Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wouldn't the middle of the venn diagram be a smug Chaos Dwarf? I guess maybe they don't have flying machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-3-kislev-campaign-mechanics/

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do appreciate that CA seems to have taken it personally about the whole lack of updates complaints by just drowning us with content in the last week or so.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm sure I'll have favorites in practice, but so far I've been excited to play every race they've showcased.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

This feels incredibly limp coming after the Tzeench stuff. The whole "battle for political control" mechanic feels more like a system of avoiding punishment than seeking rewards. I do wanna know more about the effect of those Great Winter storms they mentioned, though, and the Frost Court does look like a nice quality-of-life upgrade to get more relevant lord/hero choices.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 18, 2021

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I like how they are going deeper into simple things like "recruit a new wizard" to make it so that you can train and specialize them how you want, and then they're in your recruitment pool. It'd be nice if more factions got something similar. Maybe only available when you have a tier 5 magic building or something.

I'm very excited to play it on release (and every day after), but I sometime try to imagine what this game might look like in 5 years when they've had time to rework and polish all sorts of things a dev would normally never have the time or budget to do. So wild.

my next big PC-related purchase will be a 4k ultra wide screen monitor, basically just for WH3/Immortal Empires.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
There are already basically identical things to the harsh winters, in the tomb kings sandstorms and in the rite of Sotek. I’m interested to see other ways for confederation to play out in factions that can’t afford too much infighting.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 18, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Skrolk is the Lustriabowl through and through. The recent(i.e. last year) plague changes for Pestilens are super strong and last time I tried him I shotgunned through Lustria on ME VH within 50ish turns. Plagues every 15 that you don't take attrition from are crazy.

Skrolks a very fun campaign I can recommend and the plague changes are great, it's the most skaveny thing you can do to leave some minor settlements and spawning grounds alive in the middle of your territory to use as your permanent plague and food sources and leaving the defenders permanently at 1% unit strength.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I want to play as heretic kislev. 0 devotion. Just give me constant chaos invasions

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
ooh, more news coming tomorrow

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I wanted to ask, is there a reason to play Warhammer 1 if you have Warhammer 2? I am currently playing the first one for the first time but I just saw that 2 is basically 1 with more content and nothing really removed?

Also I've only played the historical games upto Shogun 2 but man I can see why people love the Warhammer games so much. The factions feel way more different and unique than the historical games.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ulio posted:

I wanted to ask, is there a reason to play Warhammer 1 if you have Warhammer 2? I am currently playing the first one for the first time but I just saw that 2 is basically 1 with more content and nothing really removed?
There are some really minor reasons (the game handles city colonization differently and a few other things) but the benefits of just playing Mortal Empires (ME) via WH2 far outweigh anything you lose.

Ulio posted:

Also I've only played the historical games upto Shogun 2 but man I can see why people love the Warhammer games so much. The factions feel way more different and unique than the historical games.
Yeah its really awesome.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

There are some really minor reasons (the game handles city colonization differently and a few other things) but the benefits of just playing Mortal Empires (ME) via WH2 far outweigh anything you lose.

I had a similar question, thanks for answering. Is there anything else I should know before I start playing WH2? I'm new to Warhammer, but not to Total War games.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

I had a similar question, thanks for answering. Is there anything else I should know before I start playing WH2? I'm new to Warhammer, but not to Total War games.
Thats a loaded question but general things I think are really important with regards to WH2, in no particular order:
  • Before you uninstall WH1 make sure you sign up for all the FLC off of steam (I had an issue (and have seen other people report it too) where Steam wants WH1 installed to add the FLC to your library, its weird)
  • There is a bunch of free content on Total War Access
  • Dont play with the Battle difficulty turned up because it gives the AI silly advantages in melee combat
  • Dont expand too fast; you need time for your core settlements to grow a bit before you start taking more
  • Learn to use ambush stance to your advantage; sometimes the AI plays cat-and-mouse with you by keeping their armies out of the movement range of your armies but if you go into Ambush Stance they forget you exist (unless your army gets spotted by an agent or other (even friendly!) nearby army before the enemy army gets to move)
  • Skaven and Beastman armies can ambush you on their turn by attacking, which can be really annoying; this can be mitigated by going into Ambush Stance (risky) or Encamped Stance (reduces their chances of the offensive ambush working)
  • Ogres, my lord. They are as strong, as they are stupid
  • Use extremely fast units (dogs/wolves/light cav) to flank or chase off ranged units then to chase routing units to ensure they keep routing - they're not great in a standup fight but used in their role they do great work
  • Public Order is designed to rubber-band towards zero; having it be positive is good but not required, especially early; revolts, if you plan for them, are a decent way to get some cash and army XP
  • Walls go on everything. EVERYTHING. Every. Single. Minor. Settlement. (via the garrison building)
  • Growth is slow by default, sometimes horribly slow; having high PO and growth buildings early can be a big advantage early
  • Related to the prior bullet point, the AI gets growth bonuses and can skyrocket their settlements to higher tiers; settlements go down a tier when you conquer them, but feel free to let the AI build up some provinces for you
  • I dont recommend modding the game too much, at least at first, but this mod to revert the bad growth changes is widely regarded as reasonable and not wildly unbalanced (because it restores previous CA-dictated numbers) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2427521558
  • Dont fret if you have trouble with something in the game as there is a lot going on, justpost if you have a question and you'll probably get half a dozen replies within 15 minutes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 18, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Battle difficulty is way overhyped by nerd telephone. Hard is way more fun than normal once you have a grasp on battles. Even VH. Legend cheese is optional and I strongly suspect people who hate VH difficulty have spent more time watching legendoftw than playing VH.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Battle difficulty is way overhyped by nerd telephone. Hard is way more fun than normal once you have a grasp on battles.
Well yeah but that is advice for newbies, but even as a vet I play with battle difficulty on hard at most because the bonuses are, in fact, silly.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Range heavy factions I'll play VH, but bump it down to Hard for melee given the current range heavy slant.

Everything is quite winnable on Legendary, it's just a slog of micromanagement as losses matter so much.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Wouldn't the middle of the venn diagram be a smug Chaos Dwarf? I guess maybe they don't have flying machines.

The middle of the diagram would be an enormous hat rising from the depths. The chorfs have hat-based anti-aircraft technology.

Edit: Hat.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 18, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Confirmation that Boris is dead* and I wonder what, "Ogres and worse to the east" means exactly.

*For now.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mordja posted:

Confirmation that Boris is dead* and I wonder what, "Ogres and worse to the east" means exactly.

*For now.

Chaos Dwarfs, Greenskins, and Kurgan.

I swear it read “to the west” earlier this morning. I thought that was a weird way to describe Troll Country. Did they go back and fix a typo or did I hallucinate that?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, I guess I figured Chorfs were up north, with the rest of Chaos and all that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Chaos Dwarfs, Greenskins, and Kurgan.

I swear it read “to the west” earlier this morning. I thought that was a weird way to describe Troll Country. Did they go back and fix a typo or did I hallucinate that?

It was a typo.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mordja posted:

Oh, I guess I figured Chorfs were up north, with the rest of Chaos and all that.

Chorfs are in the Darklands, basically north/northeast of Snickh's starting point in ME, but currently off the ME map.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Battle difficulty is way overhyped by nerd telephone. Hard is way more fun than normal once you have a grasp on battles. Even VH. Legend cheese is optional and I strongly suspect people who hate VH difficulty have spent more time watching legendoftw than playing VH.

VH sucks rear end if you want to do anything melee heavy, its needless headache and a lovely way to do things. The mod that just changes the bonuses to ward save is honestly a thousand times better if you need that extra challenge to get enjoyment out of the game. The game is designed for normal/normal, everything over that is because coding good AI is hard and everyone has different ideas of "fun". But, with that said, making higher difficulties specifically penalize metas that are already "weak" compared to the dominate metas is just rear end.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:ok:

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I have played a fair bit of VH and honestly it sucks rear end for real, you don't have to cheese it as bad as LOTW does but it is a bummer. It doesn't change anything about AI strategies but what it does do is warp unit dynamics so badly in a way that rewards unit types that were already the best in the game (SE lords, heroes and monsters as well as missile infantry) and trashes the unit types that already aren't too hot (infantry and heavy cavalry). It's just not fun to me to have the enemy swordsmen be rendered into mulching machines that you have to kill down to 10 or less entities while my depth guard gets space jam dunked by clan rats. Hard is the sweet spot for me

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Most games are less fun at the highest difficulty because it requires you to play optimally which is rarely the funnest way to play. In WH2 that means a lot of cheesy poo poo and a lot lot lot of darkshards.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm assuming that Katarin starts in Kislev with Kostaltyn in Praag, so who gets Erengrad?

Also I couldn't quite understand what Kislev actually looks like. They cited the huge cities but also mentioned the many many small villages as if that was somehow different from what we already got.

Also, Atamans seem interesting. Province governors a la 3k that you can bring to the battlefield in a pinch? Am I missing something there? Because they have already mentioned that Ice Witches and [something I can't remember] are lords for Kislev, so not sure how the 3rd lord type will work out. And they are keeping some of the Ungol naming system it looks like, even if not the horse archery.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 18, 2021

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

What interests me is this, "Between these great areas are scores of smaller towns and villages, scratching out a living and funding the war efforts with men, farms, and weapons." that's not how the map currently looks so that means they're changing it heavily and there's not a ton of room to do that. I really hope they shrink some of the more redundant areas to expand some other areas. The worlds edge mountains for example should be a series of goat paths for underway armies and inaccessible to other races with just the karaks exposed to regular travel. You could save a lot of space by getting rid of the redundant passes.

I'd love to see the underway map made where any race can enter it through certain points then just having multiple settlements in the center of the mountains only accessible via the underway. You could remove the underway stance in areas it's not supposed to be also because now it's going to be a physical map.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

I'm assuming that Katarin starts in Kislev with Kostaltyn in Praag, so who gets Erengrad?
I'm guessing a DLC lord. Though Katarin is supposedly on an expedition so I could see her starting outside of the Kislev proper, maybe?

Ravenfood posted:

Also I couldn't quite understand what Kislev actually looks like. They cited the huge cities but also mentioned the many many small villages as if that was somehow different from
Yeah I was a little confused by this too, I wonder if they are going to have fewer but bigger cities rather than standard province capitals and minor settlements?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume the big cities will just have more slots.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ulio posted:

WH is great for that but I like the historical games too, sometimes it's nice to set up a gunline or whatever without having to worry about some dickhead on a dragon bowling them all over the place and munching them, or a firestorm incinerating them, or a bunch of coked up ratmen appearing out the ground or or or

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

Also I couldn't quite understand what Kislev actually looks like. They cited the huge cities but also mentioned the many many small villages as if that was somehow different from

That's kinda how irl Russia works. There are huge cities like Moscow and Saint Petersburg, but also a ton of small cities and agricultural land.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah its really awesome.

Ok thanks good to know.

Alctel posted:

WH is great for that but I like the historical games too, sometimes it's nice to set up a gunline or whatever without having to worry about some dickhead on a dragon bowling them all over the place and munching them, or a firestorm incinerating them, or a bunch of coked up ratmen appearing out the ground or or or

Ya I still like them. I just did a huge campaign of Empire, I just wish they factions felt bit more unique but also like I said maybe they did that for the later games the most recent historical one I have played is Shogun 2.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's kinda how irl Russia works. There are huge cities like Moscow and Saint Petersburg, but also a ton of small cities and agricultural land.

Sure but what does that look like mechanically? Is Kislev 3 provinces with lots of regions in each? Is it a ton of small provinces with a t3 max capital with 3 t5 max megacities as their own provinces? They made it sound like more provinces than usual for the space.

E: vvvv yeah.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 18, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Kislev seems like it's the 'basic' faction for WH3

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Sure but what does that look like mechanically? Is Kislev 3 provinces with lots of regions in each? Is it a ton of small provinces with a t3 max capital with 3 t5 max megacities as their own provinces? They made it sound like more provinces than usual for the space.

E: vvvv yeah.

Maybe they play a bit like Wood Elves, with the large cities having 20 slots or whatever and the rural areas only having one or two.

Edit: that might also play into the "Bulwark against Chaos" theme, as you could lose lots of "regional" territory with only minor consequences and so long as you hold your main cities, you can always push them back and regain your losses and quickly repair the single buildings that get razed.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 18, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ravenfood posted:

I don't know how exactly this will look like. But it seems to imply at the very least that the region will be different from the normal province capital + small settlements regions. Think Athel Loren.

Which again brings me to the point I've stated several times: Seeing the campaign map (maps??) is the thing I look forward to the most.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Ravenfood posted:

Also I couldn't quite understand what Kislev actually looks like. They cited the huge cities but also mentioned the many many small villages as if that was somehow different from what we already got.

Also, Atamans seem interesting. Province governors a la 3k that you can bring to the battlefield in a pinch? Am I missing something there? Because they have already mentioned that Ice Witches and [something I can't remember] are lords for Kislev, so not sure how the 3rd lord type will work out. And they are keeping some of the Ungol naming system it looks like, even if not the horse archery.

DLC lord to be named, presumably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
mods that limit the players army compared to the AI is the way to go

No cheating stats, just up hill battles every time