Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What the gently caress are they even talking about? While lotta double negatives and ambiguous (and poorly spelled) words in those tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Some other tweets are pointing to the Elections AB communications being controlled by the Alberta Government and accusing Elections AB of being partisan.

For some Ontario news Dougie channeled his inner Don Cherry to warn New Canadians to not be lazy freeloaders.

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1450165263123550219?t=iHd2C9Tl0OlDwL5qW3707Q&s=19

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 18, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I think we're ignoring the more important referendum issue: daylight savings time.

gently caress DST. Hurry up and get rid of it AB, so BC can maybe get it's poo poo together and hopefully the rest of the country too.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1450165263123550219

Cripes this guy is a dumb rear end in a top hat.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Arc Hammer posted:

For some Ontario news Dougie channeled his inner Don Cherry to warn New Canadians to not be lazy freeloaders.

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1450165263123550219?t=iHd2C9Tl0OlDwL5qW3707Q&s=19

As an immigrant who almost broke their tailbone the other day, this statement is uncomfortably resonant :tinfoil:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I think we're ignoring the more important referendum issue: daylight savings time.

gently caress DST. Hurry up and get rid of it AB, so BC can maybe get it's poo poo together and hopefully the rest of the country too.

AB's "getting rid of it" is "making it permanent" so we'd be on perma-DST instead of perma-Standard time, which seems like the Dumb way to handle it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Look, someone's gotta pick up the slack for all the old-stock Canadians on pogey, right?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

https://twitter.com/ElectionsAB/status/1450195580978798594?t=FQnmSeF90jWWSX4RYeQyYg

lol. lmao.

:shepicide:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 10, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Pleads posted:

AB's "getting rid of it" is "making it permanent" so we'd be on perma-DST instead of perma-Standard time, which seems like the Dumb way to handle it.

Yeah, I don't get this part. It made sense for BC to stay on daylight time, so they're not 2 hours apart from AB for half the year. But AB really should be on MST. Making MDT permanent is exactly why they couldn't make it happen four years ago.

It's like they learned nothing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That article framing it as "Alberta-only timezone" makes it make so much more sense. loving snowflakes.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Either way, I'll take permanent daylight time over changing twice a year. Enough of that poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

It's like they learned nothing.

Alberta?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Either way, I'll take permanent daylight time over changing twice a year. Enough of that poo poo.

Yes. Get up “earlier” or go to bed “earlier” if you have an opinion on sunshine, otherwise stop jerking the rest of us around.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Every time the Coward Douglas Ford opens that fuckhole in his face, we all become dumber.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Albino Squirrel posted:

I don't know why ordering coffee is the go to example for basic language proficiency. First, if you've ever been to Starbucks you speak enough Italian to order coffee. Second, Kaffe is like the same loving word in every European language, and third, even if you don't speak a word of the local language it's amazing how far you can get by pointing and smiling.

Coffee is the level where you need to know the absolute basics of a language to stand a chance (like literally please, thank you, and maybe how to say some largish numbers), but don't need the vocabulary you'd need for a restaurant. Anyone who says they know a language because they can order a coffee are super dumb, but it's my baseline when in other countries for learning at least enough to do that. It's less "I know the language because I can order coffee" and more "if you can't at least order coffee, you're putting zero effort whatsoever in to even attempt to speak the local language, because that's like 10 minutes of vocabulary".

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

"Turns out if Canadians demand things like 'working standards' and 'living wages', we can just bring in temporary workers to abuse even worse and pay less"

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

IIRC BC is waiting for the West Coast states of the USA to approve the change. I'm pretty sure California is the only state on the coast that hasn't approved perma dst but any change will have to get passed through the USA federal govt so we are probably waiting for a while / forever.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

enki42 posted:

"Turns out if Canadians demand things like 'working standards' and 'living wages', we can just bring in temporary workers to abuse even worse and pay less"

nah, I mean sorta but this is part of a general labour crunch that's been building for a while and accelerated by Covid. it's a bunch of poo poo coming together, fundamental failure for our labour market system and government to adapt to changing circumstances and even blanket wages going up wouldn't help with the fundamental disconnect we are seeing in hiring practices and just general training and spin up practices.

That said, yes Ford is a racist toad and he and his ilk's solution is to try and import labor on the cheap, while being a racist rear end in a top hat about it, but that won't work in a bunch of sectors for exactly the reasons we are tripping up now.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MA-Horus posted:

Every time the Coward Douglas Ford opens that fuckhole in his face, we all become dumber.

Why.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

enki42 posted:

Coffee is the level where you need to know the absolute basics of a language to stand a chance (like literally please, thank you, and maybe how to say some largish numbers), but don't need the vocabulary you'd need for a restaurant. Anyone who says they know a language because they can order a coffee are super dumb, but it's my baseline when in other countries for learning at least enough to do that. It's less "I know the language because I can order coffee" and more "if you can't at least order coffee, you're putting zero effort whatsoever in to even attempt to speak the local language, because that's like 10 minutes of vocabulary".

I think why this is a particular issue in Montreal is that, at least downtown, there's often not a really affirming reaction to being less-than-perfect in French. I've had the passive-aggressive switch to English, eye rolls, actual laughter, feigned inability to understand a slight mispronunciation, the whole lot. I have never seen that when trying to speak another language anywhere else in the world (and to be fair, I've never seen it in Montreal outside of the downtown-ish area; whenever I'd go drinking in Mile End, it was much better).

They both expect you to learn French, and make no effort toward encouraging you to do so, because ultimately the people who take that sort of attitude don't give a poo poo about the language you're speaking, they resent that you're there. Reasonably, I think it could be the proximity to McGill and Concordia, because the times I've visited post-graduation, it's been a lot better and people don't take an attitude with me so much when I make a mistake in French.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

PT6A posted:

I think why this is a particular issue in Montreal is that, at least downtown, there's often not a really affirming reaction to being less-than-perfect in French. I've had the passive-aggressive switch to English, eye rolls, actual laughter, feigned inability to understand a slight mispronunciation, the whole lot. I have never seen that when trying to speak another language anywhere else in the world (and to be fair, I've never seen it in Montreal outside of the downtown-ish area; whenever I'd go drinking in Mile End, it was much better).

France is very much also like this (probably depends to some degree on where you go, but I've absolutely encountered this in not-super-touristy areas of Paris, less so in super touristy areas and places that aren't even vaguely touristy). I don't necessarily think it's inherent to French or anything, but both France and Quebec are particularly anal about maintaining the language and are pretty control-happy about it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Video here where Del Duca explains his "electoral reform" promise.

Del Duca would apparently immediately implement Ranked Ballots. Never mind all that referendum nonsense that we've always put PR through.

Presumably the Citizens Assembly is not gonna be anywhere near a question around whether or not we should vote using PR, considering that every Citizens Assembly ever has proposed using PR.

https://twitter.com/StevenDelDuca/status/1450119006141222922?s=20

What a loving nightmare this will be if this guy gets elected.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

PT6A posted:

They both expect you to learn French, and make no effort toward encouraging you to do so, because ultimately the people who take that sort of attitude don't give a poo poo about the language you're speaking, they resent that you're there. Reasonably, I think it could be the proximity to McGill and Concordia, because the times I've visited post-graduation, it's been a lot better and people don't take an attitude with me so much when I make a mistake in French.

I grew up in Quebec and had this same experience. It was incredibly difficult for me to speak French anywhere because people would laugh in my face. I've also never seen that with any other language. On top of that, the French instruction in English schools was terrible in the 80s. It was one of those total immersion classes where they won't use a word of English even in grade 1. I spent 6 years of elementary school not learning a drat thing because of that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

What a loving nightmare this will be if this guy gets elected.

He is a Liberal, yes.

EngineerJoe posted:

On top of that, the French instruction in English schools was terrible in the 80s. It was one of those total immersion classes where they won't use a word of English even in grade 1. I spent 6 years of elementary school not learning a drat thing because of that.

French submersion

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

When Horwath inevitably loses to a Liberal leader that the majority of Ontario can't even identify by name do you think then she'll finally step down?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Depends on whether they manage a minor increase in seats again, I guess. I mean, for that to happen and still lose to Del Duca the PCPO would have to be reduced to where the OLP is now, so I wouldn't count on it, but who knows what 2022 has in store?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Despite the UCP and mystery PACs throwing a ridiculous amount of money and effort behind ultra-right candidate Farkas, He just lost to left-leaning Jyoti Gondek for Calgary mayor.

A female immigrant of Punjabi heritage. The right--wingers are going to lose their minds

Looks like Mike nickel is going to lose Edmonton, too, to former Liberal MP Amarjeet Sohi.

Hopefully that means the referendum bullshit got crushed, too.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 19, 2021

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nah the equalization poo poo is getting carried by rural areas and all the senate "recommendation" votes are going for the right-wingers.

Daylight savings might squeak a No vote through narrowly, and thankfully Calgary seems to be voting in favour of fluoride back in the water.

Aside from that, gently caress this miserable province.

e: I mean I know the senate vote is just a way for the UCP to drum up turnout for the races they actually care about.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 19, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I went to grad school with a guy from France and he thought Quebec French was hilarious. He described as “imagine hearing people speak Shakespearean English but with a thick Brooklyn accent.”

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mr. Apollo posted:

I went to grad school with a guy from France and he thought Quebec French was hilarious. He described as “imagine hearing people speak Shakespearean English but with a thick Brooklyn accent.”

Every Parisien man sounds like Fraser or Niles Crane to my francocanadien ears.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Powershift posted:

Despite the UCP and mystery PACs throwing a ridiculous amount of money and effort behind ultra-right candidate Farkas, He just lost to left-leaning Jyoti Gondek for Calgary mayor.

A female immigrant of Punjabi heritage. The right--wingers are going to lose their minds

Looks like Mike nickel is going to lose Edmonton, too, to former Liberal MP Amarjeet Sohi.

Hopefully that means the referendum bullshit got crushed, too.
It looks like progressive candidates may have mostly swept the board in Edmonton - Tony Caterina lost handily in O-day'min ward, Jon Dziadyk lost in tastawiyiniwak, Aaron Paquette was re-elected in Dene, Michael Janz won in papastew... and yeah, $0.05 lost fortunately.

(this year we renamed our wards to First Nations words; you could generally tell who was a chud because they'd have signs saying "vote for me in Ward 2" instead of "vote in Anirniq".)

e: also both of Alberta's big city mayors are of Punjabi heritage, interestingly enough.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Cooper4SAE/status/1273457127571558401

I wonder how Cooper feels nowadays.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I don't think he has much in the way of emotions, it wasn't part of the curse that turned him from a puppet into a real boy.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Powershift posted:

I'm happy about Gondek (first female Calgary Mayor is cool), though I voted for Damery. Courtney Walcott won Ward 8 too :toot:

However, accused pedophile Sean Chu is leading in Ward 4 and that's not loving great.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

In my riding, Mike Nickels seat was replaced with a woman of color as well, to my pleasure.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Every Parisien man sounds like Fraser or Niles Crane to my francocanadien ears.

Word

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Mr. Apollo posted:

This is an extremely good way to describe it lol

Back when I was reading Moliere in university, I was the only person in the class who didn't have a million questions about the "weird grammar", because it's literally just the French my country rear end folk speak in Manitoba today.

Honestly though, this one time I was watching some extremely white wool rear end Quebecois dude I knew get ridiculed for his French by a pair of Parisian tourists, when it was clearly very important to his extremely racist identity, might have been the most fulfilling moment of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

enki42 posted:

France is very much also like this (probably depends to some degree on where you go, but I've absolutely encountered this in not-super-touristy areas of Paris, less so in super touristy areas and places that aren't even vaguely touristy). I don't necessarily think it's inherent to French or anything, but both France and Quebec are particularly anal about maintaining the language and are pretty control-happy about it.

Quebecois and the French approach language differently imo. The French are language snobs yet happily use loanwords that aren't French ("mail" to denote email, for example). Accents are ok, English words are actually cool, but don't you dare use improper grammar! In proper Quebec french this is a no-no (use "courriel"). This is because Quebec is keeping the French torch lit in a sea of colonialist anglos intent on snuffing it out, or something like that.

For what it's worth, as a native Quebecois who visits France sometimes, I enjoyed myself a whole lot more over there once I started leading with English. They seem much happier tolerating an "American" tourist (my English is not very French-accented) than hearing Quebecois.

It's really cringy and annoying that any Quebecois would would give a hard time to anglos trying to practice.