also according to people in Tims drivethroughs. I used to be able to but I can't do the Rs as well anymore.

You need to work on rolling up your Rs.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Good strat to never get bothered for speaking English in Quebec: open with a horribly pronounced bonjour, and almost 100% people (at least in Montreal) will gladly switch mostly to not waste anyone’s time.

The woman with the tweet should just move one neighborhood over, instead of a whole province it sounds like they have an insane neighbor.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Embrace the hard 'r' of English, speak French freely with a thick accent! Liberate yourself from the shame of 'not speaking correctly' and enjoy the same courtesy you extend to people who have accents in English! Join the revolution

honnêtement la, j'm'en fou

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 42 hours!)

I watched the Vancouver Olympics ceremonies on CBC website, and at the closing ceremonies after all that kerfuffle about the paucity of French, when Furlong started speaking his horribly accented French the chat window erupted with cries of "We were wrong, we are so sorry, please stop him speaking French, oh god make him stop".

https://twitter.com/i/status/1233618002580361216

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 18, 2021

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Another Bill posted:

pa'd stresse

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

oh, so now the definition of bad french is any french i can understand the first time through? actually that checks out

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azerban posted:

oh, so now the definition of bad french is any french i can understand the first time through? actually that checks out

If you don't speak French with a 17th century accent it's not true French. My Quebec transcribers tend to complain any time they have to transcribe France French or Parisian French because it's utterly alien to their ears.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arc Hammer posted:

If you don't speak French with a 17th century accent it's not true French. My Quebec transcribers tend to complain any time they have to transcribe France French or Parisian French because it's utterly alien to their ears.

I have literally the opposite problem because somehow my Ontario French immersion schooling left me understanding only Standard French. I am helpless in the face of Quebecois.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Another Bill posted:

Je men crisse la la mon truck est stuckee sur le track ostie

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

I often switch to English when I encounter an anglophone simply because it gives me an opportunity to practice, but I live in Quebec city so it's not like I get to speak English that often.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

As a product of the Ontario education system I am only trained to speak French to anthropomorphic pineapples and only if the conversation is pertaining to whether or not pineapples can fly commercial passenger aircraft.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I am only equipped to warn francophones if there is a werewolf in a forest.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I can do most pizza toppings in french

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Lotta self loathing anglos in this thread really beating themselves up, yeesh.

Like it's nice that you learned French and all and you should definitely speak it if you live in Quebec or even eastern NB but I absolutely promise you my Tantes are the most racist people in the country. Calisse.

Those podcast kids sounds dumb but ethnonationalist stupidity is probably not constrained to my family and hoo boy do they sound like ostie de colon Serbians or Israelis sometimes.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

As a product of the Ontario education system I am only trained to speak French to anthropomorphic pineapples and only if the conversation is pertaining to whether or not pineapples can fly commercial passenger aircraft.

I am unfortunately completely unaware of how to say any number either divisible by 3 or containing 3, but my pronunciation of pamplemousse is absolutely perfect.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife's been living in Canada for 10 years and she only recently realized that there are such things a monolingual french speakers. She thought french in canada was like Welsh in england or something, a niche language a tiny group was trying to keep alive and no one spoke as a first language. She had some meetings with people in quebec and got mad after saying "Why do some people from quebec put on a heavy french accent?? You're canadian, just speak normal english!" she thought it was entirely an affected thing. She was blown away at the idea that there's big parts of Quebec where you simply could not get by if you only spoke english and yes there's entirely towns and families where people don't speak a lick of english or only learn it in high school and thus have a heavy and real accent.

It's extremely easy in BC to totally forget french exists in Canada.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fidelitious posted:

Uh, the reasonable thing to do would be to at least learn enough to order at a Tim Hortons in the province that you were born, raised, and currently live. It's annoying enough that your entire work team has to switch for you but you can't even be bothered to do the minimum?

Like I used to live in Vancouver. It would be kind of annoying if someone didn't bother to learn the basics in english because there's probably someone in the store that speaks Cantonese you know?

I'm anglophone, born and raised on the west coast. I should not be more capable than you in French. The whole post kind of blows my mind because it makes you look exactly like the terrible, entitled anglophone that should legitimately be scorned. How did this happen? You even misspelled the name of your own hometown.

What in the heck.

If I lived in a foreign country I think you'd have a point but I don't live in a foreign country.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've lived in Canada close to 20 years now and have been to Monteal twice. The second time I went I was with a girl who is bilingual and we managed pretty okay in Montreal with my speaking English and her speaking French. She did most of the talking but I was able to get by as well if I went to grab a coffee or such.
When we got to Quebec City it was completely different. It was interesting because her family is also bilingual but speak English at home and they live in Quebec City so I figure outside of their home they speak French all the time. She told me that in QC when we go out she will do all the ordering and talking and such.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Fidelitious posted:

How did this happen? You even misspelled the name of your own hometown.

:lol:

Enquiring minds demand answers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

J'ai besoin de l'aide pour commander une cappuccino glacé, svp sans pamplemousse merci beaucoup!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Raenir Salazar posted:

If I lived in a foreign country I think you'd have a point but I don't live in a foreign country.

Incredible.

Do you think a german Swiss would move to Ticino and then get all upset because they have difficulty ordering a coffee because they couldn't be bothered to learn any italian? After all, it's not a foreign country.
Regional languages within a country are not an innovative concept, and languages don't care about borders. Legal lines on a map have no bearing on what would be deemed the polite (or even rational) thing to do linguistically.

Not that there aren't tons of other monolingual anglophones in Montreal and spread around, but I think everyone should make a basic effort. I don't necessarily expect eventual fluency from everyone.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 18, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The last time I ordered an iced cap in English from a Quebec Timmies I got a serious :iceburn: so I'm never going back!!

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Madkal posted:

I've lived in Canada close to 20 years now and have been to Monteal twice. The second time I went I was with a girl who is bilingual and we managed pretty okay in Montreal with my speaking English and her speaking French. She did most of the talking but I was able to get by as well if I went to grab a coffee or such.
When we got to Quebec City it was completely different. It was interesting because her family is also bilingual but speak English at home and they live in Quebec City so I figure outside of their home they speak French all the time. She told me that in QC when we go out she will do all the ordering and talking and such.

Same experience in Montreal and Quebec City with my wife, I got along fine in Montreal speaking English and with my wife speaking French (she lived in Rimouski for a bit) but once we got to QC I think I talked to maybe two people. I gotta say though, français québécois is easy to understand compared to some of the Acadian dialects - I could understand the gist of what they were saying in Quebec, but I’ve never understood anything someone from Cheticamp or Arichat said to me.

Saw a few headlines about an Alberta referendum on equalization payments. Is there anything they can actually do if they vote to stop the payments? I thought it was basically a federal redistribution of funds.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fidelitious posted:

Incredible.

Do you think a german Swiss would move to Ticino and then get all upset because they have difficulty ordering a coffee because they couldn't be bothered to learn any italian? After all, it's not a foreign country.
Regional languages within a country are not an innovative concept, and languages don't care about borders. Legal lines on a map have no bearing on what would be deemed the polite (or even rational) thing to do linguistically.

Well firstly of all I never said it upset me, that seems to be a misunderstanding on your part; bemused is not being upset. Secondly there is an explanation but it involves a lot of personal information I'd prefer not to divulge.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I don't know why ordering coffee is the go to example for basic language proficiency. First, if you've ever been to Starbucks you speak enough Italian to order coffee. Second, Kaffe is like the same loving word in every European language, and third, even if you don't speak a word of the local language it's amazing how far you can get by pointing and smiling.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I don't know why ordering coffee is the go to example for basic language proficiency.

Because Canadians are pissbrained simpletons.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Same experience in Montreal and Quebec City with my wife, I got along fine in Montreal speaking English and with my wife speaking French (she lived in Rimouski for a bit) but once we got to QC I think I talked to maybe two people. I gotta say though, français québécois is easy to understand compared to some of the Acadian dialects - I could understand the gist of what they were saying in Quebec, but I’ve never understood anything someone from Cheticamp or Arichat said to me.

Saw a few headlines about an Alberta referendum on equalization payments. Is there anything they can actually do if they vote to stop the payments? I thought it was basically a federal redistribution of funds.

No, it's purely for crying purposes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Due to the weird out datedness of Quebec French I would have thought "Coffee" would translate to the French words for "black tar water"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ElectionsAB/status/1450173156199653383?t=u1K4tmgM_X1kdOq1xKMoPQ&s=19

So who had "Elections Alberta Twitter run by a shitposter" on their bingo card? On election day no less.