Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Depends how big the hole is but usually a new tube is all that’s required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

C-Euro posted:

So if you have a flat tube due to a puncture, does that necessitate also replacing the tire? Or can you still bike on the same tire if you remove the offending debris?
One of the main jobs of a tire is to hold the tube in. It should do a good job of that until the fabric inside the rubber is compromised. Usually from a slice. If you can't find any loose threads and there is no bulging when pumped up, it's most likely fine.

I replied without clicking on the next page.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

^^^^ This question was an irresistable trap, wasn't it?

C-Euro posted:

So if you have a flat tube due to a puncture, does that necessitate also replacing the tire? Or can you still bike on the same tire if you remove the offending debris?

Yup. Just patch or replace the tube, reinflate the tire, and go on your merry way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hey I've only had this bike for a year and a half and this is my first flat. And now I can't even ride it to the bike shop to get a replacement tube :negative: Better that it went out at home than on the road I guess...

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The only time I went anywhere on my bike without a spare tube and pump in the past year I ended up walking home.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The last time I got a flat on a tubed bike I got a second flat later and still had to walk home. The universe was mad at me.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
So I got an update on the SRAM Rival AXS gruppo and it seems that hydraulic shifters are unicorns and won't be available until next year. I tried upgrading to the Force AXS gruppo and it is more or less the same interminable wait. The universe is sending me vibes that I should probably wait until Spring 2022 to buy a wireless groupset and in the meantime just pick up some Shimano 105 which still seems like you can order.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The last time I got a flat on a tubed bike I got a second flat later and still had to walk home. The universe was mad at me.

Lol yup I always carry 2 tubes even if it means strapping a saddle bag the size of a brick to my bike.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

osker posted:

So I got an update on the SRAM Rival AXS gruppo and it seems that hydraulic shifters are unicorns and won't be available until next year. I tried upgrading to the Force AXS gruppo and it is more or less the same interminable wait. The universe is sending me vibes that I should probably wait until Spring 2022 to buy a wireless groupset and in the meantime just pick up some Shimano 105 which still seems like you can order.
What you should get is ultegra di2 and forget about that sram nonsense *spit*

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I woke up at 6:30 AM on Saturday and went down to the garage (I live in a 2nd floor condo above my street-facing garage) to get my bike and was greeted with a wide open garage door and 4 of my bikes stolen, including my fancy expensive carbon di2 road bike I was planning on riding. The thieves simply jammed a screwdriver into the key switch that operates the automatic door opener and took off with the 4 bikes closest to the front. Taken were my 2015 Felt AR di2, a 2010 Trek / Gary Fisher Presidio set up for gravel, a 1984 Gitane Kilo track bike (that I was trying to sell, they did me a favor on this one) and worst of all, my wife's super sweet purple 1990 Miyata Alumitech 1400. It's the first bike she bought all for herself, and while she has nicer road and mountain bikes, they're all replaceable modern bikes. That one is the only one in the fleet that she had a real emotional attachment to.

Wierdly enough, the Miyata showed up for sale on the local OfferUp about 5 hours later, under two separate accounts that also were selling multiple bikes shared between the two accounts. I made offers on both bikes, but no response so far. I really hope they try and sell it to me so I can show up with a few buddies and get it back. Everything else can be replaced, and renter's insurance will cover it, but that one....drat.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I had my Focus Mares Di2 stolen and recovered in less than 48 hours by meeting up with the ad listed on CL. It's a long story but the guy ended up ditching the bike against a nearby wall and ran away before the cops could pull off the sting. Dunno what tipped him off, except maybe that undercover cops are actually as conspicuous as their ghost cars.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 18, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

What you should get is ultegra di2 and forget about that sram nonsense *spit*

I’ll fight you

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

tylertfb posted:

worst of all, my wife's super sweet purple 1990 Miyata Alumitech 1400. It's the first bike she bought all for herself, and while she has nicer road and mountain bikes, they're all replaceable modern bikes. That one is the only one in the fleet that she had a real emotional attachment to.

Bike thieves are the worst. Not only do they take something of value, the bike often has a significant emotional attachment. It is a very personal piece of property.

Looking forward, I would get a pair of these, one for each side of the garage door.
https://www.grainger.com/product/AMERICAN-GARAGE-DOOR-SUPPLY-Steel-Garage-Door-Locking-5MVG8?opr=APPD&analytics=altItems_5MVG9
There has been a spate of garage thefts in our area, and a garage opening system was unfortunately too easy to bypass. The MO was to get a wire between the top of the garage door and the header, then fish around for the emergency release. Once the release was sprung, they would just list the door manually.

Just make sure you open the deadbolts before opening the garage door. It was not a happy sound when I forgot one time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speaking of stolen bikes, look at what followed me back home... after I followed it home... and I called a few friends to come meet me.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 19, 2021

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
After a couple of bike thefts I stuck some apple air tags under the seat. Hopefully it will be a bit of a way to track it in the event of another theft.

If my Cervelo disappeared I would cry

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Having bikes stolen always sucks.

I was pissed when my garage got hit 2 years ago and they took my wifes bike and my Journeyman. I was LIVID when I ran into someone on it last summer but didn't have the opportunity to do something about it and I was just loving angry when I ran into tonight's different scumbag and while tailing him was told by the 911 operator that the cops just weren't going to come help me because it was low priority.

So I had to call some friends and we knocked on the door ourselves. Told the older well off looking man who answered the door that his tenant ('*sigh* no he's not a tennant...") had my bike and I knew the serial number and he could either turn over the bike or we'd be waiting out front until the cops finally made time to come make an arrest. He asked for the last 3 digits of the serial number, went back inside and opened the door a minute later with scumbag standing behind him, bike in hand.

Sorry about your grown rear end failson duder, nice house, thanks for my bike.

Now I gotta get that poo poo off my bike. Not worried about the crank, I still have the drivetrain from Journeyman #2 somewhere.

Edit: lmao the cops just left. They came here to follow up on my 911 call and got the entire story including addresses and are going to bust the guy anyway.

Kid, you bought the wrong stolen bike.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 19, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Tube update: got replacement tubes, spent an hour last night meticulously examining the tire for the source of the puncture and then struggling to put the tire back on over the new tube, I wake up this morning and the loving thing is flat again :suicide: I'm just going to take it to the shop and have them replace it, I don't care what they charge.

What's more likely- I didn't actually remove the source of the initial flat, or I somehow damaged the new tube while putting it in?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EvilJoven posted:

Kid, you bought the wrong stolen bike.

Nothing's going to happen to him if he just says he bought it cash and doesn't remember any details, right?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Tube update: got replacement tubes, spent an hour last night meticulously examining the tire for the source of the puncture and then struggling to put the tire back on over the new tube, I wake up this morning and the loving thing is flat again :suicide: I'm just going to take it to the shop and have them replace it, I don't care what they charge.

What's more likely- I didn't actually remove the source of the initial flat, or I somehow damaged the new tube while putting it in?

Depending on how meticulous "meticulous" is, my guess is the latter. I've definitely had that happen before. In fact, when I swapped out old tyres for new ones earlier this year, I pinched both tubes when I put the new tyres on, which meant I had to replace the tubes as well.

Be careful with using lifters if you're struggling to get the last bit of the tyre to go on :)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

EvilJoven posted:

Speaking of stolen bikes, look at what followed me back home... after I followed it home... and I called a few friends to come meet me.

Glad you got your bike back!

C-Euro posted:

Could be either. Tiny wire radials from car tires have a way of sticking perpendicular into your tire and hiding imbedded deep in your tire. Just enough to prick the tube. Good practice is to pull the tube out and keep the valve aligned with the valve hole. Then pump some air into the tube and find the hole. If you kept the tube aligned with the tire/wheel you can do a close up search of that spot to find the offending shard/wire stuck in your tire.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Nothing's going to happen to him if he just says he bought it cash and doesn't remember any details, right?

If he’s smart (lol) he could just not say anything to the cops, they don’t have enough evidence for an arrest. As of right now it’s just Person A making a report that Person B stole their bike, but Person B doesn’t have it in their possession anymore.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Sounds about white

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lex Neville posted:

Depending on how meticulous "meticulous" is, my guess is the latter. I've definitely had that happen before. In fact, when I swapped out old tyres for new ones earlier this year, I pinched both tubes when I put the new tyres on, which meant I had to replace the tubes as well.

Be careful with using lifters if you're struggling to get the last bit of the tyre to go on :)

Is there a trick for getting that last 10% or so of the tire back over the rim and into the wheel groove? That was far and away the worst part of it, and if I did rip the tube at any point it would have been during my brute forcing the final bit of tire back into place.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

LOL no guy was legit spooked when handing the bike over and was all 'I didn't steal that bike So And So did!", when the cops show up he's gonna sing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

If he’s smart (lol) he could just not say anything to the cops, they don’t have enough evidence for an arrest. As of right now it’s just Person A making a report that Person B stole their bike, but Person B doesn’t have it in their possession anymore.

He knew I was following him and led me straight to his house. That's how smart he is. Also we have witnesses who all heard the conversation. I know from experience that alone is enough for charges.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 19, 2021

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Sab0921 posted:

After a couple of bike thefts I stuck some apple air tags under the seat. Hopefully it will be a bit of a way to track it in the event of another theft.

If my Cervelo disappeared I would cry
Around me someone was using airtags to track their stolen bike. Found the house it was taken to and the cops got a warrant to go in to retrieve it. Turned out to be a bunch of other stolen bikes inside waiting to be flipped. After hearing all that I went ahead and grabbed some bottle cage airtag thingies for my wife and I.

Edit: This is what I grabbed cuz we both use those bontrager cages and the airtag mounts fit seamlessly underneath them. It's pretty slick. Plenty of other mounting options all over etsy though.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 19, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya that's the big reason why the cops are going to bust the guy, they said for all they know his house is full of stolen/fenced stuff.

I'm kinda wondering if the dad is going to kick him out after having a squad car out front of his fancy rear end house on a nice Monday evening. Now the kid can go from wanna be crust punk pretending to live under a bridge in the west end to actual crust punk living under a bridge in the west end.

Probably not though, the dad had 'Im not surprised, just dissapointed' air about him when we knocked on his door to get my bike back.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Is there a trick for getting that last 10% or so of the tire back over the rim and into the wheel groove? That was far and away the worst part of it, and if I did rip the tube at any point it would have been during my brute forcing the final bit of tire back into place.

Yes, you want to make sure the tire on the far side of the wheel is centered in the bed of the rim. Since that's lower it'll give you a bit more slack to play with, hopefully enough to get the last bit over the rim wall.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

C-Euro posted:

There's an alternative way the first can go - it's not something in the tyre that's causing the flat, but something in the rim. I had loads of problems on my commuter years ago until I discovered a small shard of metal that had become embedded in the rim tape.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I try to always find the spot on the tube that is punctured before putting a new one in. Getting it wet can help if it's a slow leak
For seating a new tube, the way I avoid pinching the tube is to start at the valve stem, using the valve stem to push the tube up into the tire to seat it. Work my way around one direction to about 3/4s of the way around (or about when it starts getting hard). Then start working my way back the other direction, letting the tire "unseat" from the rim (but leaving the tube fully up in there hopefully). Then only use tire levers when I'm back around 3 o'clock, so that I'm at much lower risk of pinching the tube.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's an alternative way the first can go - it's not something in the tyre that's causing the flat, but something in the rim. I had loads of problems on my commuter years ago until I discovered a small shard of metal that had become embedded in the rim tape.

We had a guy who was guaranteed a puncture every ride until he changed his wheels. Same issue.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Make sure you partially inflate your tube too when you put it in. Not a lot, but enough to hold its shape so you are less likely to pinch it. Also check your rim tape.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Make sure you partially inflate your tube too when you put it in. Not a lot, but enough to hold its shape so you are less likely to pinch it. Also check your rim tape.

Good call.
The cloth rim tape is so so worth it.

Bunny Fiesta
Apr 14, 2005

C-Euro posted:

A Koolstop tire bead jack has let me put on stubborn tires after pinching a few tubes trying to get them on.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I haven’t had a pinch flat since I started doing this:
Baby powder in the tire before putting the tube inside. Not a lot, just enough to keep friction between tire and tube down a bit.
Get tire and tube on the rim using tricks outlined by previous posters itt.
Partially inflate (like 10 psi) to almost but not quite seat the bead.
Hold the wheel like a steering wheel and work around the circumference wiggling the tire and tube enough to see between the rim and bead and know the tube is entirely contained in the tire.
—If any of the tube is trapped, let the air out and rock the tire back and forth till it’s not trapped, reinflate back to 10ish psi and keep going.
When it’s all good, inflate up to riding pressure.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Bunny Fiesta posted:

A Koolstop tire bead jack has let me put on stubborn tires after pinching a few tubes trying to get them on.

This. Just buy a bead jack. Koolstop or even a generic one from AliExpress or wherever. No other bike tool has so little mindshare relative to how much of a difference it makes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Stolen Journeyman rehab update.

Remember how I said someone else had the bike last year when I spotted it, and there were different stickers on it?

And underneath that...

Welp.

Put some big arse shop stickers back on to cover the bare aluminum and I guess I'm getting it painted or something.

Rest of the bike is surprisingly mechanically sound. Just needed a quick tune. Desperately needs a drivetrain refresh but that's a later project.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The other trick is to finish at the valve on tight tires. The beads can't drop into the rim channel there so you get a little more room starting on the opposite side, and also that keeps the tube from getting pinched at the last part. Then also don't use a tire lever to put the tires on.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

jamal posted:

Then also don't use a tire lever to put the tires on.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

C-Euro posted:

Placing the mounted bead in the center and starting opposite the valve as already mentioned works 90% of the time. If you really don't want to use levers eg with a tight bead on a carbon rim, I found smearing a drop of liquid soap along the rim at that 10% arc helped it move. Also use your whole hand not just thumbs. Rest a few seconds then push the tire up with your palms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

EvilJoven posted:

Stolen Journeyman rehab update.

Remember how I said someone else had the bike last year when I spotted it, and there were different stickers on it?

And underneath that...

Welp.

Put some big arse shop stickers back on to cover the bare aluminum and I guess I'm getting it painted or something.

Rest of the bike is surprisingly mechanically sound. Just needed a quick tune. Desperately needs a drivetrain refresh but that's a later project.

The thief stickers were cool!