Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I like some of the wheels that are on the higher-trim corollas a lot, I'd probably look for a set of those. Also, depending on how you use your car, instead of the Defenders consider the Bridgestone QuietComfort (I've had both). The Defenders are a bit sportier and sharper at the expense of noise and winter grip. The QuietComforts made my Kia an almost-luxury car at the expense of sharpness and steering feel. The QuietComforts also did fine in Cleveland winter, tho not as well as dedicated snow tires.

Highly recommend Costco for either, their store-brand Michelins are Defenders, and they also carry the QuietComforts. Don't go with their other Bridgestone option, sounds like they suck.

I'll pick up a pair of quiet comforts. I only ever bought defends for my e39, e92, and my accord but obviously I really could care less about any sort of "sporty" feeling I could get from a Corolla lol. I'd much prefer a quiet ride to a grippy one with a car I'll never drive over the speed limit lol.

I've looked at the OEM Corolla wheels from the current SE and XSE models but they're really expensive (or at least more than I'm willing to spend). I was looking at the Enkei PX-10s because I feel like they look "tasteful" enough and probably won't crack/break on me.

Are these decent for $125/wheel? I'm afraid to go any cheaper than this honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I bought a set of "Sport Edition" which I assume is an in house brand for TireRack in 16" for my E90, and they lasted pretty well for winters across two cars. Including massive pothole in Philly where it was really deformed but held air somehow. They were like $99/wheel then, looks like they're probably $125/wheel now, so what you're suggesting is probably fine. Enkei is a more known brand than Sport Edition to boot. :P

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CerealKilla420 posted:

I'll pick up a pair of quiet comforts. I only ever bought defends for my e39, e92, and my accord but obviously I really could care less about any sort of "sporty" feeling I could get from a Corolla lol. I'd much prefer a quiet ride to a grippy one with a car I'll never drive over the speed limit lol.

I've looked at the OEM Corolla wheels from the current SE and XSE models but they're really expensive (or at least more than I'm willing to spend). I was looking at the Enkei PX-10s because I feel like they look "tasteful" enough and probably won't crack/break on me.

Are these decent for $125/wheel? I'm afraid to go any cheaper than this honestly.

Enkei is a good brand. They’ll be fine. They make a ton of OEM wheels as well.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, we swap winter/summer sets free if they're both on wheels, because part of us installing tires is free rotate/balance. Usually one guy will grab the set going on and pressure check/balance them, and another guy will take the other set off, bag them, and put them back in the car. I think the fastest we've done a swap is 10 minutes, but that was steelies going on a Corolla, so about the easiest in the world.

Minimum if we're dismounting/remounting is usually 30 minutes, and that's if there's a third guy to take care of bagging/paperwork while the other two dismount and remount. Plus it'll cost you $40.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I managed to bend an Enkei RPF-1 pretty well but I was going at leash 60mph / 100kph down a gravel road. Didn't even feel it and only noticed it when I got there. Managed to hold perfect pressure hundreds of miles home, haha.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
goons, I need some winter tire advice. I live in the mid atlantic and have been driving AWD cars with good all seasons (pilot sport AS etc.) for the last 5-6 years. The actual roads here are generally in good shape, we don't get a whole lot of snow most years. However, the access road our house is on plus our driveway itself is steep, shaded and extremely prone to icing and snow accumulation. We live at the top of the hill so gravity generally ensures it's possible to leave. I've always managed to get home again as well but there have been some interesting moments and I have had to give up a couple of times and wait for some ice melt to work.

Now i have an FWD Accord with whatever mediocre eco focused all season tires Honda included and i'm really worried about how that's going to work this winter. I want to get a second set of wheels with snow tires.

Tirerack wants to sell me Michelin X-Ice Snow, Blizzak WS90 or more of a 'performance winter' tire like Sottozero 3 and Dunlop Wintersport 4D. I'll be driving on clear roads 95% of the time so dry/wet traction on clear pavement is a big deal, which seems to suggest a performance winter tire. But I'm worried they won't handle the driveway. Right now I'm leaning towards the X-Ice but :shrug:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

sanchez posted:

goons, I need some winter tire advice. I live in the mid atlantic and have been driving AWD cars with good all seasons (pilot sport AS etc.) for the last 5-6 years. The actual roads here are generally in good shape, we don't get a whole lot of snow most years. However, the access road our house is on plus our driveway itself is steep, shaded and extremely prone to icing and snow accumulation. We live at the top of the hill so gravity generally ensures it's possible to leave. I've always managed to get home again as well but there have been some interesting moments and I have had to give up a couple of times and wait for some ice melt to work.

Now i have an FWD Accord with whatever mediocre eco focused all season tires Honda included and i'm really worried about how that's going to work this winter. I want to get a second set of wheels with snow tires.

Tirerack wants to sell me Michelin X-Ice Snow, Blizzak WS90 or more of a 'performance winter' tire like Sottozero 3 and Dunlop Wintersport 4D. I'll be driving on clear roads 95% of the time so dry/wet traction on clear pavement is a big deal, which seems to suggest a performance winter tire. But I'm worried they won't handle the driveway. Right now I'm leaning towards the X-Ice but :shrug:

I had the X-Ice on my TSX and a Civic Si in PA. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again if the price was right.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Enkei is a good brand. They’ll be fine. They make a ton of OEM wheels as well.

Sweet - should I go with the 17in wheels or should I just stick with 16in?

16in would be quieter right? Because there's more rubber?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Xice Snows, WS90, Pirelli Ice Zero FR, or the Dunlop Winter Maxx 2 would be what I'd recommend in your situation. Depending on your particular size they may or may not be available, though. One of my coworkers did I think two seasons on the Pirelli SZ3 before he switched to the Michelin Xice, because the road noise was pretty bad on them. I love the Ice Zeros on my wife's car, nice and quiet in the dry but fantastic in the wet, snow and ice. She'll be on her third season this year with those.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CerealKilla420 posted:

Sweet - should I go with the 17in wheels or should I just stick with 16in?

16in would be quieter right? Because there's more rubber?

If you can go with 16, I would. It won’t necessarily be quieter but your ride quality will likely improve slightly due to more sidewall absorbing the impacts.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Imperador do Brasil posted:

If you can go with 16, I would. It won’t necessarily be quieter but your ride quality will likely improve slightly due to more sidewall absorbing the impacts.

Ok cool - I was not sure if it would improve the ride or not. I just know that all the luxury car makers like the low profile tires which are expensive and like to rip themselves on potholes/curbs. For some reason I thought that maybe low-pros were smoother or something... Do they just put them on luxury cars because they look cool? I feel like there isn't much of an advantage there...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CerealKilla420 posted:

Ok cool - I was not sure if it would improve the ride or not. I just know that all the luxury car makers like the low profile tires which are expensive and like to rip themselves on potholes/curbs. For some reason I thought that maybe low-pros were smoother or something... Do they just put them on luxury cars because they look cool? I feel like there isn't much of an advantage there...

Big wheels is fancy and ‘spensive, so they’re marketed as being better/aspirational. Plus they clear bigger brakes and improve handling, to a point.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

CerealKilla420 posted:

Also doors are super tall now for side impact and that messed up car proportions without big wheels to match.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sanchez posted:

winter tires

I've mostly driven X-Ices and WSX series tires in amateur hour snow conditions, and X-Ices and Hakkas in the land of my youth with 140" snow a year. Both the X-Ices and WS90s should be just fine for your purposes. I find the WS80s that I have on my Golf to be a bit quieter and better in the dry than the X-Ices at the expense of absolute bad weather performance but I would essentially buy whichever is cheaper.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Am I crazy for considering a set of Cross Climate 2 as winter tires for my BRZ?

I've been using a set of Michelin X-Ice that still have decent tread left, but are getting old and last winter had some traction issues I didn't have in the past. I was leaning towards getting another set as they weren't bad in prior years, but reading reviews for the CC2 they seem to have pretty decent snow performance, and my area (Philadelphia, in the city) doesn't get much snow accumulation, so I'd mostly be dealing with cold temperatures and slush after the times it does snow. I work mostly remote now so I'm only driving a couple times a week.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Do you already have a set of dedicated summers?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

smooth jazz posted:

Do you already have a set of dedicated summers?

Yes, I have Firehawk Indy 500s on the stock wheels, and a set of 16" wheels for winter usage.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

DrChu posted:

Am I crazy for considering a set of Cross Climate 2 as winter tires for my BRZ?

I've been using a set of Michelin X-Ice that still have decent tread left, but are getting old and last winter had some traction issues I didn't have in the past. I was leaning towards getting another set as they weren't bad in prior years, but reading reviews for the CC2 they seem to have pretty decent snow performance, and my area (Philadelphia, in the city) doesn't get much snow accumulation, so I'd mostly be dealing with cold temperatures and slush after the times it does snow. I work mostly remote now so I'm only driving a couple times a week.

I got blazzak lm-32s for my BRZ and they're great for the winter. The car still feels sporty and very good cold/wet/snow performance.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure it's as good as a dedicated winter tire. It is pretty good though. Does anybody have the European magazine test results?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Imo, if you already have a dedicated set of summers, may as well have a dedicated winter tire instead of the "all weather" tire.

Or, if you're really not fussed about it, mount some all weathers onto your 17" for year-round.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I can see the use case for summers and all-weathers, if you love someplace where you'll be out of the performance envelope for dedicated summers but don't see months of constant snow and ice. If your "winter" means 20-30° at the lowest and occasional snow showers that melt within a day or two, I think running Blizzaks might be a waste.

Here, we've been subzero for weeks at a time, and there's generally snow on the ground for 4 months of the year. I'd pull my hair out in the spring and fall running straight summer/winter, so I run UHP all-seasons and dedicated winters, and the fun car gets dedicated summers and parked when it's too cold for Pilot Super Sports.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Michigan being wacky, I also (prefer to) do all-seasons and winters for my daily. That way I'm not screwed by those fun fall and spring periods when you get snow and 70F in the space of a week. My Miata gets fully seasonal tires since I wouldn't want to drive it during a freak snow event anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How big of a deal is cold temperature storage for high performance summer tires? I got the NS-2Rs mounted on the Miata outside but temperature are getting close to freezing in the nights while during the day it's perfect!y pleasant.

I've seen Yokohama recommend -10c as the minimum storage but there's not much I can find about this.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

How big of a deal is cold temperature storage for high performance summer tires? I got the NS-2Rs mounted on the Miata outside but temperature are getting close to freezing in the nights while during the day it's perfect!y pleasant.

I've seen Yokohama recommend -10c as the minimum storage but there's not much I can find about this.
I've always read to store tires above -10C and TireRack says the same thing. Around me all the tire storage places advertise that they have heated indoor storage so it seems like its a thing.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I was always nervous leaving Pilot Super Sports in an unheated MN garage over winter, but it doesn't seem to have affected them. They did get stacked off the car though, most of the warning seem to be about the possibility of cracking the rubber with weight/impact damage when it's too cold out.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Michigan being wacky, I also (prefer to) do all-seasons and winters for my daily. That way I'm not screwed by those fun fall and spring periods when you get snow and 70F in the space of a week. My Miata gets fully seasonal tires since I wouldn't want to drive it during a freak snow event anyway.

drat, my fears came true, but it all makes sense. The Veloster N that I just bought comes with performance 19'' summer Pirelli tires. All cool and good, but now in Ontario the weather is wacky. That is, 3C in the morning at 8AM and 11-ish in the afternoon. So I took for the last couple of days the SUV in the morning to take my son to school. All meanwhile looking for winter tires (18'' should fit, I hope). But I want this car to be my daily, it is my daily. So probably I'd have to bite the bullet and next spring to just get another set of all-season tires and to keep the summer performance ones for special occasions, should they ever arise. On one hand they're there unused and ready. On the other hand they're there unused and ready. drat this money pit i got myself into. But it's fun. When it's fun it almost makes it worth it. When I coldly calculate the $, ugh.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

PitViper posted:

I can see the use case for summers and all-weathers, if you love someplace where you'll be out of the performance envelope for dedicated summers but don't see months of constant snow and ice. If your "winter" means 20-30° at the lowest and occasional snow showers that melt within a day or two, I think running Blizzaks might be a waste.

Or you live somewhere like Seattle where it's 40-60F for nine months of the year and snows maybe three days max. Then all the weekend fair weather "drivers" come out of the woodwork between complaints about electric power steering all like "You compromised!" and I'm over here still pulling 1.0g skidpad :shrug:

Even just places where it can drop below 45F at night they make perfectly fine sense. Is that weird? Is it weird to drive in less than perfect weather, or at night, or up mountain passes? Is it weird to want a tire that doesn't lose all rain capability, no matter how good it was new, after fewer miles than one's oil changes?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Volguus posted:

drat, my fears came true, but it all makes sense. The Veloster N that I just bought comes with performance 19'' summer Pirelli tires. All cool and good, but now in Ontario the weather is wacky. That is, 3C in the morning at 8AM and 11-ish in the afternoon. So I took for the last couple of days the SUV in the morning to take my son to school. All meanwhile looking for winter tires (18'' should fit, I hope). But I want this car to be my daily, it is my daily. So probably I'd have to bite the bullet and next spring to just get another set of all-season tires and to keep the summer performance ones for special occasions, should they ever arise. On one hand they're there unused and ready. On the other hand they're there unused and ready. drat this money pit i got myself into. But it's fun. When it's fun it almost makes it worth it. When I coldly calculate the $, ugh.

Given you already have summer tyres, get some performance oriented winter tyres and swap them out in October / April. If you're keeping the car a while it doesn't cost (much) more money because you're only using one set at a time so they last twice as long.

I've been using Michelin Pilot Alpin previously and Pirelli PZero Winter now, there isn't a huge amount between them but they will be better than all seasons. They're not quite as good as full-on hakkapeliittas or whatever in snow but they've been great for me on reasonably powerful cars in the Alps in winter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Volguus posted:

When I coldly calculate the $, ugh.

never do this, what the hell man

we are all best off not knowing

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So dumb question. Just installed my first set of winter tires. My stock size is 205/55 R17, I went to 205/65 R16. Assume I should run the same tire pressure (38 psi) that is recommended for the OEM tire?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

There should be a chart in your manual showing pressures for various sizes.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Not sure how reliable it is, but tiresize.com has a calculator for that purpose too: https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/

I did a quick check, and it says I should run my winter tires at 37 PSI rather than the 39 PSI for stock tire size, so yours may vary too.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

LMAO, is this fixable? I probably need new tires anyway. How are the tires at Costco?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks smooth jazz and nitsuga.

The chart in the manual doesn't have a 16" 205/65 option, then only 16" in the chart is a 205/55, also listed at 38 psi.

The tire/wheel combo arrived from tirerack filled to 34.5 psi and that calculator you linked to nitsuga says 33 psi.

:shrug:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Goodpancakes posted:

LMAO, is this fixable? I probably need new tires anyway. How are the tires at Costco?

Easy fix, assuming it wasn't driven on flat.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The bolt is totally fixable, I just had a 5/16" lag bolt taken out of my fairly new Firehawk tire, lucky it wasn't long enough to damage the barrel I guess.

The bottom of the tire looks weird, is that just lighting?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

It's totally flat. I didn't get a low pressure warning on the tire so it probably completely deflated after parking it

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Goodpancakes posted:

It's totally flat. I didn't get a low pressure warning on the tire so it probably completely deflated after parking it

As a general rule of thumb, anything inwards of the outer tread grooves is almost always patch-pluggable unless the tire is high speed rated. Anything in that groove or further out is almost never repairable. If you have road hazard that should be covered, otherwise it still shouldn't cost much to get it repaired. Don't drive on it, though.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

They are pretty old tires with a lot of miles so I'll contemplate just getting new ones. On that note: what's the difference between all weather and all season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Goodpancakes posted:

They are pretty old tires with a lot of miles so I'll contemplate just getting new ones. On that note: what's the difference between all weather and all season?

All-weathers are designed with better winter performance in mind compared to all-seasons and are a sorta new concept. All tires are compromises of course, but I've heard great things about the Michelin Crossclimate 2s, especially if you're in a place with a cold winter but not quite bad enough to want or need dedicated winter tires.