Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hell for a lot of people I'm sure that you could give them like, an acre or two of woodland to maintain and as long as they have internet and poo poo like that they'll be happy as a clam.

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/shreyas_k_reddy/status/1450041846692937731

for context this is the guy from the fringe right wing universal basic income party

Mmm I don't think they missed the point of the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/shreyas_k_reddy/status/1450041846692937731

for context this is the guy from the fringe right wing universal basic income party

haha they're wearing the things from the recent media thing. cool

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

Hell for a lot of people I'm sure that you could give them like, an acre or two of woodland to maintain and as long as they have internet and poo poo like that they'll be happy as a clam.

i don't even need the internet to be happy with this. gimmie that forest to maintain i'll be a druid and the forest will thrive

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Johnny_suputama/status/1449908602274291719

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Grapplejack posted:

Thing is, that was then, when factories were brand new and largely needed human hands to function. Now you can run an entire factory with little more than a handful of engineers and maintenance guys, replacing the work of 100 men with less than 20.

The last thing you want for your view of communism is an echo of the Capitalist "makework programs" where you have people doing jobs that have no meaning for no other reason than to have them working.

Agreed. It’s time for Fully Automated Epic Bacon Space Communism in China.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I would imagine the late Soviet rock/punk scene had similar origins.

--------------------

yeah, it’s not 100% surprising the youths would be disillusioned and even find more inspiration in anarchism by that point, sadly.

mama anarhiya by kino posted:

A soldier was walking home,
And he met some guys on the way
"Hey guys, who is your mother?"
The soldier asked them that day

Our mother is Anarchy!
Our father - a glass of wine.

All of them wore leather jackets,
All of them were not very tall.
The soldier tried to move past them,
But he couldn't get through at all

A rather unusual joke
Those guys played on him afterwards
They painted his face red and blue,
And they made him say bad words.

moya oborona by grazhdanskaya oborona posted:

The plastic world has won
The model turned out to be stronger
The last boat has cooled down
The last flashlight is tired

and lumps of memories sniff in my throat

Ohh, my defense
Reflections of light on a glass eye
Ohh, my defense
The mournful ball of a silly world
The mournful ball of a cheap world

The plastic world has won.
The cardboard alarm rejoices-

who needs a slice of the sky in July?

Ohh, my defense
Reflections of light on the blind world
Ohh, my defense
The mournful ball of a glass eye
The mournful reflections of a ridiculous world ...

The plastic world has won
The model turned out to be stronger
The last boat has cooled down
The last flashlight is tired

and lumps of memories sniff in my throat.

Ohh, my defense
The mourning ball of a blind world
Ohh, my defense
Reflections of light on a glass eye

Ohh, my defense!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Some Indian startup made some weapons for the Indian troops who got into a hand to hand fight with Chinese soldiers on the border.

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1449972165751689216

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Some Indian startup made some weapons for the Indian troops who got into a hand to hand fight with Chinese soldiers on the border.

capitalism was always great at solving practical problems

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

They should have added a damaru to the trident so you could fight people Shiva style.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Now China must develop stun capable flying guillotine.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

OK I'm a massive dumbass, who is that, burt reynolds?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Speaking of weaponry, China supposedly tested an orbital glider in August. If it is true, then basically, the US has no counter-response.

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

30.5 Days posted:

It's clearly Gomez from the Addams Family. I swear goon face-blindness gets worse everyday.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Speaking of weaponry, China supposedly tested an orbital glider in August. If it is true, then basically, the US has no counter-response.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It got posted here already but mostly ignored for obvious reasons.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
apparently they’re denying it but claiming it was a spacecraft?

https://twitter.com/cnnphilippines/status/1450125239799599105?s=21

wynott dunn has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Oct 18, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

indira gandhi and nouri al-maliki

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sputnik was a scientific mission, but the rocket carrying it showed that the Soviet Union had long-range capabilities. It may be a comparable situation here.

-----

Also, yeah, it got posted before, but it shows that China may very well is already starting to eclipse the US in key fields (with semi-conductors being a fairly notable exception although the gap is also closing).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:54 on Oct 18, 2021

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

how do you get caught off guard by 60 year old tech?

Torpor has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Oct 18, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
China has already surpassed the US in every conceivable metric. What we're seeing on Twitter are lagging indicators of economic decisions made over a decade ago. All the US has left is the ability to destroy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Centrist Committee posted:

China has already surpassed the US in every conceivable metric. What we're seeing on Twitter are lagging indicators of economic decisions made over a decade ago. All the US has left is the ability to destroy.

And soon they will relearn their place!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grapplejack posted:

and when they insist on practices that risk catastrophic forest fire because freedom...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so what are these hypersonic re-entry vehicles anyway? media keeps talking about them like their space planes which doesnt seem right

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so what are these hypersonic re-entry vehicles anyway? media keeps talking about them like their space planes which doesnt seem right

they're scramjets with a warhead attached

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Raskolnikov38 posted:

an ICBM has a hypersonic re-entry vehicle.

the media are latching on to buzzwords again.

someone mentioned the Chinese built a FOBS. the soviets either built or theorized a fractional orbital bombardment system (FOBS) but it’s basically just a derivative of an orbital vehicle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_Orbital_Bombardment_System

the drawback of the FOBS is that it looks to everyone like you’re trying to launch nuclear first strikes, and nuclear launches are observed by orbiting satellites so their low trajectory is not helpful for avoiding detection.

Torpor has issued a correction as of 23:53 on Oct 18, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Centrist Committee posted:

It's amazing that Chinese life expectancy is now longer than American life expectancy. I haven't seen a single mention of it anywhere in the English-language media.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1450240396227866625?s=20

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

L-mao

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

lol, owned

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The editor in Chief Shekhar Gupta of ThePrint has a "world news for dummies" series on YouTube called Cut The Clutter.

It's a good one-man podcast style news chitchat to play in the background.

Here is him talking about The Chinese hyperbolic missile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvAQQYjYQ_k

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Chamale posted:

It's amazing that Chinese life expectancy is now longer than American life expectancy. I haven't seen a single mention of it anywhere in the English-language media.

Well before the pandemic, America was enjoying its 3rd straight year of declining life expectancy, so its kinda old news.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Ardennes posted:

Also, yeah, it got posted before, but it shows that China may very well is already starting to eclipse the US in key fields (with semi-conductors being a fairly notable exception although the gap is also closing).

yeah ive been keeping an eye on the semiconductor stuff and it seems like its really just a matter of "oh we have to make these ourselves now? ok" and needing a couple of years to build out the insanely expensive fabs, and for some of the REALLY bleeding edge stuff, a couple more to catch up where there were a couple of research attempts that failed. very realistic the US will be behind in semiconductors by 2030, it's that bad. or, well, good lol. there will be a couple of wacky specific but not very necessary things the US will screech about saying they're still ahead but it would require so much reorienting of the entire government and society to instead build it around around NOT cutting into every bone to make some rear end in a top hat a buck in order to keep the inexorable brain drain and decline out of the dying empire relevant, which quite frankly, isn't going to happen

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Chamale posted:

I thought that was only healthy life expectancy and not overall

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Got to over feed the Americans to maintain the quarterly profit of the health care sector.

They just made electric cigarette virtually impossible to buy in the US to make people go back to paper cigarettes, which is about 20 times more harmful to the lungs.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Oct 19, 2021

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

The editor in Chief Shekhar Gupta of ThePrint has a "world news for dummies" series on YouTube called Cut The Clutter.

It's a good one-man podcast style news chitchat to play in the background.

Here is him talking about The Chinese hyperbolic missile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvAQQYjYQ_k

lol shekhar gupta. my man's head is lodged firmly in the government's rear. He wrote poo poo like the Indian government was afraid of a coup on a routine military exercise that had already been communicated to both the government and Pakistani military liaisons at the border. No points for guessing how far his head is up the current administration's rear end.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The power of Yogi's UP. Can you believe the Chief Minister of this meme state went around campaigning about how he was going to turn other states into versions of his state and the BJP proceeded to lose all those elections?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

a non lethal trident? but it can kill you like any kind of spear?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Torpor posted:

an ICBM has a hypersonic re-entry vehicle.

the media are latching on to buzzwords again.

someone mentioned the Chinese built a FOBS. the soviets either built or theorized a fractional orbital bombardment system (FOBS) but it’s basically just a derivative of an orbital vehicle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_Orbital_Bombardment_System

the drawback of the FOBS is that it looks to everyone like you’re trying to launch nuclear first strikes, and nuclear launches are observed by orbiting satellites so their low trajectory is not helpful for avoiding detection.

If your primary goal is making sure a dying, erratic empire doesn't suddenly convince themselves that their anti-missile systems can stop an ICBM and yolo'ing armageddon, these seem like a worthwhile investment.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

this is so loving funny

knew Japan was the US's bitch but giving up sovereignty is some next level poo poo

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'm sure they've had as much choice as any of the other american puppets across the globe but it sure is funny now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reading up on China's nuke program and the US was so caught off-guard that it had to pivot to india to stop proliferation

we thought we had a decade or two once the USSR pulled out of development and the Chinese took five years

also Kennedy wanted to first-strike when they saw the test area being finalized and had to be talked out of it