Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Really? Mine says Oct 26th

I took too long to decide which I was going to buy. The date slipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So uh, will the AirPods be in stores next Tuesday? Is it better to just get the pros on sale?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

my late 2013 macbook pro with an 2.3 i7 16gb ram has a trade-in value of... $340... hmm

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Take it there is going to be a wait before these new chips pop up in minis?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Fuuuuuck. I kept watching the delivery date slip further and further away.

I finally got my order in, but it's gonna be November 24-December 2.

At least I'll have a chance to see people's reviews by then, I guess, but this still sucks.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Milosh posted:

If I just want to do basic recording and dicking around in garageband. I don't need the new Pro do I?

Nope, I do all that on a base M1 mini.

I'm excited for these chips to (eventually) filter into the Mini and the iMac, cause post-COVID... I'm not travelling anywhere and I don't need a laptop.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
lol, by the time I got through the error screens, my order had been push back another month.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Strong Sauce posted:

my late 2013 macbook pro with an 2.3 i7 16gb ram has a trade-in value of... $340... hmm

My 2011 MBA is worth $90.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
20-hour battery life in a 4-pound case. Jesus. :stare:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'm confused so like the 16 inch M1 Max macbook pro's, do they have GPU's or no? like how do they fare against previous powerful Macbook Pros that had a dedicated GPU to do 3D/Animation/Editing stuff in? like how do they compare with Nvidia or AMD?!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm content to check out benchmarks before upgrading... the only laptops I've been able to get w/ 32 GB RAM were the new XPS 13 (dogshit compared to my 2018-era model, with 16 GB RAM) and I have a X1 Carbon 14" on order that shows up in... March.

64 GB is tempting but I'd be happy with 32 GB -- I use my Macs lightly / this is just a work testing 'toy' anyways.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Really struggling thinking of what I'd want a MAX for. I might grab a 14" with the top line Pro CPU and 16 gig. Specwise I'm fine going kind of 1:1 with 16gb RAM and 512SSD to what I have now, I've never felt hamstrung by either.

My work M1 with 8core feels just fine. I MIGHT grab the 10core just because why not for a tiny price bump?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 18, 2021

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm confused so like the 16 inch M1 Max macbook pro's, do they have GPU's or no? like how do they fare against previous powerful Macbook Pros that had a dedicated GPU to do 3D/Animation/Editing stuff in?

No more discrete GPU. Its all a shitload of cores on one die. More cores = better than.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK 14" MAX ordered, not showing up til first week of November :\

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Huh. I thought the notch would bother me more.

I'm not in the market (since I'm a silly Mac mini user) but there's no reason these chips shouldn't also be in the mini or a new mini-esque type box.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Huh. I thought the notch would bother me more.

I'm not in the market (since I'm a silly Mac mini user) but there's no reason these chips shouldn't also be in the mini or a new mini-esque type box.

They will be eventually

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Really struggling thinking of what I'd want a MAX for.

More monitors. All the monitors.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

They will be eventually

I know. I was just hoping to blow my EOY bonus on a new mini.

Guess it's an Apple Watch and more stereo equipment instead.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

badjohny posted:

No new Pro (or max) level desktop. Odd that if they have the chip and have already revamped the smaller iMac they didn't push out a new 27inch. Was really hoping for a Mini max.

I am surprised that the media engine on the M1 Pro and M1 Pax only talked about the hardware acceleration for H264, HEVC and ProRes.

There are still some tasks that the Intel Xeons in the iMac Pro and Mac Pro excel at, such as RED footage playback. I wonder if there will be improvements in those other codecs are not. At least when I compared the M1 to the Xeons.

I'll be curious to do some comparison tests if I can ever get my hand on a M1 Pro or Max.

For example... a base M1 MacBook Air was beating my iMac Pro base model in just pure render/export times. a 45 minute H264 took about 7 1/2 minutes on the M1 MacBook Air vs. 8 1/2 on the iMac Pro.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

No more discrete GPU. Its all a shitload of cores on one die. More cores = better than.

oh but isnt having a dedicated GPU a must-have for creative fields and anything that touches 3D? like, isnt an integrated graphics chip really underpowered and not as good?

sorry for the dumb question I just want to learn so I can know what the real advantage is of this compared to buying a windows laptop with say, a 3080 chip in it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll get the base model 14 when it hits the refurb store in six months if there’s nothing mechanically wrong with it. Looks great

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Astro7x posted:

For example... a base M1 MacBook Air was beating my iMac Pro base model in just pure render/export times. a 45 minute H264 took about 7 1/2 minutes on the M1 MacBook Air vs. 8 1/2 on the iMac Pro.

Holy moley

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pros look good if you need that, looking forward to the Airs in cute colors when those come out later.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I'm curious to see if there will be any differences between the 14" and 16" besides screen size and battery life — and how large the battery life difference will be, especially for something like editing video. I'm guessing the thermal performance between them will be different too? If the 14" is otherwise just as powerful that is pretty cool.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

No chance Magsafe 3 and Magesafe 2 are compatible, right?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hooooly poo poo the M1 max macbook pro is like 3500 dollars holy canoli

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

No chance Magsafe 3 and Magesafe 2 are compatible, right?

they look different

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the display connectivity on the Max is unbelievable.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I wonder why Apple doesn't have an M1 Max configuration listed for the 14" on the main Macbook Pro page? I was convinced you couldn't get a 14" with a Max in it until I clicked through on one of the Pro models and saw that you could upgrade.

I think I'm going to go ahead and buy me one to replace my 13" 2017 MBP and my old, beloved, faithful trashcan Pro.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

AlternateAccount posted:

Eh... yes, this is true, but is it cost effective? Maybe not.

I've been doing a poo poo ton of research these past few weeks looking at hardware upgrades for my office. Obviously, it really depends on what you're doing and the software you're using.

Like my video post-production shop uses Adobe Premiere and primarily edits with ProRes. When comparing Intel i7/i9 chips I am finding that Premiere runs most efficiently on an 8-Core CPU. The added benefits of jumping to 10-Cores was just not worth the $900 price jump to shave a few seconds off your export times, and the machines struggled at the same on playback on certain codecs. Of course, it's totally different when you're working with ProRes on Final Cut Pro/Compressor, which seemed to perform better than Premiere/Media Encoder.

I'll be curious to see if there are any added benefits in M1 Pro/Max now that we have multiple M1 chips to compare against. Like is the M1 Max really going to make a difference if I'm using Adobe Premiere and H264 video codecs compared to just a plain M1? Is the difference between the Pro and the Max that my export times out of Media Encoder are just slightly faster? Who knows yet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the display connectivity on the Max is unbelievable.

Insane

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Astro7x posted:

I'll be curious to see if there are any added benefits in M1 Pro/Max now that we have multiple M1 chips to compare against. Like is the M1 Max really going to make a difference if I'm using Adobe Premiere and H264 video codecs compared to just a plain M1? Is the difference between the Pro and the Max that my export times out of Media Encoder are just slightly faster? Who knows yet.

The M1 Pro doubles the memory bandwidth, and the M1 X doubles it again. The design of the M1 actually allows the CPU to take advantage of this as well, so even in single-threaded benchmarks I expect you'll see a significant uptick.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Curious about this too. Please DM me if you see anything out there about it. I'm Premiere for work and the iMac they've given me is an ancient thing never specced for editing, my old 2013MBP is basically as good for rendering.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I ordered the 14 with 10/16/16, hope I don't regret it once we start doing AR/VR stuff but who knows. I'm plenty happy with my M1 work so this should be more than enough to tide me over until the M6XXX in a few years :cool:

And threw in some new AirPods because I love being poor

The only crappy thing about magsafe being back is that now I have to invest in a ton of chargers rather than use the fifteen I have lying around the house.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's glorious

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The M1 Pro doubles the memory bandwidth, and the M1 X doubles it again. The design of the M1 actually allows the CPU to take advantage of this as well, so even in single-threaded benchmarks I expect you'll see a significant uptick.

I'm sure we'll find out soon but AFAIK there were no uArch / tweaks to the actual CPU cores, right?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just can't get over a machine with no discrete GPU having faster render times than a machine with one, like I get that it's happening but it boggles my mind

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Al-Saqr posted:

oh but isnt having a dedicated GPU a must-have for creative fields and anything that touches 3D? like, isnt an integrated graphics chip really underpowered and not as good?

sorry for the dumb question I just want to learn so I can know what the real advantage is of this compared to buying a windows laptop with say, a 3080 chip in it.

Not with these. Not remotely comparable to Intel/AMD integrated GPU's, closer to a 6700 XT discrete GPU in performance.

The real advantage is that the PC with a 3080 will only give you that GPU (and be significantly slower CPU) performance when plugged in at the wall, with fans going full bore. This Mac can do it on battery. Plus, the memory is unified - with the 3080 you're limited in pro apps with your 3080's vram, for the M1 Max you can have up to 64GB of 'video' ram accessible by your app, as they're no distinction between video/cpu memory.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Probably already mentioned here but the design language of the new 14/16 really evokes the old G4 powerbooks, which were my first ever "I bought this brand new" Mac so I always have a soft spot for it :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Al-Saqr posted:

Integrated doesn't equal poo poo. It just depends on how much is invested in it. The gpu in the Max is on par with a full fledged RTX 2080, which is very powerful in laptop terms.