Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

If you want to set it and forget it with an electric, you can always get the Amazen pellet maze and stick it in there. Last time I used mine, it was putting out smoke for like 12 hours and could have gone longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Check out Craigslist or local Facebook marketplace. That may make your decision for you. When I got an Egg I put my Smokey Mountain up on there. Well treated, every smoker listed in this thread will last forever. Great thing to pick up used.

I vote chicken for first smoke…. Thighs or thigh quarters. Really hard to gently caress up. Still good if you overcook. And unlike pork ribs right now, super cheap.

An instant read thermometer (esp for stuff like chicken) is an absolute must. If you have an ACE hardware nearby, I bet they’ll have every single thing you need.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I freeze meat all the time, as long as it doesn’t freezer burn it’ll be just fine. But if frozen, it’s best to take it out 3-4 days ahead of time so it can thaw and you have time to dry brine properly

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Put on a 8lb (post trim) brisket this morning at 6:30. It’s currently 11:00 and it’s about ten degrees from done. Didn’t stall at all! Hope this thing is edible.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It'll hold wrapped in foil, then plastic wrap, then towels, then into a cooler bag for many hours

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I did it ya’ll

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
A feast! Well done, looks fantastic. How was it?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Bo-Pepper posted:

I did it ya’ll

Well done!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Bob A Feet posted:

A feast! Well done, looks fantastic. How was it?

It was amazing. And I had some friends I hadn’t seen in a while come by so was able to stuff their faces.

The smaller pieces of rib seemed more juicy. I did pull it all a little before the ribs registered at 180 because it was about to rain. Still, very happy with all of it.

Can’t wait till doing a pork shoulder next.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yes, and the Thermoworks Smoke is very very good. (Also, don't be tempted to get a Maverick. It will fail. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but trust us.)

In fairness it is the probes that fail that come with the maverick.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I loving love chicken quarters. Absolutely best part of the bird, and you can have it casually or dress it up a bit for a fancier dinner.

How did your skin turn out? I can get the fat underneath mine to render great but the skin itself is still chewy.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chewy skin happens with low and slow. Finish it on a hot grill or under a broiler for 5-10 minutes.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

How did your skin turn out? I can get the fat underneath mine to render great but the skin itself is still chewy.

Mine was chewy but in a way that didn't register as bad to me. I could see maybe finishing it off in a broiler as mentioned but I liked it just fine as is.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Picked up a Green Mountain Grills Ledge Prime Plus pellet grill last weekend and put it through its first smoke yesterday. Did a small pork shoulder at 250, wrapping when it got to 170. Pulled it just a bit over 200. Came out pretty solid. The bark could have definitely been more solid, though I know pellet grills aren't known for super great bark. The bark that was there is really good though. Shredded it and made sandwiches out of it. Used some sweet and spicy homemade pickles that were made from cucumbers from my garden and topped with some fresh jalapenos, also from the garden. Pictured in the background is a homebrewed cream ale that paired really well with it.

Gonna try to grill some steelhead trout on it tonight.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Briskets appeared in the grocery store last month so I picked up a couple and cooked one up. Since my last one was a bit dry on the bottom, I decided to cook this one fat side down, and it turned out much much better. Took around 16 hours to cook at ~230F (started at 8 am, pulled at midnight), then I rested in the oven until noon the next day when I served it up for some friends. It was a bit of a weird cook though since my internal temps skyrocketed and I didn't hit the stall until I was close to 160F. Also I had a flame out in my grill that borked things up a bit until I resolved it (amateur-tip, if you're using a smoke tube, don't place it close to the pellet grills' thermometer for tracking the cooking temp. It'll trick the grill into thinking it's hotter than it is and it'll stop feeding pellets).

This one was incredibly tender, passed the pull test with flying colors, and tasted delicious. My next brisket I think I'll wrap it without tallow to see what difference it make in the bark.

I also made a plum based BBQ sauce that was absolutely killer. ~5 hours on smoke at 250, then combined the solids and added soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, molasses, and some spices and cranked the heat up to simmer it down a bit. It has a good fruit forward tang to it, with a smoky savory back end.

Also on a side note, our friends were coming over that day because we were buying their chickens and coop off of them. Here's my kid feeding them meal worms in the iron man costume he decided to wear that morning. They started laying that night so my next project is going to be various ways to salt and smoke eggs.

(I know the coop is small but we built a larger enclosure that afternoon so they can roam).

Link to the image album here: https://imgur.com/a/d12KyiQ

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

sinburger posted:

Briskets appeared in the grocery store last month so I picked up a couple and cooked one up. Since my last one was a bit dry on the bottom, I decided to cook this one fat side down, and it turned out much much better. Took around 16 hours to cook at ~230F (started at 8 am, pulled at midnight), then I rested in the oven until noon the next day when I served it up for some friends. It was a bit of a weird cook though since my internal temps skyrocketed and I didn't hit the stall until I was close to 160F. Also I had a flame out in my grill that borked things up a bit until I resolved it (amateur-tip, if you're using a smoke tube, don't place it close to the pellet grills' thermometer for tracking the cooking temp. It'll trick the grill into thinking it's hotter than it is and it'll stop feeding pellets).

This one was incredibly tender, passed the pull test with flying colors, and tasted delicious. My next brisket I think I'll wrap it without tallow to see what difference it make in the bark.

I also made a plum based BBQ sauce that was absolutely killer. ~5 hours on smoke at 250, then combined the solids and added soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, molasses, and some spices and cranked the heat up to simmer it down a bit. It has a good fruit forward tang to it, with a smoky savory back end.

Also on a side note, our friends were coming over that day because we were buying their chickens and coop off of them. Here's my kid feeding them meal worms in the iron man costume he decided to wear that morning. They started laying that night so my next project is going to be various ways to salt and smoke eggs.

(I know the coop is small but we built a larger enclosure that afternoon so they can roam).

Link to the image album here: https://imgur.com/a/d12KyiQ

Would you please share the recipe for the plum bbq sauce

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Any general pointers on when you should and shouldn’t use a pellet maze with a pellet smoker?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Solkanar512 posted:

Any general pointers on when you should and shouldn’t use a pellet maze with a pellet smoker?

Why would you? I thought those were just for electric smokers.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

nwin posted:

Why would you? I thought those were just for electric smokers.

Pellet grills burn pellets to generate the heat first, with the smoke being a secondary effect. As a result they pretty clean compared to an offset or an electric smoker.

Solkanar512 posted:

I'll run the maze for as long as I'm cooking unwrapped if I want to get a good bark and smoke ring on the food. Granted I'm using a pellet grill, not a pellet smoker.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Who has tried smoking on a propane gas grill using two-zone indirect? An article I found says to use this method and also place a foil water pan on the flavorizers, then wrap the wood in some foil and poke holes in it, also placing that directly on the flavorizers. I ask because is using a gas grill really viable even with this? I may want to use the space of the grill to smoke more than a couple things at once, and also kind of experiment to see how much NO2 I can get the meat to take on versus the electric smoker to find out if I can get a smoke ring, which is totally for shits and giggles and not because I need a smoke ring or anything. I guess at the end of the day I could just cure in prague powder.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

life is killing me posted:

Who has tried smoking on a propane gas grill using two-zone indirect? An article I found says to use this method and also place a foil water pan on the flavorizers, then wrap the wood in some foil and poke holes in it, also placing that directly on the flavorizers. I ask because is using a gas grill really viable even with this? I may want to use the space of the grill to smoke more than a couple things at once, and also kind of experiment to see how much NO2 I can get the meat to take on versus the electric smoker to find out if I can get a smoke ring, which is totally for shits and giggles and not because I need a smoke ring or anything. I guess at the end of the day I could just cure in prague powder.

I've done this before. You'll get a bit of smoke flavour, but you won't get anything approaching a smoke ring. This is something you do when you want to add a hint of smoke to something you're grilling anyway.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

sinburger posted:

Pellet grills burn pellets to generate the heat first, with the smoke being a secondary effect. As a result they pretty clean compared to an offset or an electric smoker.

I'll run the maze for as long as I'm cooking unwrapped if I want to get a good bark and smoke ring on the food. Granted I'm using a pellet grill, not a pellet smoker.

Thanks for clarifying both maze thing and there are pellet smokers and pellet grills. I thought the term was interchangeable because when I put "pellet smoker" into google I get all sorts of links to and about "pellet grills".

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Solkanar512 posted:

Thanks for clarifying both maze thing and there are pellet smokers and pellet grills. I thought the term was interchangeable because when I put "pellet smoker" into google I get all sorts of links to and about "pellet grills".

Yea, pellet grills look similar to offset smokers, but have a pellet hopper instead of a fire barrel. They auger the pellets to a small pot in the center of the grill where they burn, and a steel plate over the burn put distributes the heat.

Pellet smokers are big chonky square shaped things with a front loading door and a bunch of racks inside.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hello everyone.

I now own a pellet smoker. Do we have custom grilling aprons/ beer coozies?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Nice and hot piss posted:

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping for a Gunsmoke logo that reads "GOONSMOKE."

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Goon.Smoke

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If we limit it to one grenade logo and one dad joke, I would buy one. If the word "stairs" or "goon" ends up anywhere on it count me out.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 21, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hello everyone.

Well, which one did you get!?!?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Zarin posted:

Well, which one did you get!?!?

I got the RecTeq RT590. The "bull horns" is gimmicky but just from my googling, seems to be one of the better smokers out there.

Currently smoking an entire chicken as we speak.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I couldn’t sleep the night before last. I was up at 3am just laying in bed. By 5am I said gently caress it, time to get up and bbq.

I did a pulled pork shoulder/butt on my Kamado Joe. Smoked with natural mesquite charcoal and cherry wood chunks. Crutched at 160F, about 5 hours in.

Removed at 203 degrees F. Rested for 40 minutes and shredded. I didn’t have any apple cider or apple cider vinegar to spritz with but it still turned out fantastic. Perfect smoke flavor, not dried out at all, just heavenly.

Please rate these photos of my butt

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I couldn’t sleep the night before last. I was up at 3am just laying in bed. By 5am I said gently caress it, time to get up and bbq.

I did a pulled pork shoulder/butt on my Kamado Joe. Smoked with natural mesquite charcoal and cherry wood chunks. Crutched at 160F, about 5 hours in.

Removed at 203 degrees F. Rested for 40 minutes and shredded. I didn’t have any apple cider or apple cider vinegar to spritz with but it still turned out fantastic. Perfect smoke flavor, not dried out at all, just heavenly.

Please rate these photos of my butt

that looks like a very, very juicy butt.

Is there a huge reason to spritz apple cider/juice/vinegar on top of a shoulder for pulled pork? That's my next endeavor here in a few weeks is to try and make pulled pork sandwiches, and I see recipes either calling for spritzing or the recipe foregoes it completely.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Looks good! I've never been able to tell the difference between spritzing with apple cider or water, so I just use water now.

Picked up a choice full packer at Costco the other day, probably be my last smoke of the season this weekend. As luck would have it mom called to ask if I'd smoke a brisket for Christmas this year, so looks like I'll be smoking two this weekend. One for eating and one for vac sealing, freezing, and sous vide reheating at Christmas.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

that looks like a very, very juicy butt.

Is there a huge reason to spritz apple cider/juice/vinegar on top of a shoulder for pulled pork? That's my next endeavor here in a few weeks is to try and make pulled pork sandwiches, and I see recipes either calling for spritzing or the recipe foregoes it completely.

Ive done both with spritzing and without and haven't noticed a difference. Cut of.meat seems to matter more in my experience. Pork butt is supposed to be easy mode. No injections or sprays needed. You want a shitload of bark? Smoke it straight up for 18 hours. Want melt in your mouth pulled pork, crutch it in foil when it stalls and be done in 12ish. Somewhere in between use the butcher paper. Always rest it till 170ish. Done.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Good to know. Pork shoulder is my next endeavor after this chicken. I'm only about 5 meals into this thing but I'd like to get a bit more experience before I go up against the holiday boss: Giant Turkey-tron

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Most I've noticed spritzing with a mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice is a sweeter taste and a more caramelized bark (from the sugar in the juice).

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I spritz pork shoulders with apple cider mostly because it feels right. I’ve never noticed a difference in taste or tenderness when I didn’t do it though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Got a brisket going. Pretty sure the smoker probe is too close to the exhaust hole and a bit on the low side, but I'm too lazy to fix it.

https://share.fireboard.io/75DA17

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

If anything I would think it would support a stall at worst, at best I would think it’s no different than having water in the water pan

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Good to know. Pork shoulder is my next endeavor after this chicken. I'm only about 5 meals into this thing but I'd like to get a bit more experience before I go up against the holiday boss: Giant Turkey-tron

Turkey actually isn't hard at all, as long as you're not married to the idea of carving the bird at the table like some kind of 1950s American tableau. Spatchcocked or cut up into pieces that you can pull when they are done make it easy peasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Turkey actually isn't hard at all, as long as you're not married to the idea of carving the bird at the table like some kind of 1950s American tableau. Spatchcocked or cut up into pieces that you can pull when they are done make it easy peasy.

Nah. I've been learning the ways of spatchcocking, I regret not trying it out on the whole chicken I just smoked yesterday.

That being said, I think in two weeks I'm going to do an entire pork shoulder....or brisket... Pictures will be taken

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 22, 2021