Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I. M. Gei posted:

Are enameled cast iron pans good for making pan pizza in?

Do you mean enamel on the cooking surface? Cause mine is only enameled on the outside, and I use it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I. M. Gei posted:

Are enameled cast iron pans good for making pan pizza in?

I think it'd work totally fine, personally. Maybe a bit less crispy crust? I don't think they transfer heat much less than bare cast iron.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mister Facetious posted:

Do you mean enamel on the cooking surface? Cause mine is only enameled on the outside, and I use it all the time.

Enamel on the cooking surface, yes. I got my dad a Le Creuset enameled pan* for Christmas and I wanna know if I can make good pan pizza on it.

* Actually it's the pie dish, which is enameled but may or may not be cast iron.

EDIT: NOPE, the Le Creuset website says the pie dish is stoneware, so not cast iron. Still might be okay for pizza though, and I bet they got a bunch of good cast iron pizza pans, enameled and otherwise.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 14, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
stoneware will not be good for it

chia
Dec 23, 2005
Hello pizza thread, my old friend. It’s been a while.

This one had cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes and pesto:

Tuna, anchovies, orange zest and pickled red onions:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
People with small vans and Pizza Party ovens are showing up even here in Norway now; generally producing better pizzas than the established restaurants.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I. M. Gei posted:

EDIT: NOPE, the Le Creuset website says the pie dish is stoneware, so not cast iron. Still might be okay for pizza though, and I bet they got a bunch of good cast iron pizza pans, enameled and otherwise.

Yeah I find their stoneware to be pretty delicate. Well, it might be more like I give Le Creuset a lot of love for how pizza-oven-friendly their stuff is, but their stoneware is just "normal," which isn't inspiring for the cost. It likes to crack.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Made some pizzas

Someone was asking about poolish, it's a pre-ferment 50:50 flour / water and a tiny bit of yeast

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My stretch game is weak af.
20% whole wheat, Kenji NY dough.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

that looks wonderful

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So much crust though... That's supposed to be a 12"+ pie.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

toplitzin posted:

So much crust though... That's supposed to be a 12"+ pie.

How long did you leave it to ferment though? If you made it today it was always going to have issues with being elastic enough and rested enough to stretch for you. I can normally get away with 8-12 hours, but 24-48 is best.

I'd still eat it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Last night, and a two hour counter rest.

It stretched nice and easy, I had the center windowpaned, but just couldn't get the edge to play nice.

Just way way out of practice.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Got a deep dish question: trying to make deep dish, last time I made it I was disappointed I didn't get like a crunchy/crispy bottom so this time I really tried to warm my oven up like a ton, I warmed the steel up at 500 for 90 minutes before putting it in, cooked it for 25 mins. Crust was even black on the bottom parts

Still not crispy!!

How the heck do I get this thing to have a nice CRONCH which is what I want

I thought maybe it would help if I let it sit in the pan for a bit to get some extra heat from the pan at the end and crisp up more but maybe that actually made it soggy?

Don't get me wrong it was still pretty good, I mean it's a big dough ball with cheese and a bunch of olive oil on the bottom so it tasted alright, but the texture was just kinda soggy and greasy on the bottom like pizza hut which isn't really what I want

I'm using a nice dark Lloyds pan as well

Would maybe doing it on the bottom rung of the oven directly on the rack instead of the steel be better, with more circulation of the air and stuff?

I also used probably too much dough and it was EXTREMELY thicc but I don't think that caused the problem

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 20, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Pics:

My wife suggested that the fact that I accidentally made it way too thick could cause it to be soggy, is that true? She suggested maybe just the raw mass of extra water in there could have prevented it from crisping on the bottom

I'm skeptical but maybe that's true

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 20, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Stefan Prodan posted:

Got a deep dish question: trying to make deep dish, last time I made it I was disappointed I didn't get like a crunchy/crispy bottom so this time I really tried to warm my oven up like a ton, I warmed the steel up at 500 for 90 minutes before putting it in, cooked it for 25 mins. Crust was even black on the bottom parts

Still not crispy!!

How the heck do I get this thing to have a nice CRONCH which is what I want

I thought maybe it would help if I let it sit in the pan for a bit to get some extra heat from the pan at the end and crisp up more but maybe that actually made it soggy?

Don't get me wrong it was still pretty good, I mean it's a big dough ball with cheese and a bunch of olive oil on the bottom so it tasted alright, but the texture was just kinda soggy and greasy on the bottom like pizza hut which isn't really what I want

I'm using a nice dark Lloyds pan as well

Would maybe doing it on the bottom rung of the oven directly on the rack instead of the steel be better, with more circulation of the air and stuff?

I also used probably too much dough and it was EXTREMELY thicc but I don't think that caused the problem

I love this style and have gotten excellent shatteringly crisp bottom crusts by being EXTREMELY liberal with olive oil in the pan itself. I typically do what you're describing- Oven at 500, baking steel, pan on the steel. But I probably put, idk, at least double, probably more the olive oil in the pan that any detroit style or deep dish recipe calls for. Treat it almost like focaccia.

e: Yours looks really close to spot on, but it is hard to judge texture from pictures I guess. I think you should get it out of the pan as soon as it's done from the oven and put it on a wire rack, that should keep it maximum crispy, too.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 20, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

I love this style and have gotten excellent shatteringly crisp bottom crusts by being EXTREMELY liberal with olive oil in the pan itself. I typically do what you're describing- Oven at 500, baking steel, pan on the steel. But I probably put, idk, at least double, probably more the olive oil in the pan that any detroit style or deep dish recipe calls for. Treat it almost like focaccia.

e: Yours looks really close to spot on, but it is hard to judge texture from pictures I guess. I think you should get it out of the pan as soon as it's done from the oven and put it on a wire rack, that should keep it maximum crispy, too.

Hm ok yeah I was afraid to mess with it too much when it was so hot too that's why I let it sit a bit

Mine feels really oily though, I dunno if lack of oil was the issue. It came out real easy and tasted pretty greasy haha

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hm, not sure them. I'm using the same Lloyd pans Detroit pizza pan and everything I get from it is incredibly crispy on the bottom. Almost to the point where it's too much.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

Hm, not sure them. I'm using the same Lloyd pans Detroit pizza pan and everything I get from it is incredibly crispy on the bottom. Almost to the point where it's too much.

Yeah it's weird idk do you think having it be too thick could be the cause like my wife suggested?

I had a hard time gauging how much dough to use and it was REAL thick like to the point where sauce was getting on my nose sometimes when I was trying to eat it

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think the thickness of the dough could make the bottom fail to crisp up. You're basically pan frying the crust in oil between oil from the melted cheese and olive oil in the pan to start with.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's kinda what I thought but I mean who knows

I guess next time I'll just try on the bottom rack and see if that makes a difference? It just confused me that it could be properly browned and even black in places but soggy, I just don't get how it could get like that.

The downside of these detroit pizzas is like I don't want to just keep making them because if I keep eating them I will die and they're HUGE so every time i make one it's like well this is 8 meals before I can try again lol

And obviously I don't wanna throw any out

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Stefan Prodan posted:

That's kinda what I thought but I mean who knows

I guess next time I'll just try on the bottom rack and see if that makes a difference? It just confused me that it could be properly browned and even black in places but soggy, I just don't get how it could get like that.

The downside of these detroit pizzas is like I don't want to just keep making them because if I keep eating them I will die and they're HUGE so every time i make one it's like well this is 8 meals before I can try again lol

And obviously I don't wanna throw any out

Yeahhhhh I have that problem as well lol.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oh one thing that may have hosed it up is that I pulled it out after 15 mins and it cooled a bit and then I went oh this isn't done at all and threw it in for 10 more minutes, I forgot that happened until just now because I was on the phone at the time so I think it didn't make a strong memory

that could have hosed up the frying process, maybe if I just left it alone for 25 mins it woulda been fine

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'd do a second one, let it sit the whole time in the oven, and if you can hear it sizzling at the 15 minute mark you're probably good, combined with putting it on a wire rack as soon as it comes out

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

I'd do a second one, let it sit the whole time in the oven, and if you can hear it sizzling at the 15 minute mark you're probably good, combined with putting it on a wire rack as soon as it comes out

How do you get it out onto the wire rack when it's like fully hot with oil pooling on the side that hasn't re absorbed and poo poo?

Do you still give it a couple mins to cool down? It felt like almost too hot to even gently caress with for a couple minutes at least

I'm not super experienced with pan pizzas in general

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 20, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I just use my big rear end spatula. I have a 5*6" one I use for smashburgs and it works perfect size wise. Just get that under one side, then tilt the pan and it'll slide right out.

Pooled oil isn't gonna get soaked up after it's cooked. Dough will eat up a ton before that, but afterwards it is gonna make it soggy.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

I just use my big rear end spatula. I have a 5*6" one I use for smashburgs and it works perfect size wise. Just get that under one side, then tilt the pan and it'll slide right out.

Pooled oil isn't gonna get soaked up after it's cooked. Dough will eat up a ton before that, but afterwards it is gonna make it soggy.

Ah ok so any oil pooled on top when it's done from the cheese and stuff, just kinda paper towel that off or you just let it drip onto the counter or when you're putting it on the rack or something? I wasn't sure what to do with it exactly, these are the questions I didn't think to ask beforehand lol

Like there was some bubbling oil in a couple corners and I wasn't sure how to handle that

I know I'm asking a lot of detailed dumb questions but these are pretty annoying to get wrong lol

Appreciate the advice

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Displacement dude. It'll stay in the pan.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah I never really blot oil off the top, it goes in my mouth, to burn me, when I can't force myself to wait a reasonable amount of time for the pizza to cool,,,

Really all I'm getting at is you want the bottom free and open to air as soon as it comes out. That'll make sure it doesn't steam or soak away the crispy.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah I never really blot oil off the top, it goes in my mouth, to burn me, when I can't force myself to wait a reasonable amount of time for the pizza to cool,,,

Really all I'm getting at is you want the bottom free and open to air as soon as it comes out. That'll make sure it doesn't steam or soak away the crispy.

Alright cool that's probably what it was then cause I def let it sit for a bit in the pan wrongly thinking the hot pan would cook it more

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I did a nice Detroit pizza the other day

I only make it like 2-3 times a year but I fuckin love it so much

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, make sure to cool it on a rack. In my experience it helps greatly with retaining a crunch.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything I can buy that's like an insert for the pan that will let me only use say half the pan? Like a wall I can insert or something?

I feel like there probably is but I don't really know what it would be called or what to search for

But just like supposing I wanted to try making little mini deep dish pizzas to practice that don't take up the whole pan, without buying a new pan

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You could wrap a brick in foil and use it to block off part of the pan + divide your batch of dough in half I guess? I think the brick should just about fit right.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How are people that cold ferment and hand pulling reconcile those processes? I have some kinks--like literally kinks in the dough--from the handling. The dough balls will spread into each other over a few days in the fridge, so a few hours before, I try to separate them and reshape them. This makes them round, but where I tightened the dough up to get the shape, I now have some compressed dough. It then becomes a really fussy place in the dough to work when I'm trying to stretch it.

My goal is doing that is to make it easier to get a round shape and rebuild the dough balls after a slow, long rise in a fridge over something like 5 days. They go in like nice dough balls, but then they meet up and party in the bins.

Having cold dough--especially with the weather cooling off--also just generally makes it harder to hand pull. I tried to keep the dough balls over a tub of warm water. This didn't warm them up universally and I found the cool half the dough was still fussy while the warm half was cooperative. That was a strange experience.

I could probably work it out with a rolling pin, but I experimented with hand-pulled-only this most recent time and it was considered a serious level up on the overall taste and texture.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Use separate round containers when you put them in the fridge initially. Then dump out the cold dough on your work surface and let it warm up at room temp up for ~30 mins before you work it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Same, I just use some ceramic bowls and lightly oil them, and cover with some oiled cling film.

I've reduced the amount of yeast I use to the Pizzapp recommend dose, it rises less in the fridge now but still does in the oven. It's easier to handle like this.

The dough needs to come out of the fridge maybe an hour before you're going to use it otherwise it doesn't rise as well in the oven.

This is the poolish someone asked about, 75g flour / 75g water and a tiny amount of yeast, supposed to be 0.08g but I have no way of measuring that.

240g dough ball straight out of the fridge.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How are people that cold ferment and hand pulling reconcile those processes? I have some kinks--like literally kinks in the dough--from the handling. The dough balls will spread into each other over a few days in the fridge, so a few hours before, I try to separate them and reshape them. This makes them round, but where I tightened the dough up to get the shape, I now have some compressed dough. It then becomes a really fussy place in the dough to work when I'm trying to stretch it.

My goal is doing that is to make it easier to get a round shape and rebuild the dough balls after a slow, long rise in a fridge over something like 5 days. They go in like nice dough balls, but then they meet up and party in the bins.

Having cold dough--especially with the weather cooling off--also just generally makes it harder to hand pull. I tried to keep the dough balls over a tub of warm water. This didn't warm them up universally and I found the cool half the dough was still fussy while the warm half was cooperative. That was a strange experience.

I could probably work it out with a rolling pin, but I experimented with hand-pulled-only this most recent time and it was considered a serious level up on the overall taste and texture.

I put the cold ball in the pan and give it 5-10 minutes in the oven at 150f, wait 30, then shape it, top it, and start cooking as normal.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, I just pull it out and leave it on the counter for two hours. I also oil my container because it's old and extra sticky, but then I can flour and they just come out one at a time no problem. They are not perfectly photogenic ever, but I don't have issues with it getting ropey and they hand stretch just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I just live with hosed up pizza shapes usually. My balls tend to come out square from the proofing tray if I've put six in there to cold ferment. I'll only really reball them if they have been cold fermenting for 3 or more days and that helps but I'll reball them and put them back in the fridge until a few hours before use. They'll then spend 2h warming up before use minimum in a 16-18C kitchen before I hand shape them. Usually even the non reballed 48h cold proved ones aren't too far out of round from the oven if I give them some time to warm up but I do occasionally get monster bubbles on one side of the crust or slightly off shape pies this way.