Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ok for real whos your team
This poll is closed.
The Green Bay Packers 81 35.53%
The Chicago Bears 52 22.81%
The Minnesota Vikings 42 18.42%
The Detroit Lions 53 23.25%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

PneumonicBook posted:

Ah I wasn't aware Mike McCarthy was comparable to Bill Belichick.

Strangely enough, at one point Mike McCarthy was the only head coach in the league who didn't have a losing record versus Belichick.

It was .500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I'd be pretty scarred by seeing someone be called a cocksucking Steve Walsh also.

Lol. Nah I just mean fans can be lovely and Rodgers telling a fan that he owns them after getting the double birds is whatever.

I suppose I can see how that post makes me sound like I was scarred for life

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

LargeHadron posted:

I found it to be rude and unsportsmanlike.

It was both of these things. It was still cool. He was just stooping to their level.

The circles are not my doing.

Also what's the O/U on Rodgers being fined for this?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

surf rock posted:

The Lions were already going to be brutal this year, but the injuries took them from something like a 3-win team to a possible 0-win team. Frankly, though, that's probably a good thing; secure that #1 pick, Detroit.

Also, here are Justin Fields' stats from his first four starts.

- Cleveland Browns: 6-20 for 68 yards; 3 rushes for 12 yards
- Detroit Lions: 11-17 for 209 yards and 1 INT; 3 rushes for 9 yards
- Las Vegas Raiders: 12-20 for 111 yards and 1 TD; 3 rushes for 4 yards
- Green Bay Packers: 16-27 for 174 yards and 1 TD and 1 INT; 6 rushes for 43 yards

Throw out the Cleveland game because Nagy's calling the plays and the Browns defense is sick. That still comes out to a 61% completion rate, 7.7 yards-per-attempt, 2 TDs/2 INTs, and 12 rushes for 56 yards.

He's not really doing anything well yet. He isn't seeing the field clearly, he's not making good decisions when getting rushed, and his accuracy has been inconsistent. I would say that the biggest strength so far has been that he's not reckless with the ball; the interception today was on a blown call (although he was also saved from an interception by another blown call, I guess).

Fortunately for him, the baseline of QB play in Chicago is so horrific that he's already playing better than most starters they've had, so it won't take much growth from here for him to have a long, prosperous career for the Bears.

The one good thing about this situation is what do the other NFC North teams have in terms of the future? Not much. The Packers have Jordan Love I guess, who's looked pretty much awful every time he's hit the field, and what's happening to Rodgers after this season? No one really knows but if he moves on they will have nothing basically. Vikings have Kirk with a 45 MILLION cap hit this year and a UFA next year. Who knows what happens there but paying him again seems unlikely. Lions... well the Lions don't have anything really in terms of QBs.

So on the bright side, Chicago is getting a nice head start on everyone else in terms of the next generation of QBs, provided Fields can learn and grow which I think he can. Hasn't been amazing so far but there is definitely promise.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Play posted:

So on the bright side, Chicago is getting a nice head start on everyone else in terms of the next generation of QBs, provided Fields can learn and grow which I think he can. Hasn't been amazing so far but there is definitely promise.

IMO, I thought Fields looked pretty good. He mostly needs experience. I think the physical tools are all there.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Well, well, well. Not so funny when the gruntles are on the other foot.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Rodgers yelling at the dumb Bears fans was hilarious.

It would also be hilarious if he was actually drawn to say that by some fat Chicagoans throwing him the finger.

All around a bunch of stupid poo poo. I love it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ice Fist posted:

Zero. Rodgers is a star, they let him do it. :trumpsmug:

JGdmn posted:

Rodgers yelling at the dumb Bears fans was hilarious.

It would also be hilarious if he was actually drawn to say that by some fat Chicagoans throwing him the finger.

All around a bunch of stupid poo poo. I love it.

Same. I'm just sick of the :decorum: crowd poo-poo'ing everything fun.

The Bears dude who sacked him earlier in the game shouldn't have gotten a flag for "taunting," either. The punishment for mocking the belt is that you mocked the belt and Rodgers will own you.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

LargeHadron posted:

The Packers are my favorite team. Aaron Rodgers is my favorite player (though I'm warming up quickly to Justin Herbert). That said, I did not like what Rodgers said to the Bears crowd. I found it to be rude and unsportsmanlike, and I was disappointed.

Oddly though, if it had been some random tight end or whatever, I probably wouldn't think much of it. It seems I have a bias that QBs should be more humble/have more decorum than players of the more physical positions.

Would you say he isn't playing the game the right way?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So hey, all you Bears fans who were beating the drums since April that Justin Fields Must Play, I do hope you're happy. Because this is what having a rookie QB looks like. He's going to struggle, he's going to throw dumb interceptions, he's going to look really bad sometimes. Accept right now that the 2021 Bears season is already lost. The only thing we can hope for is that Fields looks measurably better in Week 18 than he did in Week 3. Rookie QBs don't win. The best rookie QB ever statistically was Justin Herbert last season and the Chargers still limped to 7-9.

I can't listen to Chicago sports talk radio anymore, because the loving hypocrites who demanded that Fields must play are now the same ones pissing and moaning because the Bears lost to the Packers. Hello, morons, THIS IS WHAT YOU ASKED FOR. You stamp your feet and cry for the new kid and then are shocked, SHOCKED to discover gambling in this establishment that the Bears can't win with a rookie QB, when NO ONE has ever won with a rookie QB?

Fer gently caress's sake. Accept a year of mediocrity where the Bears can play with the other mediocre teams (hi, Vikings!), have a good chance to beat the poo poo teams (Good Morning, Detroit!) but will get your face caved in by the good teams. You know, like the Rams, Browns, and yes, the Packers. Hell, at least it wasn't a 20 point beatdown like it was against LA and Cleveland. Losing only by 10 to Green Bay is progress!

This season is entirely about Fields' development, and seeing which players on offense he develops chemistry with and who needs to be replaced for 2022, when things have a chance to improve. :colbert:

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Sataere posted:

When they play "Bang the Drum All Day" Aaron Rodgers doesn't even stand at attention and salute.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Please don't judge us on what Score listeners say. I think all of us in here just wanted Fields to start because the faster he's in there, the quicker he will develop or flame out.

Shrimpy posted:

When they play "Bang the Drum All Day" Aaron Rodgers doesn't even stand at attention and salute.

Disgraceful

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Ice Fist posted:

This is what I kinda wondered about too. Not saying he deserves to be fined (he doesn't) but if the NFL is going to fine players for taunting other players, what is the punishment for taunting paying fans? What if he pretended to moon the the woman that flipped him off?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

hobbesmaster posted:

Favre was only 23-13 against the Bears? It felt like more.

He was 22-10 before leaving Greenbay, and was only swept once in 2005.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Can you get penalized for taunting if it is directed at fat mouth, idiotic fans?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

jng2058 posted:

So hey, all you Bears fans who were beating the drums since April that Justin Fields Must Play, I do hope you're happy. Because this is what having a rookie QB looks like. He's going to struggle, he's going to throw dumb interceptions, he's going to look really bad sometimes. Accept right now that the 2021 Bears season is already lost. The only thing we can hope for is that Fields looks measurably better in Week 18 than he did in Week 3. Rookie QBs don't win. The best rookie QB ever statistically was Justin Herbert last season and the Chargers still limped to 7-9.

I can't listen to Chicago sports talk radio anymore, because the loving hypocrites who demanded that Fields must play are now the same ones pissing and moaning because the Bears lost to the Packers. Hello, morons, THIS IS WHAT YOU ASKED FOR. You stamp your feet and cry for the new kid and then are shocked, SHOCKED to discover gambling in this establishment that the Bears can't win with a rookie QB, when NO ONE has ever won with a rookie QB?

Fer gently caress's sake. Accept a year of mediocrity where the Bears can play with the other mediocre teams (hi, Vikings!), have a good chance to beat the poo poo teams (Good Morning, Detroit!) but will get your face caved in by the good teams. You know, like the Rams, Browns, and yes, the Packers. Hell, at least it wasn't a 20 point beatdown like it was against LA and Cleveland. Losing only by 10 to Green Bay is progress!

This season is entirely about Fields' development, and seeing which players on offense he develops chemistry with and who needs to be replaced for 2022, when things have a chance to improve. :colbert:

I didn't say he must play. I said he would play, because Andy dalton would be killed week one.
I was off by about 20 minutes when instead he exited week 2.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I once got Cade McNown to flip me the bird after heckling him, it was a very proud moment for me as a fan.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Abugadu posted:

I once got Cade McNown to flip me the bird after heckling him, it was a very proud moment for me as a fan.

:same: but it was Ronde Barber

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Abugadu posted:

Cade McNown is perhaps the most unlikeable Bears player in the past 30 years.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Timby posted:

Brian Urlacher is vastly more unlikable

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Timby posted:

Sam Hurd

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

He was 22-10 before leaving Greenbay, and was only swept once in 2005.

Bears swept Favre in 2007, when the Packers went 13-3 and lost to the Bears, Cowboys, and then Bears again.

That wasn’t even a particularly good Bears team that season. :shrug:

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Abugadu posted:

Were you parked in a handicap parking spot he wanted?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

jng2058 posted:

... when NO ONE has ever won with a rookie QB?

Steelers, Seahawks, Chiefs came pretty close, but obviously these were exceptions.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Selling weed makes someone unlikable?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Poor Lions, they just need a confidence booster to try and get things on track and instead they're gonna get destroyed by the Rams next weekend. And a good chunk of their fans are going to be rooting for it to happen, myself included.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Play posted:

The one good thing about this situation is what do the other NFC North teams have in terms of the future? Not much. The Packers have Jordan Love I guess, who's looked pretty much awful every time he's hit the field, and what's happening to Rodgers after this season? No one really knows but if he moves on they will have nothing basically. Vikings have Kirk with a 45 MILLION cap hit this year and a UFA next year. Who knows what happens there but paying him again seems unlikely. Lions... well the Lions don't have anything really in terms of QBs.

This is a pretty good take. Like you're saying...

-The Lions are in the first year of what will realistically be a 3+ year rebuilding project, and the odds are high that it'll fall apart like the Dolphins effort did because (1) tanking in the NFL is hard and (2) are the Lions REALLY gonna be the team that succeeds despite it all?

- The Vikings are going to mediocre their way to a roughly .500 record and not be in contention for top QB talent in the draft. Unless they win the Russell sweepstakes, they're gonna have a rookie, a journeyman, or fuckin' Kirk back. Meanwhile, Adam Thielen is exiting his prime and both their o-line and defense remain question marks, so odds that this team suddenly jumps to greatness are low. High floor, low ceiling.

- The Packers all depend on what happens with Rodgers and Love. As much as I'd like to fool myself, I think Rodgers is gone after this season no matter what. I think Love probably ends up being a bottom-10 starting QB in his first season, even if he does turn out to be decent-to-good eventually. If Rodgers is gone, I think Adams leaves too, and you end up with a team that's a notch or two below the Vikings in terms of roster quality and probably end up with 4-6 wins.

So, if Fields develops and Rodgers leaves, I think there's a pretty clear pathway for Chicago to take the division.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Selling weed makes someone unlikable?

No, the cocaine trafficking does

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Dexo posted:

:agesilaus:

Just a random shot in the Dark, what are your thoughts on Colin Kaepernick? :v:

I think he's great! Sticking it to institutional racism and sticking it to fans of a losing team seem like they are on opposite sides of the room.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

tinstaach posted:

Poor Lions, they just need a confidence booster to try and get things on track and instead they're gonna get destroyed by the Rams next weekend. And a good chunk of their fans are going to be rooting for it to happen, myself included.

Matt deserves this

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Sataere posted:

Oh he plays the game exceptionally.

I did not like the taunting thing, which is more meta-game in my mind.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

surf rock posted:

This is a pretty good take. Like you're saying...

-The Lions are in the first year of what will realistically be a 3+ year rebuilding project, and the odds are high that it'll fall apart like the Dolphins effort did because (1) tanking in the NFL is hard and (2) are the Lions REALLY gonna be the team that succeeds despite it all?

- The Vikings are going to mediocre their way to a roughly .500 record and not be in contention for top QB talent in the draft. Unless they win the Russell sweepstakes, they're gonna have a rookie, a journeyman, or fuckin' Kirk back. Meanwhile, Adam Thielen is exiting his prime and both their o-line and defense remain question marks, so odds that this team suddenly jumps to greatness are low. High floor, low ceiling.

- The Packers all depend on what happens with Rodgers and Love. As much as I'd like to fool myself, I think Rodgers is gone after this season no matter what. I think Love probably ends up being a bottom-10 starting QB in his first season, even if he does turn out to be decent-to-good eventually. If Rodgers is gone, I think Adams leaves too, and you end up with a team that's a notch or two below the Vikings in terms of roster quality and probably end up with 4-6 wins.

So, if Fields develops and Rodgers leaves, I think there's a pretty clear pathway for Chicago to take the division.

Exactly. Also, while I haven't been paying tons of attention to college football, from what I have seen it doesn't look like this coming crop is going to be all that. Might have one decent to good starter, if that. Of course I could and very well may be totally wrong about that but this group doesn't look as strong as some of the drafts we've had in certain recent years.

That being said I haven't been following the Rodgers thing and I almost think that they will find some way to keep him especially if this season goes as well as it's looking like it might. It's just hard to imagine Rodgers actually ending up somewhere else, if he does stay that would obviously put a wrench in the works.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Bears fans are trash. Rodgers is a smug rear end in a top hat.

Both things can be true.

But can we pivot from dunking on the Bears to talk about how Lions fans think that getting the #1 pick is somehow a valid consolation prize? As if the Lions have ever done poo poo with their draft picks? Maybe if you want to build a "winning culture" you should focus on loving winning first. The draft is a dice roll.

It's so cute that the Bears are settling in with Fields, but the Lions think they have hope and are are building something with their amateur head coach who cries one week then publicly calls out his starting QB the next week.

You think it can't get worse? It can.

And it will.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Play posted:

That being said I haven't been following the Rodgers thing and I almost think that they will find some way to keep him especially if this season goes as well as it's looking like it might. It's just hard to imagine Rodgers actually ending up somewhere else, if he does stay that would obviously put a wrench in the works.

The one thing I'll say about the Love pick is what I said at the time: drafting him so early and getting him through multiple years of practices will mean the Packers have a *lot* of information about him after his first season as a starter. They should have seen enough at that point to know whether he's good enough to stick with. If they think he's a bust at that point, they might move on after one season and give us a second shot at finding a QB of the future faster than would've otherwise happened. Take Zach Wilson for example; the Jets are going to give him 2-3 years to prove it even if he barely improves from his current dreadful play.

As blessed as the Packers have been for the past, well, 30 years, I also don't think Green Bay can really afford another stretch like the '70s and '80s as such a small-market team in the modern NFL. A few bad years would be fine, but decades of futility would open the gates for the Jerry Jones and Bob Krafts of the world to come after you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What’s funny is doing draft is extremely defense heavy and we know how building around a defensive player goes for the lions

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I feel like the lions can't trade down as well as other teams, and that's seems like what they should do next year too. I'm basing that on absolutely nothing, but I don't think this draft is the one to get a QB.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

jng2058 posted:

Have you considered that right now, Justin fields is playing at a higher level than any bears QB has in history? Fans want at least a Kyle Orton experience where they win via safeties in overtime

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Styles Bitchley posted:

Bears fans are trash. Rodgers is a smug rear end in a top hat.

Both things can be true.

But can we pivot from dunking on the Bears to talk about how Lions fans think that getting the #1 pick is somehow a valid consolation prize? As if the Lions have ever done poo poo with their draft picks? Maybe if you want to build a "winning culture" you should focus on loving winning first. The draft is a dice roll.

It's so cute that the Bears are settling in with Fields, but the Lions think they have hope and are are building something with their amateur head coach who cries one week then publicly calls out his starting QB the next week.

You think it can't get worse? It can.

And it will.

The Lions drafted Stafford with 1st overall and look how that turned out. That's right, two first round draft picks. Checkmate. :smug:

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What would Rodgers say to Lions fans? Would he attempt to reason with them and implore them to stop going to games?

I dealt with Lions fans that seem to be blaming Anthony Lynn's playcalling for all our problems? I mean Goff is right there being total poo poo.

Lions fans are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If the Lions lose to the Eagles and fall to 0-8 and MCDC is staring at 0-17. I can't imagine what he'll do.

I also don't want him to lose out the year. I still like him.

Patricia going 0-17 would have been glorious. He likely would have went 0-16 last year without Stafford.