Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CainFortea posted:

God yes do this please. Just start at the beginning and work your way up.

Metroid -1 Mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
1/Super are widely available on modern platforms but I would totally go with a Fusion remake

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

Ok, yes, thank you. That's brilliant. It only took me about 10 more tries using this method, but I got it. Much easier. I also think ducking to preserve the charge before the second slide rather than after might be a bit easier. There's still plenty of time to hit the next spark.

You don't need to hit the next spark. You store and then just hop on over and then shoot your blast directly at the speed blocks. It's a one-spark trick.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1/Super are widely available on modern platforms but I would totally go with a Fusion remake

Wasn't the impetus for Samus Returns initially MercurySteam coming to Nintendo and pitching a Fusion remake, and Sakamoto or some similar higher-up saying "Naw, Fusion still holds up just fine, but now that you mention it, Metroid 2 on the original Game Boy is looking a bit shabby these days..."

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Other M so thoroughly poisoned the well for a talkative Samus that what little we got is a miracle. And while she doesn't talk much, she is very emotive with her body language. Unlike in Other M where she speaks in a dull, clinical monotone for most of it.

I think there is room for Samus to non-verbally express her thoughts on the situation with words, like there could be an optional-to-read logbook that she could update. But the only log entry i would want to read in the context of this story is the one that says: "This Adam is obviously an imposter, who is he trying to fool."

Tangentally related, I do wish there some kind of in-game explanation of Samus being raised by specific Chozo dads, like Old Bird and Grey Voice. Then Raven Beak revealing he was a genetic donor isn't a complete swerve for anyone who hasn't read the wiki.

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 18, 2021

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
It's kind of funny, because Grey Voice was a similar twist already. (And the first game's Varia Suit being his is, I think, an explanation for why the varia suit look is sort of her default.)

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Apparently it was quite a toxic environment while working on this game.

quote:

Punishments at the studio are alleged to "range from isolating the worker or changing the group to the same sudden dismissal".

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/10/metroid-dread-studio-hit-with-allegations-of-poor-organisation-and-management

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Time for Nintendo to do the honest thing and buy the studio out like they did with Retro

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The one thing that was wrong with Metroid Prime was Samus acquiring the Morph Ball and not going "it's time to roll out" before doing a sweet kickflip off the top of the halfpipe.

Yeah she only did that after she got the speed ball upgrade and could get enough air off the halfpipe to do a christ air

edit: man i miss Prime's halfpipes. Maybe i'm due for another re-run of the trilogy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
w…..why doesn’t the double jump in this game work most of the time? i’m so loving confused. it just doesn’t…..do it. it just doesn’t jump when I press it while in the air. so I get hit by projectiles I should be able to avoid, over and over again, because the double jump doesn’t…..jump. what am I missing?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

w…..why doesn’t the double jump in this game work most of the time? i’m so loving confused. it just doesn’t…..do it. it just doesn’t jump when I press it while in the air. so I get hit by projectiles I should be able to avoid, over and over again, because the double jump doesn’t…..jump. what am I missing?

you need to be on the descending part of your jump arc when you activate it

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Just wanted to chime in and say that this method worked for me, got it on the 3rd or 4th attempt. Though it kinda shows how crappy the sparkshine controls are when it's more enjoyable to bypass them to get the results you're looking for.

100% item's completed, now just to finish the game.

As an aside, in the last area are there supposed to be what looks like secret areas you can access at the bottom and top left of the map or is that stuff that gets filled in after beating the boss? I'm assuming top left is how I get back to my ship.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

There's a certain timing component to it. I'm not 100% on the exact conditions since i do it mostly by feel, but the general gist of it is that you can only do it when Samus is on a spinning descent. It becomes available shortly after she hits the apex of the first spin jump.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

guess someone didn't beat the boss where she just casually blasts a switch without looking while walking away after defeating it

Or in Samus Returns where the power bomb boss has way too many phases and she just blasts it in the face when it tries to get uppity and go for phase 4.

And then nukes it with a power bomb for good measure.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
even knowing the mechanics for every space jump in every metroid game, the double jump in dread seems to not work at random :shrug:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The powerup window for it says it works "after a certain point" or something when you get it, so the first thing I did was test what it meant. The only time I couldn't get it to double-jump was if you pressed it really fast/too soon after initial jump, and subsequently if you were spamming it after a flub. Basically you need to have gotten well into a jump arc before it's active to doublejump. It doesn't randomly not work, it not works if you hit it too early.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah honestly the double jump just sucks considering how mobile everything else makes Samue feel

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Dread has the top Samus character moments
1. Samus sitting on the ground and relaxing her posture after Quiet Robe shows up like "hey dude, what's up"
2. Samus sitting in a la-z-boy while riding the orb cannon elevator to the final boss

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I wonder what the producers of Metroid are going to do for future games to not follow the same trope of Samus somehow losing all her items in the beginning. You could probably still start the game without the upgrades, but you need a good explanation for it. Zelda somehow does this without me thinking too hard about it, but it’s not convincing for Metroid. There’s got to be a solution for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Good Sphere posted:

I wonder what the producers of Metroid are going to do for future games to not follow the same trope of Samus somehow losing all her items in the beginning. You could probably still start the game without the upgrades, but you need a good explanation for it. Zelda somehow does this without me thinking too hard about it, but it’s not convincing for Metroid. There’s got to be a solution for it.

Start with Samus's ebay page open

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What they are going to do is you lose your powers through convoluted means

I don’t see that changing

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Good Sphere posted:

Zelda pulls it off by having Link be a completely new guy every time. So unless they have you play as other bounty hunters (please no) or do a continuity wipe every five years they're a bit stuck.

I don't see why they can't have Samus end up somewhere without her power suit or any upgrades. She must go on holiday between missions right? Do a Mario Sunshine.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Good Sphere posted:

New Lore where Samus, Prince Adam, and Dark Lord Ridley reincarnate as part of a destined eternal struggle between each other, and so the Samus in each game is actually a different person just starting their journey and getting the powerups for the first time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

samus is either gonna get hit really hard by a bad guy and lose all her powers or just start the game in her normal power suit with no explanation. these are the only two options.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's not like there isn't precedent for Samus just not having stuff at the start of the game. Super, and Prime 3 are like that. Also, Dread never really goes into where Samus' impossible Ice Beam went that she had at the end of Fusion.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for double jump advice, getting it more consistently now but drat it’s definitely an awkward mechanic. I do think there’s a few too many issues with awkwardness in this game like aiming + firing missiles or grapple requiring holding three buttons and the stick but I love so much about it still

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like they might do what prime 2 did and have the bad guys steal your powers and you kill them to take them back

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bounty hunting pays jack poo poo it turns out especially when Samus keeps getting fined for genociding wildlife and is still paying off her last blown up gunship so hope whoever's buying these super missiles and power bombs isn't a space pirate or something

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SettingSun posted:

It's not like there isn't precedent for Samus just not having stuff at the start of the game. Super, and Prime 3 are like that. Also, Dread never really goes into where Samus' impossible Ice Beam went that she had at the end of Fusion.

I was kind of surprised we got the ice missile instead of the ice beam because of that.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

stev posted:

I don't see why they can't have Samus end up somewhere without her power suit or any upgrades. She must go on holiday between missions right? Do a Mario Sunshine.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A game starting Samus in Zero suit mode would be a cool concept.

Like her ship and everything gets lost in space/stolen by scrappers, and she has to slowly recollect all the bits, piece at a time. Or start by giving her some upgrades to her wimpy pistol, and then the game opens up once you pick up the base power suit.

Or maybe that'd be a lovely, boring slog. I liked the end of Zero Mission :shrug:

e: hell, if it's a post-fusion game, you've got a bunch of Chozo soldiers spread out now, who would have a strong incentive to cannibalize her upgrades

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This but Kraid

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

stev posted:

Zelda pulls it off by having Link be a completely new guy every time. So unless they have you play as other bounty hunters (please no) or do a continuity wipe every five years they're a bit stuck.

I would be down for Die Hard, But With Space Pirates

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Good Sphere posted:

The next Metroid title tells the tale of Samus' estranged son, Seamus, going on a trip that takes him to places of Samus' youth (and involves a lot of arm cannons and power suits) to spiritually connect with his distant mother collect all the same power-ups as her to feel closer to her. In a heart-warming and Varia-suit-requiring coming of age story where he grows and matures into at least a tiny fraction of his mother's badassery.

the final fight will be against his M:OM and he wins when he does a sick fatality against Kraid who crashes the party half-way through and Samus begrudgingly accepts him as worthy

the details of how Samus' son came to be are never explored

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
samus is already such a horrifying hodgepodge of whatever alien DNA people found lying around anywhere that i figure she is basically even scarier without the suit at this point

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sockser posted:

A game starting Samus in Zero suit mode would be a cool concept.

Like her ship and everything gets lost in space/stolen by scrappers, and she has to slowly recollect all the bits, piece at a time. Or start by giving her some upgrades to her wimpy pistol, and then the game opens up once you pick up the base power suit.

Or maybe that'd be a lovely, boring slog. I liked the end of Zero Mission :shrug:

e: hell, if it's a post-fusion game, you've got a bunch of Chozo soldiers spread out now, who would have a strong incentive to cannibalize her upgrades

It made for a good episode in the first season of Mandalorian with the Jawas.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

HenryEx posted:

the details of how Samus' son came to be are never explored

But she already destroyed Phaaze and all the Phazon?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Gruckles posted:

Dread has the top Samus character moments
1. Samus sitting on the ground and relaxing her posture after Quiet Robe shows up like "hey dude, what's up"
2. Samus sitting in a la-z-boy while riding the orb cannon elevator to the final boss

3. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Feels Villeneuve posted:

samus is already such a horrifying hodgepodge of whatever alien DNA people found lying around anywhere that i figure she is basically even scarier without the suit at this point
She seems to maintain a human-like appearance easily enough but as we saw with the SA-X that doesn't mean much...

From what I gather though the metroid universe is full of weird inhuman aliens and humans are a minority so she fits right in no problem

Yo is that a chozo?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The United States posted:

From what I gather though the metroid universe is full of weird inhuman aliens and humans are a minority so she fits right in no problem

Yo is that a chozo?

Chozo looking smug as gently caress while robot dude is stoned and staring in fascination at its own hands, fly-man is angrily banging his fists on the table like Doomguy with a knife and fork, and space-goblin is just "Ugh, again with these assholes :smugjones:"