Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Tei posted:

Cargo culting is not a recipe for failure. Its just mediocre with mediocre results.

If your definition of success is to increase employee churn in the company, then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Edit double post

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

wolfman101 posted:

If your definition of success is to increase employee churn in the company, then yes.

I may just be having a mental breakdown but maybe that's really what the industry's definition of success is. Maybe it really is people who can see the humor in the insanity of the industry keeping the "I'm helping mommy" crowd of business analysts, project managers and CInOs employable without any really useful software resulting. I've ended up crashing and burning over and over from trying to make successful software and maybe it really is just some bullshit kabuki.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They discovered how to treat software as capital, and ever since then, investors, not users, are more often the customers, and usefulness is secondary to compatibility with whatever asinine scheme to conjure up a paper fortune is in vogue this quarter.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Bongo Bill posted:

They discovered how to treat software as capital, and ever since then, investors, not users, are more often the customers, and usefulness is secondary to compatibility with whatever asinine scheme to conjure up a paper fortune is in vogue this quarter.

Can't wait until we move on from NFT and MetaVerse as the hot buzzwords. Not looking forward to whatever is next being even more asinine.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

After resetting my password through my company's timesheet website and having to go through their helpdesk because the password email wasn't sent, and trying to change the password on login because I'm forced to.

quote:

Password cannot be changed more than once per day. You last changed your password on '10/15/2021'. Please contact the helpdesk.

Also the temporary password is only good for 2 hours, so I can't just wait a day to change my password.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I may just be having a mental breakdown but maybe that's really what the industry's definition of success is. Maybe it really is people who can see the humor in the insanity of the industry keeping the "I'm helping mommy" crowd of business analysts, project managers and CInOs employable without any really useful software resulting. I've ended up crashing and burning over and over from trying to make successful software and maybe it really is just some bullshit kabuki.

Basically this.

In my experience, enterprise’s main problem is that they are infested with “expert beginners” and “friend’s kids” whose main priority is to undermine everyone more competent than them who can see through their bullshit.

Startups main problem is VC investors insane demands.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
A lot of web shops are full of people winging it in a bloated organization where very few salaries have a positive ROI and the company has a single golden goose that's on autopilot but is extremely hard to grow any further.

So the company dumps money back into itself in order to keep growing and nobody knows how to make themselves actually useful, but they like getting paid and they better look busy.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Rubellavator posted:

After resetting my password through my company's timesheet website and having to go through their helpdesk because the password email wasn't sent, and trying to change the password on login because I'm forced to.

Also the temporary password is only good for 2 hours, so I can't just wait a day to change my password.

guessing they are storing old passwords to check whether you are reusing them, and the primary key for the table is the date. (lol)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hammerite posted:

guessing they are storing old passwords to check whether you are reusing them, and the primary key for the table is the date. (lol)

Not necessarily. Active Directory allows you to set a minimum password age before changing. It's stupid as hell and annoys the poo poo out of me when I miss a pw change and need IT to unlock my account because their administrative reset ALSO has the minimum age requirement.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

lol is that entirely so that "you can't reuse any of your last 12 passwords" isn't trivially defeated by changing your password 12 times in quick succession?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pretty much yeah. Ours is set to a one day minimum at work.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
thank god, now we can be sure that employees are making use of the entire password1... password12 space

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Mine was always passwordMMYY.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Felt like someone read a bunch of different ideas about passwords and just applied all of them even if they were contradictory. Like

1) users should be made to change temporary passwords after log in
2) temporary passwords cannot last longer than 2 hours
3) users can't change passwords more than once every 24 hours

Unless you add an exception for #3 regarding temporary passwords (and they didnt), you can't do all 3 of those! I had to wait for the 1 guy who runs the help desk to manually reset my password.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
this is easier

Only registered members can see post attachments!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
That's...a joke, right? I can't imagine any situation where a salted and hashed password should have any effect approaching a query.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

D34THROW posted:

That's...a joke, right? I can't imagine any situation where a salted and hashed password should have any effect approaching a query.

It's not a joke, it's a big red flag.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

D34THROW posted:

That's the video that they discover in Event Horizon of the crew warning everyone to save themselves from hell

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

D34THROW posted:

what makes you think they're salted or hashed

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

D34THROW posted:

I mean, no user input should ever be interpreted as SQL period. But this does imply a series of problems.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Biowarfare posted:

what makes you think they're salted or hashed

string salt(string password) {
return password + password;
}

string hash(string password) {
return password.toUpper();
}

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

NihilCredo posted:

string salt(string password) {
return password + password;
}

string hash(string password) {
return password.toUpper();
}
I finished your implementation.
bool authenticate(string username, string password){
string query = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Users U where LOWER(U.username) = '" + username.toLower() + "' AND LOWER(U.securedPassword) = '" + hash(salt(password)).toLower() +"' OR U.Password = '" + password;
int i = executeMyQuery(query);
return i>0;}

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
dont forget we dont want people reusing passwords

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX aaaaaa ON Users (Password);
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX aaaaaaaaaa ON Users (securedPassword);

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

I finished your implementation.
bool authenticate(string username, string password){
string query = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Users U where LOWER(U.username) = '" + username.toLower() + "' AND LOWER(U.securedPassword) = '" + hash(salt(password)).toLower() +"' OR U.Password = '" + password;
int i = executeMyQuery(query);
return i>0;}

lmao just logging into any user i want just by using my own password

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Rubellavator posted:

lmao just logging into any user i want just by using my own password

:ssh: the password matching is even worse than that

not to mention the flagrant SQL injection and recoverable passwords no matter the salting and hashing algorithms and and and...

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

not to mention the flagrant SQL injection and recoverable passwords no matter the salting and hashing algorithms and and and...

yeah it's great it gets worse every time i look at it

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Nth Doctor posted:

Lmao took me a minute or so to see it.

So which S&P500 firm did you find this at?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
A short story from building web applications for small clients in the early 2000s.

Client: You need to change the password requirements.

Me: Why? They're pretty standard.

Client: The president's password needs to be admin.

Me: That's not good.

Client: He's not learning a new password.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
OK so your password is still "admin", but your username has changed from "Prez" to "qFWtAL4Z2YeBpaCXAXaP". Also, don't ever tell anybody what your username is.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Doom Mathematic posted:

OK so your password is still "admin", but your username has changed from "Prez" to "qFWtAL4Z2YeBpaCXAXaP". Also, don't ever tell anybody what your username is.

"No, my username has to be admin too, I'm not learning a new one"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just get his PA to approve all login attempts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Make a special logged in page for him where it just says "Everything is A-OK Sir" and you can't do anything else.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

lifg posted:

A short story from building web applications for small clients in the early 2000s.

Client: You need to change the password requirements.

Me: Why? They're pretty standard.

Client: The president's password needs to be admin.

Me: That's not good.

Client: He's not learning a new password.

You could have asked if the boss only logins from his office, or he login from different places.
Making so admin-admin only works from the boss office ip. If somebody else try to use admin-admin, a message would show "this iP is not authorized for login with this user, please ask it added to the authorization list, or use your secondary safe password"

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Tei posted:

You could have asked if the boss only logins from his office, or he login from different places.
Making so admin-admin only works from the boss office ip. If somebody else try to use admin-admin, a message would show "this iP is not authorized for login with this user, please ask it added to the authorization list, or use your secondary safe password"

Doing unnecessary work for a lovely client is the greatest code horror of them all. Just set the password expiry to 30 days.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DoctorTristan posted:

Doing unnecessary work for a lovely client is the greatest code horror of them all. Just set the password expiry to 30 days.

Even better, time to stretch your CYA skills:

quote:

Dear $whoever_speaks_for_the_client,

you recently requested that our default password security policies be relaxed, in particular so that a certain high-privileged user may be allowed to use a non-rotating, weak password.

The security concerns of weak password policies are well known and documented: [link to two or three not-too-technical links from enterprise consultant poo poo like gartner or whatever]

In light of the above, I strongly warn against the relaxing of said policies.

Please let us know if you would like us to proceed with the policy change, regardless of the above considerations.

Kind regards,

xxxVegeta69xxx

Take the response, print it, laminate it, put it in your bank safe.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The one PHP shop I worked in did SELECT * FROM Users WHERE Username = @username AND Password = @password on login. No, there was no hashing. Oh and Password was a VARCHAR(8).

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm always shocked at how common unhashed passwords are. My first job had them until I replaced them with 2-way encryption (a demand from sales that they could tell people their current password rather than reset it). My second job had modified AD so that your password was stored clear text as an attribute on your profile. My current job had a product we were using that stores usernames and passwords clear text in the database. Best part is that stupid product's entire selling point was supposed to be security.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

But the database is stored on a computer that's behind a very secure door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I got hired by a small business to figure out why their website kept getting hacked and it turned out the person who made it used some kind of wizard to generate the SQL (using Dreamweaver I think) and ended up generating an overcomplicated join query to check logins. It ended up checking to see if the password matched any user's password, and there was at least one user record with a blank password, so you could just type any username and no password and log in as that user. Also it used HTTP GET to pass the username and password in the URL to every page instead of using cookies or sessions. At least the passwords were hashed in the database!