Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is a Spyder safe zone. Make a thread if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Mounted a can. Now I can get farther into the woods to have a breakdown/get eaten by a bear

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are you sure the subframe can take that kind of load??

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Slavvy posted:

Yeah the mounts for the rack go through the fender/underseat-tray/whatever directly to the same part of the frame that would support a pillion. It's also only 1.75 gallons so it weighs like 15lbs max.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:thejoke:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Hah, if I find anything else bad on the Spyder I’ll post it up but there probably won’t be much to say.

I’ll probably let the dealer handle most stuff, I’m not really set up for working on half-ton vehicles and also don’t want to worry about my wife riding the kind of hacks that I put together.

Also literally every procedure in the shop manual begins and ends with “hook the vehicle up to the B.U.D.S.(tm) software and run procedure X-Y-Z.”

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I did it.

Electrical tomorrow. Want to wire the tail light back up, wire in my loving 12v adapter and button this up because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_TUQM3DQlA

This swingarm bearing job was the most educational bike thing yet, probably until I crack the engine at some point, but it *really* took all the patience I had.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 16, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Oh come on, it’s not like it’s a Suzuki.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Mission accomplished re. tyre fitting, they didn't even mount them the wrong way round or anything :toot:

Still got to put them back on the bike but man that can wait till tomorrow. I'm just psyched to finally have new rubber.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh come on, it’s not like it’s a Suzuki.

Thats why that's a valid question :colbert:

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:

Much cussing later I finally got this bastard out. Now just got to wait for the replacement to arrive.

Never buy frame sliders that replace engine mount bolts.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Congrats! :toot:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m wrapping up the DRZ and one of the last things on the menu was a new chain. I went down from 14/48 (I think?) to 15/41. Chain is 110 links and slack measured out to be around 1-1/8 or 1-1/4”. It was definitely on the tight side at first before I settled on the current tension but it seems to go real slack real quick. The shell axle spacer adjusters on the back are set to two notches past “3”.

I think it’s doing ok, the wheel seems fairly true and when viewed from above the chain runs straight. That said, there is a LOT of weird clack. I’m prepared that a chain on a wheel that isn’t propelling a bike is going to whip and clack but I don’t remember either my Ninja 250 or 650 having this amount of rattle, curious if this bears looking into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJDCNpX7wE0

Apologies, I know it’s super sketch to run a bike in gear when it’s suspended, even if the front is chocked, but I tried to check everything as quickly as possible . Even then I was super worried about running this without the case guard up front since it’s a clip link (also the first clip link I’ve ever done) so I killed it right after this video.

I’m going to go through everything tip to toe tomorrow with a torque wrench and locktite and take it back out for a spin around the neighborhood to see if the chain is still buzzing but I figured I’d ask here to see if this is the kind of chain clack I should expect given I have it strung up and it’s not under tension.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

I’m wrapping up the DRZ and one of the last things on the menu was a new chain. I went down from 14/48 (I think?) to 15/41. Chain is 110 links and slack measured out to be around 1-1/8 or 1-1/4”. It was definitely on the tight side at first before I settled on the current tension but it seems to go real slack real quick. The shell axle spacer adjusters on the back are set to two notches past “3”.

I think it’s doing ok, the wheel seems fairly true and when viewed from above the chain runs straight. That said, there is a LOT of weird clack. I’m prepared that a chain on a wheel that isn’t propelling a bike is going to whip and clack but I don’t remember either my Ninja 250 or 650 having this amount of rattle, curious if this bears looking into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJDCNpX7wE0

Apologies, I know it’s super sketch to run a bike in gear when it’s suspended, even if the front is chocked, but I tried to check everything as quickly as possible . Even then I was super worried about running this without the case guard up front since it’s a clip link (also the first clip link I’ve ever done) so I killed it right after this video.

I’m going to go through everything tip to toe tomorrow with a torque wrench and locktite and take it back out for a spin around the neighborhood to see if the chain is still buzzing but I figured I’d ask here to see if this is the kind of chain clack I should expect given I have it strung up and it’s not under tension.

Does it do it under acceleration or engine braking or cruising?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I haven’t taken it out of the shed yet, it was dark when I finished so I’ll do all that tomorrow.

This was a 120 link that I ground down to 110 I should add, so I’m also not ignoring the possibility that I hosed that up somehow? Even though I don’t think I did. I just removed the excess length and clipped the new end link together with the front with a clip master. I’m just very very skittish with chains above all else. Literally the last thing I want is to experience a chain fuckup.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 20, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Idk why you're running it on the center stand but it probably won't tell you anything about the chain, just a good way to lose a finger.

From here it looks fine. Make sure the adjusters are the same from side to side, try actually riding the bike.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Update: chain fine, 9 fingat left

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah not arguing it wasn’t sketchy, just wanted to make sure the clip worked as expected given it was the first time I’d done one. I explicitly didn’t stick any dangly fleshy bits near the drivetrain but point still stands, I’m not dying on a “no i’m safe you guys really” hill after posting a video of a suspended drivetrain in gear.

I’ll give it a rip tomorrow, was mostly concerned about the buzzing/rattle which I guess everyone has sort of dismissed which i’ll interpret as “that’s probably what it sounds like when it’s up on a lift you idiot, we’re not psychic”.

Chris Knight posted:

Update: chain fine, 9 fingat left

Technically the fingers weren’t even the closest dangly bit to the chain 😌

but chains see microscopic poo poo caught in them all the time so ..

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You've discovered the One Weird Trick (TM) to chain cleaning

(don't do this)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

Yeah not arguing it wasn’t sketchy, just wanted to make sure the clip worked as expected given it was the first time I’d done one. I explicitly didn’t stick any dangly fleshy bits near the drivetrain but point still stands, I’m not dying on a “no i’m safe you guys really” hill after posting a video of a suspended drivetrain in gear.

I’ll give it a rip tomorrow, was mostly concerned about the buzzing/rattle which I guess everyone has sort of dismissed which i’ll interpret as “that’s probably what it sounds like when it’s up on a lift you idiot, we’re not psychic”.

Technically the fingers weren’t even the closest dangly bit to the chain 😌

but chains see microscopic poo poo caught in them all the time so ..

Dirt bike chains have an alarming amount of slack the first time you notice it, to account for the comparatively long suspension travel. New drivetrain parts are noisy as well. Also there’s a bunch of noises your bike makes that sound really loud when you’re not in motion/wearing earplugs/in gear, so it could be that.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Also running a single-cylinder engine at idle, of course you'll see the chain being jerked around.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Martytoof posted:

that sounds terrible, have you actually ridden it around yet?

when i first put on my dirt set it had a stock SM sprocket on and it rode like dog poo poo. absolutely no pep in any gear and could not wheelie in first

immediately switched to 15/47 for the dirt set and 15/44 for the SM set

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not with the new sprockets. I'm not really looking for a super torque-y performance but didn't think it would be THAT bad going down from 15/44 to 15/41. Worst case it's a few bucks to swap the rear and a new chain -- all a learning experience :)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Dog Case posted:

Mounted a can. Now I can get farther into the woods to have a breakdown/get eaten by a bear

noice! I snagged a new rack that'll mount rotopaxes too, but I mostly got it because I wanted to get some side mounts to fix Mosko Moto auxpox to since I don't always like riding with a backpack and the auxpox are small / big enough to carry baltikas from a russian market on my way home, yet are small enough to fit under my R40 when I camp

might do a valve check / adjust this weekend, but work's been hectic so who knows

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DRZ is DONE! I went through tip to toe buttoning everything up, torquing to spec, checking and re-checking connections and cables. Only thing I need is a cotter pin for the rear wheel but I’ll grab one from the hardware store tomorrow.

The buzzing turned out to be the chain rubbing on the rubber chain guard that hangs beneath the swingarm by the rear sprocket. I shimmed both sides a little with washers and I don’t see the chain touching the sides anymore.

Took it out for a quick run and it feels GREAT! Just in time for the cold weather :|

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Find dirt and ride slower

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat martytroof, you got a lot done on the DRZ in not that much time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

DRZ is DONE! I went through tip to toe buttoning everything up, torquing to spec, checking and re-checking connections and cables. Only thing I need is a cotter pin for the rear wheel but I’ll grab one from the hardware store tomorrow.

The buzzing turned out to be the chain rubbing on the rubber chain guard that hangs beneath the swingarm by the rear sprocket. I shimmed both sides a little with washers and I don’t see the chain touching the sides anymore.

Took it out for a quick run and it feels GREAT! Just in time for the cold weather :|

:hellyeah:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks dudes. This was super fun despite all my complaining. I made some really (really) boneheaded decisions along the way but I think I really learned a lot. 2022 is for riding the poo poo out of the DRZ but with 43k (km) on the clock I think I want to take some time next year to crack the engine and inspect everything. I'm budgeting a thousand or so for a rebuild kit in my future anyway, though I don't necessarily want to take it off the road if it doesn't need it. At the same time I know they're pretty bulletproof but I'd rather it didn't grenade itself on the road and cause more expensive damage but I guess that's the risk you take with older higher mileage motors. I will throw the kickstart in there next year so that'll give me an opportunity to crack the block and inspect the guts at least. I'll definitely be back with requests for advice.

I know I asked some stupid questions but I couldn't have done it without you nerds.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Refreshing a "new to you" bike is beneficial in so many ways. First you get a refreshed bike with new seals and bearings, making the suspension drastically improved as well as tightening up all the slop in the wheels and linkage. It's really nice to have a baseline of maintenance at the starting of your ownership.

Second is the added bonus you get is learning the inner workings of your bike and just getting familiar with the disassembly and reassembly process. I've memorized my bike and it comes apart and goes back together much quicker now. Wires, fasteners, gaskets, whatchamacallits; they become less foreign and if something falls off it's much easier to identify vs trying to guess where it comes from.

Nice work, more go ride it and drop it multiple times a day.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Motorcycle adjacent. I just finished replacing the 12x20 canopy on the carport that the bikes live under. The original tarp lasted 18 or 19 years, which is a goddamn miracle. I could see sunlight through the weave this summer, and it finally tore at the ridge a month ago. The first big storm of the year is coming in (I hope) so the time was now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Chained my bike to my house for the first time, and also fuckin dropped it trying to push it backwards up the curb rather than turn it around on my lawn

Won't make that mistake again, gently caress

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You know we have the technology to pick up and move houses these days right?

Just sayin :colbert:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://youtu.be/ClJf-QtFUZA

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol california

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The owner paid $400k to move it but is turning it into a multi-unit rental?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In San Francisco a two-story Victorian house like that would rent for eh maybe $12,000 a month, and probably more if split up into multiple units, so

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Jesus tittyfucking christ. Scariest ride in quite a while.

So i made an appointment to get some tires put on. I've been putting it off for weeks because of work and such, so i could plan it in my vacation.

The day comes, and it is very windy and very rainy and somewhat cold. Nothing i haven't dealt with before. The Michelin Pilot Road that were on the bike are very good in the rain and cold.

Now, the ride back home was a whole different story. The rain stopped, but the wind got even worse. And with still soaking wet roads, strong crosswinds and very slick brand new tires, the ride back home was dreadful. I got blown all over the place, barely daring to lean into the wind because new tires on wet road. I thought i was gonna lose traction and be blown sideways off the road. Certainly felt like i was constantly on the verge of losing traction. Next time it's this bad weather and i gotta get new tires put on, i might consider just postponing it.

Got some Battlax T32 on the SV650s now. They come with 2 years of puncture 'warranty' - if you get a puncture within 2 years, they give you back your money (or a fraction of it, depending on the thread depth remaining). Sounded pretty attractive to me since i already had punctures twice within 2 years of buying the tire.
Also some fresh brake pads. Dragging a bit more than i like, i suspect that the calipers might need some refreshing too but i'll see after running them in for a few hundred km.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 23, 2021

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
The Oldwing must be burning oil like crazy because it doesn't leak a drop on the driveway but I found it 1.5qt low this morning. That explains why the oil light was on at idle I guess. It doesn't smoke except when it's been sitting a very long time, like > 2 months, so I'm not sure what's up. Valve guides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

The owner paid $400k to move it but is turning it into a multi-unit rental?

In addition to what sagebrush said, SF also has a pretty rich architectural history which was largely destroyed in 1906. Anything that exists from then will likely be marked for preservation by the city. Looks like this house got moved a couple blocks away onto another lot the owner has (after they moved that building to make some room), and they’re going to build an 8-story 48-unit building in its place. So 400k is chump change in this scenario. Housing in SF is even more hosed up than the rest of CA. ~63% of the city is renting so ownership is super consolidated and prop 13 is on a massive feedback loop.