Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a reason why they never let worf make decisions on tng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

worf's not just a bad father

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
everyone talks about how weird it is that beverly hosed a ghost in that one episode of tng

but the real thing that gets me about that episode is that theres a whole planet dedicated to cosplaying as scottish people, and even aliens want in on it

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That's what you get in a post scarcity utopia. Cosplay planets.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What kind of person moves to scotland planet and not dragon planet though.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

everyone talks about how weird it is that beverly hosed a ghost in that one episode of tng

but the real thing that gets me about that episode is that theres a whole planet dedicated to cosplaying as scottish people, and even aliens want in on it

The script was cribbed from an Anne Rice story. Sex ghosts and cosplay is the same milieu. Beverly's grandmother moving there fits the mold.

How come the Crusher ghost sex gets shamed but Zefram Cochrane gets a pass with edging a sentient space cloud for hundreds of years?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the space cloud didn't gently caress his grandmother

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Could one consider sex ghost a semi-sentient sex toy?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

pacerhimself posted:

It's destroying the entirety of this person right and moral?

I have an old dvd set for season 4 and on the behind the scenes they joke about how this is part of a string of episodes where bashir is the most unethical doctor in starfleet

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
oh word the genetically altered wunderkind sexpest doctor is unethical?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

when was Bashir a sexpest? To Jadzia?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dude had no qualms about romancing patients, which is pretty weird

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

punishedkissinger posted:

when was Bashir a sexpest? To Jadzia?

do you even "get" star trek?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

Dude had no qualms about romancing patients, which is pretty weird

oh right, that was pretty questionable. that was mostly in earlier seasons right?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

oh right, that was pretty questionable. that was mostly in earlier seasons right?

Nope, the episode where he cures the catatonic one from the Brain Trust and then proceeds to harass her to the point where she's fakes being catatonic again and everyone around him is telling him how hosed up it is happened during the Dominion War.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Nope, the episode where he cures the catatonic one from the Brain Trust and then proceeds to harass her to the point where she's fakes being catatonic again and everyone around him is telling him how hosed up it is happened during the Dominion War.

That was the first one I thought of because it was so cartoonishly skeevalicious that it rose above subtext to become the plot of the episode

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My theory is that everything but Julian's social skills towards women were genetically modified.

He did have a nice breakup with leeta tho, didn't he?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

section 31 is sex offender registry and probation

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Eighties ZomCom posted:

i think i blocked this one out of my brain because of how hosed up it was.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

i think i blocked this one out of my brain because of how hosed up it was.

Yeah I forgot about this one too lmao.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

External Organs posted:

My theory is that everything but Julian's social skills towards women were genetically modified.

Maybe he's sandbagging so no one figures him out.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

nobody is as sexy as cytherian reg

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

Tuvok. And if Doctor had his mobile emitter by then, grab a second one of those too.

Tuvok doesn't seem all that good at what he does, and he doesn't seem to have a very important job either. He can't even catch the spy, the loving chef does!

You need another science whiz. 2nd Janeway would probably be the best choice for the other duplicate, but since she's self-destructing her ship, it would be a real dick move for her to bail on it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I kinda hated the entire Julian arc with the other genetic mutants in general. I way prefer bicuriousity with Garrack and O'Brien.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I kinda hated the entire Julian arc with the other genetic mutants in general. I way prefer bicuriousity with Garrack and O'Brien.

Those episodes sucked, and him turning into a human supercomputer from then on out sucked too

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Something about the latter seasons of DS9 reminds me of Joss Whedon, and it’s not the obvious supernatural stuff. It might have just been the flavor of the time, in terms of genre television writing in the late 90s.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i believe the term is buffy-the-vampire-slayer-like

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bashir has a good run from like late season 2 to mid season 6 or so where he's not incredibly creepy but I guess the writers just didn't know what to do with him

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Eighties ZomCom posted:

What was ever wrong with the other woman other than being insanely horny anyway? Being insanely horny really isn't a crime in the Federation, just look at Riker.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Whorelord posted:

What was ever wrong with the other woman other than being insanely horny anyway? Being insanely horny really isn't a crime in the Federation, just look at Riker.

almost like there are double standards or something. Also assuming the writers are infallible and wont accidentally project their own biases into the text

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The concept of “Horny Jail” becomes extremely real some time in the next couple hundred years.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i honestly didnt think it was sexual as much as her wanting an intensely dramatic romantic relationship if that makes any sense. she was a messy bitch who lived for drama so to speak.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think she was meant to be a bit of a narcissist but it didn't really come across that way.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
and what then does that make lwaxana

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Tuvok doesn't seem all that good at what he does, and he doesn't seem to have a very important job either. He can't even catch the spy, the loving chef does!

You need another science whiz. 2nd Janeway would probably be the best choice for the other duplicate, but since she's self-destructing her ship, it would be a real dick move for her to bail on it.

I was thinking more "useful to have around." By all accounts Tom Paris was actually a good pilot, but I wouldn't want another one of him around.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Sudor Merc'd an entire ship full of Kazon, too bad he didn't make it far enough to get dupe'd.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I saw a couple more episodes of Lower Decks and the one with the one-off character who was a Worf 359 and Dominion War denier was amusing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I also deny this

StashAugustine posted:

Bashir has a good run from like late season 2 to mid season 6 or so where he's not incredibly creepy but I guess the writers just didn't know what to do with him

he should have come out as a space gay. it would have been a great arc and would seriously improved the show. it's one of the few times where the fan fiction people are correct.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
https://youtu.be/46YCLXEzvbU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

I was thinking more "useful to have around." By all accounts Tom Paris was actually a good pilot, but I wouldn't want another one of him around.

All the female crew are like "gently caress, we have another one? Are you kidding me?"