Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Mormon Nailer posted:

This is the way.

I love reading these exchanges with ridiculous bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I didn't learn to touchtype so much as I realized I was touchtyping without thinking about it. The closest to formal training I ever got was a typing game on the Commodore 64 featuring characters from The Wizard of Id. I then did a lot of typing for school and did data entry jobs and found myself no longer looking at the keyboard. At first when I thought about it I suddenly couldn't touchtype, but it got more natural over time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Volmarias posted:

There's a whole lot of stdh.txt happening lately

Like on one hand they get the boss's blaming someone else for their own mistakes just right. On the other than that they all have the same green text boxes does make me a bit suspicious.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mormon Nailer posted:

This is the way.

Might be bullshit but if not I love how the boss can't even try to be nice, or apologetic, or offer an inventive. Straight to the 'its your job to work when you're not supposed to be working'.

You need. I need.

Not one, 'I'm sorry to throw this at you' or 'Its your day off tomorrow but something happened, can you please come in?'. So entitled.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

Volmarias posted:

There's a whole lot of stdh.txt happening lately

Not surprising if it is, but it's fun to pretend at least. Who hasn't dreamed of telling a lovely boss off?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On one hand these all feel stdh, on the other I've absolutely had these people as bosses and the change in economic conditions does make it possible.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Barudak posted:

On one hand these all feel stdh, on the other I've absolutely had these people as bosses and the change in economic conditions does make it possible.

That right there. It's absolutely believable because I've been in that situation, and I've also told a boss to eat my entire rear end. At least now the only negative consequences is someone MIGHT talk to another business owner about you, but chances are low because competition is wild right now.

gently caress em. And gently caress a job.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

People who can’t touchtype make my blood boil cause every time I go to help them this happens:

*laboriously hunt-and-pecks password while staring intently at keyboard*
*looks up*
Haha oops guess I didn’t click the box!
*begins sloooowly tapping away on keyboard again for the next ten minutes while I grind my teeth in frustration*

And these are professional programmers

It's me! I've been a software engineer for the last 20 years and never learned to touch type. I've always programmed ever since I was 6 typing the code books in my ZX Spectrum by looking at the keys and never at the screen.

The only time this was a problem was in my final year and I suddenly had to write a 50,000 word dissertation.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I am a boss and I love bossing my minions around

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I tell them to do projects and then I go and shitpost in my office

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

The writing is too perfect for a 3am chat, but I've quit in similar circumstances. I ghosted the job, and heard from other people there that the lovely manager had to cover my shift that night because he was already short staffed (nobody else would come in to help him either).

There was a time when it was possible to do this and get away with it, I'm glad to see that it is happening again.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

~Coxy posted:

This is becoming less of a thing now thanks to SaaS/SSO, but I never could stand it when I was working with someone and they would have to login into something we use everyday like Jira or timesheets or whatever and they would not tick "Remember Me" or "Save Password".

Sorry but you're the wrong one. Use a password manager.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Aramoro posted:

It's me! I've been a software engineer for the last 20 years and never learned to touch type. I've always programmed ever since I was 6 typing the code books in my ZX Spectrum by looking at the keys and never at the screen.

The only time this was a problem was in my final year and I suddenly had to write a 50,000 word dissertation.

Honestly it's fine because genuinely about 10% of a coder's time is actually spent typing. The rest is problem solving which is the critical skill. Not typing super fast.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Honestly it's fine because genuinely about 10% of a coder's time is actually spent typing. The rest is problem solving which is the critical skill. Not typing super fast.

But the internet hackers on TV or making thousands and thousands of characters per second appear.

Hell the nerd from CSI needed the fifty-year-old goth to help him hack once.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

But the internet hackers on TV or making thousands and thousands of characters per second appear.

Hell the nerd from CSI needed the fifty-year-old goth to help him hack once.

Haha, I love the websites you can go to that give you the hacker interface where you press one key and a whole command appears. I wonder if movies and tv shows use those sites or build their own bullshit generators?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Haha, I love the websites you can go to that give you the hacker interface where you press one key and a whole command appears. I wonder if movies and tv shows use those sites or build their own bullshit generators?

Sometimes i fullscreen cmd prompt and paste some garbage in there and stare at it while praying for death.

My boss thinks I'm debugging a macro in excel or something, I'm not going to correct him. I'm not a code guy.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Mm yes that’s what the slow typists all said. I don’t believe it though. If you can type quickly on autopilot while thinking or talking, you have the immense advantage that you can think via code and verify your thoughts programmatically, rather than sitting there thinking and then slowly tapping it out as two separate procedures. You can also take really good notes during meetings and you can work much more effectively remotely, because you won’t have to call unnecessary meetings or zoom chats to discuss things simply because your typing is too slow to express yourself properly. Fast typing IS a critical skill for programmers, people just don’t want to say so because it sounds petty or manual-laboury (“I don’t work with my hands, I work with my brain!”), that’s my opinion anyway

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Mm yes that’s what the slow typists all said. I don’t believe it though. If you can type quickly on autopilot while thinking or talking, you have the immense advantage that you can think via code and verify your thoughts programmatically, rather than sitting there thinking and then slowly tapping it out as two separate procedures. You can also take really good notes during meetings and you can work much more effectively remotely, because you won’t have to call unnecessary meetings or zoom chats to discuss things simply because your typing is too slow to express yourself properly. Fast typing IS a critical skill for programmers, people just don’t want to say so because it sounds petty or manual-laboury (“I don’t work with my hands, I work with my brain!”), that’s my opinion anyway

That sounds cowboy-ish. What's your quality and fpy like?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'm a software dev who can type 100wpm. I still spend at least 80% of my time staring at the screen thinking "yo, wtf?" while I solve problems, or reading documentation/discussions where no typing is required. Actually mechanically typing code into an IDE is such a tiny part of the job.

I'm sure fast typing helps note takers, doesn't do poo poo for developing software though.

edit; post ur typeracer itt

blunt fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 18, 2021

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Fullscreen .pptx full of images in sequence.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Outrail posted:

Might be bullshit but if not I love how the boss can't even try to be nice, or apologetic, or offer an inventive. Straight to the 'its your job to work when you're not supposed to be working'.

You need. I need.

Not one, 'I'm sorry to throw this at you' or 'Its your day off tomorrow but something happened, can you please come in?'. So entitled.

I noticed this too, this person went straight to trying to bully their employee, just trying to use the 'tell them, don't ask them, so they can't get out of it' routine that lovely bosses use.

A lot of these managers loving up are folks who think being a boss is the same as being a parent. They don't understand you need to treat people as peers and coworkers. Unsurprisingly, they're often the sort of person who thinks most things in politics can be solved by stating things firmly and 'drawing a hard line'.

Not a single one of these assholes is ever gonna read AskAManager to see themselves get dressed down, either.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 18, 2021

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’ve had jobs before where I’ve asked for time off specifically because I would be going out of town, and often wouldn’t be the one driving, only to be told once I was out of town that actually I need to come in to work. They had to accept I couldn’t come in for logistical reasons alone, but it didn’t stop them from trying really hard or suggesting I figure something out a couple times.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Mormon Nailer posted:

This is the way.

Staying ready to work? That sounds like being on call. If I am always on call, I better be paid for all that time.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

bobjr posted:

I’ve had jobs before where I’ve asked for time off specifically because I would be going out of town, and often wouldn’t be the one driving, only to be told once I was out of town that actually I need to come in to work. They had to accept I couldn’t come in for logistical reasons alone, but it didn’t stop them from trying really hard or suggesting I figure something out a couple times.

Years ago, I worked at a hotel. I was the AGM and covered night audit, because we didn't pay enough to hire a night auditor. I worked seven days a week. This was over a decade ago, and I was very poor, plus I had just gotten laid off from a very good job in the recession, so I took what I could get to survive. I had one day off in two years, total, and worked through three consecutive weeks of massive snow storms that stranded me as the only employee of a large, very full hotel.

After two years and getting through the storms, they finally let me take a vacation. So, I took my rear end back to California for ten days.

Night 2, the GM called me. "Where are you?" "Mountain View." "Can you be here in thirty minutes?" "Absolutely not. I'm in California, your are in Oklahoma." "But I can't work night audit, because I'm tired!" "Gosh, that's terrible. Anyway, see you when I get back!"

They called me all night every night. It's the first time I've ever turned my phone on silent.

I only worked there about 5 more months after returning, because my then fiancee and I moved to Mountain View and got tech jobs again.

They called me regularly for almost a decade until I changed my cell phone number. My old number is still in the night audit manual as "tech support" because the GM, who is still stuck there, is passive aggressive. Every time someone called me, I told them my fee was $450 an hour, minimum 2 hours, for consulting.

I invoiced them and they never paid. Every call. I never helped.

gently caress a job.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fun quitting story from maybe 5 years back:

My Brother in law took a truck driver job, when he got hired on they agreed he would be home for the major holidays. December rolls around, and they tell him he’s delivering a load out of state over Christmas.
He immediately dropped their truck off and quit on the spot. Cue the “oh wait we can work this out” from the managers, which he completely ignored.

I don’t like my BIL much but you don’t gently caress with his family time.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Different kind of dumb poo poo my work does - Friday a couple of my teammates went to the dollar store, bought $50 of Halloween decorations and proceeded to set up and decorate a Christmas tree we got from a different team.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I told my boss I was leaving for a better position with perks that paid more and her response was "But you're on the list for a raise!"

Suuuuuurrrrre I am :downs: Hard not to be, considering how hard you screwed me on salary. But I think I'll take my chances with the new guys...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I told my boss I was leaving for a better position with perks that paid more and her response was "But you're on the list for a raise!"

Suuuuuurrrrre I am :downs: Hard not to be, considering how hard you screwed me on salary. But I think I'll take my chances with the new guys...

Good news, you're on the list for me to show up tomorrow.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lmao, my company is trying to make me take a 'personal choice' training. Nope, I'm not accepting your liability.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Machai posted:

Staying ready to work? That sounds like being on call. If I am always on call, I better be paid for all that time.
My last job was animal control. I spent pretty much 5 years on call. If you were on call, you couldn't drink or really do much in the event you got called out and you only got paid for responding. The shifts were bid and I was "new" (you had senior officers who'd been there 10-15 years or more) so I always got stuck with it. Once there were more new hires and I wasn't automatically stuck with it they changed it to a rotation to "make it more fair."

Combining with other themes, I had finally gotten a M-F 8-4 shift working for a city we contracted with. Everything was going swimmingly until we had a couple vacancies and so they had me cover one of the neighboring areas too, without telling the city. So suddenly I wasn't doing all the morning patrols and stuff and the city thought I was screwing off and complained. Instead of fessing up, they told the city they'd replace me. Told me on a Friday I was removed from the assignment and I needed to come in on Sunday. I told them it was bullshit and if they didn't fix it I'd quit. They didn't fix it, and I got my current job. Cue them being surprised when I told them I was leaving.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Different kind of dumb poo poo my work does - Friday a couple of my teammates went to the dollar store, bought $50 of Halloween decorations and proceeded to set up and decorate a Christmas tree we got from a different team.

Establishing a Hallomas Tree that sits on the office from October to January would be a great way to 'be inclusive' and piss off the fundies. Stick in some Hannaka and Kwanza stuff too. Happy Hallokwanakamas everybody.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

Establishing a Hallomas Tree that sits on the office from October to January would be a great way to 'be inclusive' and piss off the fundies. Stick in some Hannaka and Kwanza stuff too. Happy Hallokwanakamas everybody.

Yeah I'm in favor of the concept

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

gwarm01 posted:

Are you sure it isn't " 'ppreciate'cha"?

That's the catchphrase of a manager on another team. When he left they made mugs celebrating this phrase. :negative:

Odonata posted:

At my grocery store job the well meaning but clueless HR lady decided the way to deal with staff burning out from being perpetually understaffed is to invest in little plastic chips that we managers can hand out as tokens of appreciation.
She thinks the pun is loving hilarious. I think the first time I try handing one of these to my staff they'll have me fitted for the ol' guillotine.
The tokens, of course, can not be redeemed for anything like free meals or vacation time. Just dumb little disks you can treasure forever.
Meanwhile my request to give my staff pay raises is shot down.

Lol my MegaCorp that has nothing to do with the military began handing out Challenge Coins for those who demonstrated superior skills in keeping our data secure. When I tried to tell that same team that having a staffed desk, badge scan, and turnstiles at our main entrance is useless when all the side entrances have zero security they got annoyed.

Armitag3 posted:

sickos.jpg

we have :sickos: now

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Cthulu Carl posted:

the cafe people at my work have this creepy lil halloween butler that they pull out and dress up for any holiday they can think of. they have a kissing booth setup for him at valentine's, leprechaun gear for st patrick's day, etc. it's very dumb but i love it.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
My only good quitting moment was when I was a teen working for McDonalds. The day before I was going out for two weeks for medical stuff, they called me in to suspend me for a few days after that due to my drawer being $5 short. I was so pissed that I told them I was quitting and giving my two weeks notice.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
Several people have quit recently specifically citing toxic behavior from upper management, and then wrote nasty Indeed reviews very specifically calling out individual directors behavior. Upper management has put together a crack team to address turnover, and their solution was to ask our existing staff to write positive reviews on Indeed to help us with hiring new people.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Are they replying to all the reviews as well? It's super creepy when they do that!

Trainee PornStar
Jul 20, 2006

I'm just an inbetweener

Zzulu posted:

I tell them to do projects and then I go and shitpost in my office

Is your name jon?

Trainee PornStar fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 18, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ClothHat posted:

Several people have quit recently specifically citing toxic behavior from upper management, and then wrote nasty Indeed reviews very specifically calling out individual directors behavior. Upper management has put together a crack team to address turnover, and their solution was to ask our existing staff to write positive reviews on Indeed to help us with hiring new people.

I hope that means you are polishing your resume as well. Because things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
One of the 40 year old natural gas ceiling heaters in assembly will not ignite and over the course of a day fills the entire production area with the stink of gas. This started when we turned our heaters on at the beginning of October and has only gotten stronger by the day.

This doesn't affect the office staff at all, including our site boss, so naturally his having called the HVAC contractor and getting a service date on their books for early-mid November is good enough! Love to blow up my factory for lulz...