Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ff14 is a chill game to play on your sofa with a gamepad in your hands. Would hate to have to experience it hunched over a kb+m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hector Delgado posted:

I avoided Disco Elysium mainly due to the fact I couldn't stand how the main character looked. Not a fan of drunks.

Most drunks can't stand drunks either.

You know, because they drank so much poison they're incapable of the most basic actions.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Higher highs and lower lows than any other game

Haha loving classic.

I remember when MOBA games were getting big. I had a friend who insisted I play Heroes of Newerth with her. So I signed up, joined a game with her.

She stopped playing with me after that one match. They had an item in the game that was like a woodcutter's axe. It cut down the trees in the game, simple.

At the end of the match she asked where the hell I was. She went to our base and saw I spent the thirty odd minute match clearing all the trees at the corner of it.

So yeah, I think I won MOBAs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vic posted:

DOTA would be perfectly playable on a gamepad what are you talking about. It's on a loving 2d plane man.

Also DOTA and other team based games are bad because it requires teamplay. It's "highs" are "everybody played the game as they should" and lows are "everyone had sex with your mother and now refuse to play the game"

These games are like a daily commute. Nobody cuts you off and your day's not ruined. Yay.

Also, no one will ever teach you how you're supposed to play and everyone expects you to already know.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I’m not playing a game that
1. Can’t be paused
2. Needs me to commit to a 20-minute match or get penalised
3. Makes me play with and against MOBA players

Also the character designs for women in these games are just as bad as Korean MMOs

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cat’s out in the rain waiting to be let in and you’re like gotta feed all these creeps to the jungle or some poo poo idk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is my last Disco Elysium post. I somehow managed to beat the game without unlocking a single achievement.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Barudak posted:

This is my last Disco Elysium post. I somehow managed to beat the game without unlocking a single achievement.

There should be an achievement for that.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
People like to dunk on fary cry for not letting them kill Trumpists but it's totally understandable why Ubisoft decided not to let you do that also far cry 6 is a great game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

would it be a controversial statement to say that gaming is probably the best it's ever been?

gaming will never get worse because the backlog of unplayed games increases every day.

its doesn't matter if there are 99 terrible games released every day when one good game is also released. we have reached the point where no human could ever hope to play every good game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaming is real good now because loading is way shorter. We have exited the tyranny of the disc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Barudak posted:

Gaming is real good now because loading is way shorter. We have exited the tyranny of the disc.

And entered the tyranny of always-online single player games, where instead you get to wait 3-4 seconds every time you click a menu item.

Seriously, what the gently caress.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Barudak posted:

Seriously send that save to the devs, they need to honor you for that.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I liked FFXIV but I can't commit the sheer amount of time required to play it.

WoW was always good (after like...wrath, I guess) at giving you short, achievable goals and largely letting you do whatever after you hit max level. They hosed this in later expansions with the sheer volume of dailies but even then you could still get buy doing a bare minimum

I played FFXIV for like 70 hours and I just reached the first expansion. That is not a game that I can actually play, it just doesn't work

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Personally, City of Heroes still ruined all other MMOs for me

:haibrower:

City of Heroes is the only good MMO, and I will not be convinced otherwise.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

abigserve posted:

Imo multiplayer gaming is actually in one of the worst places I can remember

* No good battlefield
* They did a good CoD and then deprecated it
* No good battle royal
* No popular competitive RTS
* The less said about WoW the better

the worst thing about current multiplayer gaming is that every game wants to be the one that you play exclusively and as a result they're all full of poo poo annoying leveling up and stats and buying passes

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I started playing FF14 with some friends. It's my first MMO and it is really boring. It's just an incredibly dry, fetch quest laden RPG. It has mountains of text and character names for even the simplest task, insuring I will never be able to follow any plot twists, if indeed there are any. Currently it just looks like a generic RPG story.

But that's kind of what I expected of MMORPGS. What I didn't expect was that the MM part doesn't really play a role. I thought I'd be roaming the world with my buddies and interacting with people in some way, but there's no reason to be in a group except for specially marked dungeons that pop up now and then. The "massive" part of the multiplayer really has no impact, outside of towns where I can see everyone's sexy cat girls in the town square. Other players basically just serve as window dressing.

Dark Souls honestly feels like it has more of a massively multiplayer atmosphere. With all the blood stains, messages and various phantoms it has both players-as-window dressing and way more player interaction. And it doesn't require a monthly subscription. I was really hoping companies would be using their massive MMO server infrastructure and subscription fees to do something interesting.

snowshovelboy
Apr 13, 2006

If a game isn't on xbox game pass, I'm not gonna play it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nice Van My Man posted:

I started playing FF14 with some friends. It's my first MMO and it is really boring. It's just an incredibly dry, fetch quest laden RPG. It has mountains of text and character names for even the simplest task, insuring I will never be able to follow any plot twists, if indeed there are any. Currently it just looks like a generic RPG story.

But that's kind of what I expected of MMORPGS. What I didn't expect was that the MM part doesn't really play a role. I thought I'd be roaming the world with my buddies and interacting with people in some way, but there's no reason to be in a group except for specially marked dungeons that pop up now and then. The "massive" part of the multiplayer really has no impact, outside of towns where I can see everyone's sexy cat girls in the town square. Other players basically just serve as window dressing.

Dark Souls honestly feels like it has more of a massively multiplayer atmosphere. With all the blood stains, messages and various phantoms it has both players-as-window dressing and way more player interaction. And it doesn't require a monthly subscription. I was really hoping companies would be using their massive MMO server infrastructure and subscription fees to do something interesting.

"MMOs" are not massive open worlds for people to interact. thats what people thought in the 90s. the genre is now about wasting as much time as humanly possible.

if you want a real MMO experience you need to start playing Survival Games. Ark, DayZ, Minecraft, Conan, Empyrion, etc.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The best MMO is dark souls after you hacked in an infinite amount of red soapstones and have a funny gimmick costume

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The best mmo is everquest

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

snowshovelboy posted:

If a game isn't on xbox game pass, I'm not gonna play it.

Same, if a film isnt on Netflix I refuse to watch it lmao

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

the worst thing about current multiplayer gaming is that every game wants to be the one that you play exclusively and as a result they're all full of poo poo annoying leveling up and stats and buying passes

I like this because I'm more likely to play one or two games for a long time than jump around much, saying that I've never looked at the rocket league pass

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
MMO's, as they used to be universally understood, are a dead concept I think now. There's no way you can re-create the experience of logging into Everquest, Ultima Online, WoW or any of the other wild early- and mid-00's MMO's. Gamers today won't accept an experience of logging in with nary a tutorial, basic mobs that require a group to fight, and no match-making ability. That's where the MMO part came in - you HAD to connect with other people in the game to accomplish poo poo, or you weren't doing anything interesting.

Things nowadays are much more streamlined. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but I do think something is lost by not forcing players to interact in order to group up and accomplish things rather than just letting them click a queue button and getting loaded in with 4 other randos for some rando dungeon.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Lucas Archer posted:

MMO's, as they used to be universally understood, are a dead concept I think now. There's no way you can re-create the experience of logging into Everquest, Ultima Online, WoW or any of the other wild early- and mid-00's MMO's. Gamers today won't accept an experience of logging in with nary a tutorial, basic mobs that require a group to fight, and no match-making ability. That's where the MMO part came in - you HAD to connect with other people in the game to accomplish poo poo, or you weren't doing anything interesting.

Things nowadays are much more streamlined. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but I do think something is lost by not forcing players to interact in order to group up and accomplish things rather than just letting them click a queue button and getting loaded in with 4 other randos for some rando dungeon.

The evolution of MMOs make me wonder if the antisocial movement became the big focus group for developers.

Like yeah, there were lots of people who joined guilds and had a friend to play with in WoW, but how many more players solo-leveled by themselves for Blizzard to decide to create an entire matchmaking system that game them a chance to experience dungeons/raids?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tetrabor posted:

The evolution of MMOs make me wonder if the antisocial movement became the big focus group for developers.

Like yeah, there were lots of people who joined guilds and had a friend to play with in WoW, but how many more players solo-leveled by themselves for Blizzard to decide to create an entire matchmaking system that game them a chance to experience dungeons/raids?

Several orders of magnitude more. WoW has been rewarded in the millions for making the process more casual-friendly at every step of the way.

Like the whole old order of MMOs, probably including WoW itself eventually, died on the altar of more hardcore raiding guild content of making super ultra raid bosses that the big nolifer guilds beat a dozen times within hours of release and then go back to the forums and complain about lacking content, while the last expansion's millions of dollars of dev-hours worth of dungeons and raids sit around empty and obsolete.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The only good MMO ever to exist is eve online, and that's in spite of having the worst gameplay of any MMO ever

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
The only online games i like are where its you and one or a few friends playing co-op. Outward is a real fun game for this. Comp stomps in RTSes or Civ are fun too. Destiny 2 was fun too but only with friends. Whenever I've tried a PVP game everyone playing seems to be a complete psychopath.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

:haibrower:

City of Heroes is the only good MMO, and I will not be convinced otherwise.

City of Heroes was not perfect, but it was close. The final form of the "Hey, you want to get together and smash some guys?" style MMO. It could have used some more enemy varieties and late-game content, but it was fun enough to just make another character when you hit the cap and do it again.

I had the best worst CoH character: an Ice/FF controller. I reduced enemy damage rate to the point that it was below everyone's regeneration rate, but couldn't do any damage at all...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

City of Heroes was not perfect, but it was close. The final form of the "Hey, you want to get together and smash some guys?" style MMO. It could have used some more enemy varieties and late-game content, but it was fun enough to just make another character when you hit the cap and do it again.

I had the best worst CoH character: an Ice/FF controller. I reduced enemy damage rate to the point that it was below everyone's regeneration rate, but couldn't do any damage at all...

I had a Mercenaries/Force Fields Mastermind, considered apparently the worst possible build you could pick for it. Still a Mastermind though, so I could solo everything and stunlock most bosses in knockback with Force Bolt.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

abigserve posted:

Imo multiplayer gaming is actually in one of the worst places I can remember

* No good battlefield
* They did a good CoD and then deprecated it
* No good battle royal
* No popular competitive RTS
* The less said about WoW the better

also:
  • Every online game is about automatic matchmaking now, so instead of sticking to one server and getting to know its community you're constantly surrounded by anonymous strangers you've never met before and will never meet in the future
  • No community servers mean no community moderators and most gaming megacorps don't care to spend money moderating the hateful racists etc out of their game chats.
  • "eSports"

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I don't like playing online games, even with friends it does not click with me and I don't like it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think you can get enough of the old school MMO experience in FF14’s eureka/Bozja to appreciate modern game design which is to say old MMOs are best remembered via brief glimpses

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
FF14 has the problem that every expansion adds new skills and mechanics to every job, but they try and keep about the same number of hotkeys at endgame so you don't end up with 12 hotbars of stuff after the fourth expansion. So to achieve this they prune and simplify the earlygame skill trees. Meaning every time a new expansion gets released, the leveling experience gets more boring/simplified until you're spending 2 expansions just pressing 3 buttons because all the complicated/engaging mechanics for your job are only unlocked in the latest expansion.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No not really, their “pruning” is to add traits at a later level that makes your poo poo simpler while also adding new poo poo to try and tamp down on the amount of buttons. Classes like BLM are relatively unchanged 1-50, which sucks because it was boring 1-50 and is still the same (not fun).

The earlier levels are mostly untouched outside of the more major sweeping changes and they always end up benefitting lower levels anyways, such that the game is just getting easier for lower level players.

Also in SHB they made low-level tanks a lot funner and better by giving them aoe damage abilities when, before, only two of them had reliable aoe damage.

DRG needs an early aoe no joke

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I had a Mercenaries/Force Fields Mastermind, considered apparently the worst possible build you could pick for it. Still a Mastermind though, so I could solo everything and stunlock most bosses in knockback with Force Bolt.

I had one of those back in the day. I don't think it was the worst possible MM build you could make, but it was probably the single most boring one.

Force Bolt was always a critically underrated power tho.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yb5CINrC5E&t=611s

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

City of Heroes rules extremely hard, and if anyone hasn't tried it out but generally likes MMOs, there are a bunch of private servers now. The most popular one is Homecoming.

I played a ton when Homecoming first came out a couple years ago and had a blast. My main guy was a blue-side Corruptor with dual pistols/dark miasma, maybe not the strongest possible build but I still had a great time with it. Ended up doing a lot of the high-end Incarnate stuff with a goon group, too. Just a purely fun game all around.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i miss MUDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

fridge corn posted:

The best mmo is everquest

It was ugly, poorly designed, and had maybe the most punishingly brutal leveling system ever, but at least interesting things actually happened in it unlike theme park MMOs.