Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

As someone who routinely uses this tool, keep in mind that if turning point does not sell that prop size, they will not recommend it.
Thanks I'll keep this in mind

quote:

Out of curiosity, when you say upgrade from a four blade, what do you mean? Are you just looking for more top end speed or do you just want a new prop thats not fucko'd?

1 part column A, 2 parts column B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Karma Comedian posted:

Thanks I'll keep this in mind

1 part column A, 2 parts column B

Props are an art more than a science. 4-blade wheels do well for holeshots, backing down, and are good on hi-torq lower units. I did commercial work with outboards for nearly a decade, and I'm very fond of AL props. SS gives better performance, but when (not if) you clobber something, the AL is far less likely to shred your lower unit. I'm also not a fan of the interchangeable hub systems. Every one I've used was clunky, and didn't seem to transmit the power well.

What prop are you currently running, and what RPM do you achieve WOT with a standard load? That'll tell us a lot.

Here are my crib notes for outboards in general (the last 2 don't apply to you):
1. Get the OB height set correctly. Most dealers set them too low, which causes excessive gearcase drag, but is safer from a blowout at high speeds. At WOT, the anti-cav plate should be even (just getting splashed, and not buried) with the water flowing by the OB. If it's buried by even an inch, you're losing a bunch of power to drag. You've got a wide plate added to your gearcase.
2. You want to hit ~90% of max RPM (or in the upper third of the WOT range) at WOT with a normal load (people, coolers, gear, etc). If you're hitting max RPM early, you're underpropped. If you can't get to full RPM, you're overpropped. Overpropped is super hard on the motor, as you're effectively lugging it all the time. Severely overpropped boats will blow headgaskets in short order. Underpropped means you're leaving performance on the table across the RPM map.
3. Weight distribution onboard is pretty important, so do your testing with whatever distribution you normally run.
4. Get your trim tabs (if you have them) serviced, make sure they're moving correctly. Tabs can be used to do a lot on a boat, but if they're hosed up, they can cause all sorts of issues. Most factory boats are running undersized tabs, as well.
5. Clean the drat hull! You can literally halve your fuel economy if the bottom is filthy, plus it can make the boat overpropped because of the excess drag.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Looks like priority #1 is going to be fixing the tach.

Hey thanks for those notes they're very helpful! This is my first non-displacement hull my only real outboard experiences being on smaller sailboats, so it's a bit of a learning curve but man I am enamored with this boat

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Elmnt80 posted:

As someone who routinely uses this tool, keep in mind that if turning point does not sell that prop size, they will not recommend it.

Yeah, but at least it'll get you in the ballpark for prop diameter and pitch.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Found these German warships in the center of Oslo last night. I wonder how they got past Oscarsborg? :derp:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There’s a u-boat in your harbor.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Unlike the previous lot, these were invited :v:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So I bought another shark. Mainly because the current shark needs more work than I realistically have time to actually get done, and I want to spend more time sailing / racing.

Amusingly this one still needs some work, but it's limited to like a few coats of bottom paint and re-bedding deck hardware in locations that actually make sense for racing.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

A weird and annoying issue we have, which is also just about the only remaining issue from our small list of inevitable delivery complaints, is that there's a ghost living in the LED dimmers in the cockpit:

This happens almost every night just after sunset when we're in the boat. They are controlled by these touch buttons where you tap them to turn on/off and hold to dim, and they become mostly unresponsive when this goes on. After 30-45 minutes of fighting the disco madness it's usually back to normal.

Several people have taken poo poo apart, tested, tried to reproduce etc, but of course it never happens then. So it remains a mystery and an annoyance.

My position all along has been to replace the magical dimmer buttons with something more mechanical, but I guess they really want to get to the root of it or something...

e: If anyone's come across anything like this before I'd love to hear.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have some cheapo 1W LED bulbs to replace the...M20? halogen 20w bulbs they replaced. They do not dim

Well after an hour or two of being on, powered by my battery attached to the trickle charger running at 13.6/14.something, they start to overheat and blink like that. My guess is it's a bum capacitor of some sort

TL;DR I think your 12v -> 3.3v led circuitry on the light strip is hosed, not whatever dimmer is in front of it; and/or it's heat related and your capacitor is crapping out on you due to heat

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Nearly every power controller IC has an internal thermometer and will shut itself off if the physical silicon die gets too hot (usually kicks in around 175 C). This thermal protection forces the power chip into off/idle mode until the chip temp drops below some threshold, then it turns back on.

This is a low-level chip function that is built into a LOT of chips of all kinds, but especially power management chips like LED drivers and power supplies.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
My mom bought a new boat this week. It's a 1964 Stauter-Built 14' Rolled Chine skiff. Legendary local built fishing boat.

She's going to get a 20hp Tohastu for it, and I've ordered the parts to get the lift in the other stall in our boathouse working.

I've already swapped the trailer out from under it, they sold it with a jetski trailer that's waaaay too short, and would be downright dangerous with a motor on the transom.

Not sure the exact age of this sales page, probably some time in the 70s.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
I’m on a sail training week and one of the guys is super young and literally will only talk about girls and shagging. It’s infected the other three guys on board including the instructor, and, like, banter is ok but I can’t wait to be off the boy boat so I don’t have to listen to them compare tit sizes of all the danish birds they’ve etc etc etc.

At least apart from sex talk the instructor is fantastic and I crushed some blind nav and night pilotage exercises yesterday so it’s not all dire.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

occluded posted:

I’m on a sail training week and one of the guys is super young and literally will only talk about girls and shagging. It’s infected the other three guys on board including the instructor, and, like, banter is ok but I can’t wait to be off the boy boat so I don’t have to listen to them compare tit sizes of all the danish birds they’ve etc etc etc.

At least apart from sex talk the instructor is fantastic and I crushed some blind nav and night pilotage exercises yesterday so it’s not all dire.

have you tried asking them all to not anymore, or do you not want to *ahem* rock the boat?

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe
I’m on a Yachtmaster development course so I need to at least not piss the instructor off. He’d get it, I’m sure, but I can’t be hosed to endure two days of stony looks.

I did get in a huge argument though with an ex-cop on my last boat when he was gushing about how cool it is to be in riots when the horse police show up and charge the crowd; I’ve had friends who got teeth kicked in in situations like that.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

occluded posted:

I’m on a Yachtmaster development course so I need to at least not piss the instructor off. He’d get it, I’m sure, but I can’t be hosed to endure two days of stony looks.

I did get in a huge argument though with an ex-cop on my last boat when he was gushing about how cool it is to be in riots when the horse police show up and charge the crowd; I’ve had friends who got teeth kicked in in situations like that.

Sheesh, you've got bad luck with crews.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

occluded posted:

Start talking about gay sex

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

occluded posted:

Not all crew overboard recoveries have to be successful.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nah, it’s the nature of the thing on a months long program at a sailing school that some people will be shits and some of them will be cool. There’s a few people who are fantastic, and with the others I just keep my head down and focus on learning as much as possible myself. Going to be really glad to finish this lunch time, there’s no way I’m staying on to help for his Yachtmaster exam this afternoon or tomorrow.

I did hail these guys as they sailed past while we were loving about on a MOB under sail exercise and asked them for a job, their helmsman made the ‘call me’ hand signal so I’ve just sent them an email applying for a crew position.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That boat may be too old to power a blender

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

Pedal power!

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
My new favourite sailing youtube channel is 'Sam Holmes Sailing'. Sails with what he's got and fixes/makes stuff as he needs.

Its quite a refreshing change from so many other channels that always appear to have buckets of cash to spend and click bait intro pictures in swimwear.

Sam getting the electric drill out while he's in the middle of the atlantic certainly made me smile !

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baconroll posted:

My new favourite sailing youtube channel is 'Sam Holmes Sailing'. Sails with what he's got and fixes/makes stuff as he needs.

Sam getting the electric drill out while he's in the middle of the atlantic certainly made me smile !

Yeah I think the electric drill moment is what sold me on that channel. Also, "well, I'm bored, so I'm just going to rebuild my solar arch, in the middle of the pacific ocean, halfway to hawaii, because I have nothing better to do today"*

I need to rewatch, but looks like he did the math and decided that it was price competitive to just buy a 1/4 acre lot with a half-falling down service station on it, in, south carolina maybe? and then get the boat hauled there and do the refit there on his own time.

He's not the fastest at anything, and he doesn't have the meticulous fabrication skills like Mads from Sail Life, but he does about 20% more than the absolute bare minimum and then goes it's great. His boat's paint job was the worst eggshell/orange skin looking bullshit I've seen in a long time but it got the job done and you know what? He's in scotland right now exploring castles and drinking Real Scotch, so I guess it worked for him. And if you're more than 20' away it looks fine.

edit: timestamp jumps to solar arch rebuild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUi0gsxVHZM&t=1399s

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 15, 2021

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hadlock posted:

sharkytm posted:

Pedal power!
I just went on the Gilligan's Island wiki to check, and even they didn't have a pedal powered blender.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah a low end blender is going to be pushing 500-750 watts. Someone who bicycles every day (not a race bicyclist hobbyist, with calves like gallon-size milk jugs) can do ~100w for 5-10 minutes and peak power output for 30 seconds (warmed up, etc) is about 400w.

Presumably you could crush most of the ice with a hammer ahead of time, but you're still gonna be miserable drinking your poorly blended marg

The worst part about solar powered blenders is the time you want to use them the most, is when the sun is closest to the horizon

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The real answer is to drink your margarita on the rocks, as Mr Morales intended.

:colbert:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

MrYenko posted:

The real answer is to drink your margarita on the rocks, as Mr Morales intended.

:colbert:

QFT real margaritas should be on the rocks, not blended. Blending dilutes the precious alcohol:water ratio

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You need a bigger boat if an extra handle of tequila is going to have a measurable impact on your SA/D ratio :colbert:

Last I checked, you can get a PHRF variance for extra handles of rum, you could probably get this extended to tequila if you specify it's for margs

fake edit: also good luck talking the snacktician into making 9 crushed ice margs for the first round

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
When you're promoted* to snacktician you just make them properly for yourself. Who's crushing ice anyway, just pour equal parts mix and tequila into the nearest beverage container

*demoted**

**short crew problems

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

just pour equal parts mix

:fuckoff::hf::frogout:

a bag of limes and a bottle of agave nectar is equal in cost to a bottle of "mix"

pro tip: marg "mix" is not "sour mix", sorry to offend anyone everyone from northern california who is just now learning this

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Equal parts teq, Cointreau, and lime juice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

And for sugar content?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

And for sugar content?
Cointreau.

Try it sometime. I thought it was a great balance, back when I drank.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I like 3:2:1 tequila:Cointreau:lime, but yeah Cointreau is all the sugar you need.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Erwin posted:

I like 3:2:1 tequila:Cointreau:lime, but yeah Cointreau is all the sugar you need.

Ouch, my liver.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
8 ice cubes, 6 glugs of Mount Gay XO and a dash of pepsi in a large yeti with a lid. The fastest way to a good after racing drink this side of passing around a pint of fireball to the crew. (I race on an inland lake what do you want from me)

fake edit: the best skippers will have them made up with numbers by position so you never get them confused :D

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

8 ice cubes, 6 glugs of Mount Gay XO and a dash of pepsi in a large yeti with a lid. The fastest way to a good after racing drink this side of passing around a pint of fireball to the crew. (I race on an inland lake what do you want from me)

fake edit: the best skippers will have them made up with numbers by position so you never get them confused :D

The self respect not to drink fireball. :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SeaborneClink posted:

When you're promoted* to snacktician you just make them properly for yourself. Who's crushing ice anyway, just pour equal parts mix and tequila into the nearest beverage container

*demoted**

**short crew problems

A man with an Archer avatar supporting the use of Margarita mix?

For shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbUB-jYsMd8

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Elmnt80 posted:

The self respect not to drink fireball. :colbert:

The antifreeze helps in winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011