Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Then in 2009 he bought bitcoin, and he was a great man. Greater than Hwang Dong-hyuk, who made very little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if you bought bitcoin in 2009 the odds that you still had access it in 2013 let alone today are very very small

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1450153169208610829

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh me? I'm a year round picker. I pick vegetables all year round. 52 weeks a year, I pick vegetables. Spring, summer, fall, and winter.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
really wish we had more corvée systems so that journalists had to spend part of their time every harvest picking vegetables for a month if only to spare us from such lovely takes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

this show generates some phenomenal content :distonk:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Oh me? I'm a year round picker. I pick vegetables all year round. 52 weeks a year, I pick vegetables. Spring, summer, fall, and winter.

these jobs absolutely depend on a large pool of desperate unemployed for exactly this reason, yeah

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
how does a show on Netflix “generate revenue” anyway

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

30.5 Days posted:

Sometimes in January I go out and put some potatoes in the ground, just so I can dig them right up again. Don't get paid for it, but I'm not a quitter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

The budget for the show was $21.4 million, but they expect to make $891 million in "impact value." That metric describes the perceived amount of new subscribers that the show will convince to join the streaming service, effectively earning back 40 times what they spent on the series.

magic, and/or guesswork

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Centrist Committee posted:

I suppose when someone gets a new Netflix subscription and immediately watches a specific show, they give it credit for some of that revenue.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah if you're any sort of wage earner then basically none of your transactions are "voluntary".
e: think it through, what happens if you stop making any of those transactions?
stop paying rent/mortgage: ok you're homeless
stop paying for prescription medications: ok you're sick/dead
stop paying for car note/gasoline etc: ok no car, lose job, no income, everything falls down

they don't necessarily teach you a lot of useful stuff in Poli Sci, but they come out and say "the basis of our society is the state's monopoly on violence." like people who think social workers aren't violent have never dealt with one. they don't seem to acknowledge this. and so people think that transferring poor and minority kids en masse to foster homes run by people who aspire to be middle class is somehow something they could just do if there wasn't the threat of violence behind it. nah, social workers are cops, and while child abuse is real, it no more justifies social work as it actually is than murders justify cops and prisons. also the higher ups keep getting outed as pedos for some reason.

in canada, the roots of this are all explicitly religious if you look at the history of how they were created. they're actually missionaries and the cops crusaders. except people sometimes listened to missionaries voluntarily at first.

e: the biggest joke is they all read Foucault here in school, but he's too obscurationist I guess for the lesson that they're the problem and continuing to train to be social workers is literally signing up to carry water for the problems they want to solve by being social workers to hit home.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 02:38 on Oct 19, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

either by getting new people to sign up or by getting current subscribers to not unsubscribe

aside from the capitalist need to constantly expand, Netflix doesn't really need to generate new revenue. as of July it had 209 million subscribers, which means it's raking in, I dunno, like $2 billion a month just for existing and maintaining its content library. when you hear "squid game cost $25 million to make" it sounds like a lot until you realize netflix makes that amount of money in subscription income in something like 9 hours. same for something like "netflix spent $500 million to buy the rights to Seinfeld", like yeah that's a ton of money but also it's one week of revenue for Netflix and if that's what makes 2% of their current existing customer base decide not to cancel their subscription this month then they turn a profit on that deal

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

This is not the point but how has Squid Game created $900m in value? Netflix shows are free to subscribers, how can they possibly quantify subs gained or retained due to specific shows?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Netflix probably have a pretty good idea based on viewership actually, idk if they publish specific information like that though

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This is not the point but how has Squid Game created $900m in value? Netflix shows are free to subscribers, how can they possibly quantify subs gained or retained due to specific shows?

vyelkin posted:

either by getting new people to sign up or by getting current subscribers to not unsubscribe

aside from the capitalist need to constantly expand, Netflix doesn't really need to generate new revenue. as of July it had 209 million subscribers, which means it's raking in, I dunno, like $2 billion a month just for existing and maintaining its content library. when you hear "squid game cost $25 million to make" it sounds like a lot until you realize netflix makes that amount of money in subscription income in something like 9 hours. same for something like "netflix spent $500 million to buy the rights to Seinfeld", like yeah that's a ton of money but also it's one week of revenue for Netflix and if that's what makes 2% of their current existing customer base decide not to cancel their subscription this month then they turn a profit on that deal

makes sense too me

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Flesh Forge posted:

Netflix probably have a pretty good idea based on viewership actually, idk if they publish specific information like that though

IIRC there were some leaked internal metrics that sounded fudgy as hell. Like they didnt differentiate between watching for 5 minutes or watching whole episodes. Sort of reminiscent of facebook pivot-to-video nonsense.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
It's a bullshit inflated number pulled out of some execs rear end (possibly through the means of bullshit data or ML lies) to make Netflix look good

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flesh Forge posted:

but even so, unless netflix got 900 million in new subscribers then squid game didn't create that much value.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh no that bitcoin guy is pulling numbers straight out of his butthole yeah

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HootTheOwl posted:

but even so, unless netflix got 900 million in new subscribers then squid game didn't create that much value.
Someone staying subscribed would be worth just as much, as someone already mentioned.

That said, how they measure seems does seem real dodgy if just watching a little bit counts the same as watching a whole episode. Of course how you treat that data after matters a lot too. If they differentiated properly based on whether people actually completed an episode/season/show, you could probably do some pretty solid statistics on the group that watched Squid Game and determine how many would've been expected to unsubscribe vs. how many actually did, and then count the difference as increased revenue. The issue with that it is that the baseline includes new shows being added and people not unsubscribing due to that, which means what you've determined (statistically to a high degree of certainty) is performance over the average, rather than actual performance. A detail you could use to justify a wide variety of retention metrics, from the somewhat sensible and conservative "baseline based on peak unsubscribe period" to "Literally just fantasy to make your boss's bosses seem like big geniuses who should give him a raise".

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I remember reading that Netflix internally emphasizes getting new signups over maintaining existing ones because it’s hard to measure why people stay anyway and growth looks better even if there’s turnover. the idea is they’d rather gain two subscribers and lose one than gain one and lose zero because they can say they gained more new subscribers. eventually I suppose everyone possibly reachable will have been reached and they’ll have to branch out into human cloning in order to maintain constant growth in their subscriber base

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It seems more that they're trying to appeal to investors by saying we just had a show that generated 900 million dollars :smug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Radar posted:

eventually I suppose everyone possibly reachable will have been reached and they’ll have to branch out into human cloning in order to maintain constant growth in their subscriber base

this is called the tendency for the rate of profit to fall

they're liable to start trying some schemes to attack account sharing

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/punishedpius/status/1433152983286652935?s=21

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Clear satire of Powell hagiography and war criminal hagiography in general.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

Does Hell have Saints? An interesting theological question OR a decent anime premise if executed well.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Clear satire of Powell hagiography and war criminal hagiography in general.

I have terrible news

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

I have terrible news
Clear satire

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
see one problem with christian theology is that i dont think i want to hang out with rudolf hoss in heaven

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

Does Hell have Saints? An interesting theological question OR a decent anime premise if executed well.

if you repent before death you don’t go to hell so he’s fine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A deathbed confession does not a saint make.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"you still get to go to heaven as long as you seek forgiveness at the bottom of the ninth" isn't really a Catholic thing. That guy isn't even fuckin' saved, much less sainted.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

idk about netflix but crunchy roll has licensing agreements like "this person paid us $100 to stream shows, half the time he was watching your show, and your revenue share is 50%, so you get $25"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vyelkin posted:

see one problem with christian theology is that i dont think i want to hang out with rudolf hoss in heaven

[Hatuey], thinking a little, asked the religious man if Spaniards went to heaven. The religious man answered yes... The chief then said without further thought that he did not want to go there but to hell so as not to be where they were and where he would not see such cruel people.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I don't want to belong to any Heaven that will have me as a member.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

gradenko_2000 posted:

"you still get to go to heaven as long as you seek forgiveness at the bottom of the ninth" isn't really a Catholic thing. That guy isn't even fuckin' saved, much less sainted.

our pop understanding of christianity kind of sucks. like one thing we don't get is that selling your soul to the devil for magic power is a minor offense outside of inquisition style poo poo. you can get out of that prettymuch anytime by repenting, especially if you're like faust and no one is actually hurt and you just use it to learn. but to repent anything, you need to sincerely be willing to give up whatever you got out of sinning. this is a huge plot point in hamlet. so once it's all been taken from you, you gotta keep in mind that god's supposed to listen to the voices of the dead condemning one and you have to convince that dude your repentance is sincere enough to meet the demands of your crimes against what, seven million innocent people? humans aren't fit to say someone's repentance is sincere enough under those circumstances. it's safer to assume no, that guy's in hell.

(this is inference but i think god lets you keep knowledge and certainly share it because it benefits humanity even if it was told to you by a demon. this makes sense in the context of the development of science and the hopeful but somewhat ambivalent reaction to it).

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 13:55 on Oct 19, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

yes it absolutely is

Platystemon posted:

A deathbed confession does not a saint make.

everyone who is in heaven is a saint and if he genuinely repented before death he’s in heaven ergo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

indigi posted:

yes it absolutely is

everyone who is in heaven is a saint and if he genuinely repented before death he’s in heaven ergo

for catholics there's a whole process to declare a saint and it's kind of bs a lot of the time but it's a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

god's supposed to listen to the voices of the dead condemning one and you have to convince that dude your repentance is sincere enough to meet the demands of your crimes against what, seven million innocent people? humans aren't fit to say someone's repentance is sincere enough under those circumstances.

lol none of this has anything to do with Roman Catholic doctrine. grace isn’t dependent on the feelings of the dead, it’s a personal gift from god to a sinner