Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

I was checking on this situation, and Mac gaming seems to be in much worse shape than it was 5 or 10 years ago. If you go back, all of the Valve and Blizzard games were launching on Macs too, and a good number of other bigger budget games.

Now not only does big stuff not land on Macs, but games that used to work on Mac no longer do. Team Fortress 2 and left 4 dead lost Mac support and won't run anymore. Guild Wars 2 dropped their Mac client this year, which had been working well since launch. Freaking Rocket League lost Mac support, and that is the perfect kind of broadly appealing game that should be succeeding here.

Those multiplatform games used OpenGL for their Mac ports, and that hasn't been updated on Macs since 2013 and was officially deprecated in 2018. Apple has the Metal api these days and that the only one they'll support, RIP to other games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

incoherent posted:

I'm not going to fuckin lie: Imma gonna spend 20 bucks on a cloth. These screens just pick up everything. I always thought people were disgusting pigs when I had to handle a MacBook with its screen off.

Then I bought one.

Yo, they sell microfiber cloths at the dollar store. They are $1. I use them on my car too.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Data Graham posted:

Going by the performance comparison bar-graph thingys for various applications on the marketing site, it sorta feels like the M1 Pro would do just fine for almost everything I do (mostly developing, not a lot of GPU-heavy stuff), and the Max has exactly the same numbers for the CPU comparisons as the Pro — the only benefits you get with the Max are in GPU performance. Am I reading that right?

Memory bandwidth is 400 vs 200 GB/s. Which will have benefits even for single threaded workloads.
Just another angle to think about.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was buying $200 of iTunes gift cards and the Apple store person asked me like 5 times if I was using it to pay the IRS. I guess those scams are still happening. Good on them for trying to prevent that poo poo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The M1 Max and M1 Pro announcements just makes me want to wait even longer for the M1 Pro chip to be put into a Mac Mini or a 27" iMac.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mu Zeta posted:

I was buying $200 of iTunes gift cards and the Apple store person asked me like 5 times if I was using it to pay the IRS. I guess those scams are still happening. Good on them for trying to prevent that poo poo.

I did this recently for an iDevice (it can be lucrative with the right bonus categories on your credit card) for a family member, although beware: seems like if the balance on your account changes between placing the order and processing it, Apple Accounting may do some weird stuff.

In this case, looks like maybe a 0.99 charge to that Apple account in between threw it off and so Apple charged the full amount to the credit card. I am not hopeful that Apple will fix that.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

abelwingnut posted:

i'm not trying to be rude here, but who needs this much power? i'm fascinated by the technology, sure, but what kinds of programs require this kind of power? 3d modeling/advanced graphics, i get. but do people do those on laptops? what other use cases are there?

So 60% of my job is boring web based office poo poo, Sharepoint, email, etc. The other 40% is working with / reviewing motion graphic files, video edits, large .psd's or reviewing large production graphics in AE, Premiere, DVnci, Illustrator, Photoshop, or InDesign.

We do exist.

e; it's really 60/40 - it shouldn't be, but it is

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 19, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This plus the ports and huge ESC key tells me the Jony Ive era at Apple is officially over

You mean the era that started in 1997? :allears:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I still can't quite believe I'm getting a new location machine that gets better battery life, at the same time better performance, and a much better display, and charges to 50% in 30mins.

Like, I could've expected one of those upgrades normally. I think this is huge.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Taima posted:

Just out of curiosity do the apple store people get that discount too or is it corp only

Employee discount is 25% off hardware, 15% off accessories. The limit is usually one item per type per year, though sometimes this is increased or there are special deals (eg: OG HomePod was half price at launch). Once every two years you get an extra $500 discount that stacks. This applies to all employees, from Retail to Cafe Baristas to Software Engineers. We are hiring for lots of roles ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Every employee also has 10 discounts per product they can use for Friends & Family. That's the 15% mentioned. These discounts are renewed every year and cost the employee nothing so if you know someone don't hesitate to take advantage.

As for why some things show up in the Employee + F&F store at launch, some only in Employee, and some take months to show up in both: even the gods know not.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Stuff exists, but it's long been a chicken and egg problem. Why make games for a platform that has no good graphics options? Why demand good GPU options for a platform with no games?

Etc, etc.

Now the baseline is vastly more capable than before, and the top line is a full powered gpu that's equivalent to last generation's top end desktop card.

Mac gaming is a hot mess, I won’t deny that. But the fact that iOS, tvOS, and macOS all now run on the same architecture with the same Metal API means that devs could easily target MacOS.

Will they? I have my doubts, and I’d certainly want to see much more than ported match 3 games, but the opportunity is there, and I’d love to see someone take it.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

abelwingnut posted:

i'm not trying to be rude here, but who needs this much power? i'm fascinated by the technology, sure, but what kinds of programs require this kind of power? 3d modeling/advanced graphics, i get. but do people do those on laptops? what other use cases are there?

I bought a Max 64GB for video editing. I’m curious to see what it’s like but hopefully I can edit 2+ streams of 6K RAW with color/effects easy breezy, even better if the fans don’t have to blast at max speed 100% of the time like with my 2019 16”.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Astro7x posted:

The M1 Max and M1 Pro announcements just makes me want to wait even longer for the M1 Pro chip to be put into a Mac Mini or a 27" iMac.

Yup. Utterly bummed there wasn't a Mini release today. Maybe a soft release before EOY?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Mac gaming is a hot mess, I won’t deny that. But the fact that iOS, tvOS, and macOS all now run on the same architecture with the same Metal API means that devs could easily target MacOS.

Will they? I have my doubts, and I’d certainly want to see much more than ported match 3 games, but the opportunity is there, and I’d love to see someone take it.

They won’t. Mac gaming, like someone said earlier, is going backwards. It’s a pipe dream.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

xgalaxy posted:

Memory bandwidth is 400 vs 200 GB/s. Which will have benefits even for single threaded workloads.
Just another angle to think about.

This is not likely to be important fyi

Don't get me wrong, I'll be pleased if it does turn out to matter, but plain M1 benches at ~36 GB/s write throughput even though its LPDDR4x memory interface should support ~68 GB/s. Memory copies should get slightly faster, but aside from very narrow things like that, M1's single thread performance just wasn't being held back by memory bandwidth.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They won’t. Mac gaming, like someone said earlier, is going backwards. It’s a pipe dream.

It’s going backwards if you’re measuring from like the halcyon days of 1991.

I would argue that Mac gaming is healthier in 2021 than it was in 2011, for all that Valve was arguably putting more investment + effort in the platform at the time.

In 2011 the best recent games that you could get on Mac were either a handful of Valve/source games (the Half Life games, TF2, Portal 1, CSGO, Garrys Mod) or a handful of Blizzard games (WoW, Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Diablo 1+2) and that’s basically it. And Civ and XPlane.

The future seemed bright- here was Steam on Mac, here was Valve officially showing support for the platform, here was Apple and Intel finally putting GPUs with some real grunt in their machines (seriously, the first time I booted TF2 on my Sandy Bridge Air and it ran was like a revelation). Maybe this would turn into something real....

And then Intel’s progress went to poo poo and Apple prioritized their original design language plans and the Trash Can happened and GPU performance on Mac both stagnated and fell behind relative to the PC space again, and with it died all the dreams of AAA gaming.

But meanwhile, a steady stream of massively influential games—albeit games with often low requirements, and from indie developers—have been releasing on Mac, partially thanks to them being on other platforms like iOS and partially thanks to Steam being on Mac, for all that Valve seemed to stop giving a poo poo pretty quickly after bringing it over.

Undertale has been on Mac since the very beginning, Stardew Valley has been on Mac, all of the SuperGiant games from Bastion to Hades have been on Mac, Slay the Spire, Celeste, Dead Cells, Obra Dinn, Baba is You, Among Us, Fortnite—all on Mac.

As of this week, EVE Online has official Mac (and M1) compatibility, and there’s rumors that Warframe will be getting a port a decade after the fact alongside the incoming mobile ports.

I’m not saying that these really compete with the juggernaut FPSs that move billions in microtransactions (altho Fortnite’s been on Mac for like 5+ years now), but it’s honestly a far cry and big improvement from where we were in the 2000s, and only seems to be getting better.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ok the more I research into the M1 max MacBook Pro the more I’m convinced that it might actually be the best overall laptop of all time, I’m fully bought into it whenever next I get a laptop. For now I can only for afford to save up for my upcoming mega tower PC but god drat next time I get a good amount of money I’ll definitely get the MacBook Pro Max

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I just need to see how this thing works with 3D programs and GPU rendering like Octane and I might finally switch to Macs!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I just need to see how this thing works with 3D programs and GPU rendering like Octane and I might finally switch to Macs!

People say that the M1 max is as powerful as the GeForce 2080 ti but I guess we’ll find out when it’s out

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Al-Saqr posted:

People say that the M1 max is as powerful as the GeForce 2080 ti but I guess we’ll find out when it’s out

Yeah and switch to Macs is a bit hyperbole for me. I'd love to have a nice Mac laptop, but I have 3 2080s in my current PC and will upgrade to 3 x 3xxx soon. So I'll likely never be able to switch fully over to Macs.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Yeah and switch to Macs is a bit hyperbole for me. I'd love to have a nice Mac laptop, but I have 3 2080s in my current PC and will upgrade to 3 x 3xxx soon. So I'll likely never be able to switch fully over to Macs.

Lol holy poo poo are you a 3D animator who specializes in rendering fluid dynamics what the gently caress do you need THREE 3080’s for?!?!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Maybe in general, but for something like Octane that leans heavily on RTX acceleration the comparison might not hold up

Apples GPUs don't have any RT acceleration yet AFAIK

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol holy poo poo are you a 3D animator who specializes in rendering fluid dynamics what the gently caress do you need THREE 3080’s for?!?!

playing Battlefield 2042 at 60fps

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Al-Saqr posted:

I am a 3D animator that uses GPU rendering in Octane! We have multiple machine with multiple GPUs and they all operate as a render farm over night too.

Edit: and yes simulations from time to time

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I am a 3D animator that uses GPU rendering in Octane! We have multiple machine with multiple GPUs and they all operate as a render farm over night too.

Edit: and yes simulations from time to time

Ah that makes sense good luck dude you 3D types are loving wizards I once tried getting into 3D animation and it was a nightmare for me. I did enjoy lighting though! I’ll probably end up doing basic model low-poly blender stuff soon though.

I’ll probably be sticking with one 3080 though so please don’t buy too many until I get mine lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I love that this cloth has a compatibility list of approved devices

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I love that this cloth has a compatibility list of approved devices

Don't even think about using it with an iPhone 5

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

repiv posted:

Don't even think about using it with an iPhone 5

you wipe down your old iPod Classic and the screen instantly delaminates, behind the glass

the cloth catches fire in your hand

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ok Comboomer posted:

you wipe down your old iPod Classic and the screen instantly delaminates, behind the glass

the cloth catches fire in your hand

Should’ve gotten AppleCare+ for the cloth

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

an actual dog posted:

Those multiplatform games used OpenGL for their Mac ports, and that hasn't been updated on Macs since 2013 and was officially deprecated in 2018. Apple has the Metal api these days and that the only one they'll support, RIP to other games

There's an open source OpenGL->Vulkan wrapper called Zink that Valve's contributing to (and possibly helping to fund). As MoltenVK was made to effectively give macOS Vulkan support, Zink will hopefully prevent thousands of apps from no longer running whenever Apple finally pulls the plug on OpenGL. That would also have the side benefit of preventing Steam on the Mac from turning into a ghost town, so there's that.

As far as gaming on the platform goes, I'd think the infusion of App Store games would go a long way with casual gamers. Beyond that, it's... iffy where it exists. My 2015 MBP soldiers along through GZDoom and vkQuake, and some of my Steam catalog, but Broadwell's IGP doesn't stretch far. And Thunderbolt 2 is apparently not sufficient to drive an eGPU reliably for non-compute work. It's fine. I'm waiting for a Power9 machine from Raptor Computing. Other than a new UPS some time this week, I've spent enough on hardware this year.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm excited to see how much smoother my Lightroom experience is with the top-spec M1Pro than my quad i7. I don't mean to imply I had any issues with the i7 whatsoever but if it'll be perceptibly better. I would imagine export times would be great, though they're already pretty fast. Almost makes me wish I sprung for the 1TB instead of 512 to store more of my library locally but I work constrained by a NAS so I won't see any improvement in loading times. Still excited.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Same

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

incoherent posted:

I'm not going to fuckin lie: Imma gonna spend 20 bucks on a cloth. These screens just pick up everything. I always thought people were disgusting pigs when I had to handle a MacBook with its screen off.

Then I bought one.

To be honest, get yourself one of these:

https://www.radtech.com/products/screensavrz-macbook-pro-keyboard-cover

I had for my Macbook Air and the keyboard and screen never got filthy.

They don't have one yet for the new MBP though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Since the cat hosed up the screen on my 2016 MacBook Pro, I was hoping to get a nice M1 Mac, but this has far exceeded my expectations and I …uh… may have went a liiiiitle crazy with it, but it feels loving great to finally have a top of the line machine.

I cannot wait to see how fast renders are. :toot:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

repiv posted:

Maybe in general, but for something like Octane that leans heavily on RTX acceleration the comparison might not hold up

Apples GPUs don't have any RT acceleration yet AFAIK

Yeah there really isn’t any RT specific acceleration hardware in the GPUs yet (and even if there was, the Metal API doesn’t support it yet. If you put a W6800 or RX6800 in a Mac Pro, you can’t take advantage of the RT specific hardware). They have added enhancements to the GPUs that will help speed up “normal” GPU accelerated rendering and it’s still much faster than rendering on the CPU.

I think Apple very quietly settled with Imagination and PowerVR is supposed to have RT support “soon” so we’ll see if Apple Silicon gets RT support in a few years. Get ready for Skeumorphism 2.0, this time with RT rendered Corinthian leather.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Oh, do people recommend just starting from scratch and installing everything fresh with the New Mac Pro? I’ve been importing the old machines to the new for like 12 years, and I suspect some of the odd things I experience like finder pref corruption is because of that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s hard as poo poo to get a GPU because of scalper/crypto bullshit so maybe these super powerful processors is the free market’s way of saying “make games for MacOS”

If the Max is truly as powerful as the 2080Ti, and the 2080Ti is like $8,000 on eBay or whatever, maybe a Mac Mini with a Max would be the best option for a ton of gamers.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Well, I went for the 10/16/16 GB/1 TB 14” model. Can’t wait to see how amazing this is as an upgrade to my 2013 Air

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/18/macbook-pro-hdmi-2-0-port/

Confirmed that the HDMI port on the new MMBPs is HDMI 2.0 and not the most current 2.1 which would have given us 4K @ 120Hz..

To get the 48 Gigabit needed for 2.1 they probably would have had to use up another TB port?

While there is nothing technically incorrect with this statement, its inherently outmoded. Thinking about Thunderbolt as being limited to a number of ports is Intel-centric logic. Same reason as there was *no* reason why the 13" iMBP had 2 ports, other than product stratification.

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

So many people in this thread are shocked and awed that people use their computers for more than playing Tetris and watching pornography.