Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
What do you mean pivot to India? The smiling buddha tests were a direct response to the PRC getting the nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

30.5 Days posted:

If your primary goal is making sure a dying, erratic empire doesn't suddenly convince themselves that their anti-missile systems can stop an ICBM and yolo'ing armageddon, these seem like a worthwhile investment.

Its really funny the dying empire trying their hardest to maintain their cult of invincibility while they can't do poo poo against NK missile tests

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

What do you mean pivot to India? The smiling buddha tests were a direct response to the PRC getting the nukes.

we couldn't do anything about china so the US started putting pressure on india not to develop. they obviously ignored us

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Thats funny given that the US probably killed off Homi Bhaba to curtail the Indian nuclear program.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Every country was saying they didn't want nuke or was not developing nuke until they did the first test. This will happen to Iran too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

Thats funny given that the US probably killed off Homi Bhaba to curtail the Indian nuclear program.

lmao that's a fascinating wiki page

aight here's the pdf of the policy paper written in anticipation of the first chinese nuclear bomb test (five weeks before kennedy got got), a few months before thebig event. it contains too many funny tidbits to post but i'd suggest anyone interested to skim through it. it gets interesting in the political recommendations part starting on Section VII starting near the bottom of page 72. highlights include "we should probably step up counterinsurgency efforts in southeast asia, that will work out well" and "if they detonate a bomb, we should not reconsider the ROC's place in the UN" (rip lol), and possibly my favorite section:

post ur favorites, this thing is illuminating and hilarious

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 03:55 on Oct 19, 2021

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Some Indian startup made some weapons for the Indian troops who got into a hand to hand fight with Chinese soldiers on the border.

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1449972165751689216

Wouldn't it be much better to put the taser element on the palm? Imagine grappling with those loving things

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gorman Thomas posted:

Wouldn't it be much better to put the taser element on the palm? Imagine grappling with those loving things

the point is to get a little distance so you don't get chucked over a cliff. think of it like animal control poles

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Taser fists kinda cool ngl

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Taser fists kinda cool ngl

what if you wanted to slap ur bud's rear end

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

i say swears online posted:

what if you wanted to slap ur bud's rear end

imagine tasing urself when you go take a piss

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
tase balls tase balls tase balls

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Every country was saying they didn't want nuke or was not developing nuke until they did the first test. This will happen to Iran too.

I personally don't think Iran will develop nuclear weapons because of the fatwah, but if Khomeini dies / is replaced and the new guy decides to change his mind we might see an Iranian nuclear program. There's also the threats that the Saudis have been making, which is that if Iran gets nuclear weapons they'll just buy some from Pakistan and nuke up themselves, which is very obviously A Horrible Outcome For Everyone

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I personally don't think Iran will develop nuclear weapons because of the fatwah, but if Khomeini dies / is replaced and the new guy decides to change his mind we might see an Iranian nuclear program. There's also the threats that the Saudis have been making, which is that if Iran gets nuclear weapons they'll just buy some from Pakistan and nuke up themselves, which is very obviously A Horrible Outcome For Everyone

i thought iran's thing was to develop breakout capacity

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

Xi needs to send all the posters in this thread to work in the countryside
i want to be the designated DJ who plays inspiring songs that make you wanna work for the something awful construction and production corps when xi sends us out to some blasted part of western china. the song is titled "go west" but i like to think of it as the direction of the belt & road project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBjMRvOB5M

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
might want to also consider doing a mixtape with yang hongji. some say i also have a baritone voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKcsyPBZAPo

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

lmao that's a fascinating wiki page

aight here's the pdf of the policy paper written in anticipation of the first chinese nuclear bomb test (five weeks before kennedy got got), a few months before thebig event. it contains too many funny tidbits to post but i'd suggest anyone interested to skim through it. it gets interesting in the political recommendations part starting on Section VII starting near the bottom of page 72. highlights include "we should probably step up counterinsurgency efforts in southeast asia, that will work out well" and "if they detonate a bomb, we should not reconsider the ROC's place in the UN" (rip lol), and possibly my favorite section:

post ur favorites, this thing is illuminating and hilarious

Capital truly cannot help itself.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

oops wrong thread ignore this

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don't think Iran's lack of a program is a leadership issue, but rather than want the ability to have breakout ability as a deterrent threat without losing access to European markets. Israel has been obviously trying to delay this, but at this point it is pretty clear that Iran could have a program together if they truly wanted to and they have a delivery system to do so (at least IRBMs...I am sure they will probably have ICBM capabilities fairly soon).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I don't think Iran's lack of a program is a leadership issue, but rather than want the ability to have breakout ability as a deterrent threat without losing access to European markets. Israel has been obviously trying to delay this, but at this point it is pretty clear that Iran could have a program together if they truly wanted to and they have a delivery system to do so (at least IRBMs...I am sure they will probably have ICBM capabilities fairly soon).

kinda surprising they don't; as soon as trump pulled out of the agreement they should have gone full manhattan project. we weren't going to invade and sanctions couldn't have been much worse

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

kinda surprising they don't; as soon as trump pulled out of the agreement they should have gone full manhattan project. we weren't going to invade and sanctions couldn't have been much worse

The issue isn't US sanctions as much as UN/EU sanctions, and the Iranians are hoping if they don't go "full monty" they can still do business with the rest of the world besides the US. More recently the UN arms sales ban was lifted, which more or less means the Iranians can directly access Russian/Chinese tech.

(I wouldn't be surprised if the Iranians just buy a 5th generation fighter from one of them, the SU-75 specifically seems like it would be right up their alley.)

There isn't really that much the US can do to the Iranians at this point besides what the Israelis are already doing which is to try to sabotage their programs. The US simply couldn't mount an invasion of Iran at this point, and even a bombing campaign may be sketchy considering the tech they potentially have access to.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

was reading wikis of the three separate revolutions/coups in iraq in the sixties: does anyone have something either a more in-depth dive or a more concise narrative of the era? it's extremely confusing to bounce back and forth between nassarists and nationalists and communists and how each influenced iraq itself but also jordan, syria, egypt, yemen and saudi arabia in their own right

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Gorman Thomas posted:

yeah but how could you do ebin kulturkampf?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

yeah but how could you do ebin kulturkampf?

evidence you're gonna shock yourself

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Your average BJP supporter will electrocute himself and then thank modi for providing the electricity for said electrocution.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/suidaila/status/1450412453066649607

"So you shall go [fight China] since it seems to torment you"

lol

e:
I'm reminded of Orwell's famous quote from Homage to Catalonia: “Perhaps when the next Great War comes we may see that sight unprecedented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him.”

Red and Black has issued a correction as of 12:24 on Oct 19, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah France is a small country of 67 millions, he is right. France should give up their security council seat to either EU or India. Not being sarcastic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JEAN-LUC!!!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/china/china-punish-parents-intl-hnk/index.html

looks like parents are about to get sent concentration camps for their unruly kids. and hell, Im ok with it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
love the contrast between the headline and
In the draft of the family education promotion law, guardians will be reprimanded and ordered to go through family education guidance programs if prosecutors find very bad or criminal behavior in children under their care.

oh no, not counseling!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
cant imagine living in a devil country where our leaders would laugh in our faces about criminally prosecuting parents of truant kids

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/china/china-punish-parents-intl-hnk/index.html

looks like parents are about to get sent concentration camps for their unruly kids. and hell, Im ok with it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Truga posted:

love the contrast between the headline and
In the draft of the family education promotion law, guardians will be reprimanded and ordered to go through family education guidance programs if prosecutors find very bad or criminal behavior in children under their care.

oh no, not counseling!

Nobody reads past the headline, what's wrong with you.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

I am now a dengist.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEpVJ8pOS2I

deutsche welle on the chinese thorium reactor

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

also from Nature: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02459-w

quote:

China’s reactor will be “a test bed to do a lot of learning”, says Forsberg, from analysing corrosion to characterizing the radionucleotide composition of the mixture as it circulates.

“We are going to learn so much new science,” agrees Simon Middleburgh, a nuclear materials scientist at Bangor University, UK. “If they would let me, I’d be on the first plane there.”

It could take months for China’s reactor to reach full operation. “If anything along the way goes wrong, you can’t continue, and have to stop and start again,” says Middleburgh. For example, the pumps might fail, pipes could corrode or a blockage might occur. Nevertheless, scientists are hopeful of success.

Molten-salt reactors are just one of many advanced nuclear technologies China is investing in. In 2002, an intergovernmental forum identified six promising reactor technologies to fast-track by 2030, including reactors cooled by lead or sodium liquids. China has programmes for all of them.

Some of these reactor types could replace coal-fuelled power plants, says David Fishman, a project manager at the Lantau Group energy consultancy in Hong Kong. “As China cruises towards carbon neutrality, it could pull out [power plant] boilers and retrofit them with nuclear reactors.”

Nature 597, 311-312 (2021)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
What, a British guy not dissing China? What is wrong with him

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Russia suspends NATO mission after staff expelled

quote:

Russia will suspend the activities of its diplomatic mission to NATO and close the alliance’s offices in Moscow in response to its expulsion of eight Russians in a row over spying.

Some more tit for tat between NATO and Russia.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1450503074523533322?s=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IKn73QmH4Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Let them have their tartar sauce