Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
After how terrible Beastars got I’m going to need a lot of reassurance before I read anything else by her. I read Bota Bota but that also had the Beastars problem of being good for about half of its run before taking a nosedive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

A deposed Dr. Doom returns to Latveria.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Skulk Hogan posted:

A deposed Dr. Doom returns to Latveria.

Well, that's a 2010s throwback.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Ten to one says the artist used that as a reference just to see if he could get away with it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Was the artist Greg Land?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The body of that bear looks hosed up due to the way they composited the image onto it, and it might be making its o-face, so it could be.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Salvador Larocca and Jesus the snow is even the same.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Skulk Hogan posted:

Salvador Larocca and Jesus the snow is even the same.

At what point does it change from homage to tracing?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if its larocca it's just tracing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

if its larocca it's just tracing

He did a bunch of star wars comics with obvious trace jobs from the films, right?

Although in this case and this case only, I'll allow it
(the bear, not the star wars).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah it's really really bad in the sw books

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it was really bad, and the inking and/or coloring was not making it any less obvious. I'm honestly convinced he's just cutting and pasting literal screenshots into his comics (to the point where I swear I saw some shots of his process and that's what he was doing, but now I can't find that, and it seems like it would be a bigger deal if it was the case)

https://twitter.com/OliverSava/status/954099892925943810?s=20

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it was really bad, and the inking and/or coloring was not making it any less obvious. I'm honestly convinced he's just cutting and pasting literal screenshots into his comics (to the point where I swear I saw some shots of his process and that's what he was doing, but now I can't find that, and it seems like it would be a bigger deal if it was the case)

Ah, GURU-eFX, from the C. B. Cebulski school, the guy who wholesale copypastad JoJo's Bizarre Adventure into Diesel and they made him the EiC of Antartic Press for it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Endless Mike posted:

Ah, GURU-eFX, from the C. B. Cebulski school, the guy who wholesale copypastad JoJo's Bizarre Adventure into Diesel and they made him the EiC of Antartic Press for it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Suleman posted:

Well, that's a 2010s throwback.

Paging user cocaine bear to the thread, cocaine bear to the thread please

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Phy posted:

Paging user cocaine bear to the thread, cocaine bear to the thread please
Cocaine Bear went Hollywood

https://twitter.com/screenqueenz/status/1369385197653868544?lang=en

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Skulk Hogan posted:

A deposed Dr. Doom returns to Latbearia.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A truly grizzly pun

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Elfface posted:

She can control the weather. Sometimes that means summoning rain, or snow. Other times, freak rains of fish. Or knives. Same principal. Some day she'll summon a sharknado. It's weather.
Storm keeps her knives in the cloud.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

CannonFodder posted:

Storm keeps her knives in the cloud.

I just imagine Storm calling down a knife from the sky at some dude's head at suppertime in Cairo while doing brunch in NYC

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It rains like a dozen times a year in Cairo, so if Storm's knifing people that way, it's not very subtle.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Kalli posted:

It rains like a dozen times a year in Cairo, so if Storm's knifing people that way, it's not very subtle.

what if she's knifing people to cover up the freak rainstorm

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She hides them in the clouds of dust, sandstorms and smog.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

She hides them in the clouds of dust, sandstorms and smog.

How often have we read phrases like, "a cold wind rips through you like a knife"

Turns out that was actually just a knife

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

If Storm is going to knife someone, she's not going to hide she did it. The storm is the warning to everyone else.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tsilkani posted:

If Storm is going to knife someone, she's not going to hide she did it. The storm is the warning to everyone else.

Storm screaming "For I am Storm, I am the knife, and I hereby shank you!" is also a warning to everyone else.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Grendels Dad posted:

Storm screaming "For I am Storm, I am the knife, and I hereby shank you!" is also a warning to everyone else.

Know what happens to a toad when you stick a knife in it?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Parahexavoctal posted:

You pass high school biology?

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Parahexavoctal posted:

You kill the joke.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
2000AD 2254 The robot judges have been taken over by a memetic virus while Judge Dredd battles bounty hunters.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

robziel posted:

2000AD 2254 The robot judges have been taken over by a memetic virus while Judge Dredd battles bounty hunters.

Is that Trapper Hag?

I much prefer weird/funny Dredd to straight action Dredd, but even then, I feel he's written to be an almost parodic action hero:

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Elissimpark posted:

Is that Trapper Hag?

I much prefer weird/funny Dredd to straight action Dredd, but even then, I feel he's written to be an almost parodic action hero:

Nope it's his wife, from the previous issue

They still work in the weird/funny to Dredd stories, also from the previous issue:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I love Dredd's face in that last panel, like "are you loving serious?" It's hard to make him grumpier, but they've done well.

Also, for bug-prone, violent robots, Mechanismo can be quite amusing.

Was it the original strip where one went bonkers and decided to conduct a mass strip search?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
They're... Trapper and Keeper Hag.

:allears:

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Elissimpark posted:

I love Dredd's face in that last panel, like "are you loving serious?" It's hard to make him grumpier, but they've done well.

Also, for bug-prone, violent robots, Mechanismo can be quite amusing.

Was it the original strip where one went bonkers and decided to conduct a mass strip search?

You are correct Judge Dredd vol 2 #15-, that one malfunctioned trying to find a litterer, detained an entire crowd of people and ended up wanting to find out what everyone else was guilty of.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

robziel posted:

You are correct Judge Dredd vol 2 #15-, that one malfunctioned trying to find a litterer, detained an entire crowd of people and ended up wanting to find out what everyone else was guilty of.

There it is:

I think Colin McNeil is easily one of my favorite 2000AD artists.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

I think Colin McNeil is easily one of my favorite 2000AD artists.

Yeah, it really catches the eye. Some panels would be good enough to hang up on your wall.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My Hero Academia - Chapters 330 & 331

MHA has gone full「Jojo」introducing a new character Star And Stripe, America's No1 Hero with a music themed StandQuirk

She also doesn't gently caress around

She really really doesn't gently caress around

And it's about to get even better :allears:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

During his run on Daredevil, Frank Miller wrote an absolutely amazing scene which wasn't even depicted on-panel.

Weeks after the incident, a man in an office is given a report detailing the forensic evidence that was found on location. We are shown the facial expression of the man in the office. And that's it.

... okay, okay. Here's what happened.

Wilson Fisk has destroyed Matt Murdock's life, reducing him to a homeless derelict.

Matt Murdock, in the remnants of his civilian clothes, goes to Fisk's building to confront him. They fight. It is nothing like the amazingly choreographed superhero fights so typical of most comics - it is brutal, and it is bloody, and Wilson Fisk is much larger than Matt Murdock, and Matt is exhausted and malnourished. Fisk beats Matt unconscious with his bare hands.

The obvious next step would be to go ahead and just kill Matt. But Fisk wants to destroy not only Matt, but Matt's reputation. The death must be neither mysterious nor suspicious.

A taxi is stolen. The driver is beaten to death with Matt's billy club. Matt, unconscious, is placed in the driver's seat with an open whiskey bottle in his lap. The seatbelt and the doors are "corroded shut with a chemical process that is indistinguishable from rust".

And then the taxi is pushed off a pier into the river.

Weeks later, Wilson Fisk is in his office when he gets a report.

The remains of a taxi have been discovered in the river.

The windshield has been smashed open from the inside.

The seatbelt has been sawn through with a fragment of windshield glass.

There is no corpse.

There is no corpse.

There is no corpse.

[I've tried to post this with an image attached, and I keep getting error messages. Here, from CBR: https://www.cbr.com/a-year-of-cool-comic-book-moments-day-117/]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Miller was a great writer. It's a shame he disappeared in 2001 and never wrote anything else.