Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hazo posted:

This is the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that gets you sent down to dianoga removal duty, ensign.

Let's compromise: an insanely huge AT-AT that can self-deploy from space like a torpedo and just stretch out the legs when it lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Picturing an AT-AT with big ol bendy legs, that flail about in a circle as they walk like an old timey cartoon character.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hazo posted:

This is the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that gets you sent down to dianoga removal duty, ensign.

The "look sir, droids" Stormtrooper's backstory is that he was a walker driver who was busted down to infantry after pointing out the AT-AT's "you can just trip it" weakness.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/zS4S9Sm.mp4

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Is this that same dude who used crowdsim software to make that awesome video of Rogue One walkers and troopers dancing on Scarif or whatever?

edit: this thing

https://vimeo.com/193879317

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

As ever with AT-ATs, this leads to questions like "Why don't we skip the added cost and weak point of legs and just use these much bigger floating metal boxes to crush our enemies?"

If you have a thing that is heavy enough to drop multiple AT-ATs, this is hard to overlook even for a Imperial wunderwaffen designer obsessed with Evil Aesthetic.

Why don't we send cargo ships instead of tanks and passenger planes instead of infantry.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Let's compromise: an insanely huge AT-AT that can self-deploy from space like a torpedo and just stretch out the legs when it lands.

Like the other AT-AT, where the first 'A' stands for 'Aquatic'

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Picturing an AT-AT with big ol bendy legs, that flail about in a circle as they walk like an old timey cartoon character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt3vzOMzQYU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Robot Style posted:

The "look sir, droids" Stormtrooper's backstory is that he was a walker driver who was busted down to infantry after pointing out the AT-AT's "you can just trip it" weakness.

this isn't a shitpost, it's actually canon

related: the "we ain't found poo poo" trooper from spaceballs is tuvok

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Look sir droids shoots his commanding officer in the back to let the Falcon escape tatooine. Rip to the real one

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/daztibbles/status/1448394815020802048

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That's the incorrect A-Wing version for that time period! :bahgawd: In fact it's a literal tracing of the illustration on the RZ-2 Wookiepedia page! :bahgawd::bahgawd:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hazo posted:

That's the incorrect A-Wing version for that time period! :bahgawd: In fact it's a literal tracing of the illustration on the RZ-2 Wookiepedia page! :bahgawd::bahgawd:

haha good catch.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/wkeenan/status/1448670822906875914

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Return of the Jedi would be improved if the scene where Palpatine is torturing Luke was exclusively shocking him nipples.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Linux Pirate posted:

Return of the Jedi would be improved if the scene where Palpatine is torturing Luke was exclusively shocking him nipples.

shocking him nipples in time with the imperial march

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Linux Pirate posted:

"I...I have to stop. I think you're into this, and I hate it...but not nearly as much as I hate that you keep yelling 'Father, please.'"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

JethroMcB posted:

"I...I have to stop. I think you're into this, and I hate it...but not nearly as much as I hate that you keep yelling 'Father, please.'"

DADDY PLEASE!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ycdgeE7.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It has sound, too.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Crazy how much more violent that is than the original

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

No Force kick, 2/5

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/izmojuki/status/1444348343388307457

I love a nice cargo/transport ship, and this is a really good example. But it suffers from the same thing most space transport concepts do - not enough cargo.

I mean, sure, if you took those containers out it looks like you could fit an entire Gozanti in there with room to spare. But I meant relatively speaking.

Most real cargo ships are like this:

It's one part ship to two or three parts cargo. Most designs I see have a ridiculously tiny cargo capacity.

Sure, most people designing them are making smuggler ships where it's small, high value cargo, but I'd like to see more serious haulers. Like the old bulk freighter we see outlined in the tweeted image:

And, of course, you have the designs which are more like long haul trucks:

I think this one I found on Artstation wins for sheer volume, though:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 17, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

no Last Lazer Master to be seen, 0/100

E. other than that I have no large objections. It could be an adequate work if said item could be disregarded. It should not.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 17, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The main things stopping Star Wars from going full cargo ship are that they're space ships so you can't exactly stack containers on top of the ship, and also that the modern standardized shipping container came into use a little after the main time period that Star Wars pulls its stylistic influence from.

I think plausibly the galaxy of Star Wars just is too big and disorganized to standardize shipping containers, especially when they're carrying things to and from and there's probably armies of longshoremen loading and unloading ships at every spaceport. It's probably also easier a lot of the time to carry cargo inside a large hull instead of exposing them to the void of space.

The Rebel transport kinda half-shields its cargo inside its football hull.

If there are standardized containers totally exposed to space and atmosphere, odds are that it's either some kind of proprietary design or there's some kind of authority forcing the standardization.

Another excuse Star Wars has is that so many of the stories take place in the middle of nowhere, on planets where it's probably not economical to even take big cargo ships, so the smaller scale excuses the smaller things with less capacity. Things are probably different in the mid-rim or the core worlds.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Throwing the cargo at lightspeed at its destination is surely the most efficient way.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

reignofevil posted:

Throwing the cargo at lightspeed at its destination is surely the most efficient way.

Disney presents the Argis Trade & Writing Unionists revolt! Will they destroy the republic? Can they be stopped? Starring the large cargo accelerator Rohnî Ray Gun and it's benevolent caretaker Mah'get That-Herr

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Most real cargo ships are like this:

Tbf I think Rebels got it fairly close to this with the Class 4 container ship here

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

a star wars picture

homies

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cross-Section posted:

Tbf I think Rebels got it fairly close to this with the Class 4 container ship here

That's the one I forgot :doh:

And it also a really good idea for regular shipping lanes. Though why the containers always have to be packed in a hollow design and the interior pressurised makes no drat sense logistically.

Han's bulk freighter, the Eravana was another big pusher I forgot to mention - mainly because it's such a non-character of a vessel.

All the containers are secured but still easily accessible by tugs or cargo droids or whatever spaceports use. But it's also not really something that you'd take down to the surface of a world.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think plausibly the galaxy of Star Wars just is too big and disorganized to standardize shipping containers, especially when they're carrying things to and from and there's probably armies of longshoremen loading and unloading ships at every spaceport. It's probably also easier a lot of the time to carry cargo inside a large hull instead of exposing them to the void of space.

With literally millions of sapient species and hundreds of millions of star systems, I can't even imagine how many different "standards" there are for moving things around. And ships seem incredibly cheap.

And, as you point out, the big rigs just aren't the focus of any of the stories told.

But it does make most of the "freighters" we see more well, this:

Han Solo: Man with a Van

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the problem I can't wrap my head around with both of those is that they both have plots written for them that involve having extensive internal cargo bays. So if even if they were designed to haul cargo externally, the writers don't exactly think of them as such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVz0eY-XkU

Weirdly, Rebels did actually go back around to demonstrate external cargo hauling capabilities for the classic 'light freighters' of Star Wars, which improves their carrying capacity by a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woLvomZ2Hmw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swwVOo456Q4

Might as well drop in the other fan theory as to how the Millennium Falcon could be better for working with cargo.

I think I've seen some things that also claim that the forward prongs house dual tractor beams for finely manipulating cargo, which'd be neat. Basically anything to make these weird mid-size ships good for something aside from high-speed apartments and gun platforms.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SlothfulCobra posted:

Might as well drop in the other fan theory as to how the Millennium Falcon could be better for working with cargo.

I think I've seen some things that also claim that the forward prongs house dual tractor beams for finely manipulating cargo, which'd be neat. Basically anything to make these weird mid-size ships good for something aside from high-speed apartments and gun platforms.

I've never seen this and I love it. Way more than the "escape pod we never bothered to replace" explanation from Solo. And the stupidly impractical starboard-side spaceship cockpit kind of makes sense this way (it's still stupid).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It also means the YT-1930 makes even less sense.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Given how a lot of ships come with an array of scanners and sensors to keep track of things, looking out the cockpit might not actually be all that effective when flying

Alternatively the 1930 wasn't designed for that kind of cargo hauling

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Vinylshadow posted:

Given how a lot of ships come with an array of scanners and sensors to keep track of things, looking out the cockpit might not actually be all that effective when flying

So basically you want space submarines?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is arguably even dumber because the pilot can't see left, right, or down.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hazo posted:

Playing Sqauadrons with a headset made me very aware of a deficiency of basically every TIE variant.

(The first thing I did when the game dropped me in a x-wing was to turn around and look at my magic trash can.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Hazo posted:

There's a huge set of official and fan art which is just "What if [existing vehicle] but stupider?"

What it X-wing, but engines on end of wings?

What if TIE, but only one wing?

What if Falcon, but can't see poo poo?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Owlbear Camus posted:

Playing Sqauadrons with a headset made me very aware of a deficiency of basically every TIE variant.

(The first thing I did when the game dropped me in a x-wing was to turn around and look at my magic trash can.)

Don't ask me what this one's called, I think it's just a kit bash, but it's one of the very few TIEs I've ever seen where the pilot can actually see what's around them.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

TIE Defender

Oh wait it is more phallic, i dunno lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, that’s not a stock Defender, the cockpit pod is totally different.