Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I am so excited!
https://twitter.com/briamgilbert/status/1450175295487561731?t=AojXC44nH5D4tuCDkN69kw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Shinjobi posted:

Stephen King tried to warn us. It's all real.

God DAMMIT bony butt toucher!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

where the monster factory

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MechaSeinfeld posted:

where the monster factory
in case this is a genuine question
https://twitter.com/merrittk/status/1449898076357922822

e: https://twitter.com/merrittk/status/1449899894689382405

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

quote:

the person looked too real

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

It was a genuine question. the answer is unbeliavle lol

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

that's me :(

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

when they made fun of jim jelly for failing in front of his wife and kids I was beyond upset, as they were figuratively pointing their finger and laughing at me, a gigantic man with incredible grip strength and a family who hates him.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Todays episode started pretty great and fizzled out riiiight at the money zone. Hope to get some award show nonsense in 90 days.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

It's really sad to me that the McElroy content that I enjoyed has been steadily falling away as they move more and more focus onto the stuff that I don't care about. I'm genuinely happy for the people that enjoy TAZ and the last hundred episodes or so of Mbmbam but I'm just not interested in where they're heading. I'm glad Polygon still has all their old, good stuff up but I've watched all those videos a half dozen times or more. I hope that as their kids get older and the global plague (hopefully) dies down before the next apocalypse kicks off that they can find a way to bring in some new energy or different projects to mix things up a bit.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

CainsDescendant posted:

It's really sad to me that the McElroy content that I enjoyed has been steadily falling away as they move more and more focus onto the stuff that I don't care about. I'm genuinely happy for the people that enjoy TAZ and the last hundred episodes or so of Mbmbam but I'm just not interested in where they're heading. I'm glad Polygon still has all their old, good stuff up but I've watched all those videos a half dozen times or more. I hope that as their kids get older and the global plague (hopefully) dies down before the next apocalypse kicks off that they can find a way to bring in some new energy or different projects to mix things up a bit.

This is actually a fairly measured perspective, but every time I read one of these types of posts, all I can think of is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcJNsoY50E

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah that's fair

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
sending Justin a ten paragraph PM about how you think the latest Monster Factory was transphobic or racist because the character they made had pursed lips or comically weak arms or a silly gait or a big forehead or whatever is just about the most “contemporary MaxFun fan” thing I can think of

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
that said, I absolutely also respect his logic for winding down the monster factory eps, because there really are only so many ways to make a character look silly with very limited editor/creator tools before it can easily start veering into “lol this looks like an ugly drag queen”

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ok but if you by accident make content that's bad you can edit it out and try again. videos don't have to "veer" anywhere that you, the creator, are not ok with

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

ok but if you by accident make content that's bad you can edit it out and try again. videos don't have to "veer" anywhere that you, the creator, are not ok with

sure, but also I’m going to take their word (“they” being the creators of Monster Factory who made and recorded and released all of the eps, and have firsthand experience making Monster Factory for profit and clout) over yours (“you” being somebody who did not work on Monster Factory and does not have firsthand experience with the creation of that specific product)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not saying that it's like, insane to stop producing the show because the content has gotten stale or whatever(or run out of good game candidates etc etc), I'm saying the (different)given reasons for stopping monster factory are pretty wack

in the games that do make for good monster factories it is in fact pretty easy to make bonkers looking characters that don't look like. some sort of harmful stereotype

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if what Justin said was at least partially a reason they decided to end it there, but wasn't the whole story. Everytime they talked about Monster Factory the first time it ended and while they were doing the newer episodes, they said it was like pulling teeth to find games that could work and then to get anything funny out of it.

It's unfortunately a format that depends on outside sources for material, and can just run out eventually. I think they may have just been glad for a reason to say they were officially done with it that didn't sound like they were being lazy or something.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They experimented with not worrying about character creation by playing that woodworking game (and then backed into building a character anyway). Shame they didn’t do more of that. Whether you call it Monster Factory or not, it’s always been fun watching the two of them just play weird games together.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I don't know, man. the idea that Monster Factory wanders into the territory of prejudice strikes me as more prejudicial than the thing it's attempting to criticize.

it's not that people couldn't or wouldn't do that, but these dudes wouldn't, and it becomes a game of chasing down things that could be interpreted as problematic. bingo for offensive stereotypes, played by people who think they're doing good in the world by interpreting things in bad faith through a hateful lens.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Give Monster Factory to Travis and Clint for a while. See what happens.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

it's not that people couldn't or wouldn't do that, but these dudes wouldn't, and it becomes a game of chasing down things that could be interpreted as problematic. bingo for offensive stereotypes, played by people who think they're doing good in the world by interpreting things in bad faith through a hateful lens.

yes, it is made by the McElroy Brothers

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes, it is made by the McElroy Brothers

lol

rollick posted:

lol

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I am like 99% sure that they just got bored of it and ran out of good game options that could be wacky enough, and having to deal with worrying about their stuff offending people is just the excuse they needed to phase it out.

I wanted them to play more CK3, that would have been funny! :mad: I just want to watch them goof around in games

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea I really wanted to see the part 2 of that. Honestly yea I agree, I would be just happy with Griffin Justin game goofs time.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
This is overly speculating about famous people's personal lives, but it could also be that games are their main hobby and stress relief, and they got tired of monetizing that. Hearing how they talk about finding time to play a game while raising kids makes me think that stressing themselves over how to keep Monster Factory going may have just gotten to be too much.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
If there’s no Elden Ring monster factory I’m starting a riot

Also Travis/Clint MF would just be nonstop doctor who and supernatural references, so it’s better to kill it than let that happen.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A crossover 30 minute thing with MBMBaM and Maximum Film just went up; at the very least, it sounds like everyone is having a good time.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Shinjobi posted:

A crossover 30 minute thing with MBMBaM and Maximum Film just went up; at the very least, it sounds like everyone is having a good time.
Maximum Film doesn't quite hit the same without April Wolfe and Ricky Carmona, but it's a nice listen as far as movie podcasts go. Looking forward to their chill McElroy hang

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
how was Baby King making fun of a 'real person' in any shape or form? Even if you want to argue the european royals were real they're dead aristocrats who gives a single gently caress?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think the idea is that it looked too close to a hypothetical real person and making fun of him is like making fun of someone with similar disabilities or something. I don’t know, it’s tough to occupy the headspace of someone who thinks like that

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

rollick posted:

Slaps that soyface slider way up to 15

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I look hosed up, I permit them to just recreate my exact face and tease me mercilessly

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
[audience abuse comedian]

Woof! Look at this guy's face. Someone's been messing with your sliders for sure, pal. Walking around looking like that, you're gonna get someone's YouTube channel demonetized.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I want to buy a beer for whoever at iHeartRadio put MBMBAM into the category for Best Ad Reads, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Also how hosed up is it that podcasts have an award category for ad reads

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I want to buy a beer for whoever at iHeartRadio put MBMBAM into the category for Best Ad Reads, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Also how hosed up is it that podcasts have an award category for ad reads

in a previous year they put hollywood handbook up

which, if you've ever heard HH, had to be some kind of joke

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

eke out posted:

in a previous year they put hollywood handbook up

which, if you've ever heard HH, had to be some kind of joke

Not sure what you're talking about, I love my Brilliant Earth Funky Factables.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SpacePig posted:

Not sure what you're talking about, I love my Brilliant Earth Funky Factables.

they are the rare podcast where fans actively re-post the ads lol https://soundcloud.com/james-draper-4/hollywood-handbook-brilliant-earth-ad

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

This is overly speculating about famous people's personal lives, but it could also be that games are their main hobby and stress relief, and they got tired of monetizing that.

Not really, Justin hates video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Empty Sandwich posted:

[audience abuse comedian]

Woof! Look at this guy's face. Someone's been messing with your sliders for sure, pal. Walking around looking like that, you're gonna get someone's YouTube channel demonetized.

I told someone in the army that they looked like someone clicked random on their face generator.