Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the popularity of madden proves that accessibility is horseshit and games should be obtuse nonsense that nobody really understands if they want to be successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is Madden the same microtransaction hell as other sports games?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Is Madden the same microtransaction hell as other sports games?

It's called Madden Ultimate Team and it's basically what the game is about now

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

It's called Madden Ultimate Team and it's basically what the game is about now

Cool. I'm thankful we have some gambling addict Goons to stop by and defend that poo poo.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Everyone I know who plays Madden just does franchise mode and doesn't gently caress with the microtransaction stuff but w/e

It's popular because football is popular

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Madden/NCAA tournaments with football teammates are up there with LAN Halo 2 and Mario Party 64 as the greatest multiplayer video gaming memories of my life. On average every other year I’ll buy the newest madden out of nostalgia or because I want to play some multiplayer with a friend.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I tried the trial for madden22, can run the ball kind of like 2k5, it's actually not bad this year and i was reading its considered the best in awhile for yearly buyers.

American McGay posted:

The X is already out. Did you hit your head and wake up having only memories from September 2020?

They're sold out though right? She told me they're gonna have pre-orders for the next run and literally said "they come out December 21st, i mean they don't have a release date yet"

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 19, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Cool. I'm thankful we have some gambling addict Goons to stop by and defend that poo poo.

Who's doing that?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anybody tried multiplayer on cloud based Game Pass games? Getting set up for some Extra Life streaming and a friend’s wife wants to join in on our Golf With Friends shenanigans. I know that game is available on cloud, and I can’t see a reason to play without your friends, so I’m hoping MP is supported. Otherwise we may need to scrounge a One S from somewhere.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

highme posted:

Anybody tried multiplayer on cloud based Game Pass games? Getting set up for some Extra Life streaming and a friend’s wife wants to join in on our Golf With Friends shenanigans. I know that game is available on cloud, and I can’t see a reason to play without your friends, so I’m hoping MP is supported. Otherwise we may need to scrounge a One S from somewhere.

I did gears 5 coop just a few days ago via phone cloud, worked perfectly almost until the end when the connection got a little loose at times, resulting in input delay, but never when it mattered.

Just checked golf with friends even has touch controls.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

thatfuturekid posted:

Got my Series S finally, and ready to catch up on some Game Pass games. What are some of the more underplayed/overlooked gems on here? I've played most of the "big" titles (Hades, Prey, Celeste, Hollow Knight etc), but always love discovering stuff that may not be as known.

Oh! Alien Isolation! Scariest game ever made IMHO.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Costco in my area does indeed have series S in stock - I can even get free shipping

for reference the only reason I’m interested in an Xbox series s is because my PC is finally too old to comfortably play the new Battlefield decently, and maybe I miss controller Halo, but I suspect I’ll hook up a mouse and keyboard to it

…oh, and maybe Microsoft flight simulator? I might give that a go?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you wanna play modern games at 1080pish resolution (and occassionally missing RTX) the series S is a great choice. Be aware it doesn't have the overhead the Series X does so down the road who knows but for the last year its done as advertised.

That said it will run all those games, but mouse and keyboard controls are by developer. So Quake will let you do it but Im not sure say Battlefield will.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wolfs posted:

Costco in my area does indeed have series S in stock - I can even get free shipping

for reference the only reason I’m interested in an Xbox series s is because my PC is finally too old to comfortably play the new Battlefield decently, and maybe I miss controller Halo, but I suspect I’ll hook up a mouse and keyboard to it

…oh, and maybe Microsoft flight simulator? I might give that a go?

for me, jumping from a base PS4 and Switch to the Series S was/is still a noticeable upgrade, but it's not going to be full throttle like the Series X would be.

the only other real issue I've found is juggling games because it's a 512gb hard drive but only ~320gb is usable for games storage. If you've got a strong broadband connection and no data cap it's one thing, but if downloading regularly is an issue be aware going in.

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
I’ve been enjoying the hell out of playing quake with m + kb on my xsex, but I can’t seem to bind a key to open the chat to give my ggs which is annoying.

Regardless, it’s awesome seeing people playing quake

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Can you not just attach like 1 TB USB SSD and play games off of it?

or buy a random adapter so you don’t have to use the $200 seagate ones?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

wolfs posted:

I personally have an external ssd but I can't really expect someone already buying the S to want to spend more.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Well -
the XSeS is $289 at Costco

the XSeX is seemingly $900 at Walmart

and upgrading my RX 590/Ryzen 5 1400 system to recommended specs for BF2042 would - in normal times - probably run me $500ish
instead of say a grand for a new processor and video card

$289 is like the cost of my RX 590 a few years ago which is wild to me

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

wolfs posted:

USB hard drives can store current gen games and play older gen games, but to play current gen games you have to use the internal storage or special seagate drive.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ixnay posted:

USB hard drives can store current gen games and play older gen games, but to play current gen games you have to use the internal storage or special seagate drive.

Transferring from an external SSD to the internal SSD is quick if you're eternal drive is decent. I think I have a crucial MX500 as mine and it was a few minutes to move MCC from external to internal.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
On Game Pass I've been playing Day of the Tentacle with my kids and having a blast.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Mummy Napkin posted:

I’ve been enjoying the hell out of playing quake with m + kb on my xsex, but I can’t seem to bind a key to open the chat to give my ggs which is annoying.

Regardless, it’s awesome seeing people playing quake

Yeah that's my bad. The whole chat system kept needing constant work during the entire development, due to the EU's accessibility requirements. In the end it just wasn't ready for deployment on consoles, though I'm hoping to have time to sort it down in a patch later down the road.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

bushisms.txt posted:

I did gears 5 coop just a few days ago via phone cloud, worked perfectly almost until the end when the connection got a little loose at times, resulting in input delay, but never when it mattered.

Just checked golf with friends even has touch controls.

I got a notification about touch controls that led me down this train of thought, but apparently skipped over that. I’m gonna test drive on my phone to see how it plays.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Augus posted:

the popularity of madden proves that accessibility is horseshit and games should be obtuse nonsense that nobody really understands if they want to be successful

Modern sportsgame franchises are pretty obtuse and have too many mechanics.

Nes-era sports game were actually simple and accessible. Tennis, Ice Hockey, Double Dribble. Those were great fun.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I'm in the UK so American Football is not really a thing over here, however I did enjoy playing the Madden games on the SNES.

Remembering how much I enjoyed to those games from the years gone by, I decided to download and give one of the more recent versions a go.

I now have literally no idea what I'm doing, or what to press, or how to do things. It's pretty inaccessible which is a shame.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any fun to be had with the Avengers game?
168GB download :aaa:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The satisfaction of seeing a clean drive when you delete it a day later.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I would try it on the cloud first

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

The single player is fine and I enjoyed my time with it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This thing started out as a 125GB install, it keeps growing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The first post tutorial mission is an instant fail stealth level so I'll never know because why is there so much garbage between me and the like, actual game.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Avengers is super weird.

I genuinely like the Kamala Khan bits, she's great in the comics and her portrayal is fun to watch. But that's just cinematics.

When it comes time to play the video game I actively dislike just about everything. Moving around feels off. The camera feels off. Attacking enemies is completely awkward and finnicky and overly complex with a zillion abilities. You know how great it feels to slide from enemy to another in Arkham Asylum, spot attacks, dodge them, and pull off your handful of moves at the perfect time? It's twelve years later and combat in this is worse in every way. You basically just flail around while surrounded by a zillion dudes as a half-zillion icons indicate you should dodge, or use a super move, or maybe just stop playing.

Menus are designed to barf the maximum amount of annoying, useless information at you as possible. The first time you load the game you're greeted with all sorts of games-as-a-service garbage that you have to navigate to find the actual campaign, with some menus randomly requiring you to hold a button for X seconds instead of pushing a button. Not a deal-breaker in itself, but that first impression is indicative of the entire experience.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Black Widow is designed to play like Batman... but there's only ever like ten enemies around and you have three other players ai juggling them all over the place so good luck with that combo system.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1450447194599788549?s=21

Don't sleep on The Forgotten City. It's really good.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Zerot posted:

The punchline to their trailer is incredible.

https://youtu.be/zDF3VFaHSz0

Have to try it now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zerot posted:

gently caress yes. I always thought Forgotten City was coming day 1 so I was sad when it didn't. Looks great.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Have to try it now

For those who don't want to watch:

Really interested on it now.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

bushisms.txt posted:

Have to try it now

Did not see that joke coming!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zerot posted:

Age of Empires IV is going to be extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hell yeah, all this waiting for Alan Wake American Nightmare for more than a decade pays off