Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

That seems to be the common element of blockchain products. Cryptocurrencies are for people who aren't able/allowed to use existing banking systems for their transactions and game item NFTs are for people who no longer have access to their game account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Karia posted:

The specific reason that I've heard that actually made me go "oh, that makes sense why you'd want that" is if you get banned. If you spend real-life money on a game to buy items, and those items are solely maintained in a database for the game, then you've just lost all of that if you get banned. But if it's NFTs, then you could still resell to someone else and not lose everything.

Now, to be clear, this isn't in any way useful for anyone who's capable of not being an utter rear end in a top hat. But the sort of people who promote NFTs? Yeah, I get why they're concerned they might lose all their stupid hats because they keep screaming the N word at people in Fortnite or some poo poo.

Ok, but as a developer why would I want this. I've suddenly introduced a "used" market to my game undermining my entire lucrative DLC and if I ban an assholes account with tons of stuff when they inevitably make a new one all they need is the base game since they can just transfer all the other stuff to themselves so I don't even get a rage double dip.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hello Sailor posted:

That seems to be the common element of blockchain products. Cryptocurrencies are for people who aren't able/allowed to use existing banking systems for their transactions and game item NFTs are for people who no longer have access to their game account.

That seems like too much of a logical step for crypto bros, though the first one is right in that the people complaining about 'the unbanked' are usually talking more to people who have been shut out of the banking system because they literally cannot stop scamming.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Cryptocurrencies aren't for the unbanked, they're for the soon to be unbanked

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"you don’t have to trust a centralized authority to hold on to your gaming assets”

when your first date is going really good

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Prurient Squid posted:

Some day it might be witty to say "Now is the winter of our discount NFTs". You can use that is it becomes applicable. I give permission.

i prefer discount ents for rhyme scheme

such a specific situation though

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Alan Smithee posted:

i prefer discount ents for rhyme scheme

such a specific situation though

Discount Ents NFTs, the next Lazy Lions

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Barudak posted:

Ok, but as a developer why would I want this. I've suddenly introduced a "used" market to my game undermining my entire lucrative DLC and if I ban an assholes account with tons of stuff when they inevitably make a new one all they need is the base game since they can just transfer all the other stuff to themselves so I don't even get a rage double dip.

gently caress if I know. It's a terrible idea that makes no sense. All I'm saying is that I see why it attracts toxic people: because they think it will allow them to avoid responsibility for their actions.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Barudak posted:

You want to make a lovely half-baked game that can lure thousands of idiots to buy jpegs for millions, and then abandon the game immediately. Most NFTs that promise a game don't even have a demo, so making an actual game first may put you ahead of the competition.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I signed up for that swiss crypto stamp newsletter:

quote:

Dear Bollig,
The mountains are calling! Are you ready?

Do you remember our little teaser in the newsletter you received a week ago? We were looking for a famous mountain, a true VIP amongst its peers. It’s in the focus of Swiss Post’s very first Crypto Stamp. You’ve no doubt now discovered what this Swiss icon of stone and ice is called. Or possibly not? Whether you have or you haven’t, you can find the solution and so much more about the Crypto Stamp here.

Let’s head to the mountains.

Plus, in the next newsletter due out on 25 October 2021, you will find out more about other stamp designs that you can expect to see on the Swiss Crypto Stamp in digital form. One thing’s for sure: you can definitely expect to see more mountains.
Swiss Post

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Also a bitcoin futures etf is launching on Tuesday. Some people are going to experience the joy of steadily losing money. It's honestly an indictment of an asset that is so easily transferable that a futures etf is considered less risky than a spot etf but what the gently caress do I know, I'm just going to have fun staying poor.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Barudak posted:

This is the step that cryptobros never seem to grasp. You've come up with this theoretical use case that has a theoretical benefit to the crypto holder, but why would anyone give up control over their own product simply to cater to the crypto holder when there's nothing in it for the developer other than opening a huge can of worms?

Cryptobros are just like religious fanatics in that they're so blinded by their obsession that they can't even consider that someone has looked objectively at their belief and made the conscious choice to reject it. Anyone who isn't a True Believer is just someone who hasn't been ~~shown the way~~.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 18, 2021

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That seems like too much of a logical step for crypto bros, though the first one is right in that the people complaining about 'the unbanked' are usually talking more to people who have been shut out of the banking system because they literally cannot stop scamming.

Admittedly, almost everything about crypto is deeply contemptible, but this nonsense about “banking the unbanked” really angers me.

The primary reason people might lack banking is that they don’t have any loving money. Every crypto moron crowing about how blockchain tokens could help a rural subsistence farmer in India strikes me as someone with a personal booth at the local Golden Corral saying that the main issue for foreigners dealing with a famine is that they don’t have the correct silverware.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

waydownLo posted:

Admittedly, almost everything about crypto is deeply contemptible, but this nonsense about “banking the unbanked” really angers me.

The primary reason people might lack banking is that they don’t have any loving money. Every crypto moron crowing about how blockchain tokens could help a rural subsistence farmer in India strikes me as someone with a personal booth at the local Golden Corral saying that the main issue for foreigners dealing with a famine is that they don’t have the correct silverware.
There are systemic reasons to harp on banking the unbanked as a prerequisite to letting them have money. Ex. huge time and space advantages in accounting settlements through a bank instead of barter or cash, loan access, and physical security of assets.

Mind you crypto doesn't allow most of those advantages or disadvantages you specifically so giving Bitcoin to the rural poor is still an underpants gnome plan.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

This is the step that cryptobros never seem to grasp. You've come up with this theoretical use case that has a theoretical benefit to the crypto holder, but why would anyone give up control over their own product simply to cater to the crypto holder when there's nothing in it for the developer other than opening a huge can of worms?

Cryptobros are just like religious fanatics in that they're so blinded by their obsession that they can't even consider that someone has looked objectively at their belief and made the conscious choice to reject it. Anyone who isn't a True Believer is just someone who hasn't been ~~shown the way~~.

coin bros are just another flavor of nerds that replaced their parent's cultural inst. of religion with whatever platonic idea of science and tech in their head is.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

zedprime posted:

Mind you crypto doesn't allow most of those advantages or disadvantages you specifically so giving Bitcoin to the rural poor is still an underpants gnome plan.
Exhibit one: El Salvador.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

divabot posted:

of course they aren't

1. Laundering dirty ETH into clean ETH - lotta NFTs do some laundering transactions then never move again

2. Selling magic beans for real money (or ETH)

3. Magic bean pumping suckers, in relatively small numbers

Hey. I didn't want to be precious about owning it, but the "it can't be that stupid" image on the stickers that you are giving out to your readers (https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchai...y-network-hack/) - you acknowledge Vortmax for printing them out, but the way that reads kind of makes it sound like they created the image, too. It was actually me that created it. Could you correct it? I am sure there was no intent to misrepresent on anyone's part.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

this kind of misappropriation would have never happened on the blockchain

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1449485124400148482

Very nice thread that made me realize that not only selling an NFT is a scam. But merely convincing someone to try to make NFTs is also a scam. Somehow, they crammed another scam within the scam I had already known about.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Hammerite posted:

Hey. I didn't want to be precious about owning it, but the "it can't be that stupid" image on the stickers that you are giving out to your readers (https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchai...y-network-hack/) - you acknowledge Vortmax for printing them out, but the way that reads kind of makes it sound like they created the image, too. It was actually me that created it. Could you correct it? I am sure there was no intent to misrepresent on anyone's part.

Credit where credit is due. I just got them printed on stickers. (I still have a bunch of them if anyone wants one or two or ten; PM me your address)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Gosh, if only we'd distributed the knowledge of who created what in the blockchain.

We could have had the exact same mistake made, but it would have generated five tons of co2 first

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Salt Fish posted:

"you don’t have to trust a centralized authority to hold on to your gaming assets”

when your first date is going really good

lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Also, remember that creating a NFT costs money. If you're doing it on ETH, minting a single NFT costs $50-$100 in gas fees alone, depending on how busy the network is at the time. The marketplaces NFTs are traded on impose fees for listing them. And transferring the NFT imposes a cost in transaction fees, too. And the network is small enough that even just a big-name NFT launch can spike transaction fees to more than the sale price of the NFT itself.

https://twitter.com/Mayhem247Ai/status/1441468834188247041
https://twitter.com/DuanePrattJr/status/1441098757727133701

That's the ultimately fatal problem in every "what is blockchain good for" scenario. Even if you come up with some marginal use case that's just barely not useless, the fees and costs are too high to justify using them on anything that's not going to directly contribute to profit.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

crypto is dumb as hell but im grid trading SHIB/USDT because lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PhazonLink posted:

coin bros are just another flavor of nerds that replaced their parent's cultural inst. of religion with whatever platonic idea of science and tech in their head is.

It's really more taking the mandatory Western blind worship of capitalism entirely at face value and leading to cargo cults of the ad copy.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I want to see if I'm understanding the "game assets as NFT" thing correctly, and yes, I already know that the parts that aren't half-baked are going to be stupid, it's par for the course with crypto bullshit.

If game items are NFTs, then say I decide to bail on EverQuest for Final Fantasy 14. I can take all my poo poo with me, including my Fiery Avenger! And that's cool, right? That's the pitch?

The questions that get raised, which they then dodge:

Fiery Avenger is a two handed sword for paladins, but Final Fantasy 14 paladins use one handed swords, two handed swords are a different tank class. How does that work?
What the hell is the incentive for Sony to let me take this weapon with me?
What the hell is the incentive for Square-Enix to let me bring it in?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You are thinking like six steps further than they have for any of this

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

hbag posted:

Yes, you've stated multiple times here that you've decided to roll around in the poop. Unless it involves something funny or interesting, please stop repeating yourself.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

hbag posted:

:shrek:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wonder who will get all the crypto money out there? It’s not like people who own crypto/NFT bullshit are going to really make money but there is a lot of dumb boomer bux and young/poor people’s credit cards going into crypto so someone will make some money.

Seems they’re all gonna eat each other though and the power plants and hackers will end up making all the money?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

MechaCrash posted:

I want to see if I'm understanding the "game assets as NFT" thing correctly, and yes, I already know that the parts that aren't half-baked are going to be stupid, it's par for the course with crypto bullshit.

If game items are NFTs, then say I decide to bail on EverQuest for Final Fantasy 14. I can take all my poo poo with me, including my Fiery Avenger! And that's cool, right? That's the pitch?

The questions that get raised, which they then dodge:

Fiery Avenger is a two handed sword for paladins, but Final Fantasy 14 paladins use one handed swords, two handed swords are a different tank class. How does that work?
What the hell is the incentive for Sony to let me take this weapon with me?
What the hell is the incentive for Square-Enix to let me bring it in?

Also if Sony and Square-Enix have a close enough working relationship to implement each others items in their games why wouldn't they just... unify their logins? Or allow you to link accounts across the games? The thing stopping this (frankly kind of dumb) idea being a reality has never been technology, it's business.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Orvin posted:

He also started talking about some Pokémon clone type of game where people who have the powerful monsters can rent them out to players who have actual time to play the game. So basically people with “money” or were early adopters can allow regular players to borrow their monsters for a share of the rewards they earn while using them. Again, no idea why this has to be NFTs or blockchain, other than it can involve real money to buy and sell these things. My guess is it’s kind of a lovely game that uses NFTs to drum up users/players.
this sounds like a pyramid scheme

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Welp, I guess it's time to wrap it up...

https://twitter.com/jimbocoin/status/1449907628314877952?s=20

When you combine "bitcoin is nearly at $MILLION (if you include some multiplier)" and "bitcoin is at 0.X MILLION", then you can clearly see that we are about to crash land on the moon.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

wtf like at least with gold coins you still have them if the internet goes down

https://twitter.com/w0606168/status/1450104089161912325

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Time to pump my cockcoin and dump my shitcoin.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Idiot commits his private key into a public github repo, instantly loses all his ETH and a bunch of NFTs:

https://steviep.xyz/txt/compromised

Gets some of his stuff back and learns nothing from the exercise:

quote:

Overall, I can't be too upset about how things unfolded. I've been incredibly lucky to endup where I am today, so running into the occasional bit of bad luck feels more like the cost of doing business.

I also wonder how this will affect the future market value of all the NFTs involved in this whole ordeal. I'd like to think that my Buddha Matt stickers will be worth millions of dollars because of the added Louvre heist-style flair that it's gained.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

People who think a stock is going to increase in value significantly due to non-speculative reasons tend to not talk too publicly about it/promote that stock, unless they’re looking for a reason to sell.

Who WANTS Bitcoin to go up in price? People who want to hold onto Bitcoin forever? Lol? If you want Bitcoin to be used, ever, as anything other than a purely speculative instrument the price or performance of Bitcoin shouldn’t mean anything to you outside of more places using it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
$10M buttcoin implies a market cap of ~$200 trillion, or about 10x US GDP. Just running the numbers.

Either this guy is bad at math, or he thinks hyperinflation is right around the corner and USD is going to lose 99.999% of its value or something.

Its both, isnt it

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hello Sailor posted:

I remember evangelists talking about chargebacks being impossible was a “feature.”

I also remember the many coiners banned from banks (who do keep up with this exact type of information and they share this poo poo. Even between different branches of different banks.

They eventually get tired of the paperwork freezing or people overdrawing their money, and coiners are just the reason any of this banking bureaucracy came into being in the first place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

DerekSmartymans posted:

I remember evangelists talking about chargebacks being impossible was a “feature.”

The reason is that the evangelists are trying to convince stores to put Bitcoin on their sites, and they don't like chargebacks.