Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I’ve passed multiple Starbucks locations in the last month that were “temporarily closed” or “temporarily closed until further notice.” At one in Eastern Washington, there was a local coffee shop literally 3 doors down and I went in there. Half the people in line were unmasked and the coffee shop interior was at about 75% full despite it being a beautiful day and there being a whole public square full of tables directly out front. The cashier informed they had been slammed all day every day since Starbucks closed due to covid. I was wearing my KN95 and am vaccinated but I got out of there as fast as I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It’s a pity about the lack of mask control but starbucks is garbage tier coffee and at least people are giving the local coffee shop a go. I bet a good chunk of those customers will be retained even when Starbucks reopens.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s a pity about the lack of mask control but starbucks is garbage tier coffee and at least people are giving the local coffee shop a go. I bet a good chunk of those customers will be retained even when Starbucks reopens.

Starbucks is garbage for sure. This particular town in Eastern Washington has a college and seems vibrant, but while all the stores had signs up saying they require masks, there were always unmasked people walking around and nobody telling them to put on a mask. I question whether most people can tell the difference when they drink sweetened drinks that are 20 ounces with only 1-2 ounces of coffee in them. I do like a cappuccino but that is the upper limit of how adulterated a coffee drink can be and someone still being able to taste the coffee.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

therobit posted:

I question whether most people can tell the difference when they drink sweetened drinks that are 20 ounces with only 1-2 ounces of coffee in them. I do like a cappuccino but that is the upper limit of how adulterated a coffee drink can be and someone still being able to taste the coffee.

That isn't loving coffee. 20oz loving hell. In Australia you can typically get an 8oz or a 12oz (dine in cups/mugs are usually a little bit smaller, more like 6 and 10) anything larger is almost unheard of. Some places will do a 16oz jumbo but it's considered kinda trashy and it's generally a good sign that they serve poo poo coffee. I drink a 12oz but I get 6 shots in it so it's like half coffee. I also think it's fairly normal not to have sugar at all, or people who do usually get like 1 sugar. when I was younger I would have 1 sugar but then I discovered that actual good quality coffee isn't bitter and doesn't need it. I even know of at least 1 fancy espresso bar that doesn't offer sugar at all.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Some fresh pictures from Amazon! I trained my replacement at my really cushy position and am back packing again while he has time to get used to my old job. I'm 100% going to be back there during holiday peak, he's just my backup and needs some time to familiarize himself with the madness. I don't mind, I burn more calories while packing (and like most goons I could really burn more calories in general).

So when being one of the peons what's called a "Mind and Body Moment" will pop up on your screen about every 45 minutes. They're mandatory, can't skip them but can ignore them. I usually use them to pause for a drink or pop some candy from my pocket as I do my own stretches. You can either do stretches (body) or breathing exercises (mind). I didn't mind the breathing exercises at the start but they've gone completely "woo" and I had to share them.

Apologies for poo poo pictures.

First the okay ones that are mainly breathing exercises:

That last one's kind of sneaky, slipping in some gentle movement/stretching in. I actually approve. Those three are all absolutely fine.

Now let's get into the "capitalism is a cult" territory:

Profits Peace Begins With Me.

Someone got sold on the "mindfulness and meditation" as a vague concept and made it soulless and corporate.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
That’s like the recording played while people are sleeping in Brave New World

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Am I the only one who kept trying to wipe the little smudge off my screen that turned out to be the mouse pointer on alky's screen

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
My manager invited everybody in the department out to food except for me. I learned this from one of my coworkers and he said that my manager said that I was really quiet - I'm not really I talk to my coworkers but I don't try to be friends with management. I try to keep it professional. It also seems I got taken off the department wide group-text.

I'm loving pissed (it's all happening again!). Way to make me feel like a complete outcast and rear end in a top hat because I'm not trying to be your close friend. Totally unprofessional. It feels like a high school project all over again. Goddamn, are all jobs like this. I keep wanting to say it's not bothering me but it's really bothering me! I'm a good employee!

Oolb fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 19, 2021

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
I'm a GOOD employee. When I'm at work, I focus on work. I didn't socialize with my coworkers at my last job so I make an effort to at this job. I keep it distant with management because I don't feel like it's appropriate to mix the expectations of a friendship. I know, I know it's all politics and my effort is better spent at playing politics than working hard - hard lesson for me to learn, and loving depressing. It's pure incompetence on my part and theirs. Earth is doomed.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
That's a poo poo move, especially to drop you off the group chat. I went to a social once for a team and noticed the manager only invited half the team and none of the girls. Was a pretty awkward experience and haven't been out since.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Volmarias posted:

my_crimes.jpg

A delivery driver from Amazon (I don't know ifnthey worked for a contractor or Amazon itself) hit an LLV with his truck. He tried to hide the piece that came off in the bushes. We had to keep him there while the police did their report. Apparently the driver had a warrant out for him and someone else had to come and get their truck.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My employer (one of Australia’s 2 major grocery chains) has decided to remove all knives and scissors from sale nation wide (including things like little scissors for trimming fingernails and stuff) because some guy in Melbourne took a knife from the shelf and stabbed a couple of people.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Wait, how did he do that? I’ve only ever seen knives/scissors sold in plastic packaging that basically requires a knife/scissors just to open. :psyduck: Except butter knives I guess, but I think you’d struggle to effectively stab someone with one of those.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Butt Detective posted:

Wait, how did he do that? I’ve only ever seen knives/scissors sold in plastic packaging that basically requires a knife/scissors just to open. :psyduck: Except butter knives I guess, but I think you’d struggle to effectively stab someone with one of those.

I dunno, I guess our packaging is easier to open?

We’ve had 2 seperate suicide attempts in our store over the years involving people taking kitchen knives off the shelves. One person tried to disembowel themselves, the other (a hep c infected junkie) slit his wrists and pranced up and down 3 aisles spraying his tainted blood everywhere before approaching a staff member for assistance (gently caress was that a pain in the rear end to clean up).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Butt Detective posted:

That's only for the customer facing areas. Over here at Amazon poo poo is packaged in whatever the vendor thinks is "good enough". One of the first lessons I had properly drilled into my head by the job was "If it drops, let it fall". Grabbed a bunch of thin cardboard boxes for a shipment only to find some of them were held closed by wishes and dreams. Love watching Mall Ninja/Hot Topic looking knives yeet themselves out the boxes in my hands and impale themselves into the ergo mat where my foot had been just moments ago.

And all of the cheap rear end kitchen knives where the front of the packaging is vacuum-molded into a knife shape but the back is a thin paperboard sheet that was slid into place. No tape or glue holding that back on, just the friction from where the plastic front is crimped around to make a slot for the paperboard to slide into.

Still those are at least packages. I'm still pissed at the ding-dong a few years ago who thought the best way to sell fish hooks on Amazon was "Stuff a giant ball of of them into an over the counter plastic baggie." Like if you're selling a few that's fine: they'll lay flat and not cut into the bag (or anyone's hands). No this dipshit stuffed enough into each bag that it was a solid ball of fish hooks with barbs pointing out and every which way.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

I dunno, I guess our packaging is easier to open?

We’ve had 2 seperate suicide attempts in our store over the years involving people taking kitchen knives off the shelves. One person tried to disembowel themselves, the other (a hep c infected junkie) slit his wrists and pranced up and down 3 aisles spraying his tainted blood everywhere before approaching a staff member for assistance (gently caress was that a pain in the rear end to clean up).

Haha

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Oolb posted:

My manager invited everybody in the department out to food except for me. I learned this from one of my coworkers and he said that my manager said that I was really quiet - I'm not really I talk to my coworkers but I don't try to be friends with management. I try to keep it professional. It also seems I got taken off the department wide group-text.

I'm loving pissed (it's all happening again!). Way to make me feel like a complete outcast and rear end in a top hat because I'm not trying to be your close friend. Totally unprofessional. It feels like a high school project all over again. Goddamn, are all jobs like this. I keep wanting to say it's not bothering me but it's really bothering me! I'm a good employee!

poo poo I was thinking just last night that I should have been more aloof with my coworkers from the beginning. Every time I need to focus or turn my brain off, someone comes up and bothers me. A girl who has a crush on me won't leave me the gently caress alone and always asks about my personal business. Some redditor kid who just. won't. shut. the gently caress. up. keeps bothering me and not the more stoic employees. It's just not worth it. I don't socialize with them outside of work and I don't want to. I don't care about their personal poo poo and I wish they would just go away lol

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 20, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My employer, who is one of Australia's largest and employs roughly a quarter of a million people; has just announced that it's making covid vaccination mandatory nation wide. I'm particularly proud given that our competitor has decided it's only imposing a mandate in the 3 states where the government has made it mandatory for retail workers to be vaccinated.

The vitriol in our internal social media is delicious these people are responsible for some of the most intellectually bankrupt bleating I've ever been subjected too and although the company is quick to delete their posts I'm thrilled to be rid of them

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 21, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I for one love the fact that the same people screaming "MY BODY MY CHOICE" about vaccines almost always, almost, have "It's a Child Not a Choice" bumper stickers, and people screaming about MY FREEDOMS are the first to insist the bakery doesn't need to violate their religion by making them queers a cake.

Anyway, help me goons. I started falling down that hole again. The "if i stay late today, the next time there is a furlough, it won't be me on the chopping block" mantra that starts, that I know is bullshit, as much as we know stepping on a crack won't shatter anyone's spine. But why. Why. It feels so similar to being in an abusive relationship, where you know deep down nothing will change, but maaaaaaybe if you stay late, or do extra, or engage in the emailed surveys, then It Will Be Okay. If you keep staying overtime, your manager will appreciate you. She might even show mercy if it comes to new schedules. Now, deep down you know that means gently caress all. I used to work 6 days a week to help cover some rote route work. It didn't help me when the chance to transfer came; the spot went to another rear end in a top hat who didn't do as much as I did, per my manager at the time. It didn't help any of the other times I needed something, but Business Needs are more important.

So I need to text my boss every day after lunch, if our autorouter dispatch has me out past a time I need to leave. I tell her it's 430 every day. I work 8-4 usually, but I am cool with the 30 minutes because usually 430 turns to 445. Sometimes 530, if I don't say poo poo. Twice this week I stayed past 5. And then when I insist on 430 and my route gets clear and I still get back at 445, why does that desperate voice start simpering, "Would it have killed you to stay late? To do one more order? Why not help them out?"

The story about the two wolves inside you is spot on. But one of them has bought the corporate bullshit and spouts off, not For The Good of the Company, because that would be too Animal Farm, but "Help Them, and When It Counts, They Will Help You."

And the second wolf laughs and says "They Will Help You Set Yourself on Fire And Won't Piss To Put You Out."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

It is exactly like an abusive relationship. Think about the way your boss berates you. Working in banking I have encountered an phenomenon in the branches where sales results rule all and very lovely, abusive people often get put in management because they are able to drive sales results, or at least people above them think they can. I have 3 managers in a row that would literally scream at employees. The last one before I moved to the back office would do it in front of customers and would also throw things sometimes. She would ask do poo poo like pinning a new responsibility on you, and then giving you a lovely review for not having executed on that responsibility that she literally just gave you in that same conversation.

By the time I left that branch abuse from managers had been normalized to me so much that it was strange to go into the back office where I was treated with respect and if you messed up they said, “Hey therobit, I noticed you did this. That isn’t a good idea for this reason. Could you please not do it in the future?” Or, “I would like to see this metric improve for you. Do you need help from someone getting there?”

So, the point of posting all that is that you need to get a different job if you are being treated like crap. If it feels like abuse it probably is. And holy hell this is literally the best time ever to be looking for a new job as a delivery driver.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

I for one love the fact that the same people screaming "MY BODY MY CHOICE" about vaccines almost always, almost, have "It's a Child Not a Choice" bumper stickers, and people screaming about MY FREEDOMS are the first to insist the bakery doesn't need to violate their religion by making them queers a cake.

Anyway, help me goons. I started falling down that hole again. The "if i stay late today, the next time there is a furlough, it won't be me on the chopping block" mantra that starts, that I know is bullshit, as much as we know stepping on a crack won't shatter anyone's spine. But why. Why. It feels so similar to being in an abusive relationship, where you know deep down nothing will change, but maaaaaaybe if you stay late, or do extra, or engage in the emailed surveys, then It Will Be Okay. If you keep staying overtime, your manager will appreciate you. She might even show mercy if it comes to new schedules. Now, deep down you know that means gently caress all. I used to work 6 days a week to help cover some rote route work. It didn't help me when the chance to transfer came; the spot went to another rear end in a top hat who didn't do as much as I did, per my manager at the time. It didn't help any of the other times I needed something, but Business Needs are more important.

So I need to text my boss every day after lunch, if our autorouter dispatch has me out past a time I need to leave. I tell her it's 430 every day. I work 8-4 usually, but I am cool with the 30 minutes because usually 430 turns to 445. Sometimes 530, if I don't say poo poo. Twice this week I stayed past 5. And then when I insist on 430 and my route gets clear and I still get back at 445, why does that desperate voice start simpering, "Would it have killed you to stay late? To do one more order? Why not help them out?"

The story about the two wolves inside you is spot on. But one of them has bought the corporate bullshit and spouts off, not For The Good of the Company, because that would be too Animal Farm, but "Help Them, and When It Counts, They Will Help You."

And the second wolf laughs and says "They Will Help You Set Yourself on Fire And Won't Piss To Put You Out."

They will only respect you less if you don't set your boundaries.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It isn't LIKE an abusive relationship. It IS an abusive relationship.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

The Lord Bude posted:

My employer, who is one of Australia's largest and employs roughly a quarter of a million people; has just announced that it's making covid vaccination mandatory nation wide. I'm particularly proud given that our competitor has decided it's only imposing a mandate in the 3 states where the government has made it mandatory for retail workers to be vaccinated.

The vitriol in our internal social media is delicious these people are responsible for some of the most intellectually bankrupt bleating I've ever been subjected too and although the company is quick to delete their posts I'm thrilled to be rid of them

I work for a... fairly prominent Australian not-for-profit organisation and the howling and gnashing of teeth when our management said vaccinations were mandatory for all staff was incredible, all of the absolute worst people I work with going off their rockers. I'd normally be the first to yell about the tyranny of a workplace forcing decisions on workers, but this time.. let them throw the toys out of the pram and lose their jobs.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

I work for a... fairly prominent Australian not-for-profit organisation and the howling and gnashing of teeth when our management said vaccinations were mandatory for all staff was incredible, all of the absolute worst people I work with going off their rockers. I'd normally be the first to yell about the tyranny of a workplace forcing decisions on workers, but this time.. let them throw the toys out of the pram and lose their jobs.

Amen to that. Fortunately very few of these people are in my specific workplace. We have 2-3 people in my store who have expressed an opposition to getting vaccinated. One of them is in their early 70s and has been gradually cutting down their hours as they transition into retirement - they've gone from full time to 10 hours a week over the course of the past 5 years or so and I suspect this will be the push they need to finally retire. The other two are bigger dickheads that I thankfully don't work with directly, will be interesting to see what they do.

I feel like nobody wanted to be the one to make the first move on this, and my company taking the lead and announcing has opened the floodgates - the other two major supermarket chains followed suit within a couple of days and more and more companies are getting on board. I expect mandatory vaccination to become the norm in Australia, at least in larger companies, and I'm really happy that's the case.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The person I trained a couple weeks ago for my backup on my cushy job is one of those. It's part of my grand plan to make sure no one takes my cushy role from me. Yes we need more people trained, yes the warehouse needs flexibility to shift me about. Yes he's actually a very good fit for the position (grumpy rear end in a top hat introvert with a strong work ethic).

But he's also a full blown conspiracy theorist so while I might lose the occasional shift or even week to him I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone as soon as Amazon feels it has enough breathing room to actually enact such a mandate. Or he gets it and I can mock him.

Speaking of my job. I love when everything's gone poorly enough that the normally loud Amazon warehouse has gone quiet enough I can hear the belt-start alarm from across the building as someone jams the reset button for the 115th time in a row hoping that the machinery will restart. Or maybe it will restart on the 116th...or 117th... Never looking for the little piece of paper in front of the sensor that's reporting a jam...

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Yeah, I'm in Vic and have 2 staff that refuse to get the jab. One has had constant issues and just makes my day harder when he works so it's been a breath of fresh air to not have him around for the last week loving things up, problem solved.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
One of our label printers hasn't been working right since they brought the computer that uses it back online. It's a bog standard Zebra thermal printer. Every time you try to print something it suddenly decides it needs a ribbon to print.

IT guy spent an hour and a half yesterday trying to fix it with no success. I fixed it in five minutes. Windows printer settings had it set as a ribbon printer, so every time you tried to print it reset the printer's settings.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Went in for overtime last night since Amazon's so stressed out they're offering double pay. Yeah, sure, I'm totally fine with taking 2x my normal rate to stand around and read a book because you let my line run dry. Went and actually cleaned up my station, got fresh supplies for my pack machine but no...most profitable line in the building runs dry for nearly 2 hours with only a trickle of work coming down.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Ok which of you postal goons broke something so tons of mail now has Return to Sender or Unable to Forward stickers on them despite being the same address that is still working?

Knock it off!

Also a general pox on anyone who tapes stuff inside an envelope. I don't like you.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

this is only retail related because it concerns a coworker of mine, but is there a derisive term for someone who fawns over military stuff and won't shut up about it but when asked refuses to enlist?

this loving kids is driving me insane with his chud energy. to his credit, he salutes me because he knows it will boil my blood, but he needs to stop. it's embarrassing.

tia

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Isn't it a massive faux pas to salute a civilian?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Leal posted:

Isn't it a massive faux pas to salute a civilian?

probably!

I just give him credit for it because it's a good troll.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!

Rainbow Knight posted:

this is only retail related because it concerns a coworker of mine, but is there a derisive term for someone who fawns over military stuff and won't shut up about it but when asked refuses to enlist?

I always refer to military fetishists like this as "gunhumpers", hth

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Rainbow Knight posted:

this loving kids is driving me insane with his chud energy. to his credit, he salutes me because he knows it will boil my blood, but he needs to stop. it's embarrassing.

tia

Bootlicker, pathetic motherfucker, absolutely square dildo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ashye posted:

Ok which of you postal goons broke something so tons of mail now has Return to Sender or Unable to Forward stickers on them despite being the same address that is still working?

Knock it off!

Also a general pox on anyone who tapes stuff inside an envelope. I don't like you.

I'm not trained on the RFS.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Person who lusts for death over oil

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rainbow Knight posted:

tia

Alamosexual, or Chickenhawk is what I use. The latter's probably more appropriate for your situation.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Alkydere posted:

Alamosexual, or Chickenhawk is what I use. The latter's probably more appropriate for your situation.

much obliged :tipshat:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Caution: "chickenhawk" has another definition that may lead to bad times if someone misunderstands who you're calling that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Midjack posted:

Caution: "chickenhawk" has another definition that may lead to bad times if someone misunderstands who you're calling that.

I'll just stick to calling him a goober