Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
crappy construction? kinda...

i noticed a cabinet above my fridge was slowly sagging and decided to fix it.

hopped up on a ladder and took a look:

oh yeah? holding this cabinet up and 100lbs of poo poo inside of it, was the banding on the edge of the wood :eyepop:

oh word, what's this (gray object in foreground)? someone put spare flooring tiles up on top of the cabinet? 3 of these ten+ pound tiles?

removed tiles, pulled the fridge out, put my 3rd hand tools under the cabinet and put it back to level and re-screwed it back into the wall. it was sagging around 1.5" on the left side by the time i leveled it out.

i realized why the tiles were up top...because the previous owner had a surround speaker setup and they wanted the speakers to sit high enough that they werent being blocked by the top trim piece.

yeah, put 30 extra pounds of poo poo on top of a cabinet instead of any other number of things that aren't 30 pounds and would accomplish the same thing :v: great plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah, put 30 extra pounds of poo poo on top of a cabinet instead of any other number of things that aren't 30 pounds and would accomplish the same thing :v: great plan

Fuckin' Gary.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Never mind that you’re supposed to put the screws holding the cabinet up more than 1/4” from the edge, particularly when they’re particle board. Ideally, inside the cabinet?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Motronic posted:

Stucco is very very popular in the northeast for cheap rear end big box development houses because it's cheap as poo poo comparted to anything other than T1-11.

I think that's the thing you need to understand about stucco: it's cheap.

I got to take part in a meeting on a project where one of the techs hanging cameras hosed up hanging one on exterior stucco. The scope of work could be summed up as "You break it, you pay to fix it". Oh boy that integrator was loving pissed.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

A lady on my Nextdoor is (rightfully) upset at the job her 'builder' did on some deck stairs. In the Nextdoor post she noted the difference between the biggest and smallest step is 5".

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Thomamelas posted:

I got to take part in a meeting on a project where one of the techs hanging cameras hosed up hanging one on exterior stucco. The scope of work could be summed up as "You break it, you pay to fix it". Oh boy that integrator was loving pissed.

Had an integrator decom an office building we closed (they made everyone permanent work from home, doing this all over now), and their idiot tech removed the relatively new HID card readers by cutting the cable right at the back of the epoxy potted reader. I am at least getting 15 brand new card readers out of that fuckup.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Sloppy posted:

A lady on my Nextdoor is (rightfully) upset at the job her 'builder' did on some deck stairs. In the Nextdoor post she noted the difference between the biggest and smallest step is 5".

Omg I want to see that whole monstrosity.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Oh. My. God.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kid sinister posted:

Oh. My. God.

Those aren't bubbles in the tub, that's coke

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh man does the monkey poo poo water on you

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Did they add a shitter to Legends of the Hidden Temple?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Light a candle cuz Olmec's gotta take a dump.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

Had an integrator decom an office building we closed (they made everyone permanent work from home, doing this all over now), and their idiot tech removed the relatively new HID card readers by cutting the cable right at the back of the epoxy potted reader. I am at least getting 15 brand new card readers out of that fuckup.

That is impressively stupid. I now spend my time teaching integrator techs on CCTV stuff. I imagine this true for lots of trades but sometimes the gap in skills and talent scares me. I've worked with companies that take training seriously. And their techs do great work and do it quickly. And there are other companies who see any training as something to resent. Last year during the summer when lots of integrators had little to do, we offered free online training classes. All lab based, using VMs to give them an actual practical space to work in. Some took advantage of it, got a dozen of their people certified. Others sent receptionists, people from their accounting department, anyone who will never do field work.

And why would they do this petty bullshit? Because we tie certs to the techs, not the companies. Which owners of lovely integration companies hate because it gives the techs some leverage. To buy certain versions of the software, you need X number of techs with Y certs. If the techs leave and we find out (and we generally do) then the company gets cut off from being able to buy new versions (we don't stop supporting existing installs because that would be lovely). So they try to game the system because a receptionist can't really leverage the cert.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

Oh. My. God.

FEMALE STATUS: ATTRACTED

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

:females: STATUS: ATTRACTED

FTFY

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm a little perplexed by the shower in my hotel room. Walk in shower with a little 1 inch lip, but it's got a curtain like you'd use on a tub shower, and it's even on a curved rod to ensure it's hanging out over the floor. It creates a huge puddle on the floor immediately.

Everything else is pretty good, but it's like for this one specific thing they just went "eh, gently caress it".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

you're supposed to put the curtain inside the lip. that is a perfectly normal shower

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It's not long enough to stay inside the lip.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you're supposed to put the curtain inside the lip. that is a perfectly normal shower

Yeah, I have the same thing in the bath off my bedroom (I hesitate to call it a "master" bath). It's smallish stall with a curtain and slightly higher lip. You're definitely supposed to make sure the curtain stays behind the lip, someone hosed up on installing the rod for that one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Spare the rod, spoil the floor.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's not long enough to stay inside the lip.

That's what your mom said to me last night. :smith:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm a little perplexed by the shower in my hotel room. Walk in shower with a little 1 inch lip, but it's got a curtain like you'd use on a tub shower, and it's even on a curved rod to ensure it's hanging out over the floor. It creates a huge puddle on the floor immediately.

Everything else is pretty good, but it's like for this one specific thing they just went "eh, gently caress it".

There must be a codex of Motel Law somewhere, that requires those curved shower rods, because now, they're everywhere.

It won't work for that shower with the mandated Cheap-rear end Shower Curtain, since it the rod was hung too high and it seems like curtains with proper weights built into the bottom seem to be a thing of the past.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The minute the shower is run, air pressure alone will blow that cheap-rear end curtain right out. Not sure that even a 4" lip would stop it.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
The curved shower rods are about creating a feeling of having more space.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PainterofCrap posted:

The minute the shower is run, air pressure alone will blow that cheap-rear end curtain right out. Not sure that even a 4" lip would stop it.

I actually figured out that if you run the water nice and hot and the room is cold, the draft sucks the bottom in and slightly reduces the leakage out onto the floor. It's definitely way too flimsy of a curtain to stay inside the lip even if it was long enough.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s a hot water pool. Brimming with green energy.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Thomamelas posted:

The curved shower rods are about creating a feeling of having more space.

Disagree completely. They are amazing for broad shouldered people. I can turn around comfortably in my shower without remodeling the entire bathroom.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The shower in my hotel doesn't have a curtain at all!

It's a great room overall, however water gets everywhere.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Leviathan Song posted:

Disagree completely. They are amazing for broad shouldered people. I can turn around comfortably in my shower without remodeling the entire bathroom.

yeah, a curved shower rod doesn't just create a feeling of more space, it creates more actual space. it's nice for lathering up and rinsing off since you can move your arms around a lot more and not get tangled up in the curtain

sorry to OP for the too-short hotel shower curtain though

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

It’s a hot water pool. Brimming with green energy.

Is the water not just grounded, and the red wire goes to an outlet somewhere?

... please?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

hahaha holy poo poo my brain took in the word 'hot' and the numbers and assumed it was temperature, initially

Jows
May 8, 2002

Yeah my first assumption was it was a thermocouple reader. Then I looked closer...

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Jows posted:

Yeah my first assumption was it was a thermocouple reader. Then I looked closer...

:same:

:stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GoonyMcGoonface posted:

Is the water not just grounded, and the red wire goes to an outlet somewhere?

... please?

The red probe is pressed against the bare metal of the pole that’s barely in frame. That pole is fully hot. The black wire in the pool is the low side, but it still has significant potential to ground. The pole is creating a voltage gradient across the pool.

quote:

[–]Sparrowhawk-Ahra[S] 50 points 2 months ago
See the pole next to it? Housing was charged and somehow got to the pool. Only half the pool was charged, gave a pretty mean jolt.

[–]Cormagnon 7 points 2 months ago
Only half the pool was charged, gave a pretty mean jolt.
how did you measure elsewhere

[–]Sparrowhawk-Ahra[S] 7 points 2 months ago
Stuck a hand in. Hurts a sec but it only tagged the hand. So measured by the poles, there where three holding the roof up. Stuck a hand in real quick to see how bad then walked to the other side nothing. Weirdly, there was a gap of no charge in a sweet spot between the poles.

[–]zordtkJourneyman 39 points 2 months ago
So what you are saying is that you voluntarily put your hand into that water not once but twice?

https://old.reddit.com/r/electricians/comments/oxc6u7/an_interesting_job_today/

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

ROJO posted:

Hello blue-Hardie (although mine is HardiePanel with their battens over the top) and cedar friend :hfive:

Also, never use HardiePanel unless you are paying someone to do it. What a gigantic PITA. Great stuff, lasts amazingly well, but jesus what a nightmare to install.

Oh, blue Hardie?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

E: Oh there was another page.

Not to start another euro/us derail, but I kind of like the solution in my apartment - which also seems common enough around the country. No lip around the shower, just curtains and a slope to the drain. The entire bathroom has the same waterproof flooring, and there is a very mild slope towards the shower (or sometimes another drain).

The downside is that the floor does get wet, unless your curtains are long enough to touch the floor - and they quickly go a bit grody if they do. The upside is that you can easily squeegee any water into the drain. You can wash the entire floor quickly by hosing it down with the shower, and if you need to do something inconvenient you can open the curtains, accept that everything will be drenched, and use most of the floor.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Computer viking posted:

The downside is that the floor does get wet, unless your curtains are long enough to touch the floor - and they quickly go a bit grody if they do. The upside is that you can easily squeegee any water into the drain. You can wash the entire floor quickly by hosing it down with the shower, and if you need to do something inconvenient you can open the curtains, accept that everything will be drenched, and use most of the floor.

You can get a bidet attachment for your toilet, no need to mess your whole bathroom!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Computer viking posted:

E: Oh there was another page.

Not to start another euro/us derail, but I kind of like the solution in my apartment - which also seems common enough around the country. No lip around the shower, just curtains and a slope to the drain. The entire bathroom has the same waterproof flooring, and there is a very mild slope towards the shower (or sometimes another drain).

I've seen this mostly in Sweden and it's great (when you have someone else cleaning your bathroom).

But wet room bathrooms are absolutely a thing in the US as well. They're just a lot les common.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I remember when these first came out in the early 90's. There was a PBS home improvement show - I want to say This Old House? - that practically fellated backstabs as The Wave Of The Future.

I grabbed a spare outlet at work (we had some work done recently), and it kinda still had backstabs - there was a plate with the screw, and you could either loop the wire around the screw, or stab it behind the plate, but either way you still had to tighten the screw to secure it. Seems both a lot more secure, and also completely useless because a good electrician would make the loop to begin with.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This is what our shower looked like after we built. The drywall outside of it started melting after a few months and we decided to fork out the cash for a glass enclosure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jows posted:

My Fallout instincts come in handy suddenly.

Isn't water an extremely good radiation shielding?