Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Wait individuals have to pay for war?

I think caustic was referring to the gold you earn for taking part in a war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Just watched a video about housing which I was super excited about.
From what I took away from it, if I play super casually then essentially it will just drain all my money until I have none left, then I won't be able to use the useful features of having a house anymore?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What incredible realism! It's just like real home ownership.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

peter gabriel posted:

From what I took away from it, if I play super casually then essentially it will just drain all my money until I have none left, then I won't be able to use the useful features of having a house anymore?

T1 houses are 2500 for first time buyers, 250 first week, 500 after that. I'm playing super casually and that feels pretty doable. If I bought one today and didn't make any gold until new years I could still afford it. Just don't buy it the second its available to you. Main quest seems to give a ton of gold/exp/azoth

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

peter gabriel posted:

If you buy one of the smaller houses you should be fine. I got one of the ones in EF that was not the cheapest but on the cheaper side - I forget the exact price. The taxes are only like 270 per 5 days with a local tax rate at 5.6%. I take the property tax town card at every opportunity I can get. The only thing that could potentially make this painful is a spiteful city owner maxing our property taxes, which seems unlikely because I think absolutely no one would pay.

The initial buzz around housing was “minmax your first ownership purchase discount and buy the most expensive house” which seems absolutely wrong when you consider taxes.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

BadLlama posted:

My hobo shack in weevers fen is on display because no one else has put anything in theirs lol

I think doing town board quests has a huge effect on whether you win the housing scoreboard: I got up to ~25k points in Brightwood while leveling, but since I stopped doing town board quests there my score has fallen to 2k. There's frequently someone with their house on display in busy towns who just has a luck trophy on a wall and nothing else:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

causticBeet posted:

The initial buzz around housing was “minmax your first ownership purchase discount and buy the most expensive house” which seems absolutely wrong when you consider taxes.

I was working towards this on the assumption that larger houses could hold more trophies, but when I learned this was not the case, got me thinking I'll go for the mid-house instead.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Thanks for the house tips dudes, I think I have no idea yet on how much gold is worth / how easy is it to get. I have like 1200 gold total at the moment but have been crafting all my poo poo to make number go higher on skills. Maybe if I start selling poo poo that will change?
Like 1200 gold in original WoW was a fortune, but in retail now it's chump change, I don't know what a gold is yet in NW, if you get my drift?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Are there company houses? Shared company storage? What are the pros/cons of a 5 man company?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

peter gabriel posted:

Thanks for the house tips dudes, I think I have no idea yet on how much gold is worth / how easy is it to get. I have like 1200 gold total at the moment but have been crafting all my poo poo to make number go higher on skills. Maybe if I start selling poo poo that will change?
Like 1200 gold in original WoW was a fortune, but in retail now it's chump change, I don't know what a gold is yet in NW, if you get my drift?

If you don't care about the bonuses, just don't pay the taxes. That's how I roll.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Flavahbeast posted:

I think doing town board quests has a huge effect on whether you win the housing scoreboard: I got up to ~25k points in Brightwood while leveling, but since I stopped doing town board quests there my score has fallen to 2k. There's frequently someone with their house on display in busy towns who just has a luck trophy on a wall and nothing else:

interesting, i think it's bugged as hell because my points went from 45k to 14k for no apparent reason (i do town board quests every time i'm on, and only do them in windsward, where my house is), and then when it updated again i was at 55k. no decorations in my house changed at all.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

cosmicjim posted:

Are there company houses? Shared company storage? What are the pros/cons of a 5 man company?

unfortunately the only feature like this is the guild bank, which is coin only, that everyone can deposit to, and anyone officer or above can withdrawal from.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Ad by Khad posted:

it's a little disingenuous to be talking about forced hardcore full-loot pvp and then mention albion, a game where most of its players never leave blue/yellow zones

the pvp is pretty optional in both games, imagine that

you do know that it's a free to play game, and that the vast majority of people who stay exclusively in blue/yellow are bots, right?

insanely disingenuous

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Gone Fashing posted:

interesting, i think it's bugged as hell because my points went from 45k to 14k for no apparent reason (i do town board quests every time i'm on, and only do them in windsward, where my house is), and then when it updated again i was at 55k. no decorations in my house changed at all.

It's recalculated every 48 hours and only takes into account territory standing earned during that period. It's ridiculous. My housing score is just under 600k right now but since I'm about to hit 60 and stop doing town boards it'll probably plummet.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Pussy Snorkel posted:

It's recalculated every 48 hours and only takes into account territory standing earned during that period. It's ridiculous. My housing score is just under 600k right now but since I'm about to hit 60 and stop doing town boards it'll probably plummet.

oh i didn't realize it factored territory standing in. that's stupid. dropping from #1 to #19 and then back up to #2 made me completely uninterested in it anymore, lol

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Gone Fashing posted:

oh i didn't realize it factored territory standing in. that's stupid. dropping from #1 to #19 and then back up to #2 made me completely uninterested in it anymore, lol

Yeah, exactly. My house score is just shy of 900 before territory standing is taken into account. Honestly, I feel like just checking for activity in the last 48 hours (take a break from the game and your house doesn't need to be displayed imo) and then just scoring that normal, calculable number would have been fine. Taking standing into account is just a weird metric.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

idiotsavant posted:

That’s old exploit meta. New exploit meta is to play windowed and drag the window around while you’re standing on point, rendering yourself invincible until you stop. New new is to do it with a hatchet because the extra life passive never triggers so you’re invincible until you stop and even then you come straight back to life when the damage is assessed

lol this game is so well made with no issues at all.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

There's a gameplan when developing any GaaS that at some point you move on from making content for "everyone" (shooting for as much engagement among your DAUs as possible, all are welcome) to content for just certain groups. This is where high end raids come in. You're looking to increase your engagement tail by making end game content.

Then there's a phase after THAT where you make more niche stuff. This is where pet battles come in. Chocobo racing. You've made everything else under the sun and you still need those sweet sweet DAUs, so what else ya got?

There's a world where we get a cool Dark Zone pvp only zone, and I think given the game's health it's probably inevitable. But it won't be any time soon. Probably not within years. They're still deep into the "content has to be for everyone" phase.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

sure okay posted:

They're still deep into the "content has be only for pve players and in no way can any other content inconvenience them in any manner" phase.

just waiting for when everyone against pvp start crying about their towns and taxes being tied to pvp and how it isn't fair to them and how they are forced to pay taxes because of pvp.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BadLlama posted:

just waiting for when everyone against pvp start crying about their towns and taxes being tied to pvp and how it isn't fair to them and how they are forced to pay taxes because of pvp.

And another domino falls on Bezo's table.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol that one of the servers time travelled 30 days and everyone lost their poo poo

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

BadLlama posted:

some friends set their EF to 20% property tax and the crying has been real good. real good.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Lol that the devs coded this game to be client authoritative which possibly makes way for game breaking exploits and hacks

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Ad by Khad posted:

some friends set their EF to 20% property tax and the crying has been real good. real good.

Syndicate did this in Brightwood on my server, the tears flowed. I just know when Covenant take Monarch's from us again they'll return the favour.

Willeh posted:

Lol that the devs coded this game to be client authoritative which possibly makes way for game breaking exploits and hacks

How stupid is this? The reason they could never stop warping and such in EQ was trusting the client too much, did AGS not research how these things had been done in the past?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fanelien posted:

How stupid is this? The reason they could never stop warping and such in EQ was trusting the client too much, did AGS not research?

That is correct.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I've only seen a few claims of teleporting which sounded more like lag. EAC seems to be slapped on just because someone demanded it, as lumberyard is supposed to be quite server authoritative. Some dingdong just coded buffs, or that specific buff, wrong.

Entire game feels like it was coded by non-gamers or at least people who have never touched an MMO and don't have the barest whiff of an understanding towards what things the playerbase are asking to be fixed or why some other stuff is way out of whack, but I do trust that they put a little effort against making a client authoritative mess.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Remember that this issue had already cropped up two months ago after the closed beta. On the subject of item duping being relatively easy because the servers trusted the client. It legit makes me laugh this is an issue at this point in time when you have games like world of warships and tanks that has people calling people hackers all the time. Only, it is because of stupid mechanics as the servers do not trust anything from the client. Let alone any other mmo. Maybe all this client trust would be fine if they had made the game a stream only game on whatever amazon's name for their version of stadia is called.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Ranzear posted:

I've only seen a few claims of teleporting which sounded more like lag. EAC seems to be slapped on just because someone demanded it, as lumberyard is supposed to be quite server authoritative. Some dingdong just coded buffs, or that specific buff, wrong.

Any time I see a client side anticheat I already expect the worst, because it's always a lovely last minute slap on bandaid.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

eonwe posted:

lol that one of the servers time travelled 30 days and everyone lost their poo poo

this happened on Royllo too, I got the 360 and 720 hour achievements instantly because I was online when time moved forward a month

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the end boss of invasions is pretty wild

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1450126826467176448?s=20

https://twitter.com/Kruuexe/status/1450130232174944263?s=20

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
we did have the 20 day timejump on royllo but it only caused cities to lose 2 invasions worth of upgrades rather than absolutely everything

we're kinda just now getting to the point where the damage from that is fixed and it's been several days, also it set us back at least 100k coin

the hacks in this game are real fuckin bad but fortunately royllo has been pretty chill and avoided them, people here don't even cheat our invasions let alone wars

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 19, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flavahbeast posted:

Woah that poo poo looks good

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

Laser mechs? On my enchanted island?

It's more likely than you think.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Flavahbeast posted:

SILENCE, FORT

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It looks cool but they kinda ripped it off from 20th Century Boys manga.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

sure okay posted:

There's a gameplan when developing any GaaS that at some point you move on from making content for "everyone" (shooting for as much engagement among your DAUs as possible, all are welcome) to content for just certain groups. This is where high end raids come in. You're looking to increase your engagement tail by making end game content.

Then there's a phase after THAT where you make more niche stuff. This is where pet battles come in. Chocobo racing. You've made everything else under the sun and you still need those sweet sweet DAUs, so what else ya got?

There's a world where we get a cool Dark Zone pvp only zone, and I think given the game's health it's probably inevitable. But it won't be any time soon. Probably not within years. They're still deep into the "content has to be for everyone" phase.

I disagree. I think a forced faction PvP zone isn't as far away as people might think.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

That Works posted:

It looks cool but they kinda ripped it off from 20th Century Boys manga.

It’s true your anime invented glowing eyes

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

CuddleCryptid posted:

SILENCE, FORT

new thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Comrayn posted:

It’s true your anime invented glowing eyes

Seriously what a stretch. Definitely haven’t seen a 5-story walking lazer robot in basically every other western sci-fi movie of the last 60 years 😅