Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly if Stars and Stripes turned Shigaraki's bones into cookies I certainly wouldn't complain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Can't wait for the next villain that's a Luchador whose quirk is a tiny hype man named James that powers him up by cheering

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also honestly while MHA has been good at a lot of points it's never been better than peak Bleach

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Can't wait for the next villain that's a Luchador whose quirk is a tiny hype man named James that powers him up by cheering

gentle?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also honestly while MHA has been good at a lot of points it's never been better than peak Bleach

Hey Renji, guess what you've been using a fake nerfed version of your power this whole time because your sword, crafted from a piece of your own soul, gave you a fake name because it thought you were a loser.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

christmas boots posted:

That's Labrava's quirk!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Hey Renji, guess what you've been using a fake nerfed version of your power this whole time because your sword, crafted from a piece of your own soul, gave you a fake name because it thought you were a loser.

I said peak Bleach

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Bleach had a peak? :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TheKingofSprings posted:

I said peak Bleach

Bleach peaked twice imo and in vastly different ways.

Kild posted:

That's Labrava's quirk!

lmao that sneaky son of a bitch he got me again!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

To be fair, it was right.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, that's why it owned

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly if Stars and Stripes turned Shigaraki's bones into cookies I certainly wouldn't complain

Thinking of this makes me think about how weird it is that she opened the fight with ludicrously lethal instant kill attempts(tossing him into a hard vacuum, having a bunch of fighters shoot giant lasers at him) but when she caught him dead to rights she gave him a pretty tame "don't move" condition like she was trying to bring him into custody instead of "Tomura Shigaraki's skin will ignite on contact with oxygen" or something equally horrific.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Look you can't become the #1 hero without a good sense of dramatics. Seriously actually, looking cool is a literal requirement because it's a popularity contest. And it did look really cool! Until it didn't work. I have to imagine that one of her limits is that changing reality for another person is much weaker so she has to do conditionals/touch them/use their TRUE NAME etc.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, there's got to be some kind of tradeoff. Like maybe it takes energy to maintain or something, or the more her rule warps reality the harder it is to keep it up which is why her maximum doesn't peak at All Might levels or something.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Sorry for starting a bleach derail.

GimmickMan posted:

Yeah soul society was really good until Aizens turn. After that the lackluster world building really kept it from going anywhere interesting.

On topic: I do like the idea that it’s limited by her imagination and that because it would just be emulating all might, she isn’t actually able to achieve that level of power, just a portion of it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Stars and Stripes will erase Shigaraki/AfO from existence and then America takes over as the final arc villain.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

GimmickMan posted:

it's coming back at the end of this year!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

JahRoo posted:

Sorry for starting a bleach derail.

Yeah soul society was really good until Aizens turn. After that the lackluster world building really kept it from going anywhere interesting.

On topic: I do like the idea that it’s limited by her imagination and that because it would just be emulating all might, she isn’t actually able to achieve that level of power, just a portion of it.

That could be interesting since that was something All Might very much wanted Deku to avoid and ultimately the birth of Shoot Style.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Stars and Stripes will erase Shigaraki/AfO from existence and then America takes over as the final arc villain.

Always has been astronaut meme dot png

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kanos posted:

Thinking of this makes me think about how weird it is that she opened the fight with ludicrously lethal instant kill attempts(tossing him into a hard vacuum, having a bunch of fighters shoot giant lasers at him) but when she caught him dead to rights she gave him a pretty tame "don't move" condition like she was trying to bring him into custody instead of "Tomura Shigaraki's skin will ignite on contact with oxygen" or something equally horrific.

To be fair, if she knows about All for One and her team knows about Shiggy, she probably knows that he's extremely hard to kill.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arist posted:

Always has been astronaut meme dot png

Implying it isn't a deep baked jpg with every shared site waterkmark known to humankind

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Peak Bleach was that one page where it turned out Toshiro stabbed Momo instead of Aizen.

Nothing before or after that was anywhere near as amazing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GimmickMan posted:

Yeah when it was goofus townies fightin ghosts and it looked like al lof Ichigo's friends were gonna get weirdo powers to help fight ghosts and then the Soul Society showed up and every good idea and bit of tone and style flew out the window for Ghost Feudal Japan and The New Shittier Cast.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

Peak Bleach was that one page where it turned out Toshiro stabbed Momo instead of Aizen.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Funky Valentine posted:

With a few other captains going to town on her while Ichigo watched.

E: Or are you talking about the first time she got stabbed?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

christmas boots posted:

lmao that sneaky son of a bitch he got me again!

This just means Gentle needs to come back.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I assume the point of this scene, no matter the details of how it plays out, will be to establish that the cavalry isn't coming to bail Japan out. We already got a bit of that with the various world leaders talking about how their respective countries are being hamstrung by villains timed to take advantage of AFO's return, so having one character embody the idea of foreign intervention fail to contain Shigaraki is a way to clear the field of any other potential save-the-world solution apart from Deku. Given that's what we could have assumed from the start and there's not a lot of ways to surprise us, it's not the most exciting turn of events.

Points like whether Stars and Stripes loses her quirk, gets away, or does damage to Shigaraki that pushes the doomsday clock back to give Deku more breathing room, are probably secondary to that overall goal but could at least help the scene land a little better.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I actually like Stars and Stripes having a ludicrous power like this, the top hero in a global superpower of 320-odd million people should be pretty ridiculous and it's cool that she's OP in a way other than "punches really hard." Plus she can kind of do All For One's thing right back at him, which on paper is an interesting idea for a fight and contrasts well with the Kamino slugfest. My main reservations are that she's coming in so late in the story she almost might as well not be here.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dolash posted:

I assume the point of this scene, no matter the details of how it plays out, will be to establish that the cavalry isn't coming to bail Japan out. We already got a bit of that with the various world leaders talking about how their respective countries are being hamstrung by villains timed to take advantage of AFO's return, so having one character embody the idea of foreign intervention fail to contain Shigaraki is a way to clear the field of any other potential save-the-world solution apart from Deku. Given that's what we could have assumed from the start and there's not a lot of ways to surprise us, it's not the most exciting turn of events.

I can see that but we already kind of hit all these notes at this point. Most of japan looks like an SMT storyline started up a few months ago, the Greatest Hero Who Ever Lived has already been long lost, the combined forces of all the other heroes has come and went mostly barely buying time for themselves and losing most of their number along the way. It feels pointless to add in yet another layer of "They're hosed."

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Look this is the story of how Deku becomes the greatest hero not the greatest hero in Japan

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kild posted:

Look this is the story of how Deku becomes the greatest hero not the greatest hero in Japan

Are you suggesting that Star and Stripe eats Deku's DNA and he returns the favor?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

After saving Japan from All For One, Izuku goes to Europe to overthrow Doctor Doom.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Izuku gathering all the infinity stones to breach into other universes to become the greatest hero ever.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Into the Deku-verse

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
where Deku symbiote suit!??

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

christmas boots posted:

Finally, Meatball Kid's time to shine

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kild posted:

Excuse you it's the story of how everyone became the greatest hero, in horikoshi's own words

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

if AfO absorbs/dusts everyone in the world technically he'd be the world's greatest hero too

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

christmas boots posted:

Speaking of which, didn't he have a weird Venom form during the fight with Shiggy that hasn't shown up since? Was that one of the other people's Quirks? Or was that just Black Whip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Speaking of which, didn't he have a weird Venom form during the fight with Shiggy that hasn't shown up since? Was that one of the other people's Quirks? Or was that just Black Whip?

I think that was Deku using Blackwhip to hold his broken bones in place like he was using the Berserk armor, which is metal af